Thread: Hawaii Passes Minimum Wage Hike

Hawaii Passes Minimum Wage Hike

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2014-...imum-wage-hike

HONOLULU (AP) — Lawmakers have passed a bill that will raise the minimum wage in Hawaii.

The House passed the measure Tuesday. Before it goes to the governor to become law, its details will have to be hammered out in conference with the Senate.

In its current form, the bill raises Hawaii's minimum wage by 50 cents beginning next year and by 75 cents a year until it hits $10 an hour in 2018.

It doubles the existing tip credit to 50 cents but restricts it to employees whose wages and tips together exceed the minimum wage by at least $7 an hour. The tip credit is the amount an employer can withhold from the wages of a worker who also earns tips.

Hawaii's minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2007.
    Predictions?
    [no longer a teenager]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenager For Ron Paul View Post
    It's not really a big deal. HI has a very high cost of living and almost everyone that actually needs to make money makes way more than the min. wage, anyway. Don't get me wrong. Min. wage increases are always wrong!

Now if MS or VW (states with very low pay) increased the minimum wages that much, it would create huge disruptions!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I don't live there. It doesn't affect me, its up to the people who live there to determine these things. I would be upset if the Federal Government tried to do it though.

Reminds me of the failed Hawaii universal health care for children. It lasted 6 or 7 months ,that was , oh 6 or 7 yrs ago . It is a commie state .

anyone on this forum now living on min wage , my soc sec is about $14,000 ( no ss payments or fed/state taxes ) , i am not complaining but now days its very hard .

with all the taxes --home--car tags on my 97 auto--sales taxes .

insurance on -- home-- car --health .

elect bill --water/sewer --tele ( no cell phone )/internet , gasoline at $3.50/gal

the above are things that i have very little control of , i guess i could cut out the internet .

like someone said try walking in my shoes .

food going up very fast , sometimes i get tired of mcdonalds dollar menu food .

anyone that thinks $7.50/hr is enough should try it for about 6 months.

also in commie states/countries they hold the workers wages low .
    Last edited by ILUVRP; 04-29-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add

According to BLS statistics, in 2011 only 8,000 hourly workers in Hawaii were paid the Federal minimum wage (which is also the current state minimum of $7.25 an hour). Impact of raising that? Not much. http://www.bls.gov/ro9/mwhi.pdf Additionally, some 7,000 were paid below the minimum (exempt workers include those getting tips like waiters- they would not necessarily see their wages increased).

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    According to BLS statistics, in 2011 only 8,000 hourly workers in Hawaii were paid the Federal minimum wage (which is also the current state minimum of $7.25 an hour). Impact of raising that? Not much. http://www.bls.gov/ro9/mwhi.pdf Additionally, some 7,000 were paid below the minimum (exempt workers include those getting tips like waiters- they would not necessarily see their wages increased).
    Yep , no impact , if any , of course it will be negative , reducing opportunity.

Unemployment will go up, but only slightly.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you work at minimum wage for 40 hours a week, you before tax check would go up by $20. Part time? 32 hours would get you $16 more.

Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

"Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

"Yeah, I have to say these guys(trolls) are pretty sharp. Sort of good to get a challenge and sharpen your thoughts." NorthCarolinaLiberty

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Predictions?
    That they will raise it again soon. In less than 4 years. This is Hawaii. Hawaii isn't just far to the left geographically.