Thread: McCarthy wins Majority Leader - CSPAN now

McCarthy wins Majority Leader - CSPAN now

On C-SPAN now.
    eta - Steve Scalise elected Whip
    http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/06...jority-leader/
    Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Thursday was elected the new House majority leader, and will fill the role Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) decided to leave after losing his primary earlier this month.

McCarthy was widely expected to win his leadership race against Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho), even though many more conservative or “Tea Party” Republicans were known to favor Labrador.

House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was elected the new House majority leader, and will take over for Eric Cantor (R-Va.) in August.
    McCarthy now serves as the GOP Whip, a job that requires a member to keep members of the party in line for key votes. That leadership spot made him the likely member to succeed Cantor, and he will do just that starting in August.

But many conservative Republicans balked at McCarthy’s candidacy, and had the same questions about his support for amnesty for illegal immigrants that they had for Cantor. Several GOP members warned that replacing Cantor with McCarthy would send the signal that the GOP did not hear the message sent by Republicans when Cantor lost to an unknown professor in the 7th District of Virginia.

Just last week, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) warned that Republicans need to be careful that the leadership election is not “business as usual.”

In a quote given to TheBlaze, Gohmert said McCarthy has told him he will make an effort to work with all GOP members. “Kevin has said it will not be business as usual, so now we will see if the coming evidence supports such a verdict,” Gohmert said.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 06-19-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's a link:

The Blaze - McCarthy Wins

we're so $#@!ed

Vote for Whip should be announced shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    we're so $#@!ed
    If you thought it was going to turn out any other way, you were dreaming. The important thing will be the level of the vote... How many defectors this time around?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

No vote totals released to the public

But they're coming around!

FASCISM BABY... plain and simply... these whores will sellout America to the highest bidder and slave labor. McCarthy's district is the agricultural Californian big valley 250+ miles away, but he sure seems to spend a lot of time with corporations and lobbyists from Silicon Valley. This vote was all too rigged from campaign donations to Amnesty/H1-B/guest whatever workers to the MIC/SIC of California.

WELCOME ERIC CANTOR II

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...ey-107997.html

McCarthy has the only House leadership office with a staffer dedicated to coalitions. The Information Technology Industry Council named him Legislator of the Year in 2012, and this April he played host to 23 CEOs for TechNet’s annual Washington fly-in.
    Never mind that the dusty agricultural town of Bakersfield sits 250 miles southeast from the manicured office parks of Northern California.
    “Rep. McCarthy has his finger on the pulse of Silicon Valley,” said Joel Kaplan, Facebook’s vice president of U.S. public policy, in an email. “He intuitively understands the industry’s culture of innovation, and knows what’s needed to protect it. He is also an early adopter of technology in both his professional and personal life, and there’s no better way to understand the Valley’s unique contributions to the economy.”
    Tech companies increasingly have shown their support.
    Oracle donated $31,500 to McCarthy’s campaign and leadership PAC during the 2012 campaign cycle, according to OpenSecrets.org, making the database company his fourth-highest donor in the last election. Microsoft gave $17,500 to McCarthy in 2012, and Google provided $20,000, up from $8,000 two years prior.
    “He gets the fundamentals and the basics that makes explaining our priorities a lot easier,” said Andy Halataei, the industry council’s director of government relations.
    “The go-to people for our state are in the top of their parties in the House,” said Jude Barry, a Silicon Valley-based political strategist who works with tech companies. “So I think you’ll see a greater degree of understanding of California issues on Capitol Hill. And it’s likely you’ll see greater activity from Silicon Valley now that we have friends in really good places.”
    Majority Leader Eric Cantor also courted the tech set, but McCarthy’s California background may give him an extra boost.
    “He’s from California and has spent a lot of time in Silicon Valley,” said Linda Moore, the CEO of TechNet, which counts Apple, Google and Yahoo among its members. “So his desire to really know the issues and the effort he put into it is different.”
    Immigration, tech’s policy baby, still remains a tough sell. McCarthy’s district is more than 30 percent Latino, compared with Cantor’s at less than 5 percent. The Californian has backed a bill that would provide legal status to young undocumented immigrants who serve in the military. He’s spoken up in favor of high-skilled immigration but not endorsed a comprehensive overhaul –- what advocates consider the best chance of reform.

"Cantor’s failure to take a definitive stance on the issue may have played a part in his downfall." POLITICO propaganda... everyone knew exactly where Eric Cantor stood...
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://roarmag.org/2014/04/gilens-pa...igarchy-elite/

Political scientists show that average American has “near-zero” influence on policy outcomes, but their groundbreaking study is not without problems.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Steve Scalise elected Whip.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    No vote totals released to the public
    This tells you everything. I think that the vote was actually quite split and if they go public it could be seen as the party falling apart, or being weakened. they have to show the illusion of being one big happy party.

Scalise is my congressman. Typical Republican IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Steve Scalise elected Whip.
    GESUS, Scalise is 48 and he looks 65. Both Scalise and McCarthy voting records are $#@!. Big Government Fascist partnerships, both rubber-stamps for; NDAA, Patriot Act, NSA spying, weapons procurement, lobbyists, U.S. Chamber of Fascism, GITMO, AUMF, ...

No Change... then again, do we even have a choice anymore?

McCarthy is spewing his false "Grassroots" this is my poor life for the empathetic. No mention meeting with Facebook and silicon lobbyists and payolla executives. Such the oversight
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-19-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

They both gave little speeches & answered a couple of questions. Pure fluff, gonna get jobs and the economy going, hooray, and we are United!

McCarthy's eyes are scary, dead eyes, like a dolls' eyes.

callers on CSPAN are upset. "We didn't kick out Cantor to have another Chamber of Commerce leader elected."

One caller trying to find out how his rep voted, the rep's office gave him the runaround. Loving this guy.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 06-19-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Let's play True or False, everybody! I'll begin:

"The best way to restore liberty to America is to work within the Republican party; moreover, working to change the GOP from the inside is the best strategy."

T or F, then explain your answer.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

FALSE. Both parties are two sides of the same coin; we need a third party.
    “The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt that they'll be able to keep the vote total secret. They just didn't want it to get into the first wave of articles that people will read while it's actually still news.

I love these comments from this article at The Blaze. I almost want to reg an account just to say, "You silly dingbats, you could have had Ron Paul, but instead, you demanded Barrabas!"

I doubt they'd get the reference.

• Advection

-Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:54pm

Republicans begged the leadership not to rush this process thru so quickly. This guy was hand picked by the leadership as payback for voters rejecting Cantor. The Republican Party doesn’t deserve to win elections anymore. I’m voting Tea Party or Libertarian.
        What’s the use of electing Republicans? Pelosi just said that she believes IRS officials only just discovered that they had lost their computers and the use of work email service several years ago. And Boehner’s response was that they need someone who tells the truth?!
        Maybe I should join the Democrats! They’re corrupt as hell and dumb as a box of rocks, but at least they stand up and fight.

• Cavallo

-Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:26pm

I’m done voting GOP. They have to make a better case than.. The Dems are worse. I’ll vote Libertarian until they can give me an excuse to vote GOP other than the other guy is marginally worse.

“The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

As this country gets worse these fools will begin to look worse and worse until most Americans see how terrible they are and what they are doing to use. The just need to realize that when fighting for liberty we have to fight a game of inches. Every battle is important, every victory is important no matter how small. No amount of money, lies, and power can make a truth a lie. Eventually, when all the other evil lies fail, the truth will prevail.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkPCSolutions View Post
    I love these comments from this article at The Blaze. I almost want to reg an account just to say, "You silly dingbats, you could have had Ron Paul, but instead, you demanded Barrabas!"

I doubt they'd get the reference.

• Advection

-Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:54pm

Republicans begged the leadership not to rush this process thru so quickly. This guy was hand picked by the leadership as payback for voters rejecting Cantor. The Republican Party doesn’t deserve to win elections anymore. I’m voting Tea Party or Libertarian.
        What’s the use of electing Republicans? Pelosi just said that she believes IRS officials only just discovered that they had lost their computers and the use of work email service several years ago. And Boehner’s response was that they need someone who tells the truth?!
        Maybe I should join the Democrats! They’re corrupt as hell and dumb as a box of rocks, but at least they stand up and fight.

• Cavallo

-Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:26pm

I’m done voting GOP. They have to make a better case than.. The Dems are worse. I’ll vote Libertarian until they can give me an excuse to vote GOP other than the other guy is marginally worse.

kind of off topic, but I noticed that as Rand becomes more popular now the establishment voters want some kind of fascist, extreme anti immigrant, pro flat tax a third party candidate now. Also I noticed no matter what stance Rand takes on immigration he is suddenly "for amnesty" or a "sell out".

And absolutely no one was surprised.

Standard succession of the ruling class, suffice to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I hope he loses the general election. Get him out of there before he entrenches himself in the position.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.