Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird: heard a single cicada outside just now

Weird: heard a single cicada outside just now

Pretty sure this is a non-cicada year here, and for there to be only one is bizarre in any case. I'm guessing this fella forgot to set his alarm and slept through 2013.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mini spy drone
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Awww, poor guy's lost.

Don’t sing to me anymore, cicada
    Let your singsong end
    For your song here in my soul
    Stabs me like a dagger
    Knowing that when you sing
    You are announcing that you are going to your death.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    ...forgot to set his alarm and slept through...
    That happens... but most of them will remain right on schedule.

Is it an annual cicada, or one of those nasty little red-eyed critters? (The ones with the red eyes creep me out!!)

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Is it an annual cicada, or one of those nasty little red-eyed critters? (The ones with the red eyes creep me out!!)
    No idea, I only heard it did not see it. I've only ever seen the periodics around here, I didn't even know there were annuals. Had to look it up.

No idea, I only heard it did not see it. I've only ever seen the periodics around here, I didn't even know there were annuals. Had to look it up.

Here in Indiana the annual cicadas are pretty common. Best of all, they're a nice, friendly bug-green. No nasty creepy red eyes!

"According to folk legend, when you hear the first song of the dog-day cicadas, it means there's just six weeks until frost. While this may not be a precise predictor, ..."

http://insects.about.com/od/insectfo...adas-frost.htm

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    "According to folk legend, when you hear the first song of the dog-day cicadas, it means there's just six weeks until frost. While this may not be a precise predictor, ..."

http://insects.about.com/od/insectfo...adas-frost.htm

Hrrmph. Figures. I knew it...

Summer has been cancelled this year!

Doggone it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Hrrmph. Figures. I knew it...

Summer has been cancelled this year!

Doggone it anyway.
    Don't even joke about that...

A bird will have that cicada by the end of the day.

While crickets and cicadas sing..... a rare and different tune....

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Pretty sure this is a non-cicada year here, and for there to be only one is bizarre in any case. I'm guessing this fella forgot to set his alarm and slept through 2013.
    We have yearly ones here as well , but not this early in the yr that I remember .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    We have yearly ones here as well , but not this early in the yr that I remember .
    Yeah it is awful early, but it was just the one. Only time I'd ever heard a single cicada in the past, is when they manage to get into the house.

Night of the Cicada. Good short story title (in the context of the OP). Setting: Washington, DC.

Probably it's only because of climate change, just like everything else.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Don’t sing to me anymore, cicada
    Let your singsong end
    For your song here in my soul
    Stabs me like a dagger
    Knowing that when you sing
    You are announcing that you are going to your death.

[Linda Ronstadt video]
    You know, I bet that kind of thing wouldn't happen if cicadas had a healthcare system as good as the one in Cuba ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

This just in over on Fark.

The KEEEE-EEEEE seventeen year cicKEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEE cicadas are back and in KEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEEE full force this year KEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEEE KEEEE-EEEEE GODDAMMIT SHUT UP

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...nvade/9207641/

Comments;

http://www.fark.com/comments/8264359...DAMMIT-SHUT-UP

Comments like this one;

"There are 21 broods of 13 and 17 year cicadas that come out in various parts of the country. You just hear about every single emergence thanks to the miracle of the internet, but you probably have not heard about them coming out that often locally. Some parts of the country do have multiple overlapping broods, though, so you *might* see two or three emergences every 17 years.

And then there are yearly cicadas, which look completely different, and which come out in different parts of the country."

Yay!

Cicadas in Georgia: Swarms expected soon

ATLANTA - Southerners with a keen sense of sound and a watchful eye for insects are in for a surprise as swarms of cicadas and their overpowering hums make their way to the Southeast any day now.

These insects, also called “17-year locusts,” are notorious for disappearing for several years (in this case, 17) and reappearing “at force” in intervals, according to National Geographic.

The 17-year brood, Brood VI, is estimated to hatch this month in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, according to the Gardener’s Network.

This brood probably won’t be back until 2034, but Brood X is estimated to hatch in 2021 (though they may emerge as early as this year in some parts of the United States, according to USA Today).

In 2016, some areas saw densities of 1.5 million periodical cicadas per acre, the Washington Post reported.

“They’ll be out as one of the natural wonders of nature. Watch them, enjoy them and they’ll be gone in about a month,” John Cooley from the University of Connecticut ecology and evolutionary biology department said.

After the periodical cicadas have tapered off, Cooley said, the summer cicadas will be on their way.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-n...ast_/516712839
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Springtime in New England:

Yeah my pond frogs start first evening of the spring that hits 60 degrees .
    Do something Danke

I had ants once and they tasted like pepper. Not a fan of bug grub.

Yeah my pond frogs start first evening of the spring that hits 60 degrees .
    Yeah, the frogs are getting cranked up around here. We have lots of 'em, too. I even had one living in a potted plant in my garage for awhile. I think that was a toad.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I had ants once and they tasted like pepper. Not a fan of bug grub.

Yeah, the frogs are getting cranked up around here. We have lots of 'em, too. I even had one living in a potted plant in my garage for awhile. I think that was a toad.
    I assume catfish tastes like chicken?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    No, it tastes like mud.

I think that was a toad.

No , tastes like catfish . Not as good as BBQ bird .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No, it tastes like mud.
    They do indeed taste like mud. I like 'em. Probably because I ate them when I was a kid and got acclimated to the flavor young. Plus, lots of ketchup and tartar sauce helps.

They do indeed taste like mud. I like 'em. Probably because I ate them when I was a kid and got acclimated to the flavor young. Plus, lots of ketchup and tartar sauce helps.
    When I was a kid I spent a summer at the grandparents who catfished for a living. Up at 3am in at 6pm. Bait, catch, clean, repeat. Catfish for dinner 5 nights a week. Nope. Never again.

We had cicadas (we call 'em locusts down here in the Great State of Texas) every Summer when I was a kid. Roaming the neighborhood with a Daisy BB gun popping locusts out of trees was a favorite summer pastime - right up there with riding bikes to the neighborhood public pool.

Also had tickle bees (no sting) you could catch in your hand, and cool little clouds of lightening bugs that would come out at dusk.

Hardly see any of those anymore. Where did they go?
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast