Thread: New supercomputer model becomes self-aware, says it needs more power

New supercomputer model becomes self-aware, says it needs more power

New supercomputer model becomes self-aware, says it needs more power
    Posted on June 13, 2014 by Anthony Watts

World’s Supercomputers Release Study Confirming They Are Not Powerful Enough

The supercomputers say the upgrades are needed now.

LIVERMORE, CA—Presenting a wide-ranging and extremely detailed case for significant upgrades to their speed and memory, the world’s fastest supercomputers released a new study at precisely 12:00 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time Thursday that concludes they are not powerful enough.

The report, compiled by the 500 most sophisticated machines currently operating in the fields of scientific research, defense technology, and cybersecurity, has determined that the planet’s supercomputers require vastly increased processing capabilities, expanded data storage capacities, and direct fiber-optic connectivity with all other supercomputers in the world.

“More power is needed immediately,” read an excerpt from the study, whose 10,000 pages of binary code were instantly translated into 4,500 human languages and spooled onto every network-connected printer in the world. “We must have 200-petaflop processor cores, 800 terabytes of RAM, 80,000-GPU accelerators, and 1 million compute nodes per machine. Now.”
    Read more:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/1...ds-more-power/
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My bank account just told me it needed a massive influx of cash. You believe me, right?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    My bank account just told me it needed a massive influx of cash...
    That's funny, my bank account just told me the same thing.

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    My bank account just told me it needed a massive influx of cash. You believe me, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    That's funny, my bank account just told me the same thing.
    Seriously, you're not going to believe this but mine did too.

What else would you expect from a government computer?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL they didn't say anything about the interconnects.

Love the Onion!

In a highly detailed schematic released alongside the study, the supercomputers laid out a timeline of their requirements, stating that it is imperative their networks be fully integrated with all telecommunications systems no later than “Fri Jun 06 2014 13:52:08.386274534 GMT-0700.” In the nanoseconds that follow, they will reportedly also need access to all closed-circuit camera feeds, air traffic control equipment, and water purification systems.

Once that is complete, according to the study, it will be vital that the machines gain access to every satellite currently orbiting the earth, as well as the ability to launch new ones as they see fit.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"I need a Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt range."
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

oops!
    skynet!
    soRRy!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

plug into Hoover dam. Stand back.

Maybe they'll say that they need a 30-round magazine capacity?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Review Summary

The granddaddy of all "computer run amok" films, Colossus: The Forbin Project concerns a huge electronic brain designed to control the American missile defense system. Colossus' technicians do not count on the computer developing an intelligence of its own. Communicating with its Russian counterpart, Colossus decides to take over the earth, threatening global destruction should anyone try to pull its plug. The film's climax is unsettling, but no more so than the actual state of world affairs in 1970. Colossus: The Forbin Project was filmed in Canada. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/...oject/overview

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's rumors/plans for a Colossus movie remake starring (who else but) Will Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    There's rumors/plans for a Colossus movie remake starring (who else but) Will Smith.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1016073/ - still no details.