Thread: Romney Backs Minimum Wage Hike

Romney Backs Minimum Wage Hike

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said Friday that Republicans should drop their opposition to a minimum wage hike, joining two fellow former GOP presidential contenders in breaking with his party on the issue.

“I think we oughta raise it,” Romney said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. “Because, frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay and I think communicating that is important to us.”

Romney , who reiterated that he’s not interested in another bid in 2016, was the third high-profile Republican in the past two weeks to say that resistance to a minimum wage increase is hurting the party’s brand. All three men are Republicans previously elected in states – Massachusetts, Minnesota and Pennsylvania – with heavy Democratic populations.

Former Minnesota governor and 2012 presidential contender Tim Pawlenty, now the CEO of the Financial Services Roundtable, said last month that the GOP should back a “reasonable” increase in the wage.

“For all the Republicans who come on and talk about, ‘we’re for the blue-collar worker, we’re for the working person,’ there are some basic things that we should be for,” he said. “One of them is reasonable increases from time to time in the minimum wage.” (He later clarified that he does not support the version of such legislation being pushed by the White House and Senate Democrats because it goes “too far and too fast.”)

And earlier this week, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum – a past and perhaps future presidential hopeful – said the GOP stance on the issue “makes no sense.”

“Let’s not make this argument that we’re for the blue-collar guy but we’re against any minimum wage increase ever,” he said on MSNBC’s The Daily Rundown.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/poli...e-hike-n101221

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The new political trend memo for all douchebags: "We need to raise the minimum wage!!!!!!" Such a lowest common denominator argument.. Nobody talking about this seems to even understand at least a little about the actual economics behind such a move.. Enough to make one's head explode.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

They just don't get it, all other arguments aside, unless you work for a company where all hourly wages are tied to minimum wage, the only people getting a raise are those currently making minimum wage. Blue collar workers are not McDonalds employees...maybe laborers but that's about it and most of them are illegal. Not that that matters apparently.

If only politicians cared about highly skilled laborers/entrepreneurs as much as they do with the bottom of the barrel in the workforce.

Ronmey: ''do something, even if its wrong''...

he's a lost cause, but i'm sure the RNC will prop him up.

Because, frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay and I think communicating that is important to us.”
    Romney is trying to confuse the issue. It is very clear that increasing the min. wage isn't at all anything about more jobs! Romney is lying so strongly, I'm surprised his old bones can take it.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Yeah, why should he care?! It won't hurt him any.

It will only hurt those who they pretend to help.

Anyone else thinking this is all about setting up Rand? Trying to paint him as too extreme? "Hey, look at all the Republicans that want to give unskilled people more money... Rand is just a meany."
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

He also named like 8 people he thinks can win the nomination in 2016.

None of them was named Rand Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    He also named like 8 people he thinks can win the nomination in 2016.

None of them was named Rand Paul.
    UNELECTABLE!!!
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Let's start fighting inflation if you want to help the little guy. But no one shall ever breach that topic.