Thread: Property Rights and Property Taxes—and Countries That Don’t Have Them

Property Rights and Property Taxes—and Countries That Don’t Have Them

"Do you really own something that you are forced to perpetually make payments on and which can be seized from you if you don’t pay?

I would say that you don’t.

You would possess such an item, but you wouldn’t own it—an important distinction"

http://www.internationalman.com/arti...dont-have-them
    "Paper money has the effect to ruin commerce,oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice"

~GEORGE WASHINGTON

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When my dad explained home ownership to me; I was about 12, once he got to the part to where you still had to pay fees AFTER the loan was satisfied I lost ALL interest in buying a house.

It was nothing but a good thing though, about 5 of my friends lost their houses since 2008, glad I dodged that bullet.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    When my dad explained home ownership to me; I was about 12, once he got to the part to where you still had to pay fees AFTER the loan was satisfied I lost ALL interest in buying a house.

It was nothing but a good thing though, about 5 of my friends lost their houses since 2008, glad I dodged that bullet.
    Exactly.

My grandmother always says: Just stop paying your taxes and the real owner will show up.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly.

My grandmother always says: Just stop paying your taxes and the real owner will show up.
    That is a great quote! adding it to my bank of cool quotes! heh
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Of all those countries, which ones have higher standard of living than here?

Hong Kong maybe, but barely.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

Monaco and Liechtenstein too
    "Paper money has the effect to ruin commerce,oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice"

~GEORGE WASHINGTON

Oh and Hong Kong DEFINITELY has a higher standard of living than the US.

~GEORGE WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by nbruno322 View Post
    totally!
    http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/04_c...g/law_pen.html

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow.

Chinese weed must be the $#@!. :-)
    “The people of the various provinces are strictly forbidden to have in their possession any swords, bows, spears, firearms, or other type of arms. The possession of these elements makes difficult the collection of taxes and dues and tends to permit uprising, therefore, the heads of the provinces, official agents, and deputies are ordered to collect all weapons mentioned above and turn them over to the government.”

Toyotomi Hideyshi, Shogun, August 29, 1558

I disagree. Hong Kong has a much higher cost of living than the US for a comparable standard of living.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I disagree. Hong Kong has a much higher cost of living than the US for a comparable standard of living.
    Higher population density, lower car ownership, higher scrutiny for drunk driving. Yeah, that's totally a higher standard of living.

Higher population density, lower car ownership, higher scrutiny for drunk driving. Yeah, that's totally a higher standard of living.
    Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries. I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status. Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations. Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.

Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries.
    Indeed.

I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status.
    It's not for me, having lived in different Asian countries. But yes, it's typical for Americans to not understand it.

Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations.
    Indeed

Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.
    So you conveniently ignore the part where there's more government. What about people who enjoy more government?

What are you getting at? If we want a high standard of living, we have to pay property taxes?

I'd like to have the dough to live in Monaco!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    What are you getting at? If we want a high standard of living, we have to pay property taxes?

I'd like to have the dough to live in Monaco!
    High standard of living is typically more expensive, with exceptions.

What I am getting at is, if you think you're willing to avoid property tax that you'll move to a country that doesn't have it, go for it.

Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries. I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status. Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations. Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.
    http://www.viralsoma.com/over-100000...cityrdquo.html

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I don't see how anyone could pay property taxes in Hong Kong, anyway.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

"Do you really own something that you are forced to perpetually make payments on and which can be seized from you if you don’t pay?
    The article doesn't mention that there are places in New Hampshire and Alaska without property taxes. Or personal income taxes. Or general sales taxes...
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.