Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: The day I left my son in the car

Article: The day I left my son in the car

I made a split-second decision to run into the store. I had no idea it would consume the next years of my life
    Kim Brooks

The day it happened was no different from most; I was worried, and I was running late. I was worried because in a few hours’ time I was going to be enduring a two-and-a-half hour flight with my kids, ages 1 and 4. I was running late because, like many parents of small children, I often find there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

We were visiting my family and I was eager to get home to my husband. My 1-year-old daughter had just gone down for a nap when, in the process of packing, I realized that my son’s headphones, the ones he used to watch a movie on the plane, had broken. I called across the house to my mother that I was going to run to the store to replace them.

“Me too,” my son said.

I asked him if he was sure he didn’t want to stay home with Grandma. “You hate going to the store,” I reminded him.

“No I don’t!” he said. I should have seen what was going on — my parents had been letting him play with the iPad in the car and he was trying to score the extra screen time. We got in my mother’s minivan and drove a mile up the road, through the sleepy subdivision where I’d grown up, the sort of subdivision where kids ride bikes in cul-de-sacs and plenty of people don’t bother to lock their doors, then we parked in the recently erected, nearly empty strip mall. I had two hours to get the headphones, get home, get my 1-year-old daughter up from her nap and fed and changed, get everyone to the airport, through security, and onto a plane.

“I don’t want to go in,” my son said as I opened the door.

“What do you mean you don’t want to go in? You wanted to come.”

He was tapping animated animals on a screen, dragging them from one side to the other. “I don’t want to go in. I changed my mind.”

I tried to make my voice both calm and firm. “Simon,” I said (not his real name but the name I’ll use here). “If we don’t get your headphones, you won’t be able to watch a movie on the flight. It’s a long flight. If you can’t watch a movie on the flight you’re going to be a very, very, very unhappy boy. It will just take a minute. Now come on. We’re running late.”

He glanced up at me, his eyes alight with what I’d come to recognize as a sort of pre-tantrum agitation. “No, no, no, no, no! I don’t want to go in,” he repeated, and turned back to his game.

I took a deep breath. I looked at the clock. For the next four or five seconds, I did what it sometimes seems I’ve been doing every minute of every day since having children, a constant, never-ending risk-benefit analysis. I noted that it was a mild, overcast, 50-degree day. I noted how close the parking spot was to the front door, and that there were a few other cars nearby. I visualized how quickly, unencumbered by a tantrumming 4-year-old, I would be, running into the store, grabbing a pair of child headphones. And then I did something I’d never done before. I left him. I told him I’d be right back. I cracked the windows and child-locked the doors and double-clicked my keys so that the car alarm was set. And then I left him in the car for about five minutes.

He didn’t die. He wasn’t kidnapped or assaulted or forgotten or dragged across state lines by a carjacker. When I returned to the car, he was still playing his game, smiling, or more likely smirking at having gotten what he wanted from his spineless mama. I tossed the headphones onto the passenger seat and put the keys in the ignition.

Over the past two years, I’ve replayed this moment in my mind again and again, approaching the car, getting in, looking in the rearview mirror, pulling away. I replay it, trying to uncover something in the recollection I hadn’t noticed at the time. A voice. A face. Sometimes I feel like I can hear something. A woman? A man? “Bye now.” Something. But I can’t be sure.

We flew home. My husband was waiting for us beside the baggage claim with this terrible look on his face. “Call your mom,” he said.

I called her, and she was crying. When she’d arrived home from driving us to the airport, there was a police car in her driveway.

Every year, 30 to 40 children, usually under the age of 6, die after being left alone in cars. Their deaths (usually by suffocation), are slow, torturous, unspeakably tragic. In some instances, they are the result of clear-cut neglect, but more often, they occur because of a change in routine — usually the father drops off at daycare but today it’s the mom and she is tired or harried and forgets the kid is with her and leaves him there for hours. I was aware of these tragedies long before the day I left my son, because, like most anxious, at times over-protective mothers, I spend a not insignificant portion of my time reading about and thinking about and worrying about all the terrible things that can happen to the two little people I’ve devoted my life to protecting.

I know that on a 75-degree day, a closed car can become an oven. I know that a home with an unfenced swimming pool is as dangerous as one with a loaded gun. I know how important it is to install car seats correctly, to adjust and fasten the straps regularly. When my kids were babies I always put them to sleep on their backs, though they hated it. I treated small, chokeable objects like arsenic, put up gates on all our stairways (not the tension-rod kind that can be pushed over, but the kind you bolt into the wall). I immunized them against everything immunizable, sliced their hotdogs lengthwise and removed the casing, made sure their plates and cups were BPA free, limited their screen time, slathered them in sunscreen on sunny days. When my more carefree friends say things like, “What’s the worst that could happen?” I usually have an answer. Sometimes I fantasized about moving with my family to a sun-drenched island in the Mediterranean where my children could spend their days frolicking freely on the beach without worry of speeding cars or communicable diseases, but I never confuse this fantasy with the reality we live in, the reality of risk and danger, the reality that terrible things happen to good, well-meaning people every second of every day.

And so, it came as more than a shock to me when, on the way home from the airport, I listened to a voice mail from an officer at my family’s local police department explaining that a bystander had noticed me leaving my son in the car, had recorded the incident using a phone’s camera, and had then contacted the police. By the time the police arrived, I had already left the scene, and by the time they looked up the license plate number of the minivan and traced it to my parents, I was flying home.

I’d never been charged with a crime before, so the weeks that followed were pure improvisation. I hired a lawyer to talk to the police on my behalf. I sought advice and support from those I loved and trusted. I tried to stay calm. My lawyer told me he’d had a productive conversation with the officer involved, that he’d explained I was a loving and responsible mother who’d had a “lapse in judgment,” and that it seemed quite possible charges would not be pressed. For a while, it looked like he was right. But nine months later, a few minutes after dropping my kids off at school, I was walking to a coffee shop when my cellphone rang. Another officer asked if I was Kim Brooks and if I was aware there was a warrant out for my arrest.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_...on_in_the_car/
    I ran into this article yesterday and am disgusted by the people, the society, that create this atmosphere and want nothing to do with living in this way. How is a liberty-loving person supposed to have and raise kids in a climate like this?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, the first mistake was in asking the child what he wanted to do. When he didn't want to go into the store, "All right. Then we go home." Then turn the car around and go home. It's that simple. A child who will not cooperate does not get the privilege that cooperation brings.

I have left stores a few times. Dd learned that her behavior was her responsibility. I refused to live as an angry, frustrated, ineffective mother, and I was determined to have a child who assumed responsibility for her own behavior. Four years old is old enough to behave for 2.5 hours.

I now have four grandchildren, and even the 2.5 year old knows how to follow directions and behave in public. She needs a little encouragment, but she's very good company on errands.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-06-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Well, the first mistake was in asking the child what he wanted to do. When he didn't want to go into the store, "All right. Then we go home." Then turn the car around and go home. It's that simple. A child who will not cooperate does not get the privilege that cooperation brings.

I have left stores a few times. Dd learned that her behavior was her responsibility. I refused to live as an angry, frustrated, ineffective mother, and I was determined to have a child who assumed responsibility for her own behavior. Four years old is old enough to behave for 2.5 hours.
    Yeah, your technique there is far better than hers. If you read through the whole the article there is a pretty good chance that like me, you don't agree with the writer's way of thinking on a lot of things.

I recall when as a kid my mom left my brother and me in the car when she went into MacDonald's (one of the rare ones that didn't have a drive through) and when she came out she was greeted by the splintered, broken windshield my brother kicked with his feet in anger at me harassing him. I'm guessing since we clearly weren't getting along well (and usually didn't) she was avoiding having to wait in line and order with us causing trouble. The idea that anyone's kids should be taken away from them for that or that they should be put in jail for such is appalling to me.

Saying to my mother I wasn't going to do something because I did not want to .Or being worried that I was going to cause a scene because it was a long ride,one look is all it took.

I know that a home with an unfenced swimming pool is as dangerous as one with a loaded gun.
    I've never seen a gun shoot a child on its own because the child was unsupervised.

Oh. Hell. No.
    1. My kids don't tell ME what THEY are going to do...
    2. I wouldn't have left a four year old in the car by himself.
    3. I also wouldn't have called the cops if I saw someone else doing it, if I were really worried about the kid I probably would've waited around and kept an eye on him until Mom came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Oh. Hell. No.
    1. My kids don't tell ME what THEY are going to do...
    2. I wouldn't have left a four year old in the car by himself.
    3. I also wouldn't have called the cops if I saw someone else doing it, if I were really worried about the kid I probably would've waited around and kept an eye on him until Mom came back.
    1 - You clearly have real parenting skills. Kudos.
    2 - I don't have a problem with it if she could see the car and the kid the whole time (like in a radio shack where the store isn't deep and the front is glass and the parking spot can be seen) but even if not, what business is it of anyone else to be policing her parenting and filming it like a creep?
    3 - The person that filmed it and called the cops is the one that really disgusted me. I would love to know where the people like that live, so that I can not live there.

Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    1 - You clearly have real parenting skills. Kudos.
    2 - I don't have a problem with it if she could see the car and the kid the whole time (like in a radio shack where the store isn't deep and the front is glass and the parking spot can be seen) but even if not, what business is it of anyone else to be policing her parenting and filming it like a creep?
    3 - The person that filmed it and called the cops is the one that really disgusted me. I would love to know where the people like that live, so that I can not live there.
    If it had been a small store like a Radio Hack or CVS, I wouldn't have blinked an eye but I would've waited around at a Walmart or Target. I agree, the person that filmed it and called the cops is an $#@!.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember riding in the back seat of a Chevy Nova with my 2 brothers. The three of us on the floor to get under the cloud of cigarette smoke above us trying to get closer to the fresh air coming in through the cracks in the door. If my mother or father needed to do something, it was not unusual for us to hang out in the car until they were done. If it was hot, we'd roll down the windows. If it was cold, the windows would be completely fogged over by the time they returned. We would run all over the neighborhood all summer long until the street lights came on - maybe returning at lunch time if we didn't go to a friend's house instead. We didn't call during the day - our parents had no idea what we were doing - we were just being kids.

We survived. My parents were never arrested for neglect.

The level of paranoia in this society has gotten way out of control.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I remember riding in the back seat of a Chevy Nova with my 2 brothers. The three of us on the floor to get under the cloud of cigarette smoke above us trying to get closer to the fresh air coming in through the cracks in the door. If my mother or father needed to do something, it was not unusual for us to hang out in the car until they were done. If it was hot, we'd roll down the windows. If it was cold, the windows would be completely fogged over by the time they returned. We would run all over the neighborhood all summer long until the street lights came on - maybe returning at lunch time if we didn't go to a friend's house instead. We didn't call during the day - our parents had no idea what we were doing - we were just being kids.

We survived. My parents were never arrested for neglect.

The level of paranoia in this society has gotten way out of control.
    Amen. My distaste for society grows daily.

I've never understood how a parent can forget his/her child. You have ONE JOB as a parent...yes, it keeps you very busy, but still. Too judgmental??

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post

I now have four grandchildren, and even the 2.5 year old knows how to follow directions and behave in public. She needs a little encouragment, but she's very good company on errands.
    He doesn't want to go in the store? Too bad! It's not up to a 4-year old to make that decision (there is NO decision, we're going!)

When I was a kid it was still appropriate for a parent to correct a child right there in front of a God and everybody! Now, they'll call CPS on you if you damage the little tike's self-esteem. When I was 4, I didn't know what "self-esteem" was, much less that I was supposed to have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I've never understood how a parent can forget his/her child. You have ONE JOB as a parent...yes, it keeps you very busy, but still. Too judgmental??
    My mom once forgot to pick me up from school when I was in first grade. I still don't know if was an accident like she claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    My mom once forgot to pick me up from school when I was in first grade. I still don't know if was an accident like she claimed.
    Heck, my Dad forgot who I was once, I called one day and here's the conversation...

Dad: "Hello?"
    Me: "Hey Daddio is Mom there?"
    Dad: "Who is this?!"
    Me: "Suzanna.... your daughter"
    Dad: I just heard some shuffling around (trying to get the phone on the hook) before he hung up on me.

He called back a few minutes later laughing and apologized, he had dozed off in his chair and wasn't "prepared to answer any hard questions".

I wouldn't qualify this as "forgetting". There was no real danger to the child, the mom was acting quickly. Its not like she left him there for hours upon hours. Even still, yes it was a poor parenting decision. The correct decision was to go home and to forbid the child to watch a movie on the plane. But poor parenting decisions are not just cause to call police. If the child winds up getting taken away from her I could easily justify physical retaliation against that neighbor. I wish society would boycott scumbags like that. Unfortunately, most of society probably supports them. How is a liberty lover supposed to raise a child here? I honestly can barely conceive of it after reading things like this. The decision was wrong, but it was wrong because it gave the child what he wanted, not because it was "unsafe." People need to grow up (and no, I'm not talking about you, I know you don't endorse calling the cops in that situation)

He doesn't want to go in the store? Too bad! It's not up to a 4-year old to make that decision (there is NO decision, we're going!)

When I was a kid it was still appropriate for a parent to correct a child right there in front of a God and everybody! Now, they'll call CPS on you if you damage the little tike's self-esteem. When I was 4, I didn't know what "self-esteem" was, much less that I was supposed to have it!!

See? CPS could be called for anything. What are you supposed to do? Its a lose - lose. Mind you, I agree with you. Either don't give the choice, or go home and the kid can't watch a movie. The parent made a foolish decision. It didn't warrant calling the police.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

See? CPS could be called for anything. What are you supposed to do? Its a lose - lose. Mind you, I agree with you. Either don't give the choice, or go home and the kid can't watch a movie. The parent made a foolish decision. It didn't warrant calling the police.
    It also didn't warrant the legal fees, the waste of the parent's time and the waste of the police time and government employees' time and money either. It's just terrible all the way around. The lawyers probably didn't mind at all though.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    It also didn't warrant the legal fees, the waste of the parent's time and the waste of the police time and government employees' time and money either. It's just terrible all the way around. The lawyers probably didn't mind at all though.
    Well yeah, there's that. I'm not sure whether the cops minded either, I'm sure a lot of them like being able to bully the innocent.

I think there is a genuine need for concern, but the Smart Phone neighbor was really stupid and naive about the whole situation. I guess it was beyond their imagination to think the mother would come right back because you never see that $#@! happen on TeeVee.

This is one of many example where people shift liability or want to cover their ass. Especially regarding the police response. We all see the stories in the news about kids left in cars that are harmed or kidnapped. The police figure if they go easy on someone, and they later do this again, they'll have a kidnapping on their hands or a dead child.

They'll face the outrage from Society. So maybe, to many of us are demanding perfect security and demanding the impossible of the police. There is a tendency to think the police and courts are acting like thugs with zero tolerance policies, but maybe the real thug is our Society, and the cops are just a proxy bully.

I have lived on this earth for 40+ years in several different locations. City, Rural, Small town... I have never known anyone who has been kidnapped. Have you? If you are one of the minority that has, do you know more than one?

I know it can happen, but it is perspective that is missing. If you watch TV, you'd think it happens every time a kid was left alone for a minute. This is not reality.

That people are so ready to completely alter their way of life based upon these misperceptions is scary. We place way too much emphasis on things that rarely happen, and not enough on things that happen all the time. Life is meant to be lived - not to be hid.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

I have lived on this earth for 40+ years in several different locations. City, Rural, Small town... I have never known anyone who has been kidnapped. Have you? If you are one of the minority that has, do you know more than one?

I know it can happen, but it is perspective that is missing. If you watch TV, you'd think it happens every time a kid was left alone for a minute. This is not reality.

That people are so ready to completely alter their way of life based upon these misperceptions is scary. We place way too much emphasis on things that rarely happen, and not enough on things that happen all the time. Life is meant to be lived - not to be hid.
    Maybe we need a new kind of Reality TV show. It might be called "Boring But True".

Today a woman left here son in the car for less than a minute. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Maybe we need a new kind of Reality TV show. It might be called "Boring But True".

Today a woman left here son in the car for less than a minute. That's it.
    Good idea.

Guy smokes a joint - no one dies.
    Girl leaves her backpack unattended - she picks it up later.
    Islamic guy takes picture of a landmark - he doesn't blow it up.
    Boy plays a violent video game - then takes a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Heck, my Dad forgot who I was once, I called one day and here's the conversation...

Dad: "Hello?"
    Me: "Hey Daddio is Mom there?"
    Dad: "Who is this?!"
    Me: "Suzanna.... your daughter"
    Dad: I just heard some shuffling around (trying to get the phone on the hook) before he hung up on me.

He called back a few minutes later laughing and apologized, he had dozed off in his chair and wasn't "prepared to answer any hard questions".
    Haha, that sounds like one of my grandma's maids. Whenever my dad calls he asks "Hi, is my mother home?" and the maid always asks "who's calling?"

My dad is an only child...

Good idea.

Guy smokes a joint - no one dies.
    Girl leaves her backpack unattended - she picks it up later.
    Islamic guy takes picture of a landmark - he doesn't blow it up.
    Boy plays a violent video game - then takes a nap.
    LOL! +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I wouldn't qualify this as "forgetting". There was no real danger to the child, the mom was acting quickly. Its not like she left him there for hours upon hours. Even still, yes it was a poor parenting decision. The correct decision was to go home and to forbid the child to watch a movie on the plane. But poor parenting decisions are not just cause to call police. If the child winds up getting taken away from her I could easily justify physical retaliation against that neighbor. I wish society would boycott scumbags like that. Unfortunately, most of society probably supports them. How is a liberty lover supposed to raise a child here? I honestly can barely conceive of it after reading things like this. The decision was wrong, but it was wrong because it gave the child what he wanted, not because it was "unsafe." People need to grow up (and no, I'm not talking about you, I know you don't endorse calling the cops in that situation)

I'm not justifying the actions of the busybody....nor am I saying it's always inappropriate to leave a child in a car alone. I do think 4 years old is too young, but maybe that's just me. Everyone has their own individual comfort levels. I'm just saying, if Mom isn't comfortable leaving the 4yo kid in the car, he has to go into the store. He doesn't get to decide that Mommy has to go home in order to get his way.

In my climate (hot and humid) we hear about child and pet deaths from being left in cars every year. I don't see how people can be so stupid in those cases...many times, it's younger children who are strapped into car seats, so they can't even unfasten themselves to roll down a window. The parents always say they "forgot"....wtf???

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Haha, that sounds like one of my grandma's maids. Whenever my dad calls he asks "Hi, is my mother home?" and the maid always asks "who's calling?"

My dad is an only child...
    LOL...I am too, and my dad would always joke like that when I would call.

"Hi Dad!"
    "Who's this?"

LOL

Damn, I miss him.

I'm not justifying the actions of the busybody....nor am I saying it's always inappropriate to leave a child in a car alone. I do think 4 years old is too young, but maybe that's just me. Everyone has their own individual comfort levels. I'm just saying, if Mom isn't comfortable leaving the 4yo kid in the car, he has to go into the store. He doesn't get to decide that Mommy has to go home in order to get his way.

In my climate (hot and humid) we hear about child and pet deaths from being left in cars every year. I don't see how people can be so stupid in those cases...many times, it's younger children who are strapped into car seats, so they can't even unfasten themselves to roll down a window. The parents always say they "forgot"....wtf???
    Four seems too young for me too. But ultimately its somewhat subjective. Its not like we can say "well, at seven (say) its fine but at six we're calling CPS". Unless the child is objectively harmed its really the parent's business. If you know the parent personally and you are concerned you can discuss it with the parent. Cops should never be involved.

I can't conceive of how you could "forget" your child in the car. I'm with you there. That's just downright absurd. I wonder if those people are even telling the truth.

I, for one, will feel much safer with this woman off the streets and behind bars. The DA and Police Chief should get bonuses for keeping us safe.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I, for one, will feel much safer with this woman off the streets and behind bars. The DA and Police Chief should get bonuses for keeping us safe.
    I'd feel safer were the police chief and DA behind bars.

You know, I was just thinking...one difference between my childhood and now: these days you can't put a car window up or down without keys in the ignition.

I wonder why. YOu'd think being able to pull them up without keys would be something that would come with more tech, not go away as tech gets better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast