Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meditation and The Law of Attraction

Meditation and The Law of Attraction

Over the past few months I have gotten into practicing meditation and the Law of Attraction. Has anyone tried this and found it to be beneficial in their own lives? I noticed that I have been thinking more positively and have become consciously aware of anything negative that I may be thinking or saying. The reason why I bring this topic up for discussion is because of the current situation in our country and around the world. Although we come to the RPF's to discuss issues and what needs to be done, everything we discusss and what we read/see/hear in the media is always negative which only keeps us feeling worried/frustrated/angry/hopeless and even chronically ill.

Based on what I have been learning, every human being is like a powerful magnet and whatever we think/believe/say, we attract into our own lives. As someone who believes that on a deep spiritual level we are all connected to one another, is it possible that humanity is subconsciously creating the kind of world we have today based upon all of our negative worries and fears? And if that's the case, then it is only logical to conclude that we also have the power to reverse it as well. And we can do that by becoming more mindful of our thoughts and getting in touch from within and connecting to our SOURCE/GOD/THE CREATOR/DIVINE INTELLIGENCE, or whatever you personally choose to call it through daily meditation practice. I wanted to share the following brief videos for further duscussion and comments. Enjoy.

The Power of Our Thoughts:

This is the meditation I use every morning. It's absolutely wonderful and doesn't take too long to do at all.

Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a firm believer in the LofA. I practice it and am amazed at the results. I also believe it is Biblical, so it doesn't conflict with my strong faith in the Creator and his Son. I use a visual board and affirmations as part of my daily routine.

I also think that if enough of us concentrate on the same thing, at the same time, we could effect some very positive results.

I know there are people who think this is kooky. But, those who have an open mind, should at least check it out.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the LofA. I practice it and am amazed at the results. I also believe it is Biblical, so it doesn't conflict with my strong faith in the Creator and his Son. I use a visual board and affirmations as part of my daily routine.

I also think that if enough of us concentrate on the same thing, at the same time, we could effect some very positive results.

I know there are people who think this is kooky. But, those who have an open mind, should at least check it out.
    That is so cool Deborah. I do the same thing as well. After my 15 min. meditation I have some images that I look at and say my affirmations. And it has to be said in such a way that it sounds like it already has taken plcae. "I AM" "I HAVE" "I FEEL", etc. Also affirming your intention by writing it out sveral times is powerful as well.

Did you check out the meditation video? I was doing the Wayne Dyer one for awhile, where you meditate to the sound of creation. You have to say "AH after each breath and visualize your intention coming out from your third eye. But I never felt fully realxed doing it. It was too much work! lol. Plus it was 20 min. and seemed to drag. This one from Abraham-Hicks has 4 different types of mediations on the CD to choose from: General Well Being; Financial Well Being; Physical Well Being; and Relationships. The same music is used through out and it reminds me, of music from one of those mobiles that hang over a baby's crib. THE BEST meditation I have ever done. Sooo soothing and on some occassions even blissful! I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...pf_rd_i=507846
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by libertygrl View Post
    That is so cool Deborah. I do the same thing as well. After my 15 min. meditation I have some images that I look at and say my affirmations. And it has to be said in such a way that it sounds like it already has taken plcae. "I AM" "I HAVE" "I FEEL", etc. Also affirming your intention by writing it out sveral times is powerful as well.

Did you check out the meditation video? I was doing the Wayne Dyer one for awhile, where you meditate to the sound of creation. You have to say "AH after each breath and visualize your intention coming out from your third eye. But I never felt fully realxed doing it. It was too much work! lol. Plus it was 20 min. and seemed to drag. This one from Abraham-Hicks has 4 different types of mediations on the CD to choose from: General Well Being; Financial Well Being; Physical Well Being; and Relationships. The same music is used through out and it reminds me, of music from one of those mobiles that hang over a baby's crib. THE BEST meditation I have ever done. Sooo soothing and on some occassions even blissful! I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...pf_rd_i=507846
    I'm no good at meditation. I either fall asleep, or get side-tracked. Unless you consider concentration the same thing as meditation, because I do pretty good at visualizing specific outcomes.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

I have been a dedicated mindfulness meditator for almost fifteen years. It has transformed my life. My most heartfelt advice to anyone reading this is to start a meditation practice now, do it everyday, and never stop. I absolutely promise that you will not regret it. And it is more important to your health and happiness, and the happiness of those around you, than anything else you can do.

I would be happy to make suggestions for getting started for anyone who is interested.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I'm no good at meditation. I either fall asleep, or get side-tracked. Unless you consider concentration the same thing as meditation, because I do pretty good at visualizing specific outcomes.
    I sometimes find myself dozing off in the morning if I am especially tired, but I try to keep up with it anyway because of its benefits. It's very easy for us to get sidtracked with the chatter in our minds and I certainly do that as well. But the trick is not to beat yourself up over it. You just refocus on your breathing and keep concentraiting on doing that. They say once you keep at it for a while it does become easier.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I have been a dedicated mindfulness meditator for almost fifteen years. It has transformed my life. My most heartfelt advice to anyone reading this is to start a meditation practice now, do it everyday, and never stop. I absolutely promise that you will not regret it. And it is more important to your health and happiness, and the happiness of those around you, than anything else you can do.

I would be happy to make suggestions for getting started for anyone who is interested.
    Please do. Go ahead and post them in here if Libertygrl doesn't mind.

This was in error. please disregard.
    Last edited by libertygrl; 04-29-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Please contribute anything you feel may be beneficial to people under the this topic. It would be exciting to have someone like you participate with such experience. Thanks!
    www.classifiedwoman.com

I have been meditating for awhile now, mostly in the vein of Japanese Zen. I'm not familiar with LofA, only similar principles I've heard mentioned here and there.

Thanks for the post!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I've heard equally amazing things from people that practice Transcendental Meditation and Vipassana as taught by S. N. Goenka.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    I've heard equally amazing things from people that practice Transcendental Meditation and Vipassana as taught by S. N. Goenka.
    Mister Goenka, recently deceased, was a giant among meditation teachers. You will not go wrong following his techniques or going to one of his retreats (which are offered free!).
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Sleepiness is very common at first. If you think about it, for most of us most of our lives the only time we are perfectly still is when we are going to sleep. So when we sit still for meditation, our bodies, out of habit, think it is time to go to sleep. When you find yourself dozing off, there are three steps you can take in order of increasing potency:
    1. Straighten your posture. Sleepiness is usually accompanied by a wilting of the posture. Keep adjusting your spine to be straight (but relaxed). If that doesn't work:
    2. Open your eyes. A little or a lot. And keep them open as long as needed. Light sends a wake up signal to your brain. Keeping them defocused will help to keep the distracting influence of visual images to a minimum. If that doesn't work:
    3. Stand up. You can continue your meditation practice in a standing position. It is a bit more challenging than sitting with eyes closed, but you will almost certainly not go to sleep. If you are still falling asleep, go take a nap!!!

With practice, sleepiness will not be a problem most of the time

Wandering mind is also common, and not just among beginners!

It is important to remember that meditation is a skill, like playing the piano. Nobody sits down to a piano the first time and plays Bach. So nobody sits down to meditate the first time and has perfect concentration. The wandering and returning of focus is part of the training. Each time your mind wanders and you bring it back your concentration power gets a little stronger. It is like one repetition in a weight training exercise.

The wandering mind is expected. As Libertygrl said "the important thing is to not beat yourself up over it". Just accept it as part of the training. If judging thoughts arise (I can't do this! Acala is an idiot! etc.), just let them arise and pass away.

Eventually you will be able to hold focus longer, but it really doesn't matter very much. You will get all the benefits from the practice anyway.

Ideally, you want to have a daily practice. I think it is easiest if you do the practice in the same spot in your home at the same time everyday. It needs to become a kind of body habit. If you have to talk yourself into it each time, it is going to be challenging because your mind will always be able to find other more important things for you to do. But if you make it a physical habit to go and sit, same time, same channel, every day, the internal talk eventually does not interfere.

But the best way to get a daily practice going is to dive in and attend a multi-day residential retreat. When you get home, sitting 40 minutes a day will seem like nothing.

Okay, last post for now.

The easiest way to get started is at a local meditation center or sitting group. Google or check meetups for meditation, mindfulness, vipassana, zen, etc. If you live in a town of reasonable size, you should be able to find something. Learning as part of a group is helpful because the presence of the group is supportive.

Alternatively, you can also listen to recorded talks and meditations. There are many available here:
    http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/search

There are also some good books to explain how to do it. This is one of the best and it is free:
    http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

I am happy to answer questions in this thread or by PM.

Good Luck!!! You will not be sorry.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. Thanks for all your insightful posts Acala. I see you're located in the Sonoran Desert area. I once read that environment is supposed to be very condusive to such mindful practices and that there's something about the energy that's emitted from the area. Don't know if that's a myth or not. Let me ask you, what are the differences between some of the meditations that have been mentioned here. I know some use chanting and breathing is always key, but do the different types of meditations, differ in how the breathing is done as well?
    www.classifiedwoman.com

I just meditate in bed at the end of the day. I don't have a regular practice, but do this most nights. If I have a really good session, it almost seems like I'm half asleep or in what some people call Hypnagogia. I'd say my method is basically just Meditation on Breathing. Maybe try to visualize being underwater.

After I'm done, I just stretch and move around, then go to sleep. I do think Meditation at the end of my day like this really helps me to fall asleep.

EDIT: I guess I'll add that I'm not really into the Laws of Attraction thing.
    Last edited by VIDEODROME; 04-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.

I'm no good at meditation.
    Maybe you are and you just don't know it. Perhaps you meditate without knowing that you're doing it. Kind of like when you go out in the morning with a cup of coffee and listen to the birds. Maybe watch the wabbit hop across the lawn. Listen to the bumblebee buzzing around the blossoms instead of swatting the lil feller away while you're in your garden weeding and whatnot. That kind of thing.

Nature is a frequency. And you're on it. That's the beauty of it. Just have to tune into it. And the great thing about it is that any channel will do.

I was saying in another thread that man has been taught to perceive order in a manufactured sort of way. It's something that has happened over time and what we have today are the remnants of Aristotle and Plato whose teachings have been a kind of organized roadblock in man's understanding of himself. We've sort of been programmed to believe that we should separate ourselves from nature. Mind from matter. The heavens from the Earth. And this is a travesty. We're all connected. Physically. To each other. To nature around us. And to nature that, in turn, extends beyond that and to the Cosmos itself.

Can't believe someone gave this thread a 1 star. Baaaaad energy....
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-29-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

I was saying in another thread that man has been taught to perceive order in a manufactured sort of way. It's something that has happened over time and what we have today are the remnants of Aristotle and Plato whose teachings have been a kind of organized roadblock in man's understanding of himself. We've sort of been programmed to believe that we should separate ourselves from nature. Mind from matter. The heavens from the Earth. And this is a travesty. We're all connected. Physically. To each other. To nature around us. And to nature that, in turn, extends beyond that and to the Cosmos itself.

Can't believe someone gave this thread a 1 star. Baaaaad energy....
    Great post NC. I would also add and you will probably agree, that all living creatures including we humans, are a frequency as well. From what I have been learning, the key to true freedom and the ability to manifest, is the absence of resistance in our lives. Resistance is when we try to swim upstream rather than downstream or "going with the flow of life."

When we meditate we are in the state of allowing. Allowing our frequency to align with the frequency of Source. It's like we are the frequency of a radio and we have to fine tune it in order to get aligned with the higher vibrational source. Crazy deep stuff, but fascinating!
    www.classifiedwoman.com

I see you're located in the Sonoran Desert area. I once read that environment is supposed to be very condusive to such mindful practices and that there's something about the energy that's emitted from the area. Don't know if that's a myth or not.
    I find that there is something spiritual in the starkness of the desert here. But I have not found any difference in meditation practice based on geographic location.

Let me ask you, what are the differences between some of the meditations that have been mentioned here. I know some use chanting and breathing is always key, but do the different types of meditations, differ in how the breathing is done as well?
    My experieince is primarily in mindfulness meditation (also called vipassana oo insight meditation) so I will start with that. Mindfulness meditation consists of focusing attention on some aspect of sensory experience (like the breath), trying to be aware of as much subtle detail as possible in that stream of experience, and maintaining an attitude that can be described as equanimity, or acceptance, or non-interference, or allowing, or unconditional love, or surrender to the will of God. And that's it. Bringing sensory clarity and equanimity to whatever arises.

Now we are leaving my field of "expertise", such as it is, so take it with a grain of salt.

Many Tibetan (Vajrayana) practices focus on deliberately invoking states of compassion or loving kindness (called metta) for all beings and abiding in those states. This differs from mindfulness in that it involves deliberately invoking a sensory experience rather than just allowing experiences to arise as they may. Other Tibetan practices include the deliberate creation of, and identification with, an imagined divine archetype. It often seems that there is no aspect of human experience that the Tibetans have not developed into a meditation technique.

Transcendental Meditation is a mantra practice in which the meditator silently repeats a specific word or phrase during the meditation practice. I assume they focus on that subjective verbal experience during the practice.

Mister Goenka's technique is a type of Burmese mindfulness meditation taught by U Ba Khin. This practice typically begins with focus on the breath to strengthen concentration and then scanning the body, bringing clarity and equanimity to whatever arises in body sensations.

Zen is a sect of Mahayana Buddhism that has two main branches: Soto and Rinzai. The most characteristic meditation technique of the Soto school is Shikantaza. This is variously described as "just sitting" without deliberately directing awareness, or focusing on the sitting posture itself. The Rinzai school uses the famous koans as an object of meditation.

It should be kept in mind that what I have presented is a broad caricature of these schools and individual teachers can deviate dramatically.

Meditation is not limited to the Buddhist tradition. The yoga practices of Hinduism were intended as meditation practices, although they have suffered somewhat upon importation to the US, being to some extent turned into another form of health club aerobics. But you can find meditative yoga practices as well as special breath practices called pranayama.

Christianity also had a rich tradition of meditation that nearly died out, particularly in Protestant sects, but is making a big comeback. Father Keating's Centering Prayer in particular has active groups all over the country.

And that is probably enough for one post.
    Last edited by Acala; 05-01-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Great post NC. I would also add and you will probably agree, that all living creatures including we humans, are a frequency as well. From what I have been learning, the key to true freedom and the ability to manifest, is the absence of resistance in our lives. Resistance is when we try to swim upstream rather than downstream or "going with the flow of life."
    Libertygrl are have you ever read much about Taoism?

Deborah turned me back onto this a few months ago. I think about this every day. My life has dramatically improved in just a few months. I am on track to reach the goals I set for myself in just a few months. I'm going to wait until I reach that point to let you all know what has happened, but it's hard not to spill the beans now.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I ask you my fiends.

is there ANYTHING hotter than a Liberty girl?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Libertygrl are have you ever read much about Taoism?
    A little. I read "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff as my first introduction. Then Wayne Dyer did a book called "Change Your Thoughts Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao. I read a lot of books so sometimes I have to go back and reread the ones that I begin to forget about. Isn't the Tao that whole concept of going with the flow of life?

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Pooh-The-P...he+tao+of+pooh
    www.classifiedwoman.com

I find that there is something spiritual in the starkness of the desert here. But I have not found any difference in meditation practice based on geographic location.

My experieince is primarily in mindfulness meditation (also called vipassana oo insight meditation) so I will start with that. Mindfulness meditation consists of focusing attention on some aspect of sensory experience (like the breath), trying to be aware of as much subtle detail as possible in that stream of experience, and maintaining an attitude that can be described as equanimity, or acceptance, or non-interference, or allowing, or unconditional love, or surrender to the will of God. And that's it. Bringing sensory clarity and equanimity to whatever arises.

Now we are leaving my field of "expertise", such as it is, so take it with a grain of salt.

Many Tibetan (Vajrayana) practices focus on deliberately invoking states of compassion or loving kindness (called metta) for all beings and abiding in those states. This differs from mindfulness in that it involves deliberately invoking a sensory experience rather than just allowing experiences to arise as they may. Other Tibetan practices include the deliberate creation of, and identification with, an imagined divine archetype. It often seems that there is no aspect of human experience that the Tibetans have not developed into a meditation technique.

Transcendental Meditation is a mantra practice in which the meditator silently repeats a specific word or phrase during the meditation practice. I assume they focus on that subjective verbal experience during the practice.

Mister Goenka's technique is a type of Burmese mindfulness meditation taught by U Ba Khin. This practice typically begins with focus on the breath to strengthen concentration and then scanning the body, bringing clarity and equanimity to whatever arises in body sensations.

Zen is a sect of Mahayana Buddhism that has two main branches: Soto and Rinzai. The most characteristic meditation technique of the Soto school is Shikantaza. This is varously described as "just sitting" without deliberately directing awareness, or focuing on the sitting posture itself. The Rinzai school uses the famous koans as an object of meditation.

It should be kept in mind that what I have presented is a broad caricature of these schools and individual teachers can deviate dramatically.

Meditation is not limited to the Buddhist tradition. The yoga practices of Hinduism were intended as meditation practices, although they have suffered somewhat upon importation to the US, being to some extent turned into another form of health club aerobics. But you can find meditative yoga practices as well as special breath practices called pranayama.

Christianity also had a rich tradition of meditation that nearly died out, particularly in Protestant sects, but is making a big comeback. Father Keating's Centering Prayer in particular has active groups all over the country.

And that is probably enough for one post.

Wow. Thanks. I think I got more out of this one post than anywhere else on the subject. I am surrounded by beaches where I live so watching the waves roll in and out, and the vastness of the ocean has always been very calming and a spiritual experience for me. But I have to tell you that feeling was magnified when I went to the desert for the fist time back when I lived in San Diego. When people ask me what being in a desert is like I just tell them it's hard to explain, and that you have to experience it for yourself.

I have done Yoga with the chanting of OM. Seems the vibration of creating that sound puts me in a deep relaxed state. Then again for some reason, electrical appliances do that for me as well. lol. The humming of an AC, clothes dryer, vaccum cleaner, etc. If I happend to be sitting quietly by myself and any of these things are on, it just start dozing off. lol.

Yes, most people forget about meditation within Christianity. My mother sort of does this every morning but I don't think she realizes it. She prays to her rosary. My grandmother used to do the same.

Very interesting...
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Deborah turned me back onto this a few months ago. I think about this every day. My life has dramatically improved in just a few months. I am on track to reach the goals I set for myself in just a few months. I'm going to wait until I reach that point to let you all know what has happened, but it's hard not to spill the beans now.

That is so AWESOME! Good for you!! Can you perhaps share a little of some of the practices you've been impementing in your life that has made such dramatic changes in such a short period of time?
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    I ask you my fiends.

is there ANYTHING hotter than a Liberty girl?
    Aww.. don't know if that was specifically meant for my posts or liberty minded women in general, but... keep up the good work. It does wonders for my ego. lol.

So HVACTech, what brings you into this discussion? Do you meditate or practice the law of attraction in your own life?
    Last edited by libertygrl; 05-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

While I totally believe what you're saying, it's hard to be positive when society is beating you over the head with a club.

*whack*whack*whack* stay positive, motherfucker. Stop resisting.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    While I totally believe what you're saying, it's hard to be positive when society is beating you over the head with a club.

*whack*whack*whack* stay positive, motherfucker. Stop resisting.
    One of the most important benefits of meditation is nurturing happiness independent of conditions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast