Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

The rebar has to move..
    http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/20...ws/reviews.htm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well bending won't help, it's the hole in the concrete that's in the wrong spot. Luckily I can laugh about it. The thing probably does fine with 2 pieces of rebar.

Just had another look at it. I'll probably just grind them off flat with the surface. It really sucks because everything else worked out so well... I'd have expected more problems with the arch but that all went pretty damn perfect.

The weird thing is, I made the same mistake on both sides. Even though my drawing was good. The only thing I can think of is that I copied the same 6cm center-center while these bars should have had a distance of 5cm.
    "I am a bird"

Got a couple bags of 8-16mm gravel, arranged the vibrator. Filled the gaps with polyurethane foam.

The worst part was getting everything level.. I used wedges to get everything level, then fixed the 3 moulds to each other. Afterwards I filled the gap with foam. I was initially thinking about locking it in place with some clamps but it's solid as a house already.

I finally opted to just cut off the rebar that was in the wrong place. I bent them inward (they are still connected on top) as well as the stumps that remained. It's floating rebar now but the other 2 pieces still connect to the slab. It will be fine.

Just when I had everything set up it started to rain... That's why I ran inside to write this.
    "I am a bird"

Just when I had everything set up it started to rain... That's why I ran inside to write this.
    Just prewetting your forms to help the mud stick to 'em....

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Just prewetting your forms to help the mud stick to 'em....
    Yeah.. I'm thinking of adding a slight amount more cement than normal. Normal is about 300kg/m3, but 350kg/m3 should give a bit denser mix.. I'm probably going to take the middle road on that.
    "I am a bird"

Yeah.. I'm thinking of adding a slight amount more cement than normal. Normal is about 300kg/m3, but 350kg/m3 should give a bit denser mix.. I'm probably going to take the middle road on that.
    I was being a smart alec.........

Concrete will adhere tenaciously to damp forms when cured, some type of form release is advised.....

Out here concrete is ordered by the bag-mix, 4 bags per yard, etc.... If memory serves Quikcrete is a 6 bag mix which is pretty stiff....(The metric equivalent is difficult for me)

I was being a smart alec.........

Concrete will adhere tenaciously to damp forms when cured, some type of form release is advised.....

Out here concrete is ordered by the bag-mix, 4 bags per yard, etc.... If memory serves Quikcrete is a 6 bag mix which is pretty stiff....(The metric equivalent is difficult for me)
    Metric is how I ride...
    "I am a bird"

Metric is how I ride...
    I understand.....

I can do mm to fractional inches in my head (My big equipment is SCMI and is graduated in mm)

I just don't do anything with cubic volume in metric so it's hard for me, but I do have Google...

I understand.....

I can do mm to fractional inches in my head (My big equipment is SCMI and is graduated in mm)

I just don't do anything with cubic volume in metric so it's hard for me, but I do have Google...
    I have general conversions for that... Otherwise if it has to be accurate I use the computer.

1m is about 3ft, therefore 1m3 is about 9/10cft.
    1 gallon is approximately 4L so 1m3 (1000L) is about 250gal.
    1kg is about 2lbs so 300kg is about 600lbs.

That's what I use, but I hardly ever use imperial apart from explaining thing to Americans lol . Or trying to figure out wtf they are talking about.

There's nothing wrong with imperial per se. Everything eventually is culturally and made up. The one thing that bugs me the most about imperial isn't even the fact that's not decimal (I mean there's no 10inch in a foot, probably wrong terminology here), that sucks but I can deal with it. The thing that bothers me most is the widespread use of fractions.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 06-14-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    "I am a bird"

That's what I use, but I hardly ever use imperial apart from explaining thing to Americans lol . Or trying to figure out wtf they are talking about.
    Still chuckling...

We're in the same boat but somehow we manage to get points across.....

Still chuckling...

We're in the same boat but somehow we manage to get points across.....
    I don't like being snobbish about metric or whatever. I really don't care. I just use what works best for me and I like to talk to people and share ideas... If I have to translate them for people to make the conversation easier, I'll happily do that. Exercising my brain is one of the few sports I really like. So I don't mind looking at things from different angles and perspectives.
    "I am a bird"

I don't like being snobbish about metric or whatever. I really don't care. I just use what works best for me and I like to talk to people and share ideas... If I have to translate them for people to make the conversation easier, I'll happily do that. Exercising my brain is one of the few sports I really like. So I don't mind looking at things from different angles and perspectives.
    I don't see either of us as being snobbish, just two blokes talking about building stuff.......

Measurements be damned if the end product looks and functions better than planned....

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see either of us as being snobbish, just two blokes talking about building stuff.......

Measurements be damned if the end product looks and functions better than planned....
    +rep for you, if only I were able to. I need to start repping some people.

I like to see a world where people do things to the best of their ability, I like economic growth and I like commerce. However, when it comes to society currently, I hate how there is a throw-away mentality. Most people I know go to Ikea or similar stores for furniture. They buy something, wreck it, and buy something new. No more demand for furniture makers and everybody has the same stuff. Worst of all, after a lifetime, they have spent much more of their income on furniture but have nothing to show for it.

The best example that I have right now is my skillets, they're simply steel skillets, I only ever wash them with hot water and I wipe them with some oil to keep them from rusting. These things last a lifetime, they are professional quality with big REAL hammered rivets, I get a lifetime warranty and they only cost 20-30 euro a piece. They are virtually non stick, there's no problem with metal cooking instruments, they are perfect if you want to deglaze.. They are easy to control in temperature.

Really, the only disadvantage to these pans over teflon pans is that you can't put them in the dishwasher and they are heavy...

What I want to say is, I like real things and I really like paying a lot more for handmade stuff, locally made preferably, like my shoes.
    "I am a bird"

15 pages. I thought it will be one page thread and finished within a week or two. You should produce Mexican soap operas.

He was amateur wood fired pizza ovens builder.

Then it was raining and he had to delay his adventure...

Also starring Tod Evans, the man who made our hero drill holes in wrong places:

What will happen next? Who started rumors that neighbors cat ended cemented in that oven?

Will unsafe working conditions finally lead to disaster?

Does he even like pizza? When will people get to taste it?
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Well it's not exactly that I don't have other things to do. This is more of a spare time project.

I laughed my ass off though! And it nearly crashed safari.
    "I am a bird"

Despite efforts of the worsening rain I managed to get it done. Sorry Barrex but I'll have to wait for a week or so before I take the mould off... Covered it. Now lets hope there's no giant air pockets or other funny stuff. Vibrated a couple times while filling, pretty short, a few seconds. Seemed to be enough although visibility in the vertical part was kind of non-existant.
    "I am a bird"

I'm having a real good day. Decided my neighbors won't get any pizza. They whined over the fence about my radio, gtfo just because they're old doesn't mean they are entitled to complete silence all day-every day. It was at a normal volume, around lunchtime, pretty windy day. Whiny old folks. Never complained about a single thing they do even though plenty of things irritate me. This is what you get back for it. Tolerance .

Well anyways, my camera broke down so I had some issues with that. Opened the body up and cleaned it all out with alcohol and after some cursing and cleaning it out some more everything seems to work fine again.. Real nice stuff those DSLR's but if you just want to snap pics, they suck.

Found some pics on my memcard though;

Rebar in the mould.

Right after pouring the chimney buttress.

Day later. Looks good to me. Absolutely no need to make it smooth...

The whole thing. I drilled 2.5" access holes in the top so I could put the vibrator down in the vertical part of the arch, when the arch was fully filled up to that point I screwed the circle I cut out back in. Then filled up the rest.

Going to wait about a week before I'm going to tear the moulds off. It seems they will come of easy, probably shouldn't say that. So this weekend they can come off. I've been keeping it wet for the first few days, as well as having covered it from the sun. When I knock on the moulds it sounds pretty dense.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 06-17-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Well, I've been crunching some numbers and thinking a bit. Actually I'm close to a headache. I've dusted off my math and figured out how to calculate the different bevel angles in the dome..

I've also decided to use 2 layers of 2" calsil board. I'll use a little less than 2" vermicrete underneath that to create a flatter surface than my concrete (dips a little more than 1/8th in the middle but the calsil boards have to be on a flat surface or they will break). Then on top of that I'm going to start the oven dome. Under the floor I'm going to put an extra 20mm of refractory concrete to increase the thermal mass. The total thermal mass of the oven is 3" thick. The dome is 4".

I made a mockup on some sheets of hardboard. Drew the oven floor and dome onto it. Since I don't have my floor ready to put any bricks down I'm going to cut some and put them on the template. I should be able to do a few courses like this before I have to use mortar to stick them into place to keep them from falling.

Anyways, I should speed up the build a bit.

Sunday, I'm going to remove the forms from the concrete...
    "I am a bird"

Well I sure hope this pic satisfies Barrex...

First course made to size, all bricks are tapered on two sides. The space for the joints is between 1/16th and 1/8th or so, they become slightly wider towards the outside of the dome. Sadly the first course is the easiest.. The first few should be ok, then there will be a need for a lot more weird cuts to fill in the spaces. I still have to get the stuff for the mortar but I'm going to have to return the water-cooled saw pretty soon.. After which I might have to rent one, so I figured I might as well start building the dome indoors without mortar, for as far as is possible.
    "I am a bird"

Post some big, beautiful pictures of the finished product!

And thanks for posting all this, Luctor. Very good project, and interesting. You're a true craftsman.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Post some big, beautiful pictures of the finished product!

And thanks for posting all this, Luctor. Very good project, and interesting. You're a true craftsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Still?
    "I am a bird"

Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Rome wasn't built in a day either........................

Sadly doing things for other people has a higher priority than doing things for myself. Life.
    "I am a bird"

Rome wasn't built in a day either........................

Sadly doing things for other people has a higher priority than doing things for myself. Life.
    I hope you're out there helping the ladies with their depression in your free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I hope you're out there helping the ladies with their depression in your free time.
    I'm on 24/7 duty... Apart from that I went through a couple gallons of green paint. It's a popular color around here for houses. Fixed a leaky chimney, some reparations to old masonry. Made some furniture for a bathroom.. A bunch of things have kept me busy. Sucks for you guys but good for me.

And there's more demand so it's really that I want to get some work done on the oven that has convinced me to put those other things aside.
    "I am a bird"

I cut the cal-sil boards to size, the ones I have. I still have to get a couple more this week to get to the thickness of insulation I want.

The stuff cuts like a dream, circular saw at the lowest speed, on the track and it goes through like butter. Hardly any dust with the vacuum hooked up. Didn't even feel the need to wear a mask.

The stuff is pretty strong, when you lift it up it and tap it it sounds like ceramics. At first I was afraid the stuff would easily break or chip but after I had a few small scraps I took a hammer to them and it's surprisingly strong. At first it dents but to make it break you have to hit it pretty hard, I don't think that really happens on accident. Although I've heard theres several different brands of the stuff and there have been people who had totally different experiences.

I'll snap a pic later but right now there's some cement/silica sand putty hardening that I used to level the slab just enough so I won't need more adhesive for the cal-sil boards. That stuff is pretty expensive. I tried gluing a small piece to a piece of concrete and it stuck immediately, dried out and it was as hard as rock. Good glue but I've found out that all the 'really good' materials you can use to build an oven are also, really expensive! So when the cement is hard I'll put those boards on and snap a pic.
    "I am a bird"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Pretty nice stuff to work with although I must say it's hard to get the right info on these materials, on how to work with them. I like to know what I'm am doing.
    "I am a bird"

Some more materials were delivered. The rest of the CalSil insulation. Two boxes of thermal blankets, called 'superwool', it's supposed to not have any asbestos fibers in it.

I also got half a gallon of sodium silicate solution to hopefully create a moisture barrier in the slab so water can't be drawn up into the insulation. Which shouldn't really happen anyways but I want to see how this product works.

I also listened to Tod Evans and got some high temp paste glue. Which is a mixture of Bauxite, Kaolin clay and sodium silicate (with a ceramic binding also if heated high enough). It's an airdrying refractory glue. It's only rated for sub 1/8th joints. So even with the tight joints I'm making I'd go slightly over this limit here and there. It requires a little testing but I hope I'll be ok. I've seen pics of people using the same product with 1/2 inch joints, wedge shaped joints, since they didn't taper their bricks.

So at the moment, I'm tending towards bought mortar since the cost would be about equal and at least this stuff is mixed properly... But it has to be suitable.
    "I am a bird"

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast