Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed, that is going to be so cool when you're finished. What are you going to cook your pizzas on?
    WHEN I'm finished it's going to look cool. And this is just the supporting structure and area for wood storage. It will still take a while before it's finished, at the pace it's going right now maybe at christmas.

The pizza's will be cooked on stone off course. The same stones the fire burns on.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    WHEN I'm finished it's going to look cool. And this is just the supporting structure and area for wood storage. It will still take a while before it's finished, at the pace it's going right now maybe at christmas.
    Pizza for Christmas dinner!!! I know my kids would love that idea. One year I made tamales for Christmas, it didn't go over too well with my brothers. They've come to expect standing rib roast, shrimp, scallops and twice baked potatoes - they bring the beer. It costs me about $800.00 to have the honor of cooking all day Christmas for those fools. I told them that's their Christmas gift and they'd either better chip in or get me something good. They opted to give me crappy gifts but they're so funny I can't even complain. I've gotten a tiara from the $1 store, a poster sized print of a photo of them(group gift), an ugly ass coat fur coat they found at the thrift store (I think it was mangy) and lots of random crap I've seen in their house that they just wrapped up. Boys...

Pizza for Christmas dinner!!! I know my kids would love that idea. One year I made tamales for Christmas, it didn't go over too well with my brothers. They've come to expect standing rib roast, shrimp, scallops and twice baked potatoes - they bring the beer. It costs me about $800.00 to have the honor of cooking all day Christmas for those fools. I told them that's their Christmas gift and they'd either better chip in or get me something good. They opted to give me crappy gifts but they're so funny I can't even complain. I've gotten a tiara from the $1 store, a poster sized print of a photo of them(group gift), an ugly ass coat fur coat they found at the thrift store (I think it was mangy) and lots of random crap I've seen in their house that they just wrapped up. Boys...
    I didn't mean I would make pizza at christmas lol. Like mentioned before, you can make pretty much anything in there. I'm not really into all the classic christmas foods, I just make a load of dishes that fit together each year. My family is welcome to come and eat, if they don't like it they can cook for themselves. So far they seem to come back each year so I must be doing something right.

I do hate the holidays though, all the organization and then people have other ideas and you have to change everything again. Found a nice recipe but the ingredients you're looking for are sold out, stuff like that. I'd rather just cook dinner for myself and whomever is around at that time instead of the pressure of something semi-formal.

More rain today... But it's pizza day. The supporting structure is coming together piece by piece, some more dusty cutting work tomorrow. I kind of wish I had picked smaller blocks or even regular bricks, these blocks probably are more suited to large straight walls, having to cut more than half of them to size is a real PITA.

Anyways, pizza today ! I'll try to make some pics, if I remember.

Do you have access to a tile saw?

If so most will swing a 10" blade and segmented blades are fairly inexpensive and will last forever in water....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Do you have access to a tile saw?

If so most will swing a 10" blade and segmented blades are fairly inexpensive and will last forever in water....
    Yes but that won't cut through them either, they're 4inch thick blocks and I have to cut some at a 45 degree angle. I have got a gas powered stone saw now, that's pretty heavy so it should go through there, still doesn't make it all the way through though but at least it's safer to work with than the big electric angle grinder.

Well $#@!!

If you were closer I have a friend with a 24" block saw.....

Thanks, I looked into renting a chainsaw for masonry work, but those don't seem to exist here. I'll have to and will manage with the angle grinder and stone saw. I'm not under any real time pressure which isn't necessarily a good thing. I hope there's less rain tomorrow, then I'll make some dust.

First I'm making pizza.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ok well, I made pizza, even made pics.. Just have to upload them. Maybe tonight, 5 minute job but I really hate it. .

Enough complaining, I worked with the gas powered stone cutter and that's a pretty neat tool, it's 50lbs or so but when it's fully running it's so heavy that kickback is impossible. The torque on that thing is amazing, once it's at full speed it doesn't wobble at all, where my 2000W Bosch blue does allow you to wobble and get kickback. It's the confidence I need to do the 45 degree cuts, I just need to make a little jig tomorrow so I can clamp these blocks at 45 degrees so I don't have to keep the sawblade at an angle(which was my safety concern with the electric angle grinder to begin with...). I hope to get all the sawing done tomorrow as well as mortaring these blocks in place. This job has taken too long so far, even though I had no planning, I just have to find some confidence in myself and get on with it. This whole project is one big fight against my perfectionism, I will win though.

Thanks, I looked into renting a chainsaw for masonry work, but those don't seem to exist here.

You can rent these at home depot:

DO NOT SET SAW DOWN UNTIL BLADE COMES TO A FULL STOP

$#@!ING NEVER EVER EVER; TWO HANDS ALL THE TIME

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    You can rent these at home depot:

DO NOT SET SAW DOWN UNTIL BLADE COMES TO A FULL STOP

$#@!ING NEVER EVER EVER; TWO HANDS ALL THE TIME
    If it comforts you, safety is my biggest concern, especially when I work with tools that are more powerful than me.

I have one of those, my neighbor lent me one. It still does not cut through the blocks in a single pass. One of the bolts holding the handle has mysteriously disappeared so I can't use it at the moment.

I'm back at using my 230mm angle grinder. I made a small jig that I use to keep the blocks at 45 degrees so I can keep the blade of my angle grinder perpendicular to the ground. I use a few other blocks (which are 10lbs each) to secure it in place. After cutting through from one side I turn it over and do the other side. I can just about cut through them that way and a small tap breaks them exactly where I want them to.

For various reasons I have not worked on the project for a while but I hope to get the supporting structure done tomorrow. Right now theres a giant thunderstorm over it so I hope the leaky tarp I used will be enough to protect what I did today.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.

(sheltering some sand from water that leaks through my leaky tarp.)

It may not appear as a lot of progress, but everything is mortared into place and the last layer is cut, these are not in the frame. This part will be done tomorrow. After which I can start on the fancy parts. I hope I can put a few more hours into this the coming weeks. I'll see what's possible.

This is one of the pizza's I made last week, I forgot to download the pics from my camera but here it is. Made in a more conventional electric oven.

If it comforts you, safety is my biggest concern, especially when I work with tools that are more powerful than me.
    Good to hear.

I live in stone cutter country. Its big business out here. Those are called "smoker" saws around here because of the dust they throw when cutting rock. A buddy of mine set a smoker saw down one handed; he swung it behind and to his left. He was wearing ear protection and oblivious to it still spinning. The blade bit rock and climbed up his left calf vertically to the bone. 50 stitches on the outside.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Good to hear.

I live in stone cutter country. Its big business out here. Those are called "smoker" saws around here because of the dust they throw when cutting rock. A buddy of mine set a smoker saw down one handed; he swung it behind and to his left. He was wearing ear protection and oblivious to it still spinning. The blade bit rock and climbed up his left calf vertically to the bone. 50 stitches on the outside.
    Sorry to hear about your buddy, that does not sound like an accident that is fun to have. I have never had an accident with power tools but I'd say that's mostly due to me not rushing things. My kind of accident is bumping into things, like my knee into a wall. I can see how it becomes increasingly difficult to not have a serious accident when you work with these tools day in day out, at some point you are likely to make a mistake or get careless.

The electric angle grinder does produce a similar amount of dust. I was first wearing a paint-mask with dust filter but I changed that for a simple dust mask. Seems to stop of the dust. The ground around where I'm cutting is completely covered in Mars colored dust. I think this dust would also be perfect for testing Mars rovers since it's very powdery and the smallest amount of water turns it into a horrible ball bearing wrecking clay.

I live at the end of Europe's river system basically. We don't have any real rocks that we can mine so almost all of our building is done with clay based brick products. We have plenty of rivers so clay bricks are abundant and cheap. The building blocks I'm using here are pretty rare here though, these are more commonly used in Eastern-Europe.

It looks like it's rain season here. I think we have not had a day without rain in the last two weeks.

I'm almost finished with the interior part but as you can see I could use a bit less rain.

Some leftover slices. These were left over after I cut these blocks into 4" high blocks for the top course. After that just a course of normal bricks to get the to right height.

The weather forecast says more rain until Wednesday...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Not the best weather still, but in between the red dots there's sunshine. Good enough to do some work.

In between rainstorms today I finished cutting the blocks. Lots of fun with high humidity and safety glasses.
    It's starting to take shape and it's looking like my octagon design is going to pay off and look really nice. A little bit more work and I can poor the oven floor, can't wait.

Finished... Will make pics later because this topic starts to look like a monologue! Glad I got the worst part out of the way, from now on it's just fun. At least I hope so.

Ok pics. It doesn't look like an oven yet but there's something taking shape.

Got visitors... have to leave it here.

My dough, I made some pizza's tonight. The tiny one is for the dog, she's 14 years old and she really likes stuff she shouldn't eat so who am I to stop her.

<click to enlarge>

Pizza Margarita as it goes into the oven.

As it comes out, sadly I cannot get the same kind of coloring on the crust that a WFO (wood fired oven) would do, but soon I will be able to. (I had to economize on the basil or my patch of green deliciousness would have been completely destroyed)

Chorizo sausage pizza.

<click to enlarge>
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-24-2014 at 02:36 PM.

My dough, I made some pizza's tonight. The tiny one is for the dog, she's 14 years old and she really likes stuff she shouldn't eat so who am I to stop her.

<click to enlarge>
    Please share with us your dough recipe. This is the recipe I've been using along with the "hot skillet" method of cooking in an oven. Works pretty good but just cannot simulate WFO. http://www.lamag.com/lafood/recipes/...tanstyle-pizza

I have been planning for over a year now to make a "FrankenWeber" pizza oven: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...za-hacker.html. So busy it looks like this fall before I can start.

Last edited by phill4paul; 08-24-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Pizza Margarita as it goes into the oven.

As it comes out, sadly I cannot get the same kind of coloring on the crust that a WFO (wood fired oven) would do, but soon I will be able to. (I had to economize on the basil or my patch of green deliciousness would have been completely destroyed)

Chorizo sausage pizza.

<click to enlarge>
    I love chorizo, those look so good.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's his dough recipe.

I have simplified my dough although it takes time to develop.

The flour I use is classified as 'pastry flour' in the US.
    I use, 2% salt 2% yeast and 65% water.

I use cool water, I first let the yeast develop a bit in the water for half an hour. No sugar.
    Then I add that to the flour and knead it until it looks like a pretty good dough, then add the salt and knead more until it's mixed in well with the dough.

Then I rest my dough for 15-30 minutes with a damp cloth over it. Then I weigh each piece of dough and roll them into a ball. Then they go into the fridge for 24 hours to develop. It's important that the dough does not get warm during kneading, so don't knead too heavily. This is a cold rise, it's different.

When you're using the dough let it sit outside the fridge for half an hour to an hour so it gets to the right elasticity. I use semolina to keep my dough from sticking, it adds a bit of texture to the crust without changing the flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Please share with us your dough recipe. This is the recipe I've been using along with the "hot skillet" method of cooking in an oven.http://www.lamag.com/lafood/recipes/...tanstyle-pizza

I have been planning for over a year now to make a "FrankenWeber" pizza oven: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...za-hacker.html. So busy it looks like this fall before I can start.

Here's his dough recipe.
    Bah, I must have missed it. I've missed quite a bit on this thread and am going to have to re read some of it. +rep

Please share with us your dough recipe. This is the recipe I've been using along with the "hot skillet" method of cooking in an oven.http://www.lamag.com/lafood/recipes/...tanstyle-pizza

I posted my dough recipe here somewhere before but I'll do it again.. I like to share what I know.

My recipe is based on percentages, like a bakery uses. Everything is a ratio in regard to the flour.

Flour '100%' (pastry flour, Caputo 00 is te best off course)
    Water 65% (cold or warmish depending on the time)
    Salt 2%
    Yeast 2%

With a short time span use 1% sugar (which is what I did in these pics but I normally don't), first mix yeast water and sugar, use warmish water. Then mix with flour until doughy. Add salt and knead until everything is neatly incorporated. Portion and put in the fridge for 2hrs. Rest outside the fridge with a moist cloth for 30-60mins and it's ready.

When you have more time, don't add sugar and make sure your dough never warms up, put the portioned dough in the fridge, the easiest way is to use individual plastic tubs with lids, they tend to get a bit sticky. Unless you have a professional fridge that you can fit trays in this is the way to go. Leave them for 24hrs, then 30mins outside the fridge with the moist cloth.

that oven looks like a very compact thing. The only problem I can see with that is that the fire gets too close to the pizza causing excess blackening. But it's much more portable then my giant structure. Go for it, I'll await your topic .

Hot skillet method isn't too bad, a friend of mine tried to make pizza in a big green egg bbq, with a pizza stone, at the temps you normally use in a WFO. Pizza looked fine until we took it out, black underneath.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.

I love chorizo, those look so good.
    I actually wanted to buy salami but when I was at the butcher/delicacy store I accidentally asked for chorizo. But it's tasty as well.

Bah, I must have missed it. I've missed quite a bit on this thread and am going to have to re read some of it. +rep
    Thanks. There's more to come, I'm glad I have the first bit settled now, but I don't think I have done half of the work yet.

The insides of these compartments are going to be rendered, I think I may also add some wooden framing in order to protect the rendering from heavy abuse by split logs. I'm quite pleased by the way it turned out. These blocks weren't easy to cut. Very hard and brittle, they are designed for specific purposes. Normally you only use mortar underneath and on top, where I didn't have a knife/fork situation I filled the joint with mortar as usual with brickwork. These blocks are the most stable thing ever as long as they're loaded. When theres no load on them you can 'easily' tap them over. Once they're loaded with weight they're quite insensitive to earthquakes. I really like these blocks and if I were building something bigger like a house I would definitely use them for interior walls, although I'd use ones twice as wide.

Scraps... I have a few more but not too much, so far this I have been salvaging scraps more than making them, great.

Does anyone know if a Bosch jig saw (with a new blade to be sure) that seems to have a bent trajectory while sawing is possible to repair ? The stupid thing looks fine until you start sawing into something, the blade bends over to to left a bit and I can't get an accurate cut. I don't really want to buy a new one. I can borrow one from a neighbor but I'd rather fix my own if possible.

I'm working on a few moulds for the arcs that will be in front of the four compartments for wood, basically it's going to be 2 sort of half circle (not sure yet but probably a parabola) 8 inches apart, and held up at the right height so I can rest the arc stones on there until it's loaded and the mortar has set. So I really need a jigsaw or bandsaw to cut the arc.. I hate sanding and filing so I don't want to correct the error of my machine with hard work.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast