View Poll Results: Would you be interested...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

25 69.44%
  • Hell no!

0 0%
  • Depends (leave comment if you want to.)

6 16.67%
  • Kludge is a douchebag.

15 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who's interested in a basic chemistry course right here on the forum?

The single most practical thing I learned in chemistry is an understanding that the world is divided into two camps - polar and non-polar - and they don't like to associate with each other.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think this is a great idea.

I don't know if it is of interest to you, but we HS and I've found ISpring Quizmaker to be a useful tool. The demo version is de-featured but still functional.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I voted yes but I still think Kludge is a douche I was really torn on how to vote.
    You could have selected both.

I voted yes but I still think Kludge is a douche I was really torn on how to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    You could have selected both.
    Yes. For future reference:
    - when the options have squares next to them, you can vote for more than one.
    - when the options have circles next to them, you can only vote for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yes. For future reference:
    - when the options have squares next to them, you can vote for more than one.
    - when the options have circles next to them, you can only vote for one.
    lol I had no idea. Lernin good!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

I just voted that option, just for you.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds interesting...
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-20-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I love this idea!

how about using this for a text and adding the theory/lecture:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596514921.do

chemistry sets for the book ARE available and we have homeschoolers here, so if done seriously some of them could count it toward academic credit.

If you YouTubed lectures and came up with a parents/teachers guide it would become timeless. I bet Ron Paul would be willing to add it to his homeschool curriculum too.

umm, one of my blog posts lists sources for hobbyist and homeschool chems and glassware.

You DO NOT get extra credit for blowing up the lab - Chem resources for Homeschoolers
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.p...-Homeschoolers

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 06-21-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    I love this idea!

how about using this for a text and adding the theorylecture:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596514921.do

chemistry sets for the book ARE available and we have homeschoolers here, so if done seriously some of them could count it toward academic credit.

If you YouTubed lectures and came up with a parents/teachers guide it would become timeless. I bet Ron Paul would be willing to add it to his homeschool curriculum too.

umm, one of my blog posts lists sources for hobbyist and homeschool chems and glassware.

-t
    Anybody can use the info for anything they want. I can do video at this point, but I'd be incredibly happy if this interaction made it into a home school curriculum somewhere...and that'd be due to the feedback I got here on what works and what doesn't.

My daughter's sick right now (for the first time in her life), so it'll be at least a few more days until I can put something together--she can't stay with her grt grandparents if there's the slightest possibility that she's got any sort of illness. But given the response, I hope to start soon.

Well, you can't do interactive video - but pre-record and upload would work. Maybe even go into town and use Starbucks or FedEx's free WiFi to upload...

Survey monkey might be good for test taking.

Hope the knee biter is feeling better.

-t

On the kits that go with the book, note that elemental is slow.

They are available and in stock for quick shipping from the authors store:

http://www.homechemlab.com/sources.html

a bit expensive at $174, but you get a lot of stuff for that.

you are exempt from H-MAT fees if you order 30ml/1ounce of something listed. otherwise shipping gets insane and it's best to order a lot and split it with other HS's. Note the "1" footnote about buying from places that normally won't sell to you...

Is $174 too expensive for the lab part for people here...

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 06-21-2014 at 12:33 AM.

On the chem sets, the one from the author only has 1 beaker and a few test tubes that are glass. Everything else is plastic. It also contains just enough chemicals to do the exercises. You won't be left with much of a lab after you go through the exercises but it's cheaper:

http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits...ck01-main.html

If you go the Elemental route, you will end up with a lab with quality equipment and have leftover chemicals. This route is more expensive:

http://www.elementalscientific.net/s...p?idproduct=38

Home Chemistry Glassware Set - $125.40

http://www.elementalscientific.net/s...p?idproduct=35

Home Chemistry Hardware Set - $174.99

http://www.elementalscientific.net/s...p?idproduct=37

Home Chemistry Basic Chemical Set - $52.80 (16 chems)

http://www.elementalscientific.net/s...p?idproduct=34

Home Chemistry Standard Chemical Set - $92.60 (29 chemicals)

Home Chemistry Advanced Chemical Set - $138.60 (36 chemicals)

Elemental's chemical kits are additive. You order the basic then standard then advanced kit. Build as you go. Ending up with 81 chemicals + all the ones you get locally. Might want to look at small chem containers for the stuff you do get locally.

So for Elemental, that's ~$300 for lab equipment + $250 for chemicals (~$550 total) vs $172 for a basically disposable kit.

Keep in mind, the book will have you running to the supermarket, hardware store, etc. to buy chemicals and other stuff locally. These kits don't have HCL, for example. You could buy as you go, possibly getting chem set containers as you go from home training tools or elsewhere. The kits are a lot of money all at once... but seriously shop around for the best deal. Availability is another issue. Some places won't carry all chems. Others will make you buy a lot more than you need.

Something I would consider mandatory that doesn't appear in any of the kits is a lab apron. If you like your clothes and skin, that is... They are cheap.

umm, I believe it's Hobby Lobby" that still sells some chemicals and glassware from the Perfect Parts company. They used to sell chem sets and parts individually in hobby stores.

You can also get at least the equipment parts on E-Bay for uber cheap, but it's going to take a good amount of effort on your part, or not quite so uber cheap if you want new stuff now - again E-Bay.

If you are considering Elemental, contact them first. Their policy is that if a kit or order has something that is out of stock, they will hold your order till everything is back in stock. The worst delay I've heard of is 8 months... Make sure it's in stock before you order! They have tons of stuff at fantastic prices, but this one little gotcha...

Iodine got scheduled by the DEA right before publication, here is how to get around that. You will need it.

hope that helps anyone wanting to do the lab side,

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 06-21-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Doing it on the cheap n local. Won't give you all the chems you need....

-t

I haven't RTFT, but if someone can tell me how to make this, I would be grateful. It's made by SC Johnson but it's not sold here, and I only found one site selling it online. We have no Japanese stores nearby.

Katameru Tenpuru (Oil Solidifying Agent)
    http://www.chopsticksny.com/contents/j-shop/2008/04/38

. There’s a product from Japan that is incredibly useful, called ‘Katameru Tenpuru’, which solidifies used cooking oil for convenient disposal. Made of seaweed, one 18 gram packet of powder will solidify 2 2/3 cups of oil, making it easy to handle and combine with your other waste.
    Could it be powdered lecithin?

http://www.japangoodsfinder.com/stor...roduct=7806189
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I haven't RTFT, but if someone can tell me how to make this, I would be grateful. It's made by SC Johnson but it's not sold here, and I only found one site selling it online. We have no Japanese stores nearby.

Katameru Tenpuru (Oil Solidifying Agent)
    http://www.chopsticksny.com/contents/j-shop/2008/04/38

Could it be powdered lecithin?

http://www.japangoodsfinder.com/stor...roduct=7806189
    figure out how to grow seaweed. It's a basic saltwater aquarium environment. Ask your local pet shop.
    do some more research and figure out what the best seaweed type is. Find and order/buy some.
    look up how to make dehydration screens. Square or more commonly rectangular screen, cheesecloth to chicken wire tacked on one side like a painting canvas. Add sun and air that's not to energetic.
    get a coffee grinder.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 07-10-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Anybody can use the info for anything they want. I can do video at this point, but I'd be incredibly happy if this interaction made it into a home school curriculum somewhere...and that'd be due to the feedback I got here on what works and what doesn't.

My daughter's sick right now (for the first time in her life), so it'll be at least a few more days until I can put something together--she can't stay with her grt grandparents if there's the slightest possibility that she's got any sort of illness. But given the response, I hope to start soon.
    Didn't mean to derail the project. How's the knee biter.

This is a good book, but lacks theory. I really think teaching along the path the book takes you would be good. Would make this a good HS curriculum test bed.

What do you think. Are you going forward with this.

-t

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234