Thread: Dick Cheney: Rand Paul is 'not familiar with the facts'

Dick Cheney: Rand Paul is 'not familiar with the facts'

CNN's Ashley Killough
    May 18th, 2014 02:09 PM ET

(CNN) – In a response to comments by Sen. Rand Paul, former Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday he had no ties to Halliburton after he became vice president and during the Iraq War.

"I had no relationship at all with the company throughout the time that I was vice president. I didn't even talk to them," Cheney said on "Fox News Sunday."

"We kept totally at arm's length relationship," he continued. "So he obviously is not familiar with the facts."

Paul came under hot water with some Republicans after a 2009 video surfaced in which he made a speech suggesting that Cheney pushed for the Iraq War out of his own corporate interests with Halliburton, an oil field services company where he once served as CEO.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ith-the-facts/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    transcript:

WALLACE: Finally, we're going to be electing a new president in 2016, Mr. Vice President -- and you've done this with me before -- I want to play a -- a lightning round, quick questions, quick answers on some of the potential candidates.

Senator Rand Paul. Senator Paul said last month that he thought you might have a potential conflict of interest during the invasion of the -- of Iraq during 2003, because you had worked for Halliburton and the defense industry.

How do you respond to that?

D. CHENEY: Well, before I ever took the job as vice president, I totally severed all my ties with Halliburton, at considerable financial cost. I had no relationship at all with the company throughout the time I was vice president. I didn't even talk to them. We kept a totally arm's length relationship.

So he obviously is not familiar with the facts.
    http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-ne...zi-and-hillary

Rand never said he was with Haliburton when the decision was made to go into Iraq. There's answering a question, then there's whatever this was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Rand never said he was with Haliburton when the decision was made to go into Iraq. There's answering a question, then there's whatever this was.

Here is your answer....

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

He didn't sign any dividend checks from Halliburton, either.

He had all that reinvested in yet more stock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

What a coincidence, neither was the Bush administration.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    What a coincidence, neither was the Bush administration.
    Coincidence? But it wasn't Paul who was 'not familiar with the facts' in this case either.

Dearest $#@! Cheney: Owning stock in a company is, in fact, a 'relationship'. So, you just lied again.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

"I had no relationship at all with the company throughout the time that I was vice president. I didn't even talk to them," Cheney said on "Fox News Sunday."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone else wish he didnt survive heart surgery?

EZ investigation question:

Did DC own H stock at that time? If not, maybe Snowden has all his Emails that detail all his arm length arms links around that time...

If so, his pants are probably smoldering (or ablaze) in anticipation of any eternal fire and brimstone deals he may have already lined up for himself.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Haliburton is such a large company and there are maybe a handful in the world that can do what they do. With that said, they do thrive in reclamation projects such as seen in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Coincidence? But it wasn't Paul who was 'not familiar with the facts' in this case either.

Dearest $#@! Cheney: Owning stock in a company is, in fact, a 'relationship'. So, you just lied again.
    I think it's crazy to perpetuate the theory that Dick Cheney pushed for war for merely monetary gain when individuals like him are far more forward thinking. People like Zbigniew Brzezinski and Cheney don't care about money at their level. Money generation aids greatly in swaying allegiances, but on a personal level, nefarious visionaries like this aren't driven by something as banal as money at their ages.
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-18-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I think it's crazy to perpetuate the theory that Dick Cheney pushed for war for merely monetary gain when individuals like him are far more forward thinking. People like Zbigniew Brzezinski and Cheney don't care about money at their level. Money generation aids greatly in swaying allegiances, but on a personal level, nefarious visionaries like this aren't driven by something as banal as money at their ages.
    Rand didn't push that theory, though. He merely said that Cheney's time at Haliburton may have influenced the way he looked at foreign policy, and used Cheney's previous statements/position on Iraq as a counterpoint to Cheney's position in Bush 43's administration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Rand didn't push that theory, though. He merely said that Cheney's time at Haliburton may have influenced the way he looked at foreign policy, and used Cheney's previous statements/position on Iraq as a counterpoint to Cheney's position in Bush 43's administration.
    True. Rand didn't exactly say that but many people subscribe to this flawed theory.

I agree with Rand 100% on what he said about the revolving door. No more revolving door!! And term limits! Screw these career politicians all to hell!!
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Cheney fears going to pwison.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will Rand Paul start an investigation committee in order to arrest Cheney when elected POTUS?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Will Rand Paul start an investigation committee in order to arrest Cheney when elected POTUS?
    Suppose he were. Would he answer that question?

Suppose you were hunting deer. Would you attach a siren and disco lights to your tree stand?

Cheney is full of crap. He had Halliburton stock in his "blind trust" and he knew it.

Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. (With Ron Paul as Obi Wan)

Nothing to see here guys, it was only a "coincidence" that Cheney who used to work for Haliburton becomes vice president then Haliburton gets this nice fat contract from the United States government. No collusion here at all. Crazy conspiracy theorists!!

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    He didn't sign any dividend checks from Halliburton, either.

He had all that reinvested in yet more stock...

The PINK ELEPHANT in the room that nobody is talking about is how much of Cheney's salary and other earnings while he worked for Haliburton were essentially in exchange for future services (war lobbying)?
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.