Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Root's Paleo Challenge

Root's Paleo Challenge

My lady friend and I have entered into a 5 week Paleo challenge at our gym. Our goal is to loose weight.

Here are the guidelines:
    No Grains, No Legumes, No Added Sugar. No Dairy. No Excuses.

Allowances:You can have - but are not obligated to have - the following:

Two (2) Paleo alcoholicdrinks per week (e.g. - a glass of organic red wine, tequila, hard cider) and no stockpiling drinks. Make them count.

Two (2) Paleo treats per week (e.g. - one (1) serving of baked Paleo goods, full fat cultured yogurt, 85% chocolate, etc). Please be reasonable with your serving size and note that one (1) serving is rarely a dozen of anything.

One (1) 'off the reservation' cheat meal over the course of the challenge.

I'm pretty good with making Paleo lunch/dinners. For breakfast, I typically have one of the following, 2 of which are not really Paleo
    1. Eggs with any or none of the following: bacon, peppers, mushrooms, onions
    2. Slow-cooked oatmeal with fresh berries and a tablespoon of Vermont Grade B maple syrup
    3. Cottage cheese and fresh pineapple.

Anyone care to share some Paleo breakfast ideas?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My breakfast is usually eggs with a bunch of different vegetables scrambled in - garlic, onions, peppers, spinach, chard, kale, tomato, mushrooms - whatever is on hand. And then on the side some bacon or smoked salmon. Then a little bit of fruit. Variety comes from the different vegetables and spices.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I'm trying not to get into the habit of eggs everyday. I don't know why really, I do love them. I can vary flavor by using different veggies and then bacon once or thrice a week.

I also save my bacon fat to add flavor to veggies used for other meals.

No much help here. going primal helped me rediscover my love for eggs. now I just eat eggs every weekday with some leftover meat mixed in and cheese.

the one thing I make sure to avoid is anything with any sort of sugar as I found that anything with any type of sugar or carbs makes me famished by lunch, but a meat omelet and I'm good until dinner. I leave the sugar or carbs for late lunch snack or dinner.

Today's breakfast:

Omelet with mushrooms, onions and bell peppers and salsa on top when finished cooking. 1/2 cup of fruit salad with walnuts and sliver of almonds. My fruit salad has blueberries, apple, banana and grapes. All organic.

1 cup of organic coffee.
    1 6oz. glass of water with a tbsp. of apple cider vinegar w/MOTHER.

ETA: I forgot I season with; Turmeric, garlic and Celtic sea salt.
    Last edited by donnay; 05-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

steak

with or without the eggs.

For the record, today I weighed in at 212 pounds and I'm 5'11". We have committed to each other to crossfit workouts 4 days a week with an occasional bike ride mixed in.

Get Primal Quick and Easy Meals by downloading this:

http://kickass.to/mark-sisson-the-pr...-t5477488.html

It has quite a few recipes.

Also, my advise to you is: Don't be in any hurry to lose weight! Eat all you want; don't deprive yourself. Just change the type of food you eat. Dieting doesn't work. A couple things I've posted on the subject:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5465701
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5480310

I'm no expert! Just passing along what seems to be the best, highest-quality information on the subject.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm well I would consider eating pastured eggs every day, or at least regularly, it's a pretty good staple and will balance some of the bad fats you may get from bacon or pork products (which also have good fats and is generally ok to eat pretty regularly if it is pastured imo).

Grass fed steak and eggs is superior and a fantastic choice if you can afford to do that.

What I usually do is make coffee and whip some grass-fed butter and coconut oil into it. 1-2 tbs of coconut oil + 1-2 tbs grass fed butter (I personally think this is paleo, but technically is against your guidelines so you can choose if you just want to do the coconut oil and you can try adding in butter after the challenge is over)

Then I usually just have like 4-5 slices of bacon and 3-4 eggs. The bacon I get is pastured so it is ok but isn't the best thing to eat but it has a lot of fat that i need for my energy for the day, I try not to eat carbs for breakfast and will eat my paleo carbs later in the day usually so I mix the high fat bacon with so many good fats that it is ok. In fact, pork fat is superior to chicken fat (though a lot of that I think is dependent on the animal's specific diet)
    Last edited by dannno; 05-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

paleo cereal is good. nuts (pecans, almonds, etc) with unsweetened almond milk. Mix in fresh strawberries, blueberries etc and you're good to go.

Does oatmeal break the no grains rule?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Get Primal Quick and Easy Meals by downloading this:

http://kickass.to/mark-sisson-the-pr...-t5477488.html

It has quite a few recipes.

Also, my advise to you is: Don't be in any hurry to lose weight! Eat all you want; don't deprive yourself. Just change the type of food you eat. Dieting doesn't work. A couple things I've posted on the subject:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5465701
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5480310

I'm no expert! Just passing along what seems to be the best, highest-quality information on the subject.
    I thank you and will read through the links later tonight. I'm in no hurry to lose weight. I used to be 280 and it's taken me years to get to this point. I love to cook and eat too so that won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Hmm well I would consider eating pastured eggs every day, or at least regularly, it's a pretty good staple and will balance some of the bad fats you may get from bacon or pork products (which also have good fats and is generally ok to eat pretty regularly if it is pastured imo).

Grass fed steak and eggs is superior and a fantastic choice if you can afford to do that.

What I usually do is make coffee and whip some grass-fed butter and coconut oil into it. 1-2 tbs of coconut oil + 1-2 tbs grass fed butter (I personally think this is paleo, but technically is against your guidelines so you can choose if you just want to do the coconut oil and you can try adding in butter after the challenge is over)

Then I usually just have like 4-5 slices of bacon and 3-4 eggs. The bacon I get is pastured so it isn't the best thing to eat but it has a lot of fat that i need for my energy for the day, I try not to eat carbs for breakfast and will eat my paleo carbs later in the day usually so I mix the high fat bacon with so many good fats that it is ok. In fact, pork fat is superior to chicken fat (though a lot of that I think is dependent on the animal's specific diet)
    Good deal! I can afford that a few days a week, at least for now...

I stopped drinking milk a few months ago, and have grown used to almond milk coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    paleo cereal is good. nuts (pecans, almonds, etc) with unsweetened almond milk. Mix in fresh strawberries, blueberries etc and you're good to go.
    I really don't like nuts. I know I should eat them however. Fruits I'm saving for dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Does oatmeal break the no grains rule?
    Yeah, it does. I love oatmeal with fresh berries too. It's only 5 weeks.

Thankfully I have 2 gallons of apple wine fermenting that should be ready by this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I really don't like nuts. I know I should eat them however. Fruits I'm saving for dessert.
    For the first year and such I made some nutbars that I had for breakfast everyday. lost lots of weight that way. I posted a bunch of nutbar recipes in another thread around here somewhere.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't do crossfit style workouts until you've lost a good amount of weight and are at least reasonably athletic and coordinated. You're asking to tear ligaments or otherwise injure something pretty severely if you try to work out like that while being overweight and untrained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Don't do crossfit style workouts until you've lost a good amount of weight and are at least reasonably athletic and coordinated. You're asking to tear ligaments or otherwise injure something pretty severely if you try to work out like that while being overweight and untrained.
    I've been doing CrossFit for almost six weeks now. I'm in reasonably good shape. I am expert level skier who also mountain bikes, and hikes regularly during my off-season. Pulled a quad two weeks ago and it healed up much quicker than I expected.

Official starting stats:
    Weight - 211.6#
    Waist - 39.5"
    Hips - 42"

Paleo pancakes are my new favorite meal.... for any time of day. Just 1 egg + 1 banana, mixed, and put into a skillet with some ghee or coconut oil. omfg. it's the only way I consume eggs (just... don't... like... the ... texture).

Since you don't like nuts, "Enjoy Life" has a nice seed and fruit mix I've been nomzin' on. I found them at ShopRite.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

3 egg omlette or scrambled eggs, topped with salsa (I prefer verde), cheese, and sour cream. If you have grilled chicken, that goes well on it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    Paleo pancakes are my new favorite meal.... for any time of day. Just 1 egg + 1 banana, mixed, and put into a skillet with some ghee or coconut oil. omfg. it's the only way I consume eggs (just... don't... like... the ... texture).

Since you don't like nuts, "Enjoy Life" has a nice seed and fruit mix I've been nomzin' on. I found them at ShopRite.
    Cool! Thanks. I can't stand the Springfield ShopRite on Morris Ave. It smells like stale produce in there. Or death. I'll make a special visit however, as I need some decent snacks still.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    3 egg omlette or scrambled eggs, topped with salsa (I prefer verde), cheese, and sour cream. If you have grilled chicken, that goes well on it as well.
    I actually had salsa omelette today but with 1/2 avocado. Sour cream is dairy, so that's out but sounds great!

Cool! Thanks. I can't stand the Springfield ShopRite on Morris Ave. It smells like stale produce in there. Or death. I'll make a special visit however, as I need some decent snacks still.
    I thought that was what all shoprites smelled like. I can't stand that place, I drive 15min further to go to wegmans instead every week.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I thought that was what all shoprites smelled like. I can't stand that place, I drive 15min further to go to wegmans instead every week.
    I wish there was a wegmans nearby. I do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joes but sometimes I go to A&P. Both are 10-15 mins further away. That smell grosses me out. When the local SR was renovated a few years back, they actually got the smell out for a few months, but it returned. Puke.

If you try it, make them small (small enough they can fit on a flipper) and make sure you use good oil so they won't stick - or you'll make banana-egg scramble. take it from the expert in banana-egg scramble

otherwise, they turn out nomiful and like this:

and also just to brag... cashew-creme "cheesecake" with date/almond crust (paleo):

mostly everything can be paleo-ofied. I love it!

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

^ That looks delish! I will give them a try for sure and let ya know how I make out.

My favorite breakfast happens to be Paleo...

2 fried eggs over easy on a bed of organic spring mix (salad), when you cut up the eggs on the salad the yolk is the salad dressing. It tastes better than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

2 fried eggs over easy on a bed of organic spring mix (salad), when you cut up the eggs on the salad the yolk is the salad dressing. It tastes better than it sounds.
    Make it an arugula salad and I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Good idea! My breakfasts have all been eggs since last Wednesday. I'm growing ok with it. Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and fresh basil is now my 3rd favorite breakfast.

As of Saturday, I've lost about 3 pounds. I've been asked not to weigh my self until Wednesday again, and then only weekly. Sigh, my ocd doesn't like that, but ok.

I feel fantastic and I'm sleeping better, but still need pharmaceuticals to get more than 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It sucks, but I'm hoping that when the nightmare I've been living with for the past year or so ends in a few days that will change. Oh yeah, bought a new bed which arrives on Sunday. Super excited about that .

I went mountain biking for the first time since starting crossfit this weekend. Holy $#@!!! Mind blown. Exponential improvement in my performance not only on the climbs, but overall balance, handling/cornering and absorbing the terrain. If this is what 6 weeks of crossfit does for my biking, I'm stoked to see what 6 months will do for my skiing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast