Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was Mises a racist?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    It's ridiculously racist to suggest that IQ is something inherent within your skin color. And Rothbard didn't even believe in what he said. He merely used it as a political tactic to gain paleocon support
    It probably has something more to do with geographic isolation and not skin color. Secondly, this nonsense that people with so-called lower IQs add little value to society is total bunk in my eyes.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-11-2015 at 10:46 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I'm not a Rothbardian either, but the IQ differences between races in the Western world does have a genetic basis.
    All the biology and sociology I've studied suggests otherwise. What is the evidence for your claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    It probably has something to do with geographic isolation and not skin color. Secondly, this nonsense that people with so-called lower IQs add little value to society is total bunk in my eyes.
    This may be true. Just like babies born in a more developed country, will be healthier and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    All the biology and sociology I've studied suggests otherwise. What is the evidence for your claim?
    Really? That's interesting, because the estimates of IQ heritability range from a low of .5 to a high of .9. The heritability of IQ isn't really disputed by biologists these days, so I find it odd that all of your biology study pointed in the opposite direction. Keep in mind that IQ tests are G loaded. Sociology as it exists in the modern university is almost entirely worthless, so I don't really care what 99% of sociologists have to say.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    It's ridiculously racist to suggest that IQ is something inherent within your skin color. And Rothbard didn't even believe in what he said. He merely used it as a political tactic to gain paleocon support
    That is not what's being said, no hereditarian model claims this. I hear this inanity all the time, and all it proves is that the person making the claim hasn't read a single book on the topic, and probably not even an article.

What reason is there to claim Rothbard didn't actually believe what he said? Rothbard allied himself with a lot of different groups over the years, seeking to build a libertarian alliance, but I never knew him to lie to get support. Rothbard was nothing if not principled; just because he wanted to use that fact to gain paleocon support doesn't mean he didn't believe it was true.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

That there are IQ differences between the races is an extremely well documented fact. It is not disputed by anyone in the field. The only debate is over what causes these differences: genetics, environment, or some kind of error in the data collection. Unless you've personally studied the huge amount of research on this topic, you should not be dismissing the genetic explanation out of hand. On its face, it's entirely plausible. I myself don't know enough about this topic to have an intelligent opinion (though my suspicion is that genetics do play an important role). And, if genetics are responsible (partially or entirely), that has no necessary political implications. "Therefore, we should [insert racist law]" does not follow, so don't worry about that. The realization that there are genetically-based differences in intelligence between the races, if that's what we find in the end, should not trouble anyone other than deranged tabula rasa egalitarians who want to build a utopian society where everyone is perfectly identical - of which I assume there are none posting here at RPF.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    That there are IQ differences between the races is an extremely well documented fact. It is not disputed by anyone in the field. The only debate is over what causes these differences: genetics, environment, or some kind of error in the data collection. Unless you've personally studied the huge amount of research on this topic, you should not be dismissing the genetic explanation out of hand. On its face, it's entirely plausible. I myself don't know enough about this topic to have an intelligent opinion (though my suspicion is that genetics do play an important role). And, if genetics are responsible (partially or entirely), that has no necessary political implications. "Therefore, we should [insert racist law]" does not follow, so don't worry about that. The realization that there are genetically-based differences in intelligence between the races, if that's what we find in the end, should not trouble anyone other than deranged tabula rasa egalitarians who want to build a utopian society where everyone is perfectly identical - of which I assume there are none posting here at RPF.
    +1
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123