Thread: Brat Foments Controversy with Statement

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Brat Foments Controversy with Statement

The Establishment Left isn't very happy with this.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...rles-c-w-cooke

With just seven little words, the freakout began: “The government holds a monopoly on violence.”

These were written by David Brat, a professor of economics at Virginia’s Randolph-Macon College and, now, the Republican party’s nominee for the state’s seventh congressional district. “Unusual” and “eye-opening” was the New York Daily News’s petty verdict. In the Wall Street Journal, Reid Epstein insinuated darkly that the claim cast Brat as a modern-day fascist. And, for his part, Politico’s Ben White suggested that the candidate’s remarks “on Neitzsche and the government monopoly on violence don’t make a whole lot of sense.” As is its wont, the progressive blogosphere lost its collective marbles too: One contributor sardonically described Brat’s claim as a “doozy,” while another contended that such opinions were sufficient for “one to question his, shall we say, cognitive coherence.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm liking Brat more everyday. He's not perfect, but he's generating good discussion.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

there is not a single intelligent individual who disagrees with brat here.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    there is not a single intelligent individual who disagrees with brat here.
    I might disagree with the verb "holds" and go with "claims."
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Since they also claim a monopoly on which "claims" are true (via the Supreme Court), whatever it claims to have, it has.

At least as far as it's enforcers are concerned.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Fair enough. I wasn't considering this small of a disagreement when I made my comment. I had in mind the mindless lefties and Republicans (or do I repeat myself?) who would protest "no, most of what government does isn't violence, its just stuff we decide to do together" or the like. I agree with you. But so would Brat, or anyone else who makes the statement. The bottom line is that in any violent confrontation between the State and someone else, the State essentially always wins, even though the State is nearly always at fault. That's the problem.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    now that's what i like to hear
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

a legitimate or illegitimate monopoly? there has to be a pertinent
    john locke or john rawls quote on this... even though we've got
    a mix of the two, now... and blurred lines under potus stewardship

like this guy
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I'll say this: Rand and really any of our people in congress have really never mentioned this..

the fact that this guy comes out swinging with this first.. pretty cool in my book.. this is an issue that if even remotely questioned, makes authoritarians froth at the mouth all across the political spectrum.. its a huge issue.. and most in politics would rather it never even be brought up at all. Many in congress would not even know what to say about this except that its good..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

At the UN Gun Debate at King's College in July of 2001, a UN spokesperson made this statement:

"Civilian ownership of firearms in the US threatens the legitimate powers monopoly of the state"

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I'll say this: Rand and really any of our people in congress have really never mentioned this..

the fact that this guy comes out swinging with this first.. pretty cool in my book.. this is an issue that if even remotely questioned, makes authoritarians froth at the mouth all across the political spectrum.. its a huge issue.. and most in politics would rather it never even be brought up at all. Many in congress would not even know what to say about this except that its good..
    Yeah, why wait to start kicking ass?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Brat Foments Controversy with Statement

MSM predictably Foments Controversy with Brat's Statement
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    At the UN Gun Debate at King's College in July of 2001, a UN spokesperson made this statement:

"Civilian ownership of firearms in the US threatens the legitimate powers monopoly of the state"
    The UN should be kicked out of New York.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post

Ron did, but you're right, nobody else associated with the liberty movement has done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Ron did, but you're right, nobody else associated with the liberty movement has done so.
    I doubt Rand has enough guts to deal with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I doubt Rand has enough guts to deal with it at all.
    i think its immature and close minded to just claim its a matter of guts here. Rand is aiming to win the votes of the idiot majority so he can take a higher office hopefully. He is likely trying to avoid a "fringe" or "radical" label, and yet would want to be seen as a reasonable balance between the current hawks and the "far right extremists."

Guts has nothing to do with it, like his strategy or not.
    No - No - No - No

Dr. Rand is trying not to roil the more conservative Mittsters.
    Dave Brat is opining from a sweetly reet conservative district
    that might do a 50/50 split towards the Democrat come fall.
    He has all summer to strut his stuff an' so far he's doing great.