Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Establishment's next target: Justin Amash

Establishment's next target: Justin Amash

The establishment scored huge victories in primary races Tuesday. Their next potential target: Rep. Justin Amash.

Business groups, executives in Michigan and even some of his fellow home state Republicans are abandoning the hard-line tea party conservative, famous in Washington for voting “no” on bills as wide ranging as the debt ceiling to defense funding.

Members of the Meijers family, owners of the massive Midwest supermarket chain, are all in behind Brian Ellis, Amash’s Republican primary challenger. As are the political arms of Home Depot, Dow Chemical and the International Franchise Association.

The primary race is in the beginning stages of what could be an epic throwdown in August between the business community, usually reluctant to play in a Republican primary, and big conservative outsiders, including the Koch brothers and the Club for Growth, who are dumping money into Amash’s campaign.

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said Amash isn’t a “serious member of Congress,” and added “this is someone here playing games, and trying to be on the opposite side of Republicans.” Nunes gave his opponent $5,000.

Nunes said his dealings with Amash on a water bill critical to California turned him off.

“He’s been leading the charge and not telling the truth about [NSA surveillance policies],” Nunes said in an interview. “He’s been fanning the flames, and it gets to the point where my assessment is this is a guy willing to work with San Francisco Democrats to protect bait fish, and at the same time he’s Al Qaeda’s best friend in the Congress.”

More:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...er-106476.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Tillis' win is an indication of anything, Amash needs backing. Granted, Rove isn't backing Ellis yet, but I don't know the mood on the ground in Michigan.

One of them mentioned their frustration towards the hostility at his office. I can vouch for that and that's something I've heard from others too. The people at Massie's office are far more considerate, engaging and interested than at Amash's.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    One of them mentioned their frustration towards the hostility at his office. I can vouch for that and that's something I've heard from others too. The people at Massie's office are far more considerate, engaging and interested than at Amash's.
    Oh you mean like this guy?

“Once you get to know [Amash], and I know that district from being around Michigan for long enough, he’s completely out of line with these people,” said Rep. Mike Rogers, a senior Michigan Republican in an interview.
    Leave it to you to defend filth like Mike Rogers though. He is Team Red. Notice how the people saying this Amash are also the people who support his opponent. And here is compromise to regurgitate his crap.
    Last edited by twomp; 05-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Why would they be hostile? That makes no sense. Even the RINOs we hate, if you call their office, their staff is courteous. If this is true, then Amash needs to fix this. We can't poison a good candidacy because of some arrogant staff members.

Justin will be purged '14 and Rand will be purged '16. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz will be allowed to stay because of their allegiance to Israel.

It would be nice to get a feel of what folks in Michigan think of Amash. Most of the comments on his Facebook page seem to come from people outside of Michigan. So he's got national support, but if those people aren't voting in Michigan, it's just fan comments. I do hope he's able to retain his seat, given how the NSA bill that almost passed the House gave him some major name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    It would be nice to get a feel of what folks in Michigan think of Amash. Most of the comments on his Facebook page seem to come from people outside of Michigan. So he's got national support, but if those people aren't voting in Michigan, it's just fan comments. I do hope he's able to retain his seat, given how the NSA bill that almost passed the House gave him some major name recognition.
    The only poll conducted so far was in February and has him up by 40+ points. So far these "mysterious" people who claim he is rude to them are also the people who seem to be against him. Shocking I know.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Amash will steamroll Ellis. He is popular amongst Michigan conservatives, and they see Ellis' primary challenge as a disgrace. I think Bentivolio will be successful in warding off his challenger as well.

Also, we need to get the word out to the greater liberty community about Tom McMillin's run in the 8th district. He's got a fighting chance, and it would be like getting another Amash in the House.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Justin will be purged '14 and Rand will be purged '16. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz will be allowed to stay because of their allegiance to Israel.
    Walter Jones survived earlier this week. They were never able to purge Ron Paul.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Oh you mean like this guy?

Leave it to you to defend filth like Mike Rogers though. He is Team Red. Notice how the people saying this Amash are also the people who support his opponent. And here is compromise to regurgitate his crap.
    PM, no need to be rude. Actually, I meant this guy:
    Michigan Chamber of Commerce President Richard Studley said that many business leaders in the Wolverine State are frustrated by Amash not only because of his voting pattern but also because many have found his office to “not be very friendly or helpful even on routine matters.”
    Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    Why would they be hostile? That makes no sense. Even the RINOs we hate, if you call their office, their staff is courteous. If this is true, then Amash needs to fix this. We can't poison a good candidacy because of some arrogant staff members.
    The problem is really at his DC office. The Grand Rapids guys are usually alright.
    Last edited by compromise; 05-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.

GOP Rep. Calls Justin Amash ‘Al Qaeda’s Best Friend in Congress’

GOP Rep. Calls Justin Amash ‘Al Qaeda’s Best Friend in Congress’

by Evan McMurry | 11:45 am, May 8th, 2014

Representative Justin Amash’s (R-MI) unorthodox votes are beginning to cost him: the GOP establishment, emboldened by recent primary wins like Thom Tillis’ in North Carolina, has targeted Amash with a primary challenger, and fellow Michigan Republicans are not rushing to his side. But it was his colleague Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) who got the money quote in Thursday morning’s POLITICO piece on Amash’s reelection fight.

“He’s been leading the charge and not telling the truth about [NSA surveillance policies],” Nunes said. “He’s been fanning the flames, and it gets to the point where my assessment is this is a guy willing to work with San Francisco Democrats to protect bait fish, and at the same time he’s Al Qaeda’s best friend in the Congress.”

Amash was not amused. “I vote less often with Nancy Pelosi, the real San Francisco Democrat, than any member of Congress,” he told POLITICO. “I opposed Nunes’ water bill on constitutional grounds, and his comments are unbecoming of a representative.”

Retiring House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-MI) wasn’t much nicer about Amash’s voting record. “Once you get to know [Amash], and I know that district from being around Michigan for long enough, he’s completely out of line with these people,” he said. “He votes more with the Democrats than with the Republicans, and that’s not out of principle, that’s out of him branding himself as something different.” Rogers even donated $5,000 to Amash’s primary opponent.
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-r...d-in-congress/

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Walter Jones survived earlier this week. They were never able to purge Ron Paul.
    Hopefully they will waste a whole lot of money on Ellis and still lose by a landslide.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I posted a comment on my disappointment with Home Depot supporting a primary opponent on the Home Depot facebook page. I will be taking business and giving advice to go elsewhere. /asthoughtheycare
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    I posted a comment on my disappointment with Home Depot supporting a primary opponent on the Home Depot facebook page. I will be taking business and giving advice to go elsewhere. /asthoughtheycare
    go to Lowe's, that's where Justin shops for home improvement.

Doesn't anyone know why Justin voted to protect bait fish in California? I'm a big fan of Justin, but that seems like a really bad vote to me, and criticism of that vote is probably legitimate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Doesn't anyone know why Justin voted to protect bait fish in California? I'm a big fan of Justin, but that seems like a really bad vote to me, and criticism of that vote is probably legitimate.
    Amash opposed Nunes’ legislation because “the Constitution doesn’t grant the federal government power to pre-empt state water laws,” he said on Facebook, where he posts all of his votes.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz31AEZ4dgF

PM, no need to be rude. Actually, I meant this guy:

The problem is really at his DC office. The Grand Rapids guys are usually alright.
    Got your PM and understood! Thanks for clarifying!

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Nunes is referring to his California water bill which did not exclusively deal with bait fish.

I voted no on ‪#‎HR3964‬, Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley Emergency Water Delivery Act. The bill is nearly identical to ‪#‎HR1837‬ from the 112th Congress, which I also opposed.

As before, the bill pre-empts (overrides) the State of California's environmental regulations as they apply to the federal government's Central Valley Project (CVP) and the state government's State Water Project. It also changes a federal law passed in the 1990s that requires a certain amount of water flowing through the CVP to be used to preserve wildlife.

I support the legislation's reduction of federal restrictions that have impeded California's ability to address its own water supply problems; however, the Constitution doesn't grant the federal government power to pre-empt state water laws.

The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution reads: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." I may not support California's water laws, but it is not for me or for any of my colleagues in Congress to dictate to California.

Here's my previous vote explanation: http://facebook.com/repjustinamash/p...83549248425256.

It passed 229-191.
    https://www.facebook.com/repjustinam...69230206449722

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    go to Lowe's, that's where Justin shops for home improvement.

I'm happy to learn about this. I do all of my home improvement shopping at Lowe's! I will continue to do so.

It would be nice to get a feel of what folks in Michigan think of Amash.
    The State House seat I'm running for is in Justin's district, and when I go door-to-door, people absolutely hate Ellis. All his advertising backfires because Republicans assume that anyone attacking Justin must be absolute slime (the voters use much stronger terms to describe Ellis). I would be shocked if Ellis gets over 30% - and that's not just me being bullish. People can not stand him and he's done nothing to define himself in a positive way.

EDIT: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep supporting Justin financially. Obviously the establishment money types are going to come out strong for Ellis and we all need to step up.
    Last edited by xlrbnc; 05-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    It is easier to polish a shield than to hone a weapon.

(damn, I'm gonna have to remember that one!)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Amash opposed Nunes’ legislation because “the Constitution doesn’t grant the federal government power to pre-empt state water laws,” he said on Facebook, where he posts all of his votes.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz31AEZ4dgF
    Ok, that's fair enough.

Bill Krsytal and the NEOCONS at the "Weekly Propaganda Standard"

The Congressman Who Says ‘No’ | The Weekly Standard
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All you need to know: NEOCON ZIONIST puppet Here's Congressman Devin Nunes private travels; AEI, Israel, Woodrow Wilson Institute

Rep. Devin Nunes (R - CA) - Trips Taken by Congressional Office

Devin Nunes, U.S. Representative for California's 22nd Congressional District - GovTrack.us
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 05-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

We should primary Nunes in 16 as retaliation. He has a very GOP district that he could be portrayed as being too moderate/establishment.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    All you need to know: NEOCON ZIONIST puppet Here's Congressman Devin Nunes private travels; AEI, Israel, Woodrow Wilson Institute

Rep. Devin Nunes (R - CA) - Trips Taken by Congressional Office

Devin Nunes, U.S. Representative for California's 22nd Congressional District - GovTrack.us
    Added to list of neoconservatives:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...tives-The-List
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...on-Immigration

This idiot spent about a minute explaining why you shouldn't say the word "Latino"; and that's why he's down with the Hispanics. His district is R+10 so he decides he wants to turn it into R+5 by pushing amnesty.

http://paxalles.blogs.com/paxalles/2...ngraham-1.html
    Last edited by RandallFan; 05-09-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Every candidate I hear/read that the GOP/RNC cutoff funds or refuse to help true conservative republicans, proves that special interest money is dictating the party and basically, all of Government.

Getting the Ken Cooch treatment... we know exactly how these political operatives work.

Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    Amash will steamroll Ellis. He is popular amongst Michigan conservatives, and they see Ellis' primary challenge as a disgrace. I think Bentivolio will be successful in warding off his challenger as well.

Also, we need to get the word out to the greater liberty community about Tom McMillin's run in the 8th district. He's got a fighting chance, and it would be like getting another Amash in the House.
    '

Excuse me if I don't know, but what good has Bentivolio done? I don't follow him closely but the things I have seen show he has been a major disappointment to the liberty movement.
    "Paper money has the effect to ruin commerce,oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice"

~GEORGE WASHINGTON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast