View Poll Results: Would you be interested...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

25 69.44%
  • Hell no!

0 0%
  • Depends (leave comment if you want to.)

6 16.67%
  • Kludge is a douchebag.

15 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's interested in a basic chemistry course right here on the forum?

Who's interested in a basic chemistry course right here on the forum?

Just a basic chemistry 101/chemistry of life type of course? I've taught these courses and am interested in honing my teaching skills for my daughter. I'd be interested in learning more about teaching strategies from other people who've taught as well. I'm thinking that I'd review one chapter (using my old gen chem text/online resources) approximately 1x/every two weeks.

There's a lot of misinformation about science on the forums, and this seems like it'd be more productive than just getting annoyed/frustrated. Personally, I'd be interested in someone else offering some sort of course on their own expertise--especially economics, odds and ends like the French Revolution, various parts of the American Revolution, the Civil War, etc.

Poll will be up in a few...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Me. Science communication is one of my favorite things.

We're overrun by corporate "scientism" and so would certainly enjoy a lesson.

Chemestry isn't my strong point but I'm certainly no beginner either so will try to ask good questions.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.

I'm in I sucked chem up bad in college.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Me. Science communication is one of my favorite things.

We're overrun by corporate "scientism".

Chemestry isn't my strong point but I'm certainly no beginner either so will try to ask good questions.
    Well I haven't been "corporate" in a while, and even when I was being paid by them, I wasn't "with" them.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    You had crap teachers, I'd bet. It was absolutely amazing how everything just clicked when I had a professor/mentor who gave a $#@! and was actually enthusiastic about his job.

If math is an issue for anyone, don't worry about it--nothing more than basic stuff. I've forgotten most of the calc stuff I learned anyways. I'll try to make things practical and useful--whether that's for actual use in life or just so we know more and can make better decisions.

How would it be done?

I've had chemistry in high school and a couple of classes in college, but I've never used it and have forgotten most of it. One thing I never felt like I learned from those classes was any sort of practical application; how to look at household chemicals and decide if mixing them in certain ways was going to do anything or not. (for example, my chemistry classes never alerted me to the dangers of mixing bleach and ammonia, and I don't even know what those molecules are anyway)

2*H2 + 1*O2 = 2*H2O < very cute, but do you just mix them and they automatically re-arrange, or what?

I always felt the same about my electrical classes.....all theory but no practical application knowledge.
    Last edited by Tod; 06-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    How would it be done?
    I'm thinking that I would announce the specific subject, scan in pages from the texts that I have, provide some links and images to illustrate various concepts. I think I'd start with the scientific method, just for a solid base, let the questions come in and answer the best I can, even if that's "I don't know." There's a couple other chemists who are on the forum, I think they'd probably chime in.

I certainly don't have expertise in everything science-related, so I do know my limitations. I spent most of the day teaching my daughter various things with language, math and some really basic science (she's 3, and she was asking me about oxygen today), so while this is inspired by a few things that keep cropping up on the forum, I'm motivated by wanting to be the best possible teacher for my daughter.

Plus, this forum can be a major downer--I'd like to see more positive things.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    This is how college sucks. Since I $#@!ed off bigtime in high school, I really struggled in first semester chem. But I got my $#@! together and aced the second semester. Since you have to know everything from the first semester to get through the second semester, shouldn't my $#@! grade from the first semester have been erased? The same thing happened in calculus. Such bull$#@!. /rant

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh...and I'd also do some basic experimentation and post the results--just basic stuff like what cleans what, how to do basic fermentation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Oh...and I'd also do some basic experimentation and post the results--just basic stuff like what cleans what, how to do basic fermentation, etc.
    Can you whip up a concoction for Matt?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Amy graciously gave my a rep for what could have been a neg, pointing out that college is bull$#@! in a hell of a lot more ways than what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Amy graciously gave my a rep for what could have been a neg, pointing out that college is bull$#@! in a hell of a lot more ways than what I wrote.
    Amy is easy.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Can you whip up a concoction for Matt?
    What's the desired end result?

What's the desired end result?
    You have to ask? How about a poll?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

You sold me with fermentation Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I also had the same experience in calculus, until I learned how to teach myself and figured out who the good teachers were. One of my greatest professors in the liberal arts portion of my degree was a fat, alcoholic Hungarian who lisped and stuttered. He hated almost all of his "students." My science professor/mentor was a rockabilly musician who also taught us how to memorize phone numbers easily so your future wife wouldn't catch you cheating on her. His classes were either ridiculously easy or they were virtually impossible. I took chem engineering from him--it still hurts my brain, but I don't regret it.

Amy is easy.
    Naw. Just dumb sometimes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You have to ask? How about a poll?
    I know of no substance that will make him more like a decent human being....

My science professor/mentor was a rockabilly musician who also taught us how to memorize phone numbers easily so your future wife wouldn't catch you cheating on her.

How much does he charge for his classes?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I know of no substance that will make him more like a decent human being....
    Formaldehyde?

How much does he charge for his classes?
    He's retired now, just looked him up and he's still $#@!ing with "the man."

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2...ss-height-law/

Ankay eway earnlay otay ookay ethmay?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Ankay eway earnlay otay ookay ethmay?
    I think that's already out there if you wanna do it. I can give you all the info on each step of the reaction and various safety precautions though, Heisenberg.

I think that's already out there if you wanna do it. I can give you all the info on each step of the reaction and various safety precautions though, Heisenberg.
    I wonder how many nanoseconds it took for the NSA to bust my ingenious spy talk.

I'm interested in your chemistry class. (don't be insulted if I don't raise my hand much and/or drop out)
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I wonder how many nanoseconds it took for the NSA to bust my ingenious spy talk.
    I suspect Amy is a contractor for the NSA.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suspect Amy is a contractor for the NSA.
    Is that how she cracked that so quickly?

Is that how she cracked that so quickly?
    **whistles nonchalantly**

if you do this, you might see about having it contained to one of the sites private subforums, that way you limit access and can kick out retards.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    and can kick out retards.
    No special needs students allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    No special needs students allowed?
    The operative word being "can" (1.be able to: to have the ability, knowledge, or opportunity to do something) Not that she would be required to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    if you do this, you might see about having it contained to one of the sites private subforums, that way you limit access and can kick out retards.
    I'll see how it goes, then see if it's too aggravating to keep it public, which I can definitely see happening.

It'd be nice to have it visible to non-members as a civil counter to a lot of the anti-science sentiment on the forum--that's another reason I wanted to do this. It's my way of broadening our image and a good foil to the Wonkettes who like to think we're all luddites and people into that Icke (sp?) character, among other nutballs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast