Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teen guns down two ALASKA STATE TROOPERS as they tried to arrest his dad.

Teen guns down two ALASKA STATE TROOPERS as they tried to arrest his dad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27264463

ties.
    A teenager gunned down two state troopers Thursday in a tiny, remote Alaskan town as the officers attempted to arrest the man’s father, authorities said.
    Nathaniel Lee Kangas, 19, fatally shot Sgt. Patrick (Scott) Johnson and Trooper Gabriel (Gabe) Rich with a semiautomatic rifle after the troopers flew in to Tanana, a town of some 250 people, to follow up on a report that a relative of Kangas had wielded a shotgun Wednesday in a dispute with a town safety officer.
    The two troopers arrived Thursday from Fairbanks, about 130 miles west of Tanana, and tried to arrest Arvin Morse Kangas, 58.
    Trooper Gabriel (Gabe) Rich, pictured, was shot dead by Nathanial Kangas, 19, Thursday afternoon.
    ALASKA.GOV
    Trooper Gabriel (Gabe) Rich, pictured, was shot dead by Nathanial Kangas, 19, Thursday afternoon.
    Enlarge
    Nathaniel Kangas shot Alaska State Trooper Sgt. Patrick (Scott) Johnson dead on Thursday.
    ALASKA.GOV
    Nathaniel Kangas shot Alaska State Trooper Sgt. Patrick (Scott) Johnson dead on Thursday.
    Enlarge
    "Troopers made contact with Arvin Kangas near the front door of his residence," Alaska State Trooper Director Col. James Cockrell said in a statement. "While attempting to place Kangas under arrest a struggle ensued, this resulted in all three entering into the Kangas' residence. While inside the residence, both troopers were shot and killed by Nathanial Kangas."
    Nathanial Kangas was apprehended immediately and tentatively charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of third-degree assault.
    Tanana, Alaska, is home to no more than 250 people, and is accessible only by air. Two state troopers who flew in to arrest a man were shot Thursday by 19-year-old Nathaniel Lee Kangas.
    ERIC ENGMAN/AP
    Tanana, Alaska, is home to no more than 250 people, and is accessible only by air. Two state troopers who flew in to arrest a man were shot Thursday by 19-year-old Nathaniel Lee Kangas.
    He’s scheduled to be arraigned Saturday in Fairbanks.
    Arvin Kangas fled the murder scene. He was arrested hours later and charged on a warrant with fourth-degree assault and driving with a revoked license.
    Sgt. Scott Johnson was among the officers featured on TV show 'Alaska State Troopers.'
    NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL
    Sgt. Scott Johnson was among the officers featured on TV show 'Alaska State Troopers.'
    Enlarge
    Trooper Gabe Rich went along for the call Thursday and was also gunned down.
    NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL
    Trooper Gabe Rich went along for the call Thursday and was also gunned down.
    Enlarge
    "Currently department members are dealing with shock and disbelief trying to make sense of Sergeant Johnson and Trooper Rich's deaths," Cockrell said. "We are currently providing support for the involved families and all our personnel in Fairbanks. This is certainly a difficult time for DPS members, especially falling on the heels of three line-of-duty deaths we experienced in 2013."
    The two lawmen had appeared on “Alaska State Troopers,” a show on the National Geographic channel that followed the law enforcement officers around the massive, remote state.
    Tanana is featured on a Discovery Channel show, “Yukon Men.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz30bV9TMp5
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nathanial Kangas was apprehended immediately and tentatively charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of third-degree assault.
    I wonder who else was on the scene to arrest him? The local town safety officer?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

The time will come when a sane person must weigh whether to shoot first and beg forgiveness or submit to authority and beg leniency...(either way involves begging)

I shed no tears for dead cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    I wonder who else was on the scene to arrest him? The local town safety officer?
    That was exactly what I was wondering. I re-read the story three times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

The two troopers were called in to handle things because the local "safety officer" couldn't handle one dude waving a shotgun. So exactly who was there to "immediately apprehend" the kid? And it sounds like the kid was a pretty damn good shot.

