Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Storage questions

Food Storage questions

We are moving. The plan is to get some property and build a big enough place to call a family compound, but until that's built, we are going to be staying with my parents and helping take care of dad, who's STILL not home after the April hip replacement.. anyway
    I've been stockpiling food stuffs.. way more than will fit in their house. I do have a climate controlled storage facility reserved but am unsure of food storage in one of those places. Might anyone have any experience with climate controlled storage?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. If I understand correctly, climate control means if it gets too bloody hot they have AC. right?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I think so.. re AC - just guessing that they *cool* to just under candle melting temperature - at least I hope so.
    The stuff I want to store is mostly in glass jars and some cans. I have a lot of rice that needs to be repackaged into critter proof containers too.
    so much work for one human..
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I think so.. re AC - just guessing that they *cool* to just under candle melting temperature - at least I hope so.
    The stuff I want to store is mostly in glass jars and some cans. I have a lot of rice that needs to be repackaged into critter proof containers too.
    so much work for one human..
    Oh I feel for you...it is an enormous amount of work, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

I also like to use those foodsaver bags to keep my dry goods secure. It also has a mason/ball jar sealer to store dry goods in jars.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I use Mason jars for rice/flour/pasta, etc. storage. Have you thought about some underbed storage? Works well with Ziploc-type bags too--I use a straw to suck the air out and zip it up (not good w/flour for obvious reasons.)

I'm not sure what amount of space/food you have, but there are some pretty creative solutions, like bedside stand storage. Big vacuum bags are pretty useful too, for clothes/linens and dry goods. Keeps everything bug-free and as compact as possible. If you have to get storage, try to see if you can put all your kitchen/winter clothes, etc. in there and keep the food in the house if possible.

I have a 2100 sq foot house going into storage.. climate controlled mostly and my husband's pole barn contents.. storage of the non climate controlled kind. I just cannot see putting anything fabric, wood or metal that rusts into non climate control areas - much less any cardboard here where the humidity won't allow tape to stick.

At my folks place, there's pretty much room for some clothes and hubby's meds but we will have our cats too and they have their own stuff. The only food we will be able to bring is the frozen and refrigerated kind.. there's no room in their house either since dad started doing the prep for SHTF scenarios a couple years ago too.

I'm gonna miss the king size bed - only a queen fits in the room there. Hopefully this arrangement will only extend to the end of this year and we can get a place suitable for all of us that doesn't require off site storage facilities.

Don't keep anything in boxes. Vermin will get to it. If you're doing serious storage, Seal up rice / flour / beans inside 7 mil thick mylar bags with oxygen absorbers inside a 5 gallon bucket. You can find these at walmart, lowes, home depot. I prefer to buy them used at donut shops, bakeries, or firehouse subs. They sell them all super cheap ($1-$2).

Then you're talking serious storage. As long as you keep it temperature controlled 60-70 degrees, they should last 10-30 years.

I rarely keep anything in boxes and am wary about plastic too so most of what's going to have to be stored is either in glass jars or cans. My jars/cans will be in boxes though - they stack a whole lot better and don't waste space like round buckets would.
    I have a lot of rice (in huge pickle jars) - no flour since we are off wheat and a some organic/ non gmo corn meal that I keep in the freezer.. that might have to come with us and not go to storage.. I use it pretty frequently. Beans, seeds and spices are in jars. My cans are mostly tomato products and there are assorted bottles of condiments. hot sauce out the wazoo for hubby. Around here, hot sauce is more of a beverage than a condiment. I do need to get my pink salt into jars..
    *sigh* I'm still sort of cooking so can't pack up the whole pantry .. yet.

I somehow suspect that 60-70 degrees is not going to play.. I am going to guess that it's more like 80-85. I'm actually hoping for an electric outlet so I can plug in the upright freezer but not counting on that - shhhh.. don't tell them though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ever thought of selling your stockpile? Maybe on Craigslist? If the house you're going to has already got a SHTF stash whats the point of paying $100 a month for a second stash 10 years of beans in buckets? Seems like an incredible waste of money to store a whole extra set of stuff?

Anyway, looks like you're thinking about the mice. That'd be my biggest concern

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I use Mason jars for rice/flour/pasta, etc. storage. Have you thought about some underbed storage? Works well with Ziploc-type bags too--I use a straw to suck the air out and zip it up (not good w/flour for obvious reasons.)
    Ziplock bags aren't truly air tight. Go with mylar bags and seal them with an iron.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Ziplock bags aren't truly air tight. Go with mylar bags and seal them with an iron.
    Yeah--good point. I store rice in small serving-size bags, then in the Ziploc bags and that's good enough for the likes of me. I have a ton of Mason jars, so I'll stick with those for flour, sugar and other powdered stuff..

I'm getting the climate controlled storage unit for way more than just food. Nothing fabric, wood, or rustable metal can go in a Florida heat box for storage.. esp considering the humidity too - tape won't even stick to cardboard boxes in standard storage units for very long. The non-climate controlled area is for the stuff that's in hubby's barn - the lawn mowers.. tractor.. garden stuff.. all his *salvage* materials and plastic porch furniture.

I'm gonna miss the king size bed - only a queen fits in the room there.
    Build yourself a platform for a queen mattress. Forget the box spring - just set the mattress into a frame (sitting on legs secured to the frame with metal) to hold it in place. Make it so the platform is about 18" off the floor. Now you have a 5'x6.5'x1.5' storage area right there under your bed. It will hold lots of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Build yourself a platform for a queen mattress. Forget the box spring - just set the mattress into a frame (sitting on legs secured to the frame with metal) to hold it in place. Make it so the platform is about 18" off the floor. Now you have a 5'x6.5'x1.5' storage area right there under your bed. It will hold lots of boxes.
    hmmm.. ours is a wooden frame that hubby built for just such storage but isn't 18" high.. it's made with 2x12s and more of an H frame.. sideways and 3/4" plywood for the platform. He's got boxes on wheels built for ammo storage under there..and a couple of the long guns. We are both over 6' tall and no one in my family is svelte.. yeah.. gonna miss the big bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    I've done this, except it was built as a workbench and maybe 3.5' high. You can store a ton of stuff under that.

as to the climate controlled storage locker, 80-85deg is going to seriously shorten the shelf life, or at least the palatability of the food. You ideally want to store stuff close to 40 deg. I would strongly suggest checking out a book from the library called the $50 and up underground house book. Then compare what a years climate controlled storage would cost vs a 1 day rental of a back hoe... Yes - root cellar FTW!!!

You can seal mylar with a curling iron.

-t

Yeah--good point. I store rice in small serving-size bags, then in the Ziploc bags and that's good enough for the likes of me. I have a ton of Mason jars, so I'll stick with those for flour, sugar and other powdered stuff..

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    love the pic.. thanks

re underground storage.. when we get property.. yep.. root cellar FTW but not staying with the folks.. they're a whopping 4 feet above sea level.. can't dig a hole without some ground water seeping when you get to around 2' down.. was awesome for planting trees though.

The plan for the food storage is to use it as we need.. make the storage facility the alternative grocery store, keeping the prep dad has done in tact. I've probably got between 3 and 4 months worth of stuff to feed 2 people in mostly jars and cans that I need to store. With 4 of us, that will dwindle a little quicker without hitting dad's supply.. we will of course build it right back up when we get property - hopefully before the end of the year. I'm hoping for either November or December.. much cooler months to move.

Calm down Eduardo. You've probably done far more drugs than I ever have.

And that's a nice pic of your girlfriend.

Calm down Eduardo. You've probably done far more drugs than I ever have.
    Because I'm Mexican? Racist.
    And that's a nice pic of your girlfriend.
    Thanks, but I don't think my wife will like her.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post
    Don't keep anything in boxes. Vermin will get to it. If you're doing serious storage, Seal up rice / flour / beans inside 7 mil thick mylar bags with oxygen absorbers inside a 5 gallon bucket. You can find these at walmart, lowes, home depot. I prefer to buy them used at donut shops, bakeries, or firehouse subs. They sell them all super cheap ($1-$2).

Then you're talking serious storage. As long as you keep it temperature controlled 60-70 degrees, they should last 10-30 years.
    ichtsnay on the bucketbay unless they are metallic. Rats and mice will make short work of a plastic vessel.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Because I'm Mexican? Racist.
    Thanks, but I don't think my wife will like her.
    Go take a siesta, Pedro, Consuela will love your new ladyfriend.

I think I met her at the bar one night a few decades ago....

*Pokes the dinosaur thread*

so.. coffee in mylar - whole beans or ground? thoughts?

I'd do whole beans with Oxygen Absorbers.

https://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Sorb-Oxyg.../dp/B0028AG8RO

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Probably whole.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I think I met her at the bar one night a few decades ago....
    You are not the only one.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Thanks - that takes out a big time consuming step

Biggest thing in food storage is to:

Eat what you store and store what you eat.

Keeping food rotated and steadily replaced as you eat it, will insure that you have food that is edible if and when TSHTF.
    There is no spoon.

I eat a lot of fresh green leafys.. that's challenging

I eat a lot of fresh green leafys.. that's challenging
    That's the stuff you grow.
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast