Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Study: Coconut Oil Helps Remove Amyloid Plaques from Brains of Alzheimer’s Patients

Thumbs up New Study: Coconut Oil Helps Remove Amyloid Plaques from Brains of Alzheimer’s Patients

New Study: Coconut Oil Helps Remove Amyloid Plaques from Brains of Alzheimer’s Patients

by Christina Sarich
    May 3rd, 2014

A new study in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease supports existing evidence that coconut oil may help to alleviate the neurodegenerative effects of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s. The study is tiled: Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amyloid-β on Cortical Neurons In Vitro. It helps shine light on a way to use coconut oil to reduce amyloid plaques, also known as (Aβ) peptides in the brain.

One theory concerning Alzheimer’s is that amyloid plaques build up in the brain in much the same way that plaques can build up in our arteries, causing the neural pathways to be slowed and damaged. Entire sections of the brain can start to shut down if these plaques are allowed to grow without intervention.

In a clinical trial involving the medium chain triglycerides of coconut oil, it was found that users experienced a profound difference after only 45-90 day’s use. It turns out that coconut oil “rescued” Aβ-treated neurons from mitochondrial damage caused by their toxicity. Coconut oil also seemed to change the circulation of mitochondria, as well as their size.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For naysayers just try coconut oil for a day or two and you will see a huge difference My mother had beginning stages of dementia and since she is eating coconut oil it has has stopped completely.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

As a note though the study looked at nerves in lab pietrie dishes- they did not examine if it works on humans.

From the same publication, http://www.j-alz.com/vol39-2 eating a Mediterranean style diet was found to lower the rates of dimentia. The Mediterranian Diet focus more on mono-saturated fats like olive oil. Coconut oil is more saturated than olive oil.

Abstract: Higher adherence to a Mediterranean-type diet was associated with decreased cognitive decline, although the Mediterranean diet (MeDi) combines several foods, micronutrients, and macronutrients already separately proposed as potential protective factors against dementia and predementia syndromes. The findings from prospective studies and very recent systematic reviews and meta-analyses suggested that adherence to the MeDi fulfilling the whole-diet approach may affect not only the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, but also of predementia syndromes and their progression to overt dementia. However, some concerns exist regarding how these instruments have been developed for measuring adherence to the MeDi, suggesting a better qualitative and quantitative selection of the individual dietary components and/or food groups to improve their reliability.
    Again same link- aerobic exercise helps too. Seems that most things which help prevent dimentia are those which benefit circulation.
    Acute Aerobic Exercise Increases Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor Levels in Elderly with Alzheimer’s Disease

Abstract: Studies indicate the involvement of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Decreased BDNF levels may constitute a lack of trophic support and contribute to cognitive impairment in AD. The benefits of acute and chronic physical exercise on BDNF levels are well-documented in humans, however, exercise effects on BDNF levels have not been analyzed in older adults with AD. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of acute aerobic exercise on BDNF levels in older adults with AD and to verify associations among BDNF levels, aerobic fitness, and level of physical activity. Using a controlled design, twenty-one patients with AD (76.3 ± 6.2 years) and eighteen health older adults (74.6 ± 4.7 years) completed an acute aerobic exercise. The outcomes included measures of BDNF plasma levels, aerobic fitness (treadmill grade, time to exhaustion, VO2, and maximal lactate) and level of physical activity (Baecke Questionnaire Modified for the Elderly). The independent t-test shows differences between groups with respect to the BDNF plasma levels at baseline (p = 0.04; t = 4.53; df = 37). In two-way ANOVA, a significant effect of time was found (p = 0.001; F = 13.63; df = 37), the aerobic exercise significantly increased BDNF plasma levels in AD patients and healthy controls. A significant correlation (p=0.04; r = 0.33) was found between BDNF levels and the level of physical activity. The results of our study suggest that aerobic exercise increases BDNF plasma levels in patients with AD and healthy controls. In addition to that, BDNF levels had association with level of physical activity.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-03-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    For naysayers just try coconut oil for a day or two and you will see a huge difference My mother had beginning stages of dementia and since she is eating coconut oil it has has stopped completely.
    Nay or yay, two days is way too short to expect lasting results either way.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Ya I think they meant that they were staying on the treatment, but that it started clearing their head up right away.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I think they meant that they were staying on the treatment, but that it started clearing their head up right away.
    You got that from "just try coconut oil for a day or two."
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I am saying that you will see immediate results..

My mother started calling me every other day on average delusional and paranoid with rambling and memory loss. It has been over a year now and she has not had any more occurances and no other meds..

I was told about this from a medical doctor and in our case it has worked wonders so far. I use the oil to boost my memory.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

I put a tablespoon in my coffee every morning. Yum.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Coconut oil allows the cells to use more thyroid hormone. The effect occurs as soon as its fatty acids enter the bloodstream, which can be a few hours after eating.

Many people when they try coconut oil for the first time note an increase in pulse and temperature. I myself noticed this effect, the first few days of using it, accompanied by a feeling of enhanced well being. After prolonged use, many experience weight loss.

The thyroid promoting effects of coconut oil also occur in the brain, and it helps the brain while the coconut oil's fatty acids are in the bloodstream, which is just a few hours after consumption.
    Last edited by jj-; 05-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Coconut oil is beneficial not only because the effect it has itself. It also displaces other awful substances, as when people add coconut to their diets they typically reduce the toxic vegetable oils high in polyunsaturated fats.

Okay. You're all totally right. Which is why the study required 45+ days of use.

I should know better than to even talk.

Okay. You're all totally right. Which is why the study required 45+ days of use.
    I thought the two days timeframe was mentioned by a poster. Whether the study or the poster mentioned it is irrelevant, coconut oil has positive effects in the cells hours after consumption.
    Last edited by jj-; 05-04-2014 at 06:48 PM.

An explanation of the benefits of coconut oil by a PhD in biology, posted at Mercola: Link

It's good for getting yer bronze on in the summertime. Don't know about removing Amyloid plaques though. Seems like people are reporting positive effects. And, of course, we hear a great deal regarding other uses for it. I think I've read a dozen or so threads on coconut oil around here.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.

We all know you don't know how to do that.

I'm thinking she can probably talk all she wants with that new avatar. Who is that anyhow?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can coconut oil ease Alzheimer's? Families who've given it to loved ones swear by it

By Jerome Burne

One morning last month, Vrajlal Parmar got up, washed and dressed himself, and at 10am boarded the council minibus to a nearby leisure centre.

In the evening, the 67-year-old former production line worker from London took the bus home.

Nothing remarkable there — except that nearly a year earlier Mr Parmar had been diagnosed as being in the late stages of Alzheimer’s.

He’d been given the standard pencil and paper test — called the Mini Mental State Examination — that doctors use to diagnose Alzheimer’s and measure how it’s progressing.

A healthy person would score 30.

The letter Mr Parmar’s family got back from the Cognitive Disorders Clinic at University College London stated that he was ‘too severely affected to score anything at all’. Any drug treatment would be ineffective.

‘Dad was so far gone he couldn’t do anything for himself,’ says his son Kal Parmar, a filmmaker who together with Vrajlal’s wife, Taramati, looks after him at their home in London.

‘He couldn’t wash himself, dress or go to the toilet without help. He had to be watched all the time — the idea of him catching a bus, even a special bus to a dementia centre, was out of the question.

'Often at night he would become hyperactive. We were regularly woken up because Dad was pulling pots and pans off shelves in the kitchen or emptying the cupboards.’

What has made the difference, according to Kal, is a teaspoon of coconut oil twice a day mixed with his food, which Mr Parmar has been taking since July.

The idea that a common vegetable oil — made from coconut meat and which you can buy in supermarkets — could make a difference seems ludicrous, yet in the U.S. there have been hundreds of similar anecdotes of dramatic improvements.

Kal Parmar first heard about coconut oil via a video on YouTube — it was about a doctor in Florida whose husband’s Alzheimer’s had improved amazingly with coconut oil.

Kal says he would probably have dismissed this as one more bit of internet hype if there hadn’t been a favourable comment about the oil from Kieran Clarke, professor of physiological biochemistry at Oxford University and head of the Cardiac Metabolism Research Group.

‘That made me think there must be something in it,’ he says. ‘So I called her up.’

Continued...

Try it and see, even just to see if it improves your memory. After that you can post your results. Then you may have more credibility in this subject.
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

I use nothing but coconut oil for cooking. I love the stuff.

Speaking of coconut, somebody turned me on to this stuff on Sunday:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organi...+coconut+cream

It's awesome!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Actually I love coconut oil, thanks. I just realize that if someone came on and said "I just gave my grandmother some coconut oil yesterday and wtf her Alzheimer's isn't cured!" it would be ridiculous, because things do take time to work. If it were as instant as you claimed, the study would have been much shorter, rather than over a month of observations. Even the testimonials talk about beginning to see results after a week, not hours. Frankly, talking up coconut oil as if you're going to see results within an hour or two is one of the easiest ways to ensure people never bother sticking to its use. The same thing happens with a variety of interesting oils, herbs, and spices; people try it once, aren't instantly cured, and stop using it. It's a shame.

A person in a pretty bad shape would take a while to recover. But someone who is just starting to show signs of dementia -they're ok one day, not ok the next-, could avoid having a bad day the first day taking coconut oil, and not have symptoms from that point.

I got my latest delivery of coconut products and in the box was a pamphlet for some coconut memory product.
    http://www.memorypharmacy.com/FAQs.asp
    v 1) What is B4 NeuroRestore® ?

B4 NeuroRestore® is a medically and scientifically designed nutritional brain health dietary supplement designed to help your own body heal and restore impaired brain cells. It is important to maintain proper nutrition in order to maximize recovery and also to provide the best fuel for your brain cells for optimal performance.

The high potency, bio-availability, variety and quality of nutrients contained in B4 NeuroRestore® are safe, effective, unobtainable by diet alone, and most of all can inexpensively prevent worsening of symptoms because of a poor diet. B4 NeuroRestore® is not a "magic bullet" of nutrients or "miracle" product or "designer drug" being mass marketed. It is the best nutritional product available to promote the maximum recovery possible via dietary supplement.
    I'm not into shakes and whatnot; but thought it might be of interest/related to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I got my latest delivery of coconut products and in the box was a pamphlet for some coconut memory product.
    What brand do you get?

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    What brand do you get?
    http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....oconut-oil.php

In my latest order I picked up their coconut vinegar for the first time. I had never had it before but I've found to be a delightful addition on salads.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....oconut-oil.php

In my latest order I picked up their coconut vinegar for the first time. I had never had it before but I've found to be a delightful addition on salads.
    Thanks, I'm a satisfied customer of Tropical Traditions, but it's good to know another brand to compare. The one I get is "Pure Coconut Oil", which is expeller pressed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Thanks, I'm a satisfied customer of Tropical Traditions, but it's good to know another brand to compare. The one I get is "Pure Coconut Oil", which is expeller pressed as well.
    I get that one because its completely free of any coconut scent or taste.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I've been cooking my eggs in it, not sure if cooking with it is destroying all the "good" of it, but I figured it would be better to use it, than not.

I've got another supplement coming in the mail on Tuesday, that I hope will help with my blood pressure. According to multiple customer reviews, it apparently works wonders on blood pressure.

Right, some people think if it's "virgin" is better, but you benefit from the good fats, and when you're going to cook something with it, you don't want it to smell like coconuts. And you can't even cook at high temperature with virgin or extra virgin, as it has a low smoke point.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdoyle View Post
    I've got another supplement coming in the mail on Tuesday, that I hope will help with my blood pressure. According to multiple customer reviews, it apparently works wonders on blood pressure.
    Which one is it, out of curiosity? Consuming a lot of orange juice might lower blood pressure, as it has a good amount of potassium and many good properties. Sometimes it's hard though to find a good orange juice, without bad additives that make it not enjoyable over time.

Actually I love coconut oil, thanks. I just realize that if someone came on and said "I just gave my grandmother some coconut oil yesterday and wtf her Alzheimer's isn't cured!" it would be ridiculous, because things do take time to work. If it were as instant as you claimed, the study would have been much shorter, rather than over a month of observations. Even the testimonials talk about beginning to see results after a week, not hours. Frankly, talking up coconut oil as if you're going to see results within an hour or two is one of the easiest ways to ensure people never bother sticking to its use. The same thing happens with a variety of interesting oils, herbs, and spices; people try it once, aren't instantly cured, and stop using it. It's a shame.
    I speak from first hand experience. You can believe what ever you want but to insinuate I am lying is low. Do you have any first hand experience with the situation I have described? I only spoke of occasional dementia not full on alzheimers
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast