Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed bugs

Bed bugs

I sure don't like the thought of paying someone several hundred dollars to treat this problem. Is anyone aware how you can do-it-yourself? So far it looks like those little things are only in one bedroom. Any ideas on how this problem can be remedied?

In case you're wondering... I don't know the source of the problem. My best two guesses: perhaps they were brought back from an overseas trip in February or they came from my wife's place of employment.

Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not entirely sure, but I've read that really high temperatures will kill them. Until you figure it out, seal off the room as well as possible.

What a nightmare. I think I'd take everything out of the room and burn it, to start with.

Check out food grade Diatomaceous earth.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

High temperatures will kill them, so you should wash every single piece of bedding that you have in very hot water, and then dry them on the highest setting for as long as possible. If you have a steam unit, use it in crevices where the bugs like to hide. Those steam treatments are supposedly really effective.
    Last edited by Rothbardian Girl; 06-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    High temperatures will kill them, so I'd wash every single piece of bedding that you have in very hot water, and then dry them on the highest setting for as long as possible. If you have a steam unit, use it in crevices where the bugs like to hide. Those steam treatments are supposedly really effective.
    Yeah, that's what I recall. It'll probably mess up the paint and possibly even the floors (hoping he has hard floors.) I think I'd probably rip out carpeting if it's in the room. I have a steam mop that I'd use, that was reasonably inexpensive. Maybe one of those clothes-steaming units along with it for the walls, trim, etc.

Wrap all your mattresses in plastic and make sure to tape the seams securely. This will take care of the ones hiding out in your bedding. Put a thick layer of Vaseline on all the legs of all of your beds. This will take care of the ones that try and get at you after dark.

I read this in the comments on an article about bed bugs about a year ago. The guy said this got rid of every last one.

Quote Originally Posted by FloralScent View Post
    Wrap all your mattresses in plastic and make sure to tape the seams securely. This will take care of the ones hiding out in your bedding. Put a thick layer of Vaseline on all the legs of all of your beds. This will take care of the ones that try and get at you after dark.

I read this in the comments on an article about bed bugs about a year ago. The guy said this got rid of every last one.
    Do you recall how long you have to keep the mattress in plastic? It's rather unpleasant to sleep on that way, but I can see how it'd be effective.

I'd only add that you should strip your clothes off prior to leaving the room, put them in a plastic bag and immediately launder them to prevent spreading them around to the rest of the house (and because I know Danke will make some comment implying I'm pervy.)

Burn the whole house down. Seriously that is what we had to do. We tried for over 3 ears everything and finally bulldozed the place and moved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52654_498813191912_1585299_o.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	2682
    Last edited by UtahApocalypse; 06-21-2014 at 06:56 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You can cover your mattress with "DE" and cover it with a mattress cover then your sheet. It is non toxic to humans and no insect can become immune to it because it cuts them on a microscopic level and they loose their body fluids.

One source with some info including: http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/...hers/ent-3012/

Pesticides alone are not the answer to bed bugs. Most of the commonly used pesticides today, including professional products and consumer products advertised for control of bed bugs, are at best moderately effective at controlling these pests. Pesticides must be used with care for safety and with attention to proper application to work well. Aerosol “bug bombs” or “fumigators” are also mostly ineffective in eliminating bed bugs. Aerosol insecticides mainly kill insects that are exposed, and out of their hiding places, not those hidden behind baseboards, in cracks and crevices of the bed, under carpet edging and in walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    You can cover your mattress with "DE" and cover it with a mattress cover then your sheet. It is non toxic to humans and no insect can become immune to it because it cuts them on a microscopic level and they loose their body fluids.
    Cuts on a microscopic level? Wouldn't that make it a pretty itchy substance to humans?

Quote Originally Posted by samforpaul View Post
    I sure don't like the thought of paying someone several hundred dollars to treat this problem. Is anyone aware how you can do-it-yourself? So far it looks like those little things are only in one bedroom. Any ideas on how this problem can be remedied?

In case you're wondering... I don't know the source of the problem. My best two guesses: perhaps they were brought back from an overseas trip in February or they came from my wife's place of employment.

Thanks!
    They are a pain in the balls to get rid of. Don't use foggers (it drives them deeper into the walls). Watch to see one, and the babies are damn near translucent (before feeding) and follow where they go. They are smart. If they see you watching them, they won't go back to the nest.

Diatomaceous earth along the cracks... watch using too much. It gets kicked up when you move around and as much as it cuts the shell it is probably along the lines of asbestos.

Wash all fabrics in hot water and bleach. Bag up what you don't use. Vacuum daily and bag up the bags. Throw them out immediately. They will crawl out from the vacuum cleaner.

Caulk up every seam. Buy a seamless mattress cover.

If you are in an apartment complex, they are damn near impossible to get rid of. If you have them in a room, they are everywhere. Shoelaces, the insides of shirts. Bed bugs are a $#@!ing demon bug. A large part of the current infestation problem is troops coming home from overseas and DDT not being used. I tell you what though, you live in a place with them and you'll be taking Permethrin baths before long. Heating the apartment doesn't necessarily work (they hide inside the walls and can tolerate extremes of temperatures). Best of luck.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 06-21-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    Burn the whole house down. Seriously that is what we had to do. We tried for over 3 ears everything and finally bulldozed the place and moved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52654_498813191912_1585299_o.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	2682
    They will drive you insane.

A $#@!ing demon bug.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Do you recall how long you have to keep the mattress in plastic? It's rather unpleasant to sleep on that way, but I can see how it'd be effective.

I'd only add that you should strip your clothes off prior to leaving the room, put them in a plastic bag and immediately launder them to prevent spreading them around to the rest of the house (and because I know Danke will make some comment implying I'm pervy.)
    Bed bugs will live in freezing temperatures for six months or more without feeding. Heat a little less.

They get onto your shoelaces, along your collar etc., and will eventually infest everyone around you.

We resorted to boiling bleach water and throwing around the seams of the apartment complex. That and impaling them.

If ever a creature needed to go extinct, it would be the bedbug.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Bed bugs will live in freezing temperatures for six months or more without feeding. Heat a little less.

They get onto your shoelaces, along your collar etc., and will eventually infest everyone around you.

We resorted to boiling bleach water and throwing around the seams of the apartment complex. That and impaling them.
    I am honestly scared $#@!less about getting an infestation of these little bastards. I just read a local article that they're being transferred via library books. It's been about two years since I stayed in a hotel, but I'm actually worried about my kid staying with the great grandparents, since they have lots of guests. I can't throw boiling bleach water on people...well, unless their last name is "Cheney."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Do you recall how long you have to keep the mattress in plastic?.
    I don't remember, but kcchiefs' answer sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by FloralScent View Post

We had bug problems when I was living in Mexico. One thing to remember if you have taken the precaution of using Vaseline on the legs of the bed is to also make sure you never let the bedding hang out of the bed and touch the floor, walls or anything else the bugs can crawl on. Even after that, we found out they were falling out of the thatched ceiling of our bedroom so we had to use a canopy on the bed to fix the problem. As an added bonus, it also kept other debris from falling in the bed.

I found out the hard way about leaving the bedding touching the floor when I found a scorpion in my bed one night.

Now everybody can have a nice sleep trying not to itch all night from the thoughts of bugs being in their beds. (been there done that)

+1 donnay

Diatoms are badass, get yourself a 50lb bag of food grade online; should be < $100; put handfuls in front of a fan and let it disburse. Use a mask so you don't inhale. Dust and vacuum, dust and vacuum.... repeat ad nausem, every day... weeks and weeks and weeks.

also check out this:

7000 mg/h Shock Treatment Bare Bones Ozone Generator

http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Treatmen...zone+generator

You want to fill the room with ozone and leave it running with noone in there for like 24 hours.
    Last edited by presence; 06-21-2014 at 09:11 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    We had bug problems when I was living in Mexico. One thing to remember if you have taken the precaution of using Vaseline on the legs of the bed is to also make sure you never let the bedding hang out of the bed and touch the floor, walls or anything else the bugs can crawl on. Even after that, we found out they were falling out of the thatched ceiling of our bedroom so we had to use a canopy on the bed to fix the problem. As an added bonus, it also kept other debris from falling in the bed.

I found out the hard way about leaving the bedding touching the floor when I found a scorpion in my bed one night.

Now everybody can have a nice sleep trying not to itch all night from the thoughts of bugs being in their beds. (been there done that)
    Smartest bug I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Cuts on a microscopic level? Wouldn't that make it a pretty itchy substance to humans?
    No, you can eat it by the spoonful. The only bad thing is breathing too much of it into your lungs. I've wormed every dog, cat, or farm animal I've ever had with diatoms without ever having to resort to chemical treatments. I dust my home and bed at least once a year just as a precaution; we live in a multi pet flea free home without any chemicals.

If it were my situation... I'd ditch my collection of beds, couches, apolstered furniture, and carpet. Burn it. Sleep on a blow up mattress until the infestation is gone. They nest in apolstered goods. Take this situation seriously and hardcore before you lose the war.

Last edited by presence; 06-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    More info on that (use link in the article for how they do suggest you try to deal with it):
    http://bedbugabscond.hubpages.com/hu...omaceous-Earth

Does Diatomaceous Earth Work on Bed Bugs?

You can kill bed bugs with Diatomaceous Earth, but it takes time.

Using it alone it may be mostly ineffective. It is useful as part of a multimodal bed bug plan, http://bedbugabscond.hubpages.com/hu...tion-Checklist

Through experimentation and investigation I have learned the truth about DE and bed bugs.

Across the web, you will see site after site, and video after video, praising diatomaceous earth.

These may claim that it is the answer to all of your bed bug problems.

Sadly, this has caused a great deal of misinformation about this topic.

I hope to dispel misinformation here.

I recommend getting a free bed bug removal quote from a professional.

However, if you are going to do it yourself you should use this substance as part of your total bed bug plan.

The Experiment

The investigation started with 30 bed bugs.

Each one was kept in special enclosures. Some were trapped in pill bottles, such as in the pictures, and others in an ant colony.

At the bottom of each enclosure was a thick layer of Diatomaceous Earth (pool grade in some, food grade in others).

Bed bugs were placed in each enclosure for observation. Twice a day they were checked, and the results were odd.

The bed bugs did not die right away, or even a few days later. It took 7-14 days to kill them.

If you have a very minor infestation, you might be able to cure an infestation with this stuff.

It takes 10-14 days to kill healthy bed bugs, and bed bugs breed quickly.

The conclusion of the experiment was that DE alone will not cure a serious bed bug infestation.

It does help, though.

Diatomaceous Earth is made from silica.

These tiny particles seem kind of smooth to us, but to a bed bug they are razor sharp.

As they walk across the DE, it cuts up their abdomen. This causes them to become dehydrated and eventually die.

While the above statement is true, it is very slow acting.

Some of the bed bugs in the experiment lived for over 2 weeks in the enclosure.

It was obvious that they did not want to walk on the Diatomaceous Earth, but they would do it.

It was discouraging to see the length of time it took to kill bed bugs with DE.

When you think about the bedroom, bed bugs have lots of places to hide.

This brought up the question, “How does DE work in a real life situation?"

To answer this question, three families with bed bugs volunteered to try both food grade and pool grade DE.

Each family was given one or the other for the experiment. Before the family members began the experiment, they were briefed on safety issues.

For the most part, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is safe to use around pets and children.

However, this does not mean it is 100% safe.

Pool Grade DE is not safe to use in bed bug removal.

As mentioned above, DE is made from silica. It may seem harmless to the touch.

However, the mucosal lining of our repertory tract is not nearly as protected as the skin on the outside of our body.

When we breathe in DE, it can cause damage to the mucosal lining of the nose, sinuses, throat, bronchi and bronchioles.

Through my experiment with each family, quite by accident, I breathed in both food grade and pool grade DE.

Food grade DE caused a lot less irritation than pool grade.

I do not recommend the pool grade DE for bed bugs. It causes severe imitation that you don't get with food grade.

If you choose to include DE as a part of your bed bug plan, always use food grade.

After this experiment, I talked to as epidemiologist and a few doctors.

They confirmed that using pool grade DE is unsafe.

No one that used food grade DE became sick.

If you want to know more about the DE misinformation from the media, please see our good friends over at Bedbugger, they know there stuff.

They are one of the best bed bug resources on the net and have a great forum for users.

Zippy's post (#22) is correct. And if you generously apply DE, you will be coughing the $#@! up for weeks. You will taste it and it will make you sick.

This coming from the one who took Raid baths.

DE particles kick up with every movement. Unless you are half insane, and bed bugs will do that, do not gratuitously apply it. Keep it away from your vents. Try to track one back to its lair and scald it with boiling bleach water.

Wash your bed covers and clothing repeatedly. Move. Burn your belongings. Even the pest controllers won't guarantee an eradication. They tell you specifically that it is up to you and your diligence to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    More info on that (use link in the article for how they do suggest you try to deal with it):
    http://bedbugabscond.hubpages.com/hu...omaceous-Earth
    Holy crap. The grammatical mistakes hurt my brain. If you can spell diatomaceous, you should be able to spell "respiratory."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Picture at my link:

It also has this listed as "Bed Bug Supplies":
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Yeah DE is not about "pouring it on" its about daily dusting, use a fan to disperse it. You want a thin layer everywhere so no matter where the bugs are they have to cross it.

you can use a bellows

http://www.amazon.com/Anteater-Bello...4RXTZHYNH82D9R

but I've always just used a handful in a fan... then walk out of the home while it settles. wait a few days... vacuum... rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by presence; 06-21-2014 at 09:36 PM.

// double
    Last edited by presence; 06-21-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samforpaul View Post

Thanks!
    You've come to the right place. I have tussled with this particular devil and I won. Walmart and walgreen has a bedbug powder in some of their store that will instantly kill a bed bug the second they come in contact with it. Buy this powder and powder your mattress and the legs of your bed and the bed bugs bites will be gone the same day.

The exterminator will tell you to wash everything in your house(not just your room) and dry for 90 mins, vaccum etc etc before he can help you. But the power works without any of those pre treatment because they will come out of your cloths to the bed when they are hungry and with the powder protecting your bed, they will die once they move in to feed.

I will post the name of the powder when I get home, I still keep it on hand because bedbugs are by far the worst infestation that can happen to a person and I want my weapon in case they return. For one you are embarrassed that you have bed bugs and then the fear from bites keeps you from sleeping

Steam kills them. DE will prevent reinfestation. Don't breathe in the DE but people eat the food grade to get rid of parasites. Put it around bed legs and the mattress outside seams.

I have had two separate issues with them and the first time I just had to move out - the 2nd time it was the dead of winter so I opened up my windows and let my entire place freeze for days. That did the trick.

I had a friend who had a serious infestation and he built a CO2 trap - basically you jerry-rig some 2 liters with tubing so they produce CO2 out of tubes coming out of the top and then set them below some paper towels that touch the floor and lead into cups of liquid. The bugs are attracted to the CO2 - that's how they detect life - and they start to climb the paper towels like they would bedding and then once they get too far they fall into the liquid trap.

He said after a few weeks he got all of them doing this. I never believed it but he swears it works. There's probably more detailed info online.

They really are demon bugs and I'd love to know why they are re-appearing so we can kill the $#@!ers once and for all. The bites are unsightly and itch like hell.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast