Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "A Good Guy With A Gun Has Never Stopped A Bad Guy With A Gun"

80-year-old man says he shot, killed pregnant woman trying to rob him

An 80-year-old man told NBC Channel 4 Wednesday that he shot and killed a pregnant woman who tried to rob him at his Long Beach home.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant -- I'm going to have a baby,'" the man, who was identified as Tom Greer, told the TV station.

He said he fired two rounds and that a man who was with her fled the scene. "I shot her twice. She best be dead," Greer said.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1 Dead, 2 hurt in Pennsylvania hospital shooting
    http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/2...ital/20936554/

DARBY, Pa. (AP) - A doctor grazed by gunfire from a patient who had entered his office in a suburban hospital's psychiatric unit stopped him by returning fire with his own gun and injuring him, authorities said.

Investigators believe the doctor had his own gun and acted in self-defense, District Attorney Jack Whelan said.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2 killed in Fresno County home invasion, shootout, kidnapping and chase

A girl is safe and so is her family after the sheriff says several suspects kicked in their front door and started shooting. Two suspects were killed when the victims fired back. . . .

Shaken up but safe -- that's how three home invasion victims say they felt as they walked away from the Fresno County home where a deadly gun battle began before dawn. . . .

"Two are dead, two are in custody and three are outstanding. All were armed," said Mims.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

Shrug. Cops are trained professionals who shoot regularly. Most people with guns shoot once, maybe twice a year, if that.

Having a gun is great and all, but ultimately the cops are usually the guys who save the day. Most people just aren't willing to risk their lives in the dangerous situations that cops often put themselves in.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Shrug. Cops are trained professionals who shoot regularly. Most people with guns shoot once, maybe twice a year, if that.

Having a gun is great and all, but ultimately the cops are usually the guys who save the day. Most people just aren't willing to risk their lives in the dangerous situations that cops often put themselves in.

There is in-fact so much wrong within this statement that I can't even begin to formulate an appropriate response. ...That is a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I think you're all missing the point. Those people owned guns, therefore they are not "good guys."

Duh.
    LOL, it's sad, but you are right... that's how some people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Liberal logic sometimes escapes me.
    Unfortunately, it's not just liberal logic. Many members of this forum use that exact same "logic" when they say "all cops are bad" or "there is no such thing as a good cop". Here is just one example:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You don't get it. Every cop is bad by definition. There can be no good cops because they are bad by virtue of being cops. It doesn't matter how good your intentions are. If you want to be a good cop, don't be a cop. Just like if you want to be a good murderer, don't murder. Good cop is an oxymoron...

The reality is, the masses have been conditioned (via media) to believe the above; that cops are here to protect them. And so most of them don't take measures to protect themselves. After the 2005 Supreme Court Ruling that declared that the police are not constitutionally bound to protect citizens, it's apparent to me that all they're here for is to enforce laws. And you won't hear that truth from the media.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Is there an example in school shootings or a mall shooting or these public facilities, where that has been wrong?
    Which states don't have schools as gun free zones?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Armed Robber Shot and Killed at Hookah Shop Where Owners Encouraged Employees to Carry Guns

A hookah/smoke shop in Albuquerque , New Mexico had been robbed several times in the past.
    The robberies got so bad that the owners of the shop encouraged their employees to carry firearms while working.
    That policy proved to be the correct one on Sunday afternoon.
    According to KOB4, a suspected armed robber was shot dead by a person working at the shop during a robbery attempt.

The suspect was found already deceased inside of the business by responding officers.
    According to KRQE, the owner of the establishment is convinced his employees saved lives,

“His intentions were not just to take the money. I am not sure why he came back, we are not sure why he came back, he came back, from the looks of it, extremely, extremely angry just looking to hurt people. He came in to hurt whoever was in that store at that moment,” said [Kane Oueis, the owner of the shop.]
    “We did not have a gun in there, one of our employees did and it wasn’t on him at the moment. It was actually hidden in his backpack. He actually had to reach out for that to protect himself,” explained Oueis.
    “I’m really proud of my team, I’m proud of my guys, I’m proud of how they handled the situation. They listened to this individual, they did everything he wanted them to do and even then, it wasn’t enough,” Oueis says.

According to the Albuquerque Journal, police questioned two people who were present at the business, but no charges have been filed.
    This is the 11th defensive gun we’ve documented in the state of New Mexico and the 1,259th defensive gun use we’ve documented overall.

links to sources etc. at...http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...to-carry-guns/
    "The Patriarch"

Suspected robber killed by homeowner
    JSO: Homeowner, wife taken to hospital; child unharmed

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
    Police said a homeowner shot and killed a man Wednesday morning who tried to break into his Arlington home about dawn on Friday.

According to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, the man, 21-year-old Marquise Trevel Yates, broke into a home on Seabrook Cove Road, off Arlington Expressway, about 6:30 a.m. and threatened the homeowner, 50-year-old Foster Coker, at gunpoint.

Police said there was a struggle between Yates (pictured below) and Coker, but Coker was able to get away.

"The homeowner was able to retrieve a firearm and the suspect of the robbery was deceased at the scene," said Sgt. Michael Paul.

According to the police report, Coker retrieved his personal firearm and exchanged gunfire with Yates. Coker's wife, Pam, also fired her personal handgun at Yates, who died at the scene.

The Cokers were taken to UF Health with non-life-threatening injuries consistent with blunt force trauma, according to JSO.

“If we had not had a gun in our home, we would be dead,” Pam Coker said from the hospital Friday. “I'm convinced of that. That guy was strong and he was not going to stop. Nothing was going to stop him.”

Pam Coker said she was getting ready for work when Yates kicked in the deadbolted wooden back door and burst into the home.

“He came at me, was chasing me,” Pam Coker said. “Had a gun in his hand.”

She said Yates pushed her down. She screamed for her husband, who jumped out of bed and over Pam, struggling for the gun as Yates bit his finger and beat him.

“He just wouldn't stop,” Pam Coker said. “The guy wouldn't stop. He just kept fighting. He hit my husband in the head really bad several times (with the gun) and busted his head. So I got our gun and we had to shoot him.”

The Cokers' 7-year-old grandson was in the home at the time. He was not hurt.

more...http://www.news4jax.com/news/jso-inv...ngton/27504490
    "The Patriarch"

CANTON
    Two of the three suspects in an attempted robbery were shot and killed by the clerk at the Marathon gas station on Ninth Street SW late Monday.

The clerk also was wounded in the altercation, police say.

Officers were still working late Monday to identify the two males who were killed, said Sgt. Steve Swank.

One male was found at Ninth and Dryden Avenue SW and the other was found in a parking lot near the Marathon station at 2201 Ninth Street SW. They were taken to an area hospital.

The clerk, who was shot in the legs, was found at the store and was also taken to the hospital. His condition was unknown Monday night.

Swank said a “scuffle” occurred almost immediately after the people attempted to rob the store about 9:23 p.m., and police were searching for a third suspect.

Multiple friends of the clerk arrived at the store Monday to check on the man’s condition.

Bill Conrad, who lives on Ninth Street SW, said he heard about nine shots as he exited his house to take out the trash.

Another nearby resident, Ray Crisp, said he is a neighbor of the clerk and came after hearing the news.

“He’s been carrying his gun because they almost got robbed before,” Crisp said.

Police were still investigating.

hxxp://www.cantonrep.com/article/20140922/NEWS/140929809/10973/NEWS
    The gas station clerk who exchanged gunfire with armed robbers — killing two of them — is recovering from his wounds as police continue to look for the third man.

Police on Tuesday released the names of two of the suspected robbers.

Antonio S. Gracia, 23, of 405 12th St. NE, and Ronnie L. Lawson, 21, who was homeless, were killed in the shootout, which happened shortly after 9 p.m. Monday, officials said.

Gracia was pronounced dead at 9:46 p.m. Monday in Aultman Hospital’s emergency room and Lawson was pronounced dead at 10:17 p.m. in Mercy Medical Center’s emergency room, said Harry Campbell, chief investigator for the Stark County Coroner’s Office.

The search for the masked, armed man who was with them continued Tuesday as detectives reviewed the store video that recorded the fatal robbery, said Capt. Dave Davis, who heads the police department’s detective bureau.

HOW IT HAPPENED

Police were called at 9:23 p.m. Monday to the Marathon gas station at 2201 Ninth St. SW.

The three suspected robbers carried guns, he said. Each wore masks and dark clothing with dark jackets, hoods pulled tightly over their heads and tied at the neck. One man’s jacket was red on the front and red and black on the back.

A description of the robbers’ masks was not released, but Davis said the man detectives are now looking for wore a light-colored, full-facial mask.

Exterior store video shows the men just prior to the robbery and then just afterward. One of them can be seen with a gun, although detectives believe each of them were armed.

The clerk was legally carrying the gun with the visible case on his side, known as open carry, Davis said. He exchanged gunfire with the robbers, Davis said.
    “This transpired very quickly once they went into the store,” Davis said.

The clerk — whose name was not released — was shot once in the hip and once in the leg. Davis described the wounds as “not life-threatening.” Another clerk was also in the store and was unharmed, Davis said.

Davis confirmed that nothing was taken in the robbery.

Detectives aren’t releasing the interior store video. Davis explained it’s being held as evidence as the investigation continues. He said that the video of what happened in the store was consistent with the events that the clerk described.

One of the robbers who later died can be seen in the video pulling out a gun in the store parking lot before the robbery and shooting as he struggles to leave the parking lot afterward. The man, wearing the red and black hooded jacket, shoots, returns fire and when struck, falls to the ground and struggles to crawl away as he continues to shoot.

More at link.
    hxxp://www.cantonrep.com/article/20140923/News/140929779#ixzz3EH6LuKGm
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Anyone with twitter feel like messaging what's her name?

22 rounds, probably.

"High capacity"!?

Word was that the news was running reports of how hard it is to get a job in the area.

While the state and the mob (but I repeat myself) has strangled employment opportunities in that area, if this happened more often maybe random pedestrians wouldn't be smacked in the face with a brick every 1st and 3rd.

The clerk who was shot in Canton, to help pay with medical bills. I know this man personally and he is a good person worthy of contribution.

http://www.gofundme.com/ewxt60

ETA: Please donate what you can (I know times are rough). He's around my age, 23-24, with a child working for a living in a city infested with crack fiends and crime.

At the least, please pray for a speedy recover.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 09-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    The clerk who was shot in Canton, to help pay with medical bills. I know this man personally and he is a good person worthy of contribution.

http://www.gofundme.com/ewxt60

ETA: Please donate what you can (I know times are rough). He's around my age, 23-24, with a child working for a living in a city infested with crack fiends and crime.

At the least, please pray for a speedy recover.
    I threw in what I could afford.
    "The Patriarch"

Follow Up: Woman Who Shot Stalker in the Chest Posts Chilling Account Online – “I Shot My Stalker

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...ccount-online/
    "The Patriarch"

A sharp-shooting Oklahoma food company executive who enjoys quail hunting and leading Boy Scouts is being hailed a hero.

Mark Vaughan — who also happens to be a reserve officer with the sheriff’s office — leapt to action when his business was under siege by an apparent ISIS copycat.

The chief operating officer of Vaughan Foods Inc. opened fire on Alton Nolen at the food distribution plant in Moore after the lunatic attacked two employees, beheading one and leaving the other in critical condition.

Vaughan is being heralded as a hero by authorities. . . . “This was not going to stop if he didn’t stop it,” Sgt. Jeremy Lewis told the Associated Press.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1954039

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPatriot View Post
    LOL, it's sad, but you are right... that's how some people think.

Unfortunately, it's not just liberal logic. Many members of this forum use that exact same "logic" when they say "all cops are bad" or "there is no such thing as a good cop". Here is just one example:
    There is no such thing as a good cop just like there is no such thing as a good murderer. That paradigm doesn't apply to gun owners because gun ownership isn't an inherently aggressive act.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2014/10/a...good-guys.html

One of the big advantages of concealed carry is that the bad guys have absolutely no reason who is ready and able to gun them down from behind:

Two men were fatally shot by a customer after they attempted to rob a north Harris County bar early Saturday — the latest in a fury of shootings in Houston this week. Jenny O'Donnell, owner of EJ's Place, said four armed men came to her bar in the 16400 block of Kuykendall at Colwell, around 2:30 a.m.

O'Donnell, who was not there at the time of the incident, said a head bartender and waitress were closing up for the night when two men walked into the bar and demanded everyone get down on the floor. Two other men "lingered at the bar door," she said.

That's when a customer at the bar pulled his own gun and started shooting at the men, she said. The attempted robbers fired at least three rounds inside the bar, said O'Donnell.

"That man was a hero," said O'Donnell. "We could have had some bodies."

The men then turned around and ran out the door, O'Donnell said. One of the men died right outside the front door, while the other man died at the end of the bar's parking lot, she said.
    It's interesting to observe that four robbers were involved and that still wasn't enough to guarantee a safe and successful robbery. The more that people are armed, the more dangerous and difficult it becomes for criminals to accomplish anything from basic street muggings to full-fledged home invasions.

Of course, it will also tend to highlight the relative inability of the police to do the same. Which isn't actually a criticism of the police, it's merely reflective of the obvious fact that the police simply cannot be everywhere at once, whereas privately armed individuals can be.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

O'Donnell, who was not there at the time of the incident, said a head bartender and waitress were closing up for the night when two men walked into the bar and demanded everyone get down on the floor. Two other men "lingered at the bar door," she said.
    HOUSTON (AP) - Harris County sheriff's deputies say a customer at a bar has fatally shot two of four armed men who came into the place and announced a holdup.

Homicide Sgt. Robert Spurgeon says patrons were ordered to get to the floor early Saturday but one of them pulled out of gun of his own and started shooting.

Two of the would-be robbers were found dead in the parking lot. Two others fled.

Spurgeon says the gun-toting customer also left the scene and authorities are trying to find out who he is and why he left.

Deputies believe the robbers may be responsible for a number of other recent holdups in the area.
    http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/B...278121761.html

Why he left is obvious.Unfortunately,he committed a felony even having a gun in a bar in Texas.
    He was there while the employees were closing up so chances are he's a close friend.
    I hope his identity is never discovered but that might be a long shot.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/B...278121761.html

Why he left is obvious.Unfortunately,he committed a felony even having a gun in a bar in Texas.
    He was there while the employees were closing up so chances are he's a close friend.
    I hope his identity is never discovered but that might be a long shot.
    Yeah.

Who could ever imagine why someone would leave the scene. They have to be bonafide retards to even ponder the question.

They routinely beat people, murder people, and arrest them on bull$#@! charges and these half-wits have the audacity to ask often, "Well, why'd you run if you didn't do anything wrong?"

If he was drinking, he should have left, if guns are illegal in bars in Texas, he should have left, if he had anything in his system he "shouldn't have had," he was right to leave. Lord knows they'd love to give him a couple murder charges as someone died in what would appear "the commission of a felony." They'll even admit that he defended the place and still take it to trial.

Then they have the gall to wonder why sometimes it's better not to stick around to talk to their asses even if you did nothing wrong.

This guy's lucky it was a guardsman. You know the cops would have shot him.

Walmart Shopper Saves Life Of Another Customer — Because He Is Carrying A Gun
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1562350/wal...2XW9wv2LJ41.99

According to The Blaze, 2nd Lt. Joshua Nelson, a West Virginia Air National Guardsman, popped in to the local Walmart in Del Rio, Texas, to pick up some supplies for a trip to the lake. While he and his wife and children were putting things in the cart, they heard a woman scream, “Stop! Put that down!”

The fear in her voice led Nelson to search for the source of the commotion. USAF News reports that he “looked into the aisle, and this young man had a knife to a woman’s stomach.”

He quickly directed his wife to take the kids to the front of the store and call the police. He told The Blaze that the safety of his family was his top priority. Both Nelson and his wife hold concealed carry permits, and both had their guns with them on this day. Like many armed citizens, they hoped to never need to use their weapons, but on this day, they were thankful that they had them, even in Walmart.
    [...]
    As Joshua approached the woman and her filet-knife-wielding attacker, he says he “thought real hard about drawing my gun,” deciding instead to put his hand on his gun, letting the perpetrator know that he was armed. He didn’t want to spook him by drawing his weapon and have him cut his victim in a panic. Nelson’s military training kicked in as he addressed the situation.

That was when the drama took a different turn. The assailant turned the knife on himself, threatening to kill himself. Nelson was able to talk him down, telling him that they could get help for him. According to USAF, other Walmart employees had gathered by that time, and joined the Guardsman in trying to convince the man to put the knife down.

He finally cooperated, and kicked the knife toward Nelson as he ordered. Then, he turned to run out. That was not an option for him, and Nelson assumed the voice of military command, telling him to “stop” and “sit down” while they waited for the police to arrive. The man complied.
    --Albert J. Nock

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Concealed Carrier Stopped Mass Shooting at Texas Night Club

Five people were injured by a shooter at an El Paso, Texas night club last weekend, and the casualties would have likely been worse if not for the presence of a concealed carrier.

According to the El Paso Times:
    The incident happened at about 1 a.m. at Club Khaos, 115 S. Durango, in the Union Plaza District.
    The man had been escorted out of the club by security for creating a disturbance, but returned a short time later and was seen near the front of the club, Sambrano said.
    The suspect took out a handgun and fired multiple times at the entrance, injuring five people…
    …The suspect was shot in the leg by an unknown individual and investigators believe this person was acting in self-defense, Sambrano said.

The suspect was able to flee the scene and was later arrested at an area hospital. He was later identified as 23-year-old Martin D. Guerrero, an Army Specialist out of Fort Bliss according to KVIA

The shooter who fired in self defense left the scene and has not been identified. It could be that he did not possess a valid carry permit or he was concerned that he was in violation of Texas carry laws if he did.
    In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry at an establishment that gets 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol. However, a person charged with that crime has a valid defense if the establishment did not have a valid sign posted within the regulations set forth in Texas law.
    This is actually the second time an armed patron has stopped a violent crime in a bar in Texas and refused to come forward due to the state’s carry laws.
    This incident is the one of the most common types of defensive gun uses. That is, one in which no one was killed. Despite this being one of the most common types of defensive gun uses, these incidents are often not included in statistics about defensive gun uses. Many of these statistics and studies focus solely on justifiable homicides, which represent only a fraction of total defensive gun uses.

This is the 177th defensive gun use we’ve documented in the state of Texas and the 1,348th defensive gun use we’ve documented overall.
    http://gunssavelives.net/self-defens...as-night-club/

Watch What Happened When Two Thugs Started a Gunfight With a 74-Year-Old Woman
    Neighbor blames store owner for defending herself against robbers

A 74-year-old woman came out on top of a gunfight with two criminal thugs after they tried to rob her pawn shop in Springdale, Arkansas this past weekend, but was subsequently blamed by her neighbor for daring to defend herself.
    http://www.infowars.com/74-year-old-...riminal-thugs/

These things have been stopped never a non un-many amount of times, which is doubleplus ungood comrade. Now put your silly dreams away and get ready to hate with me for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    These things have been stopped never a non un-many amount of times, which is doubleplus ungood comrade. Now put your silly dreams away and get ready to hate with me for a spell.
    I need an enigma machine to decipher that sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast