Thread: Occupational licensing must go.

Occupational licensing must go.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/06/0...orse-masseuses

Celeste Kelly, Grace Granatelli, and Stacey Kollman make their living by providing massage services to horses and other animals. For more than a decade, these three women have supported themselves by doing what they love while alleviating the pain of animals and bringing comfort to their owners. But if established veterinarians and bureaucrats in the state of Arizona and Maryland have their way, Kelly, Granatelli, and Kollman will not only be barred from their chosen livelihood, they could face up to $3,500 in fines and six months in jail.

The therapists are in trouble because they lack official licenses from their local State Veterinary Medical Examining Boards. But obtaining a license is absurdly difficult. "To become licensed, applicants must graduate from an accredited veterinary school, pass rigorous national and state licensing examinations and pay a $400 fee," the Institute for Justice (I.J.), a nonprofit public interest law firm representing the women, explains on its website.

None of the 28 fully accredited veterinary schools in the United States are in Arizona, and getting a diploma from any of them requires several years and thousands of dollars. Adding insult to injury, the schools are not required to teach animal massage, "nor is it necessary to demonstrate knowledge of or proficiency in massage to graduate or become licensed."

Unfortunately, this abusive treatment of American entrepreneurs isn't confined to horse masseuses. Unlicensed hairdressers, barbers, and hair braiders, too, were under attack in Washington, Utah, the District of Columbia, California, Mississippi, Minnesota, and Ohio before I.J. secured justice.
    continued.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Comrade, it is for your own good, that we do this. Now get in the welfare line or off to the gulag with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

I agree it is just another extortion racket.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I agree it is just another extortion racket.
    And worse .I agree .

I agree.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Unlicensed hairdressers, barbers, and hair braiders, too, were under attack in Washington, Utah, the District of Columbia, California, Mississippi, Minnesota, and Ohio before I.J. secured justice.
    All of them are stupid but "hair braiders", really?

Double Standard?

The irony of the U.S. government's imposition of occupational licensing is that none of the elected officials have occupational licenses to create laws in this nation. They are elected (or appointed, in some cases) based on the faith of the voters, not on whether they are licensed to be lawmakers.

More importantly, our government officials have strayed so far away from the enumerated powers of the Constitution, which restrict their jurisdiction over certain affairs in the market, that for them to impose licensing as the standard for who is competent to perform in an occupation is at the height of hypocrisy, on their part.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

I do carpentry, painting, ground maintenance, plumbing and any and most everything else someone is willing to pay cash for. Ta hell with the state and their licensing scam.
    It's their way of extorting taxes from you. That is all. Theye do not care about public safety or anything else they claim licensing is for. Theye just want you in the system so Theye can have a piece of your pie.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    The irony of the U.S. government's imposition of occupational licensing is that none of the elected officials have occupational licenses to create laws in this nation. They are elected (or appointed, in some cases) based on the faith of the voters, not on whether they are licensed to be lawmakers.
    On that note, last I checked, the majority of senators and plurality (near majority) of representatives in D.C. have law degrees. Be careful you don't give em any ideas or they'll pass a law you need a law degree to get to d.c.

How come there's a national movement to get a "Living Wage Now!" but not "End Occupational Licensing Now!"?
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

The Institute for Justice does a lot of work against this sort of nonsense; great organization.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    How come there's a national movement to get a "Living Wage Now!" but not "End Occupational Licensing Now!"?
    Because people think government is keeping them safe from unscrupulous business people and established businesses don't like the competition, so only a small minority see it as the problem that it is. I guess it is just one more thing that democrats and republicans are in agreement on.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    The Institute for Justice does a lot of work against this sort of nonsense; great organization.
    Finally...I can agree with you.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Because people think government is keeping them safe from unscrupulous business people and established businesses don't like the competition, so only a small minority see it as the problem that it is. I guess it is just one more thing that democrats and republicans are in agreement on.
    That pretty much nails it. That, and the governments unholy obsession with controlling and taxing every activity known to mankind.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That pretty much nails it. That, and the governments unholy obsession with controlling and taxing every activity known to mankind.
    Law making is an addiction.

Peace.

A Degree is Not a Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    On that note, last I checked, the majority of senators and plurality (near majority) of representatives in D.C. have law degrees. Be careful you don't give em any ideas or they'll pass a law you need a law degree to get to d.c.
    Having a law degree doesn't make one qualified to make laws. In fact, the majority of our members in Congress violate the one law that rules what laws they can make while in office, everyday--the Constitution. If they can't obey that law (upholding their oath of office), then they are not qualified to make any law, whether they have a law degree or not.

On a general note, I've become more and more convinced over the years that having a degree, at any level, does not make a person more apt, intelligent, nor competent than anyone else (with the exception of a few fields, such as engineering or medicine). I've known so many people who have degrees that cannot argue logically, understand simple principles, nor explain their position on any given issue. Society puts this overbearing emphasis on having a degree as if that makes one automatically qualified or proficient in something. I think that's where faith in "occupational licensing" stems from.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But than anyone on the street could perform surgery!!!!

/sarc
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

True story.

A sort of friend of mine, who is a jewish physician AND lawyer, was outraged that the 911 hijackers were not properly licensed to operate the Boeings.

There was too much there for me to work with, so I just let it go.

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Reminds me of the internet tax...So many clamoring for it. Exploiting peoples base instincts are good for business.

This issue doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Half of the problem of price inflation in medicine can be attributed to licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    True story.

A sort of friend of mine, who is a jewish physician AND lawyer, was outraged that the 911 hijackers were not properly licensed to operate the Boeings.

There was too much there for me to work with, so I just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Half of the problem of price inflation in medicine can be attributed to licensing.
    I don't know if that is actually true, but I do like the sound of it.

Unexpected +rep for you.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Milton Friedman first raised the issue in 1962. Certification also is time consuming and is meant primarily to collect fees.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-p...ication-racket
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...DE3CC6&gwt=pay

A little story about licensing in my state.

Plumbing licenses in the state of Michigan are a joke. My father's a licensed master plumber and a licensed plumbing contractor. The contractor part is required to advertise in the state that he's a plumber. I read the fine print on the renewal form this year, it's a set fee for a master plumber, it's a set fee for the contractor. However if you renew the contractor it automatically renews the master plumber so don't need to pay that. I pointed that out, he said he's been paying both fees for as long as he recalls. No refund checks... hrmm, go figure.

Random people are advertising on local facebook groups that they're plumbers, they're not licensed. Some bad advice given even. Gave a call to one to let them know, was told I was a prick. Nice guy. So I contacted the state licensing board to lodge a complaint. Their response? They can't do a thing since he's non licensed so he doesn't fall under their rules. Talk to the prosecutor as that's a law being broken.

Prosecutor said advertising plumbing services on facebook group with 3000 members doesn't actually count as advertising so no laws were broken. Interesting. Somehow I bet if I said I was a lawyer on facebook they'd reconsider that.

If someone hired a non licensed person for work that requires a license they could press charges after the fact personally.

The homeowner could also not pay the unlicensed plumber for work done.

Oh well, nothing to be done to actually be worthy of being called a prick.

However as the system stands in Michigan the state gets fees, non licensed people must not be so bad since the state doesn't care, so it just makes the legal guys have to pay more.

The thing I see with licensing has to do with insurance. If you hire someone that the state says requires a license to do a job, and something happens, their insurance may not cover it - if they even have insurance. This means the homeowner is on the hook for another's mistake.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Licensing is only a way to prohibit competition. Basically, let the govt do your dirty work for you. Like driving a taxi in New York...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Thaddeus Russell had a recent podcast on the role of the government in college accreditation.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