Thread: Massie passes anti-NSA amendment!

Thumbs up Massie passes anti-NSA amendment!

Yesterday the House voted to approve an amendment to a defense appropriation bill shutting down the part of National Security Agency (NSA) "backdoor searches" that collects metadata on Americans without a warrant. The bill was sponsored by Reps. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) and Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.).

SOURCE:
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/20/house-passes-amendment-ordering-actual-r
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for huge victory!

Here's the roll call: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll327.xml

Yehawwwwwwwwwwwww!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

McCarthy voted against it, not a big surprise.

Good work though! Glad to see something pro-liberty get the majority of support from both parties. This is the one time where bipartisanship doesn't equate to $#@!ing the people over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    McCarthy voted against it, not a big surprise.

Good work though! Glad to see something pro-liberty get the majority of support from both parties. This is the one time where bipartisanship doesn't equate to $#@!ing the people over.
    Cantor voted against it too
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Shocked Pelosi voted for it....they must have too much dirt on her

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Cantor voted against it too
    If your point was to illustrate that our new majority leader is no different than our old, that's a point that we're all sadly aware of, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The problem with all this "new" legislation is that we should not have to pass laws like this. We already have a clear 4th Amendment to prevent this crap. By passing new laws to curtail certain aspects of the programs is to validate the other illegal acts they are getting away with.

Small victories I guess, but I am certain that nothing will change for the benefit of liberty. The legal definitions simply will be changed and the tyranny marches on.

I know that I am being too optimistic.

Any sort of chance this will pass the senate?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Bachmann again. Good lord can we please replace her?
    I thought she was retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    The problem with all this "new" legislation is that we should not have to pass laws like this. We already have a clear 4th Amendment to prevent this crap. By passing new laws to curtail certain aspects of the programs is to validate the other illegal acts they are getting away with.

Small victories I guess, but I am certain that nothing will change for the benefit of liberty. The legal definitions simply will be changed and the tyranny marches on.

I know that I am being too optimistic.

Exactly right.

Viable solutions are impossible from within the system, because the system is the problem.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Exclamation Congressman Massie & Americans, Huge Win Against the Surveillance Stasi State by the NSA

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...y-large-margin

NSA Restrictions Pass House by Large Margin

Amendment foes lacked time to fight back, sponsor says.

Reps. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., left, and Thomas Massie, R-Ky., led the successful House push to shut down the NSA's "backdoor" sources of information about Americans.
    By Steven Nelson June 20, 2014 | 11:31 a.m. EDT + More

The House of Representatives voted 293-123 late Thursday to ban two types of known “backdoor” National Security Agency surveillance practices.

The House-approved legislation would prohibit the NSA and the CIA from foisting surveillance-facilitating product redesigns on tech companies and require a warrant for access to American Internet records collected under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
    The measure passed as an amendment to the 2015 Defense Appropriations Act and to become law must survive the Senate before the spending bill goes to President Barack Obama for approval.

The large margin of victory was a surprise. Hours before the vote one of the amendment sponsors, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., told U.S. News she wasn’t sure if it would pass.

[READ: Hackers Attack NASA Website to Protest NSA]
    Reps. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., and James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., spearheaded the effort alongside Lofgren.
    Massie tells U.S. News the late introduction of the amendment - caused by parliamentary wrangling over whether it was “in order” - helped secure the win.
    “It was to our benefit that it moved quickly without a lot of advance notice, because [opponents] didn’t have time to mount a disinformation campaign,” Massie says. “We had just enough time to rally the outside groups and constituents, and they lacked just enough time to counteract that.”
    In July 2013 Obama administration officials furiously lobbied against the so-called Amash amendment that would have terminated the NSA’s collection of all American phone records - revealed a month earlier by exiled whistleblower Edward Snowden - contributing to its defeat by 12 votes.

[ALSO: DOJ Apologizes for Misleading Surveillance Court]
    Supporters see the Massie-Lofgren-Sensenbrenner amendment as an important supplement to the USA Freedom Act, which passed the House May 22 after being weakened at the behest of the Obama administration and more hawkish House members.
    The Freedom Act, which is awaiting Senate action, would end the NSA’s bulk phone record program. That collection, probably the most easily understood program revealed by Snowden, was secretly authorized under Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act for seven years before it was exposed in June 2013. After months of defending the program, Obama pivoted in March and said he supports its termination.
    Many anti-mass-surveillance lawmakers bailed on the Freedom Act after it was modified to win broader support. Among other alterations, the bill was amended to remove the warrant requirement for the warehoused electronic communications of Americans, and Lofgren warned in committee its shortcomings would open the door for further abuse.

[AL GORE: NSA's Law-Breaking Worse Than Snowden's]

“This [amendment] doesn’t fix everything that’s wrong, but it’s a worthwhile step forward and will make a meaningful difference,” Lofgren told U.S. News Thursday. “There’s a lot of information about U.S. people outside the United States – for example, server farms are outside the U.S. and have all the information about Americans [and] the NSA has admitted publicly that they do in fact collect information about Americans without a warrant using this process [and] they have admitted they query the database for Americans without a warrant.”
    The built-in product defect ban, she said, would not only protect Americans from government surveillance, but from cybercriminals.
    Massie says the amendment would ensure that Americans' emails, photos and other digital records intercepted by the NSA aren't accessible without probable cause.
    “It’s very significant: Up to now the conversation has been about metadata, but as recently as March we learned the NSA is querying its collection of content with U.S. person identifiers,” he says. “This amendment goes to the heart of keeping the government from snooping on the content of your communications.”

Though the amendment passed by what would be a veto-proof majority for a standalone bill, some party leaders stood in its way.

Freshly crowned House Majority Leader-elect Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., opposed the amendment, bucking the majority of his party. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., similarly voted against the majority of her caucus.

A White House spokesperson did not immediately offer comment on the amendment.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Tom Cotton voted against it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Tulsi Gabbard is another Democrat that has been good on this issue.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is the most epic Massie pic ever.

About the only way one can listen through their bull$#@!.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

now i am in a good mood, in light of what this says about our Bill of Rights and how often we take the time to reread it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are the prospects that it will pass the senate?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Good on hm for trying. (not that i think for a second they will comply)

The down side is,, that it will only take effect if the rest of the Appropriation Bill passes.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Tom Cotton voted against it.
    He's vile human debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Shocked Pelosi voted for it....they must have too much dirt on her
    She probably pre-arranged to get it shaken out during reconciliation.

Looks like Dax scared wankford into not voting at all. We had a good laugh about it yesterday at the capitol.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

123 noes. Cantor, Rogers, King... and Wasserman Schultz?

it's kind of nice to have a hit list with a few dead on it.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what is the current status of this? Has the amendment been stripped out in the Senate? Or has the Senate not even touched this yet?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Lofgren is at the epicenter of Silicon Valley, so this is encouraging.

Should I be amazed that the U.S. House was working on a Saturday?

This is pretty worthless. For one it doesn't ban FBI, DOJ, DHS, etc. from spying on Americans without a warrant. In fact they are pushing for expanded domestic spying powers and the program would just move somewhere else.

Secondly, there is this EO which means the patriot act is a worthless smokescreen.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...an-Patriot-Act

SEE! WE FIXED IT! ... NOT!

Can Congress or the courts repeal a secret EO...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    He's vile human debris.
    Please don't degrade vile human debris.