Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student suspended for paper clip

Exclamation Student suspended for paper clip

I have nothing on this, other than the picture.

No names, places, nothing.

Maybe somebody had read it or can post some details.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A picture of the weapon in question:

This originated on Reddit from a poster called FatmanManfat and it was about his friend's kid brother being suspended. Here's an article:

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/1472...-staples-jail/

Quote Originally Posted by IJReview
    America has suspended kids for allegedly biting Pop-Tarts in the shape of firearms, shooting Hello Kitty bubble guns at the bus stop, and now, we’ve come to the point of no return: A young boy has been punished for bending paperclips.

Obviously, those disciplining the child did not consider the possibility of a kid just being a kid and simply bending the alleged “assault paper clip” – because he was bored. Maybe the class was working on a confusing Common Core math lesson and he simply wanted to amuse himself. Who knows?

We all might understand disciplinary action if the circumstances of the incident reported he had been acting aggressively towards other kids, but the thing is – they don’t.

On Thursday, Reddit member FatManManFat shared this image of a reason for suspension taken against his friend’s son by school officials (click picture to see larger image):

If you can’t read what’s in the image, here is what it says:

Sean was brought to the office by a staff member who reported that Sean had a sharp object on him in his right pocket. When asked what he had in his pocket he reported he did not have anything. When asked to empty his pockets he refused. After several minutes Sean emptied his pockets. The contents of his pockets included a cell phone, pen cap, and paper clip. The paperclip was bent in a manner that could allow for use as a weapon.

Just for the record, a bent paperclip looks like this:

Observe that such a thing can be done just by a kid who is, I don’t know, just playing with a paperclip, or it can be used to reset electronics.

Note at this point that every single student in the entire school has an object that could “allow for use as a weapon” – a sharpened pencil.

Assuming this kid is the second coming of Hannibal Lector like this school official obviously does, then his bent paper clip is no more dangerous than the pen cap that could be chewed into a nasty rubber band projectile!

Then there’s the potential of kids using straws duing lunchtime as deadly blowdart guns!

Let’s not forget about these bad boys, which can put an eye out…
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I once knew a woman who was secretary in a public school. We got on the subject and she said students were not allowed to open up paper clips for that very weapon reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I once knew a woman who was secretary in a public school. We got on the subject and she said students were not allowed to open up paper clips for that very weapon reason.
    So no open carry of paper clips?

Start them young.
    We Must Dissent.

Bent paperclips are what you use to eject a floppy disk when it's stuck. The world is apparently on crazy pills. Weapon? Event the TSA wouldn't call that a weapon -- and they're afraid of bottled water!
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Bent paperclips are what you use to eject a floppy disk when it's stuck. The world is apparently on crazy pills. Weapon? Event the TSA wouldn't call that a weapon -- and they're afraid of bottled water!
    Hell, there are people here who are afraid of rain.

if a bent paperclip is considered a weapon, so should a mouth full of teeth. Suspend everyone!
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Back when I was a kid, we had these cheap mechanical pencils.

We used it as a toy and shoot each other with staples. We bend the staple straight on one end and leave the other end bent for safety (lol) and insert it into the tip of the mechanical pencil and you can fire it. It'd go pretty far actually.. surprisingly. I forgot what you had to do, but it works like a spring loaded bb gun I suppose.

It does sting and I was surprised no one's eyes were poked out.
    Last edited by alucard13mm; 06-14-2014 at 02:45 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    School is teaching all these students and would-be criminals exactly what it is supposed to teach: Fear of Reprisal from Authority.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    School is teaching all these students and would-be criminals exactly what it is supposed to teach: Fear of Reprisal from Authority.
    You reminded me of an interesting thing that some friends and I observed at the middle school we attended...

All the fences around the school had barbed wire on them. And the barbed wire was pointed inwards.

I'm just going to leave it at that.
    We Must Dissent.

I used to bend paper clips into darts I could shoot into a bulletin board with a rubberband. Generally fold it in half so you have a loop and bend out one of the ends so it points away from the loop.

I once defused a bomb with a just a paper clip.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Sean was brought to the office by a staff member who reported that Sean had a sharp object on him in his right pocket. When asked what he had in his pocket he reported he did not have anything. When asked to empty his pockets he refused.
    I like that kid.

After several minutes Sean emptied his pockets. The contents of his pockets included a cell phone, pen cap, and paper clip. The paperclip was bent in a manner that could allow for use as a weapon.
    Poor Sean, I wonder how they got him to empty his pockets. Probably some bull$#@! line about how they would go easier on him.

BAN PAPERCLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how do kids in art class cut paper now? with their teeth? surely not scissors, those are deadly weapons
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    how do kids in art class cut paper now? with their teeth? surely not scissors, those are deadly weapons

I wonder if these are banned:

We had them in every classroom back in my day.
    Last edited by Mani; 06-16-2014 at 12:40 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    You reminded me of an interesting thing that some friends and I observed at the middle school we attended...

All the fences around the school had barbed wire on them. And the barbed wire was pointed inwards.

I'm just going to leave it at that.
    Interesting. Perhaps the paper clip is banned to keep you in. You can't macguyver your way out of prison without a paperclip. For good measure, they should expel students named Mac or Guy should they ever join forces and become a megazordmacguyver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    BAN PAPERCLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ooooh oooh! I think I can top that: Ban Students!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Bent paperclips are what you use to eject a floppy disk when it's stuck.
    wtf is a floppy disk?

if a bent paperclip is considered a weapon, so should a mouth full of teeth. Suspend everyone!
    America's average IQ would double in a matter of minutes.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

A bent paperclip? What about all those paper cuts?

I bet they banded paperclips because it has the word "clip" in it.

by the way, the news had a piece on 20 ducks that died. Why aren't they covering their incompetent school administrators.

You don't need a 32-round mouth.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

I used to bend paper clips into darts I could shoot into a bulletin board with a rubberband. Generally fold it in half so you have a loop and bend out one of the ends so it points away from the loop.
    Also we used to bend them into a little triangle and make them jump!
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/chil...mble-a-weapon/

Remember, in the right hands, anything can be a weapon. Just ask most pinhead school officials.
    In the past, we’ve reported about all sorts of things that school officials have considered dangerous weapons, including squirt guns, a hand, Legos, a pencil and a shirt. Here’s a new one.
    For bending a paperclip, a boy was suspended from school because officials said it could be used as a “weapon.”
    A reddit user posted an image of a disciplinary form sent home that tells parents the child committed the heinous act of bending a paperclip.
    Presumably, the child bent the paperclip to look like this:

If you can’t read it, the “circumstances of the incident” reads:
    Sean was brought to the office by a staff member who reported that Sean had a sharp object on him in his right pocket. When asked what he had in his pocket he reported he did not have anything. When asked to empty his pockets he refused. After several minutes Sean emptied his pockets. The contents of his pockets included a cell phone, pen cap, and paper clip. The paperclip was bent in a manner that could allow for use as a weapon.
    Have you ever bent a paperclip? We all have. Clearly these administrators didn’t consider that the kid was merely bending the paperclip. But then again, our schools today are worried about Common Core, not common sense.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    A bent paperclip? What about all those paper cuts?

I bet they banded paperclips because it has the word "clip" in it.
    Magazines are no longer allowed in school!
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Also we used to bend them into a little triangle and make them jump!
    Terrorist!!!

I wonder if he was cleaning his "dug-out" with it... Maybe they should test it. Could be quite the haul, deadly weapon and drug charges.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

There is no background information on this. Why do I have the feeling that when more information comes out it will make the people on the "right" look ridiculous.

If it is a normal kid with a bent paperclip then of course it is ridiculous but we have not heard the other side. We do not know if this was a problem kid that as described "was walking around with a sharp object in his pocket" acting weird. Maybe there was history with this kid and therefore some concerns he would use it as a weapon.

I remember when I was in school many years ago there were always a couple of kids in the big public school with a screw lose that the teachers and students had to look out for. Any normal kid walking around with a bent paper clip or pencils no big deal. But the wacky kid walking around with crazy eyes looking like he is going to stab someone is of course a different story.

Had a minor stab wound in the hand from one of these lunatics in the public school system. Worst case was one kid was thwarted in an attempt to find me alone and stab me in the back without me knowing using multiple knife like sharpened pencils in his fist. That would have been a serious stab wound and he was suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Back when I was a kid, we had these cheap mechanical pencils.

We used it as a toy and shoot each other with staples. We bend the staple straight on one end and leave the other end bent for safety (lol) and insert it into the tip of the mechanical pencil and you can fire it. It'd go pretty far actually.. surprisingly. I forgot what you had to do, but it works like a spring loaded bb gun I suppose.

It does sting and I was surprised no one's eyes were poked out.
    I see some kids actually made use out of their time in state schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast