Thread: Got a minute? Simple things to do for Rand Paul or other liberty candidates

Got a minute? Simple things to do for Rand Paul or other liberty candidates

Welcoming suggestions for simple things one can do to help Rand Paul become president.

My ideas:

- Share a link

Choose wisely! My experience is that less is more.

- Start a conversation

What do you think about Rand Paul? Who do you want to be President? My experience is, let them talk, nudge, don't argue.

- Read up on Rand's positions

Familiarize yourself with where he stands. Much easier to inform people that there is a candidate who believes what they already do, than to convince them to change their positions.

What else?
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I already know everything about this man. It's scary to a degree. I remember when I was 14 and I was just learning about Rand. Time flies man. I consider myself lucky since I was exposed to the Pauls at such an early age.

You are lucky that I am not in US.Me starting conversation with statist scum is worst thing I that I could do for Rand

This is also true also for Danke (or is it Donnay or Danno???...Which one is the weird one? I mix them always. I know one of them is wife of AF).
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

The OP has nothing but good suggestions.

Keep in mind that if your goal is winning votes then NEVER leave someone feeling insulted. Harsh insults directed at their candidate insults their judgement.
    Explain what you like about the candidate they're leaning towards, agree with some of their assessments then offer a few things that made you 'unsure' about their candidate or reasons why you like Rand better. Remember when people would insult Ron Paul to our faces? It didn't make us any more friendly to their position, did it?

Most of us are in states that are later on in the primary contest. They don't have to have Rand as their #1 the entire time, just as long as he is at least #2 and the only viable option when primary day comes.

Make friends, not enemies.

... for people in Iowa its gonna be a lot harder. We need you to get Rand to be the #1 choice of the majority.

--

It is also good to have a bit of damage control practice.
    Like responses ready to people who want to attack Rand for 'supporting Amnesty'. "We need a president that is devoted to securing the border and I think Rand is the most serious candidate in that regard."

This is from 2007, by Forever4Now:

Individual: Non-Internet
    Talk to everyone (family, friends, neighbors, workmates, classmates, strangers)
    Join a Meetup group & participate
    Donate to the Campaign
    Donate to ChipIn; Make pledge to PledgeBank
    Ask family & friends to donate
    Wear RP t-shirt, hat, button, lapel sticker, wristband
    Add bumper sticker, window decal, etc. to vehicle
    Display yard/window sign at home and small business
    Distribute promotional material (flyers, CDs/DVDs, ...)
    Post flyers on message boards (work, campus, stores, ...)
    Hang posters in work elevator, office
    Stamp envelopes, packages, business cards, money, ...
    Place stickers on envelopes, packages, business cards, ...
    Distribute "Tax Free Tips Act" to tip-based employees
    Distribute "Keeping Promises to Seniors" to seniors
    Give RP gifts (books, liberty dollars, ...)
    Send RP Christmas & Holiday gift cards
    Volunteer for Republican club at school
    Produce YouTube videos & music

Individual: Internet
    Add RP comment/graphic/link to email signature
    Email Ron Paul video links to family & friends
    Subscribe to RP YouTube, MySpace, Facebook
    Add RP content in MySpace, Facebook profile
    Comment on RP videos & articles
    Participate in blog discussions
    Comment in political forums & on political websites
    Comment on other candidate videos, blogs, news articles?
    Display "I/We support Ron Paul" website graphic
    Add your photo to Ron Paul Mosaic
    Add your name to the Ron Paul Registry
    Vote in online polls
    Add comments to Yahoo! & Google Groups
    Post FaceBook flyers
    Participate in MySpace letter campaign
    Make Craigslist posts
    Conduct an email campaign (your address book, ...)

Group: Non-Internet
    Attend GOP County, Town & City committee meetings
    Attend GOP Summer & Fall events
    Attend Libertarian party functions
    Attend Town Hall meetings
    Host a Ron Paul booth at fairs & flea markets
    Organize a Fundraiser
    Organize a voter registration drive
    Organize a Tax Free Tips Act canvass
    Organize a Laptop Brigade
    Participate in the Nationwide Rallies
    Organize a local rally, walk, biking event
    Organize a sign waving event
    Organize a sign & banner hanging event
    Organize a Ron Paul Pub Crawl
    Organize a Neighbor-to-Neighbor campaign (letter HERE)
    Organize Operation "Woodwork"
    Organize a group debate
    Organize a call-a-thon to registered voters
    Organize a video showing (senior home, church, busy area)
    Chalk sidewalks
    Distribute Ron Paul book to libraries
    Organize a Double Agent event
    Conduct a neighborhood survey to see who has heard of RP
    Interact with movements/associations (e.g. anti-war, pro-life, veteran, Christian, ...)

Local/Mainstream Media
    Contact newspapers/radio/TV for RP coverage (RNC tool for writing letters)
    Contact talk shows to request RP as guest
    Write local/mainstream newspaper & magazine articles
    Write student newspaper articles
    Take out newspaper & magazine ads (N.H. ad)
    Arrange newspaper inserts
    Comment on newspaper forums
    Take out free classified ads
    Participate in "Hope Across America" radio initiative
    Run SpotRunner TV ads

Open Air Advertising
    Airplane banners
    Skytyping
    Billboards; Other outdoor advertisers
    Remote Control Airplanes
    Rooftop ads (e.g. Google Ron Paul in NY)
    Public transportation ads
    What worked? What didn't?
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

I have some ideas for how to organize closer to the election but a bit concerned as to when and where to reveal them... I think our grassroots will be so much more powerful than any other that it doesn't matter... any thoughts on this?

Find points of agreement. Don't argue.

When talking to a democrat, use your heart. Don't dismiss their concerns, but gently offer better solutions. For example, with the minimum wage, don't argue how it hurts businesses or the economy, but show them how it ends up hurting poor people the most.

When talking to a republican, use your brain. You're not trying to win them over to Rand, you're just trying to make Rand an acceptable alternative. Don't bash their favorite republican - that's dumb. Say something like you'd like to see Rand, but whoever wins would be better than Hillary.

It's about being inclusive instead of exclusive. Always find common ground and work together instead of against them.

Again, with both sides, you are not trying to win an argument, you are just demonstrating you care about the same things. Make Rand an acceptable choice.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Donate to ChipIn; Make pledge to PledgeBank
    As there are many who are disgruntled from donating to the official campaign, I think it's important that we list ways that money can be effectively spent. There have been many wastes of money in both grassroots and campaign projects, and of course everyone feels differently what they were and how wasteful. There have also been successes. Rather than debate what those were here, I'd like to focus on making sure that people who have extra money and want Rand to be president know what their options are. If there were a great place that had 'take action' initiatives, and I were in charge of campaign fundraising emails, I would include the link in my letters.

People should be aware of the things they can do with their money on their own (buy a bumpersticker), through the campaign (ideally deciding what specific activity their money is funding), and through grassroots initiatives (funding a chipin by well-vetted grassroots leaders).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    This is from 2007, by Forever4Now:

What worked? What didn't?
    Sign waving way overated. Only goes so far. I had fun with them in 07', but far better uses of time.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Sign waving way overated. Only goes so far. I had fun with them in 07', but far better uses of time.
    Opinions vary greatly. I think as name recognition increases, sign waving becomes less valuable. I think it was motivating to those involved. Some of those I was involved with started out with a sign-making party - we talked about other valuable things while we were making signs, and had a bunch of signs to put places afterwards. Also it's not a zero-sum game - sign waving motivates some people to do something when they might not have done anything otherwise - and allows meetups to network. Not sure where signwaving fits in with this campaign though.

Sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Ha! I have to agree with this to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin
    Opinions vary greatly. I think as name recognition increases, sign waving becomes less valuable. I think it was motivating to those involved. Some of those I was involved with started out with a sign-making party - we talked about other valuable things while we were making signs, and had a bunch of signs to put places afterwards. Also it's not a zero-sum game - sign waving motivates some people to do something when they might not have done anything otherwise - and allows meetups to network. Not sure where signwaving fits in with this campaign though.
    Oh man, same here. So many fond memories from 2007/2008.

As someone recently said on facebook. It was like, "oh hey, you like Ron Paul too? Cool! Let's get together and change the world!"

That's me with the red hair bent over. I was pregnant with my first.

There was such a naivete & fellowship, just because we saw each other as intelligent human beings who simply wanted to make this country better by electing a President who could actually CHANGE things.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Sooner rather than later.

This is *the* most important thing to do right now. Even if you don't go to the meetings, go to the local parades - find the Republicans - and walk with them. Find their booths at the local festivals and talk with them (NOT ARGUE!) Find a candidate locally that you can support and do it with all you've got. If you can't find someone - then *BE* that candidate!!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    This is *the* most important thing to do right now. Even if you don't go to the meetings, go to the local parades - find the Republicans - and walk with them. Find their booths at the local festivals and talk with them (NOT ARGUE!) Find a candidate locally that you can support and do it with all you've got. If you can't find someone - then *BE* that candidate!!
    Yes - do what Rand is doing. Network - build connections
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

bump

As someone recently said on facebook. It was like, "oh hey, you like Ron Paul too? Cool! Let's get together and change the world!"

There was such a naivete & fellowship, just because we saw each other as intelligent human beings who simply wanted to make this country better by electing a President who could actually CHANGE things.
    That's awesome!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What part of Indiana are you from?
    Just out of curiosity. You don't need to answer if you don't want to.

As there are many who are disgruntled from donating to the official campaign, I think it's important that we list ways that money can be effectively spent. There have been many wastes of money in both grassroots and campaign projects, and of course everyone feels differently what they were and how wasteful. There have also been successes. Rather than debate what those were here, I'd like to focus on making sure that people who have extra money and want Rand to be president know what their options are. If there were a great place that had 'take action' initiatives, and I were in charge of campaign fundraising emails, I would include the link in my letters.

People should be aware of the things they can do with their money on their own (buy a bumpersticker), through the campaign (ideally deciding what specific activity their money is funding), and through grassroots initiatives (funding a chipin by well-vetted grassroots leaders).
    On the topic posted above:

The longer I've been around politics the more I think about where to spend money and how far that money actually goes. Reminds me of the parable of the three men, each given a certain amount of money by their master.
    If funds are limited (I'm near broke) make sure you're spending what you do spend wisely.

There is always hype going on but make sure you don't give in too quickly.
    If you can only afford to donate $50, that $50 might be better spent on an individual project rather than thrown into a money bomb.

And grassroots projects are often times not carried out the exact way they're advertised. Make sure you understand how they plan on using the money and have some sort of accountability to be sure the money is spent wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    On the topic posted above:

The longer I've been around politics the more I think about where to spend money and how far that money actually goes. Reminds me of the parable of the three men, each given a certain amount of money by their master.
    If funds are limited (I'm near broke) make sure you're spending what you do spend wisely.

There is always hype going on but make sure you don't give in too quickly.
    If you can only afford to donate $50, that $50 might be better spent on an individual project rather than thrown into a money bomb.

And grassroots projects are often times not carried out the exact way they're advertised. Make sure you understand how they plan on using the money and have some sort of accountability to be sure the money is spent wisely.
    Yes, and time and resources are generally best spent on blockwalking, followed by direct mail. We need to make sure more local candidates win, $50 is literally nothing in a national or statewide campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Yes, and time and resources are generally best spent on blockwalking, followed by direct mail. We need to make sure more local candidates win, $50 is literally nothing in a national or statewide campaign.
    For the campaign itself, definitely. Networking locally, GOTV, definitely. There will also be people who live in remote areas, or in precincts where the campaign may not have an HQ nearby. Varied options and lots of vetting will be in order.

For the campaign itself, definitely. Networking locally, GOTV, definitely. There will also be people who live in remote areas, or in precincts where the campaign may not have an HQ nearby. Varied options and lots of vetting will be in order.
    It is difficult to do anything really productive without help from campaigns directly. I've done the whole sign waving thing, but it does not have the same effect as talking to likely primary voters. We really need stronger local grassroots.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    It is difficult to do anything really productive without help from campaigns directly.
    It doesn't sound like you personally will be doing much outside the campaign. I hope you realize there will be many people with time and resources who are willing to do something, but can't or won't work with the campaign. I hope you are not saying those people should sit out. It is a reality and their options can be well vetted to minimize wasteful efforts and diversion to inefficient or fraudulent volunteer projects.

I've done the whole sign waving thing,
    Campaigns hire people to wave signs. Every campaign has sign wavers. 'The whole' signwaving 'thing' is going to happen, even if it has zero effect. Grassroots projects will happen, no matter how many people don't like them.

but it does not have the same effect as talking to likely primary voters.
    Definitely, that's what the campaign will be doing. I think leaving that part to the campaign, and volunteering with the campaign to do it, is #1 for people capable, qualified, and interested in doing it. What about the rest?

Both for official campaign and for grassroot organizations:
    People feel uncomfortable with certain aspects of campaigning (talking with people etc.) and most want that you hold their hands and make them do something that they are comfortable doing. This means that campaign&RPF should have wide range of things that volunteers can do. Maybe set them in priorities:
    1. phone-calls
    2. donations
    54. Posting comments under new articles and voting up positive ones (one good comment is like payed banner/commercial)
    99. most useless task-but still better than doing nothing

Give people every possible reason to get involved and come back. If they do one little thing many will come back. Some will do more, some will keep volunteering and getting involved. The more they get involved more complicated/useful/uncomfortable tasks they will do.

I was surprised how few opportunities for volunteering were on RPFs during PRs campaign. It was all ad hoc and "find yourself something to do". It works for fanatical ones but not for others. "Others" just go away or stay on sidelines and do nothing.

Now is the time to plan activities for volunteers and not when those activities start. Now is also time to make connections with other libertarian/Tea/conservative organizations. Making lists of them and letting leaders of those organizations to know you. During money-bombs it was really awkward when some other "RP" sites didnt want to spread the word about money-bomb, volunteering opportunity etc. I was surprised that no one had list of contacts for all libertarian organizations, sites, forums etc. It was like: "i know a guy who knows a guy" or one guy who never met or talked to other guy is trying to get in touch with him. Money-bombs were great and successful because they vent viral. Viral is not controllable and therefore cant be relied upon.

P.s.
    For every volunteering activity you need "guide". Guide people every step of the way.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Good post Barrex.

Even here, we tend to forget the lurkers.

Those of us here tend to think people should KNOW what to do, but you're right...even if many won't admit it or recognize it.

We need leaders, deadlines, etc. those who don't want to be bossed can do their own things.

But we ABSOLUTELY need leaders willing to put the time in and just trust that people will follow. Be the wingman.
    Be the first follower...
    http://youtu.be/fW8amMCVAJQ

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good post Barrex.

Even here, we tend to forget the lurkers.

Those of us here tend to think people should KNOW what to do, but you're right...even if many won't admit it or recognize it.

We need leaders, deadlines, etc. those who don't want to be bossed can do their own things.

But we ABSOLUTELY need leaders willing to put the time in and just trust that people will follow. Be the wingman.
    Be the first follower...
    http://youtu.be/fW8amMCVAJQ
    That's an interesting video with some pithy points.

I'll be a "first follower" (readers will understand that comment when they watch the video) and make mosquitobite's video an imbed, to make it one stop shopping and make a repeat impression on audience

Last edited by francisco; 05-26-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Thanks francisco. Was on the iPad and too tired to deal with the formatting!

Start the spark for the Tipping Point
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Tipping-Po.../dp/0316346624
    Last edited by mosquitobite; 05-27-2014 at 06:00 PM.

A real simple thing you can do is run for your Central Committee Precinct chair. I ran unopposed, cost me less than $20. Bam, I get a vote at the local level to endorse candidates.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    A real simple thing you can do is run for your Central Committee Precinct chair. I ran unopposed, cost me less than $20. Bam, I get a vote at the local level to endorse candidates.