Another link:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/2-men-...opers/25773622

AST: Fallen Troopers Were Fatally Shot in Tanana Struggle

Nathaniel Lee Kangas, 19, charged with murder, Arvin Morse Kangas, 58, arrested on outstanding warrant

At a press conference held by Alaska Department of Public Safety Commissioner Gary Folger and AST Director Col. James Cockrell, troopers released their first detailed account of the Thursday deaths of Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and Trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich.

An investigation is still under way in the Interior community a hundred-plus miles west of Fairbanks, Nathanial Lee Kangas, 19, was arrested for allegedly shooting Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and Trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich.
    Arvin Morse Kangas, 58, was arrested for an outstanding warrant and charged with fourth-degree assault and driving with a revoked license. The charges stem from an April 30 incident involving a Tanana village public safety officer.
    According to a written statement from Cockrell distributed at the press conference, Tanana VPSO Mark Haglin had a confrontation with Arvin Kangas Wednesday night which involved Kangas "pointing a shotgun at VPSO Haglin as he drove by his residence."
    Haglin called the Fairbanks AST office for backup, with Johnson and Rich arriving at about 2:45 p.m. Thursday.
    "Troopers made contact with Arvin Kangas near the front door of his residence," Cockrell wrote. "While attempting to place Kangas under arrest a struggle ensued, this resulted in all three entering into the Kangas' residence. While inside the residence both troopers were shot and killed by Nathanial Kangas."
    While Nathanial Kangas was taken into custody shortly afterward, Arvin Kangas fled to a local home and didn't surrender to troopers until about 10:25 p.m. Thursday. Both were taken to Fairbanks.
    Charges pending against Nathanial Kangas as of Friday afternoon include two counts of first-degree murder, as well as one count of third-degree assault for actions allegedly taken against Haglin. He is expected to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Fairbanks.
    Cockrell concludes the statement by calling for the public to "respect the wishes of the families," as the DPS community rallies around them and tries to cope with what he calls "a senseless act."

"Currently department members are dealing with shock and disbelief trying to make sense of Sergeant Johnson and Trooper Rich's deaths," Cockrell wrote. "We are currently providing support for the involved families and all our personnel in Fairbanks. This is certainly a difficult time for DPS members, especially falling on the hells of three line-of-duty deaths we experienced in 2013."
    Last year, Trooper Tage Toll and pilot Mel Nading were killed along with snowmachiner Carl Ober in the March 30 crash of Helo-1 near Talkeetna. In addition, troopers say Manokotak VPSO Thomas Madole was fatally shot by Leroy B. Dick Jr. as Madole investigated reports that Dick was suicidal.
    While the beginning of a case against the suspects is still in its formative stages, outpourings of support for the fallen officer have already begun.
    A group of troopers and law enforcement officers plan a procession in Anchorage Friday at 12:45 a.m., starting at 3600 Old International Airport Drive, where the bodies of the deceased officers will arrive. The procession ends at 5455 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, the location of the State Medical Examiner's Office.
    There will also be a 24-hour vigil conducted by the Alaska State Troopers and other law enforcement officers.
    Anyone who wants to help the families of the fallen officers is asked to send donations to memorial funds established by the Alaska Concerns of Police Survivors:
    Sergeant Scott Johnson Memorial Fund: Account Number FTP

Trooper Gabe Rich Memorial Fund: Account Number FTP
    My comment after the article, which will no doubt be censored by the page admin:

The really senseless thing was the cops bothering the Kangas' in the first place. If the jackboots want to play slave-master to people, it is reasonable to expect that not everyone they meet is willing to play the slave. As government tyranny grows, people's intolerance for it will too.
    "Normon" replied:
    you are not a very smart man are you Tod? First off, you know NOTHING of Alaska with that comment. The villages have what are called VPSO's, unarmed public safety officers who are there to keep the peace. When one has a gun aimed at him, who is he to call? Or are they supposed to simply let that go? Those Troopers spend their lives helping folks in the villages, protecting them is only part of their mission. There is no justification for what happened. Your ignorance is shining brightly Tod. Two very good men died. Believe me when I tell you they truly cared about these communities and the people in them. Senseless.
    Last edited by Tod; 05-02-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Another link:
    The really senseless thing was the cops bothering the Kangas' in the first place. If the jackboots want to play slave-master to people, it is reasonable to expect that not everyone they meet is willing to play the slave. As government tyranny grows, people's intolerance for it will too.
    The story mentions the Nat Geo's "Alaska State Troopers" show. Anyone ever seen it? It's nauseating. The ASTs, usually in pairs, will fly hundreds of miles (at HOW MUCH taxpayer expense??) then hop on 4-wheelers and drive into some little town of a hundred or so people just to kick in a door and dump out someone's home brew. Oh, and arrest the poor bastard for "illegal possession of alcohol" or some other bizarre victimless crime.

The remainder of the segment usually ends with an interview with the officer, who gets to spout a bunch of drivel about "how good it makes me feel to know I'm helping people..."

Arrrghhh!!! It is truly sickening.

*** WHERE *** is the much-needed "barfing" emoticon??

Home owner's son Shoots intruders in home invasion.

Son is arrested for lawful defense.

Stands no chance in rigged courts of the Home invaders.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    The story mentions the Nat Geo's "Alaska State Troopers" show. Anyone ever seen it? It's nauseating. The ASTs, usually in pairs, will fly hundreds of miles (at HOW MUCH taxpayer expense??) then hop on 4-wheelers and drive into some little town of a hundred or so people just to kick in a door and dump out someone's home brew. Oh, and arrest the poor bastard for "illegal possession of alcohol" or some other bizarre victimless crime.

The remainder of the segment usually ends with an interview with the officer, who gets to spout a bunch of drivel about "how good it makes me feel to know I'm helping people..."

Thanks for the background.....makes me even more glad I added my comment after the article.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puke-smiley-emoticon.gif 
Views:	0 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	2414

Sounds to me like two kidnappers got shot.

I've seen it and they make crime where there was none.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puke-smiley-emoticon.gif 
Views:	0 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	2414
    Thanks! That very accurately depicts my feelings for the show... and the AST, from what I've seen of them.

Site doesn't like Chrome... I'd like to add a comment asking:
    Wait, I'm confused... were these guys more important than other people who get shot because they were cops, or because they were TV stars? Or maybe it's both? I'm not sure I can sleep at night knowing that there are people who don't recognize how that makes them inherently better than the rest of us.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

People call boxing the modern day gladiators, but that's not true. For the most part boxing is two willing atheletes showing their skill and walking away mostly unharmed.

Really these law enforcement Reality shows are the bread and circuses. The sheep get entertained watching innocent people unwillingly get brutalized. It's sickening.

The father seems really irresponsible. Now his sons life is for sure gone, he should have foreseen this. Not to mention 2 officers dead, the type of officers in Alaska are usually the ones who are small town oriented and I don't think the usual type of cop people oppose here.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    The father seems really irresponsible. Now his sons life is for sure gone, he should have foreseen this. Not to mention 2 officers dead, the type of officers in Alaska are usually the ones who are small town oriented and I don't think the usual type of cop people oppose here.
    Have you seen the Nat Geo stuff. Those cops are imported into the little towns via aircraft, do their dirty work and then fly away again.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Useless Trivia...

China's unarmed "public police" = Alaska's Safety officers
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

nice quote from Mark Twain.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

The father seems really irresponsible.
    How,,

The only "crime" is a suspended drivers license, (and that in a remote and sparsely populated wilderness area)

And an unproven allegation that he pointed a shotgun at (or the someone drove into the path of where he was pointing a shotgun)
    Or he was just holding a shotgun.. or it is a completely fabricated story by a petty official with a power trip.

He was assaulted at his door.. and his son defended him.

How does that make him irresponsible?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    How,,

The only "crime" is a suspended drivers license, (and that in a remote and sparsely populated wilderness area)

And an unproven allegation that he pointed a shotgun at (or the someone drove into the path of where he was pointing a shotgun)
    Or he was just holding a shotgun.. or it is a completely fabricated story by a petty official with a power trip.

He was assaulted at his door.. and his son defended him.

How does that make him irresponsible?
    Where did you come to the conclusion that this started over a suspended driver's license. I would like to see it in writing before I decide to recommend digging the bastards back up and shooting them again.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Where did you come to the conclusion that this started over a suspended driver's license. I would like to see it in writing before I decide to recommend digging the bastards back up and shooting them again.
    Arvin Morse Kangas, 58, was arrested for an outstanding warrant and charged with fourth-degree assault and driving with a revoked license. The charges stem from an April 30 incident involving a Tanana village public safety officer.

According to a written statement from Cockrell distributed at the press conference, Tanana VPSO Mark Haglin had a confrontation with Arvin Kangas Wednesday night which involved Kangas "pointing a shotgun at VPSO Haglin as he drove by his residence."
    I'm not choked up...
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I'm not choked up...
    Thank you.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I don't think I could watch that. That $#@! makes me so angry sometimes it makes me want to go crazy. That's why I stay away from it anymore.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

After hearing the description of cops flying hundreds of miles to kick in someone's door for a victimless crime, I tend to think it's even crazier than here in the mainland, not less crazy.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another link:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/2-men-...opers/25773622

My comment after the article, which will no doubt be censored by the page admin:

"Normon" replied:
    I don't facebook Tod or I would chime in.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    After hearing the description of cops flying hundreds of miles to kick in someone's door for a victimless crime, I tend to think it's even crazier than here in the mainland, not less crazy.
    And after hearing of the arrest,, he should have shot those outside as well,, and not just the internal trespassers.

And fed them all to the bears.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I read about this here.

http://www.adn.com/2014/05/02/345114...=Breaking_News

A couple of things stood out. One that me feel a little better. We get a lot of shows with law enforcement chasing people around in Alaska lately. I try not to pay them much mind. Then I read this out of this article...

I couldn't find it!

I'm pretty sure it said these officers usually respond to complaints from the public. After seeing the cop shows I was under the impression they were stalking everyone.

Anyway it sounds like a nice place and it sounds like it could have been resolved cooperating with their local public safety officer. This seems to small a town for this kind of thing to happen.

The tiny Interior Alaska village of Tanana, home to 238 people, is at the junction of the Yukon and Tanana rivers 130 air miles west of Fairbanks. It is accessible only by air and river transportation.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2014/05/02/345114...#storylink=cpy

There is no trooper post in Tanana. One village public safety officer is stationed there, according to Jody Potts, VPSO director for the Tanana Chiefs Conference.

And then this...

""It's a really peaceful, really quiet place," he said.

The last trooper death was in March 2013, when Trooper Tage Toll died in a helicopter crash during a search-and-rescue. The last trooper to die of gunfire was Hans-Peter Roelle, killed in pursuit of a suspect in 2001. To date, 16 troopers have been killed in the line of duty."

It's 16 too many but I was getting bad impression from the little I've seen of the Alaskan police shows.

I was there a few years back and you could still pull over on the highways to check out the scenery, to check out the wildlife, pick berries, or take pictures and stuff.

See the fall colors? A guide at Denali State Park explained that some trees that far up north are stunted down the the size of bushes. Timber line is at a pretty low elevation also. So as we drove north, at the time of year I was there, we stabbed right into fall and fall colors.

P.S. I was pulled over taking pictures of this rainbow when these ladies swerved to a stop in front of me. In a split second they were out of, and on top of, their car. For a moment I was sort of bummed out they were in my shot but I soon got over it.

I agree with the others in this thread. Successful self-defense is not "gunning down". Propaganda article is propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Here's a sample episode of Alaska State Troopers. I tried to find one featuring the jackboots of this thread, but no luck so far.

Watching this show, it is no surprise that these jackboots would get shot. This episode shows a trooper disdainfully saying, in effect, just after 3:30, "warrant, I don't need no stinking warrant and I will trespass if I want to."

Another article, from Fairbanks:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...7a43b2370.html

Father, son arrested in connection with deaths of 2 Alaska State Troopers

TANANA, Alaska — Alaska State Troopers have released the names of the father and son arrested in association with the killing of two troopers Thursday in Tanana.
    Nathaniel Lee Kangas, 19, is accused of killing Sgt. Patrick "Scott" Johnson and Trooper Gabriel "Gabe" Rich. Also arrested was Kangas' father, Arvin Morse Kangas, 58. The elder Kangas is accused of misdemeanor assault and driving with a revoked license. These charges stem from an incident with the Tanana Village Public Safety Officer on Wednesday, according to a troopers news release.
    The bodies of the slain troopers have been recovered from Tanana and transported to Anchorage. A small procession was to accompany them to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Anchorage. The two troopers were part of a four-member rural unit based in Fairbanks that covered 23 villages in an area that extends as far west as Kaltag.
    The crime scene is a red single-story building with a metal roof next to the community hall on Front Street, which borders the Yukon River. Troopers blocked off the street about 80 feet away. On Friday morning about a half dozen men were unloading black garbage bags from the community hall and were putting them in a village public safety officer van. One man carried a long gun. An hour later the troopers had taken down all the police tape around the home and two Cessna Caravans departed the town airstrip.
    Arvin Kangas was arraigned Friday in Fairbanks on a fourth-degree assault charge for the incident that apparently sparked the visit to Tanana by Johnson and Rich.
    According to charging documents, the incident occurred at about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday when Arvin Kangas became enraged about the sale of a sofa between a mother and daughter in the village. One of the women called the Village Public Safety Officer, Sgt. Mark Haglin, and said she was afraid Kangas was going to break into her daughter's home to retrieve the sofa.
    When Haglin later saw Kangas driving near the daughter's home, he reportedly tried to stop the vehicle. Kangas responded with a profanity and told Haglin he had no jurisdiction to stop him.
    Kangas motioned for Haglin to approach him, but the VPSO declined.
    "Kangas' behavior and comments placed me in fear of being assaulted and injured if I continued to investigate this matter," Haglin stated in the charging documents.
    Haglin said he told Kangas to drive his vehicle home and park it for the night, but he passed the white station wagon Kangas had been driving about 15 minutes later.
    When he approached Kangas' residence to follow up, Haglin said he saw Kangas exit the building and start to sit down on a chair while pointing rapidly to a shotgun. Haglin said he left the area "in fear of being shot," leading to the call for backup by troopers to serve an arrest warrant.
    Details of the shootings weren't included in the court documents, but a news release from Alaska State Trooper Director Col. James Cockrell said Johnson and Rich were shot while attempting to place Arvin Kangas under arrest.
    The release said a struggle ensued after the troopers contacted Arvin Kangas near the front door of his residence, resulting in the three men entering the home. While inside, it's believed that Nathanial Kangas shot and killed the troopers with a semi-automatic rifle, Cockrell stated.
    A dozen troopers filled the courtroom for Arvid Kangas' arraignment Friday, departing soon after Kangas offered a plea of not guilty. Kangas reportedly has 10 previous criminal convictions, including a pair of assaults. His most recent conviction was in 2012 on a driving under the influence charge.
    Speaking by video from Fairbanks Correctional Center, Kangas interrupted to protest when Magistrate Judge Alicemarie Rasley set his next court appearance for June 25 in Galena.
    "No, in Tanana," Kangas said, arguing that Galena wasn't an appropriate location.
    Nathanial Lee Kangas is expected to be arraigned on Saturday. No charges had been filed against him by Friday afternoon, but anticipated charges include two counts of first-degree murder and a third-degree assault charge, Cockrell stated.
    Tribal administrator Shannon Erhart posted a written statement on a community message board Friday from the Tanana Tribal Council. Many Tanana residents were attending a burial ceremony that afternoon for community elder Lois Starr.
    "This is a very sad day for our community of Tanana. Our hearts go out to the two fallen Alaska State Troopers..." it stated.
    "We have to continue with our plans to bury our mother/grandmother/auntie today, and we ask that you respect our community as we continue with this loss."
    Charlie Campbell, a 33-year-resident of Tanana who was biking near the crime scene Friday afternoon, said it's sad to see his town in the news for this week's events. He said he moved to Tanana when he was in his 20s out of a sense of adventure and thinks of it as a place where people stop you in the street to wish you a happy birthday.
    "I like living here because people are good-hearted," he said. "It's distressing for me for people to think of Tanana as a bad place."
    The only other homicide in the community he knows of occurred in the 1980s, he said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast