Thread: Why Walmart and Costco shrimp prices are so low - and why you should never buy from them again

Why Walmart and Costco shrimp prices are so low - and why you should never buy from them again

Why Walmart and Costco shrimp prices are so low - and why you should never buy from them again

Thursday, June 19, 2014 by: S. D. Wells

Some of the most popular American corporations are importing shrimp at super-cheap prices from Thailand, where migrant workers are in slavery, like in Nazi Germany, being tortured while they work for no pay 20 hours a day. How much shrimp is being imported that's processed by slaves, including child slaves? Walmart and Costco are contributing to the chaos, buying and selling shrimp exported from Thailand every year, and it's slave-labor shrimp at "rock bottom" cost. No wonder Walmart and Costco are such "successful" businesses. What else are they buying that's made by slaves who are tortured mentally and physically while working 20-hour days for zero pay? Wine, maybe?

Expensive television advertising costs and slave labor

No wonder these massive corporations can afford to advertise regularly on TV. Now you see what corporations are really doing to America, supporting this, and adding to the "behind-closed-doors" slavery, much like Nazi Germany 75 years ago. Are you a criminal if you know about criminal activity and still give the perpetrators your money?
    (http://www.foothilltech.org)

Now we all see where real advertising revenue is generated -- by selling super-cheap shrimp, and we're talking about FARM-RAISED shrimp that are fed toxic non-edible seafood and processed by tortured slaves. No wonder these huge American corporations can afford to advertise, during prime time, or during the Superbowl, and have billboards near every major highway exit, and full-page/full-color ads on the back page of newspapers.

Natural News' J.D. Heyes reported:

A 2013 report by the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) titled "The Hidden Cost: Human Rights Abuses in Thailand's Shrimp Industry" notes that the country is the largest exporter of shrimp in the world, exporting over 392,000 tons in 2011; 46 percent of that shrimp went to the U.S., while Thailand accounted for more than 10 percent of Europe's total shrimp imports.

"The shrimp industry is heavily reliant on migrant workers, many of whom are trafficked and face arduous journeys before having to endure abusive conditions in Thailand's exploitative shrimp factories," the report said. "Due to a desire to keep costs as low as possible, major exporting companies often subcontract to external pre-processing facilities. These facilities, also referred to as 'peeling sheds', remove the heads, veins and hard shell of shrimp and prepare it for secondary or value-added processing. This pre-processing stage of production is the most labor-intensive and least regulated aspect of an otherwise sophisticated supply chain. This informal nature makes it particularly prone to poor working conditions, breaches of national and international labor standards, child and forced labor, exploitation and abuse."

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I only buy American shrimp .

I only buy local shrimp. When I eat shrimp it was caught within 50 miles from me. No supermarket seafood for me. The fish i eat are fish I catch when I take the boat out in the inlets and waterways.

Grilled Spanish mackerel/blue fish 45 minutes after being caught? Delicious. Red drum? My mouth is watering

Shoot everything i catch has been good. Hogfish is turning into a favorite because they are do good fried whole and you can catch enough to feed 3 families in less than an hour

I don't shop at Walmart because this is just one of many strikes I have against them--Walmart does this across the board, with slave labor.

I was actually surprised to hear Costco does this. I have a membership and I am going to be letting them know that I will not renew my membership until they stop these practices.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Walmart, Costco tied to slave labor in shrimp industry.... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5560707

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Walmart, Costco tied to slave labor in shrimp industry.... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5560707
    Sorry NC. I didn't see that thread.

I wouldn't buy anything at that hole, let alone their "meat." It would be like buying clothes at Dollar General.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Sorry NC. I didn't see that thread.
    No worries. I was just linking them together is all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it is truly slave labor then that is what a base form of government is meant to stop - to ensure that another person cannot get away with violating your rights. Most likely their government officials are in bed with the shrimping industry and the government is failing at its one and only job.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

This article is a fake.

Who are the migrant workers in this? Cambodians. After the flavor of the month military regime installed itself in Thailand recently, it decided to score some points with the public and start kicking out all the immigrants that are taking their jerbs.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...857239497.html

Around 200,000 Cambodian migrant workers have returned from Thailand over the course of just 12 days. While many say they are coming of their own accord - fearful amid rumours of crackdowns, arrests and even killings by an increasingly strict Thai military government - others have been arrested in what appear to be well-coordinated raids.

"I'll go back to Cambodia, make a passport and come back," he said. "It's a good job there - we make between 15,000 and 17,000 baht ($460-520) every two months."
    Keep in mind a median income in Cambodia might be around $80-150 a month. They don't go Thailand to become slaves, they go to double their income. Notice how they flee not because of their living conditions, but because the new tyrants on the block start roughing them up and throwing them in cattle cars. Once that anecdotal fisherman realized how good he had it there, he's already sold on getting enough money to get a passport (between $100-200 for a Cambodian national) and come back for more.

Another fantastically misleading report by Natural News.

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    This article is a fake.

Who are the migrant workers in this? Cambodians. After the flavor of the month military regime installed itself in Thailand recently, it decided to score some points with the public and start kicking out all the immigrants that are taking their jerbs.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...857239497.html

Keep in mind a median income in Cambodia might be around $80-150 a month. They don't go Thailand to become slaves, they go to double their income. Notice how they flee not because of their living conditions, but because the new tyrants on the block start roughing them up and throwing them in cattle cars. Once that anecdotal fisherman realized how good he had it there, he's already sold on getting enough money to get a passport (between $100-200 for a Cambodian national) and come back for more.

Another fantastically misleading report by Natural News.
    People who read Natural News are just asking themselves to be deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    What about these sources?

Walmart, Costco tied to slave labor in shrimp industry - http://rt.com/usa/165168-thai-shrimp...y-slave-labor/

Revealed: Asian slave labour producing prawns for supermarkets in US, UK - http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...d-slave-labour

Walmart, Tesco and Costco among retailers responding to revelations of slavery in prawn supply chains - http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...-supply-slaves

We asked those named in our investigation to comment on our finding of slavery in their supply chains.

All said they condemned slavery and human trafficking for labour and conducted rigorous social audits. Some appeared already aware that slavery had been reported in the Thai fishing sector and said they were setting up programmes to try to tackle it.

Walmart, the world's largest retailer, said: "We are actively engaged in this issue and playing an important role in bringing together stakeholders to help eradicate human trafficking from Thailand's seafood export sector."

Carrefour said it conducts social audits of all suppliers, including the CP factory that supplies it with some prawns. It tightened up the process after alerts in 2012. It admitted that it did not check right to the end of its complex chains.

Costco told us it required its suppliers of Thai shrimp "to take corrective action to police their feedstock sources".

Tesco said: "We regard slavery as completely unacceptable. We are working with CP Foods to ensure the supply chain is slavery-free, and are also working in partnership with the International Labour Organisation and Ethical Trading Initiative to achieve broader change across the Thai fishing industry."

Morrisons said it would take the matter up with CP Foods urgently. "We are concerned by the findings of the investigation. Our ethical trading policy forbids the use of forced labour by suppliers and their suppliers."

The Co-operative was among those claiming it was already working to understand "working conditions beyond the processing level". "The serious issue of human trafficking on fishing boats is challenging to address and requires a partnership" in which it is actively engaged, it said.

Aldi UK said its contractual terms stipulate that suppliers do not engage in any form of forced labour. "Aldi will not tolerate workplace practices and conditions which violate basic human rights."

Iceland said it only sourced one line containing prawns from a CP Foods subsidiary but was pleased to note that CP was "at the forefront of efforts to raise standards in the Thai fishing industry".

The supermarket sector has been aware of conditions on some Thai fishing vessels for a while, thanks to reports from the UN and NGOs. In a 2009 survey by the UN inter-agency project on human trafficking (UNIAP) 59% of migrants who had been trafficked on to Thai fishing boats said they had seen the murder of a fellow worker.
    I can probably produce a few more if these aren't sufficient either.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-22-2014 at 12:22 PM.

The Global Shrimp Industry Has a Slavery Problem
    It's possible you buy shrimp from stores that buy from farms that buy feed from producers that employ slave labor.

By Brian Resnick

A globalized food system ensures that consumers the world over can purchase virtually any product, reasonably fresh, in any season, anywhere. The costs from such luxuries are usually seen in the form of unequal offshore pay and the environmental impact. But what if those food options are tainted by something a lot more sinister?

New information unearthed in The Guardian suggests that in the long chain of production that shrimp take from Southeast Asia to the American dinner table, slave labor factors in. In summary:

The investigation found that the world's largest prawn [shrimp] farmer, the Thailand-based Charoen Pokphand (CP) Foods, buys fishmeal, which it feeds to its farmed prawns, from some suppliers that own, operate or buy from fishing boats manned with slaves.

Men who have managed to escape from boats supplying CP Foods and other companies like it told the Guardian of horrific conditions, including 20-hour shifts, regular beatings, torture and execution-style killings. Some were at sea for years; some were regularly offered methamphetamines to keep them going. Some had seen fellow slaves murdered in front of them.

Continued...

Who the hell buys shrimp at Walmart?

I didn't even know they sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Who the hell buys shrimp at Walmart?

I didn't even know they sold them.
    They do and the frozen cocktail shrimp are cheaper there than anywhere , but I am not interested in any Chinese shrimp .Now , if I lived in Siam , I would eat shrimp from there.

I feel like I experienced some slave labor this weekend , mine. I mowed my ditch yesterday , went down the way to the bed & breakfast , mowed the dam for the pond there , bought an old chicken house , moved it to my place . Today , pulled a tire off the Grand Son's Wife's car , plugged a big hole ( new tire) , went to a friends and put in an AC he bought . I have had enough , going to drink beer and bbq pork chops , now

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They do and the frozen cocktail shrimp are cheaper there than anywhere , but I am not interested in any Chinese shrimp .Now , if I lived in Siam , I would eat shrimp from there.
    Wow, I wouldn't even buy socks at Walmart much less shrimp, I care how cheap they are....ewww.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't even buy socks at Walmart much less shrimp, I care how cheap they are....ewww.
    I usually get my socks at the Farm Store or the Bait , Tackle , Tractor Repair & Gun shop.

LibForestPaul

Total information awareness.
    Total information control.

Hard to act when one knows much of a reality that may or may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Everything DonnaY posts is a lie. It's beyond pathetic.

Everybody here knows that my husband is in this business. I can absolutely assure you that when he went to Thailand to buy shrimp, he wasn't there buying for WalMart and Costco. He was there on behalf of Whole Foods. So all you liberal WalMart haters are once again proving that you're dumber than rocks.

Something that the liberal bullshitters don't ever mention, because they are liars who are more interested in hating capitalists than they are actually working for liberty.

DonnaY has stated she's pretty much done with politics. So why the $#@! is she still here, posting bull$#@! on a POLITICAL forum?
    Last edited by angelatc; 06-23-2014 at 06:35 PM.

I was curious about who founded the website, here's what I've found so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Founder[edit]
    Michael Allen "Mike" Adams (born 1967 in Lawrence, Kansas),[9] the self-described "Health Ranger", is the founder and owner of NaturalNews. According to his own website his interest in alternative nutrition was sparked by developing type II diabetes at the age of 30 and "completely curing" himself using natural remedies.[8] He is a raw foods enthusiast and "holistic nutritionist". He says he eats no processed foods, dairy, sugar, meat from mammals or food products containing additives such as MSG.[8]

Adams is an AIDS denialist,[10] a 9/11 truther,[11] a birther[10] and endorsed conspiracy theories surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting,[12] as well as surrounding the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.[13] He has endorsed Burzynski: Cancer Is Serious Business, a movie about Stanislaw Burzynski.[14] Steven Novella characterises Adams as "a dangerous conspiracy-mongering crank".[4] Adams has also written a favorable review of the pseudoscientific film House of Numbers on NaturalNews, which is reprinted on the film's website.[15]

Phil Plait accused Adams of using sockpuppet accounts to inflate vote counts in the Shorty Awards (Joseph Mercola was also accused of doing this)[16] specifically in response to a skeptical campaign to upvote Rachael Dunlop. After losing when his fraudulent votes were revoked, he posted articles criticizing the Shorty Awards.[17] Dan Berger draws alt-med cartoons for them, though Adams comes up with the concepts.

Reception[edit]
    David Gorski of ScienceBlogs called the site "one of the most wretched hives of scum and quackery on the Internet," and the most "blatant purveyor of the worst kind of quackery and paranoid anti-physician and anti-medicine conspiracy theories anywhere on the Internet".[18] Peter Bowditch of the website Ratbags,[19] and Jeff McMahon writing for Forbes commented about the site.[20] Steven Novella of NeuroLogica Blog called NaturalNews "a crank alt med site that promotes every sort of medical nonsense imaginable. If it is unscientific, antiscientific, conspiracy-mongering, or downright silly, Mike Adams appears to be all for it – whatever sells the "natural" products he hawks on his site."[6]

Individuals who commented about Adams' website include astronomer and blogger Phil Plait,[21] PZ Myers,[22] and Mark Hoofnagle.[10] Brian Dunning listed it as #1 on his "Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites" list.[23] Adams is listed as a "promoter of questionable methods" by Quackwatch.[24] Robert T. Carroll at The Skeptic's Dictionary said, "Natural News is not a very good source for information. If you don't trust me on this, go to Respectful Insolence or any of the other bloggers on ScienceBlogs and do a search for "Natural News" or "Mike Adams" (who is NaturalNews). Hundreds of entries will be found and not one of them will have a good word to say about Mike Adams as a source."[25]

After Patrick Swayze's death in 2009, Adams posted an article in which he remarked that Swayze, in dying, "joins many other celebrities who have been recently killed by pharmaceuticals or chemotherapy."[26] Commentators of Adams' article on Patrick Swayze included bloggers such as David Gorski[27] and Phil Plait, the latter of whom called Adams' commentary "obnoxious and loathsome."[28] When Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy in May 2013 because she had the BRCA1 gene, Adams stated that "Countless millions of women carry the BRCA1 gene and never express breast cancer because they lead healthy, anti-cancer lifestyles based on smart nutrition, exercise, sensible sunlight exposure and avoidance of cancer-causing chemicals."[29] Gorski called the article "vile" and noted that Adams had written similarly themed articles about the death of Michael Jackson, Tony Snow, and Tim Russert.[30]

In 2014, Brian Palmer, writing in the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Illinois, criticized the site's promotion of alternative medicine treatments, such as bathing in Himalayan salt and eating Hijiki seaweed, and referred to the claims NaturalNews made about their efficacy as "preposterous."[31]

Shawn Lawrence Otto mentions the site, specifically its discussion of the Vioxx controversy, in his list of references in his book Fool Me Twice, and New York Times reporter Christopher Kelly has mentioned Adams' endorsement of Jim Marrs' books.[32]
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews:

Non-medical conspiracy theories

Adams' love for woo isn't restricted to medicine. Cold fusion and so-called free energy ideas and devices like the Energy Catalyzer are presented on his website with the same enthusiasm as the latest alternative medicine fad.[63][64] He collects news about chemtrails.[65] He is a 9/11 truther,[66] Birther,[67] and pretty much everything else-er. And a Sandy Hook denialist.[68] He considers Alex Jones, Jeff Rense, and David Icke to be "REAL heroes"[69] and Icke[70] and whale.to[71] to be reliable sources. Curiously, he supports Ron Paul, who is a real medical doctor and not a practitioner of woo (in the field of medicine). This could be because Paul supports "health freedom,"[72] despite Adams simultaneously supporting health care reform and Cuba's health care system. [73]
    He thinks Scientology (of which he is an ex-member)[74] is treated unfairly.[75][76] According to Adams, this is due to attempts by anti-religious bigots and (you guessed it) Big Pharma to oppress their belief system in order to protect their profits.
    Adams has also issued his informed opinion of the 2012 Aurora, Colorado shootings, declaring that they were "obviously" staged, or perhaps that the killer, James Holmes, was involved in "experimental" neuroscience that got out of hand.[77] Furthermore, he says the 2013 attacks on the Boston Marathon were a false flag operation by "private military contractors."[78]
    In 2014 Adams wrote several articles where he tried to prove that the Malaysian airplane disaster in March 2014 was a government cover-up, and that the plane was secretly made into a "stealth weapon", possibly carrying nuclear weapons. He also stated that he believed that the people behind the cover-up could go as far as "secretly sink some aircraft debris in the Indian Ocean so they can "find it"." Even though he believes the passengers might have survived he states that "world governments are rolling out their "official" stories, there is no question in my mind that they will do anything to support those official stories, even if it means discarding the lives of all the passengers." [79]
    Apparently he's also a big fan of suing people who criticize him--the last resort of the charlatan.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Everything DonnaY posts is a lie. It's beyond pathetic.
    Know what is beyond pathetic? It was you whining a long time ago when I posted one of your threads. You complained how I am picking on you just because you're female. Alluded that I'm some kind of tough guy. Funny thing is--I never even engaged you and just made a comment.

Ever since then I've stayed out of your threads and probably never engaged you again, but you give me neg reps because you can't debate me in any thread. You attach your comments in the neg rep, but why not put them out in the open, Mrs. Big Mouth? I don't even care about "neg reps," but you just make things up and then run away. Sort of like a weasel.

Everybody here knows that my husband is in this business.
    No, sorry, I did not know that, Mrs. Narcissism.

So all you liberal WalMart haters are once again proving that you're dumber than rocks.
    Oh, and by the way, here's your comment to me that you did not make public:
    "Every retailer in the nation buys shrimp in Thailand. This is liberal WalMart hating bull$#@!."

There is practically no way you could possibly know that EVERY retailer in the nation buys shrimp in Thailand. I could find that one retailer, but you would, again, just run away from a debate.

And regarding your obsession with Walmart and the people who don't like them. Some of us simply don't like junk. I don't shop at that store, but nor do I shop at Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Big Lots, Odd Lots, and every other little brother clone of the store you're in love with.

And yeah, I could show evidence of how people in communities react the same way to a Dollar General as they do a Walmart, but you would just continue with your obsessive strawman.

By the way, this argument about Walmart and all these crap stores selling what everybody else sells is a big load of garbage for the--uh--yeah, the "box of rocks" crowd. I don't know about shrimp, but the fish like tilapia sold in the Asian markets is not the same garbage sold in the grocery store. I would imagine it goes for shrimp too. Hell, there's shrimp right in US waters.

The same goes for all the other crap industries too. People go to Sagebrush, TGIF, Applebees, and all these other crap hole "restaurants", and actually think the fish, meat, and other $#@! is the same as a local fine dining restaurant. Of course, dip$#@! Americans shopping at the world's largest retailer just devour it all in. Kind of like that footage you see of the blue whale sucking in all the plankton.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    By the way, this argument about Walmart and all these crap stores selling what everybody else sells is a big load of garbage for the--uh--yeah, the "box of rocks" crowd. I don't know about shrimp, but the fish like tilapia sold in the Asian markets is not the same garbage sold in the grocery store. I would imagine it goes for shrimp too. Hell, there's shrimp right in US waters.

The same goes for all the other crap industries too. People go to Sagebrush, TGIF, Applebees, and all these other crap hole "restaurants", and actually think the fish, meat, and other $#@! is the same as a local fine dining restaurant. Of course, dip$#@! Americans shopping at the world's largest retailer just devour it all in. Kind of like that footage you see of the blue whale sucking in all the plankton.
    Uh , yeah , I do not go to an Applebees , but if I did , I would not expect the same from a local place that buys most things within 60 miles . Nor , do I eat out often , if it was up to me , I never would .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Saw a yootoob video claiming that some stores are selling cheaper imported bleached garlic grown in sewer water loaded with heavy metals, not sure if these stores are are mong those. Vid also shows how to tell one from the other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCz1WgYRTZA

OTOH had also seen claims that some Rice grown in Cali can be high in arsenic due to heavy chemicals/pesticides used in the past, may need further reasearch.
    +rep for informative and concise video info.

Always have been in favor of locally grown and raised foodstuffs.

This is yet another reason why.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. The funny thing is I really got along with Angela after those few scuffles we had. Too bad she never posted again after being banned and being reinstated. But I don't blame her. Anyone who bans me or doesn't want my business can kiss my royal azz.

Oh yeah, did Natural Citizen ever come back? He was a good poster and a real baseball fan.

Ah, I miss dem good ole days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members