Thread: Iowa Republicans Replace 'Liberty' Faction on State Central Committee

Iowa Republicans Replace 'Liberty' Faction on State Central Committee

Republicans in Iowa replace 'liberty' faction with new party leaders

Just two years after Ron Paul's eclectic army of activists orchestrated a hostile takeover of the Republican Party of Iowa headquarters, the other factions of the GOP have shown them the door.

Iowa is the first state to fully strip power from liberty-movement followers who led a charge on state parties in 2012.

Today, mainstream and evangelical conservative Republicans named 16 new members to the board that oversees the party machinery. Voting took place at their four district conventions.

The liberty Republicans' ouster from leadership is expected to affect their ability to set the stage for a White House run for Kentucky U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, who is Ron Paul's son and a likely 2016 candidate. The liberty movement will no longer have full control over invitations to big party events in Iowa, what kind of grass-roots training is conducted, or who gets hired to work at headquarters.

But because the movement's leaders are no longer saddled with running the party, they're free to help the younger Paul. Another silver lining: If Rand Paul wins the 2016 Iowa caucuses, rivals can't credibly discount his victory because of suspicions that party leadership was biased, liberty activists told the Register.

More:
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...icans/8203021/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Huck's Army?

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Huck's Army?
    They called it both mainstream and evangelical, so that pretty much points to Huckabee.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

But because the movement's leaders are no longer saddled with running the party, they're free to help the younger Paul.
    At the expense of not, you know, being in positions of leadership. I don't remember the Romney campaign getting all up in arms when people called their victories shams at the caucus level even though there's evidence of unity and fake slates. Turnout should not have been a problem. But with Spiker stepping down, can't be too surprised.

Wasn't the fundraising really poor since the Liberty faction gained control?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Fundraising actually was a record levels, but went to the candidates directly instead of the state party.

Who are they backing to run against Bruce Braley?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Wasn't the fundraising really poor since the Liberty faction gained control?
    Basically, the old guard pulled their rug and left the fundraising up to us. I remember last year some time Ron sent out a note asking us to help Spiker out and we did. Seems like they had a couple hundred grand on hand but Ron's guys decided to flirt w/ office runs then back down and eventually relinquish their state party roles. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve but I'm not seeing it right now. It took a lot of effort and money to lock those spots down and to do anything less then stick around and add to it seems relatively counter-productive.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBC4L View Post
    Fundraising actually was a record levels, but went to the candidates directly instead of the state party.
    That happened in Minnesota, I believe. Probably in Iowa too.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Basically, the old guard pulled their rug and left the fundraising up to us. I remember last year some time Ron sent out a note asking us to help Spiker out and we did. Seems like they had a couple hundred grand on hand but Ron's guys decided to flirt w/ office runs then back down and eventually relinquish their state party roles. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve but I'm not seeing it right now. It took a lot of effort and money to lock those spots down and to do anything less then stick around and add to it seems relatively counter-productive.
    at the end of the day,
    it is all about money and time.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They called it both mainstream and evangelical, so that pretty much points to Huckabee.
    Or Santorum.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

So was the 2012 Iowa Convention all for naught? Will there be any interim lasting effects? I'm not very knowledgeable about this situation.

In the 2nd district the evangelicals did not win. It was moderates that showed up in force. Or it was the fact that our current governor endorsed candidates. An endorsement from a very popular governor goes a long way. The Iowa GOP is only one of 10 state parties that do not have any debt and have 300k on hand.

Iowa picks losers (Robertson, Huckabee, Santorum). They're unworthy of the amount of attention they get, but it doesn't translate to sway, as McCain and Romney were buoyed by New Hampshire after Iowa was finished picking their quadrennial GOP clown.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Iowa picks losers (Robertson, Huckabee, Santorum). They're unworthy of the amount of attention they get, but it doesn't translate to sway, as McCain and Romney were buoyed by New Hampshire after Iowa was finished picking their quadrennial GOP clown.
    The perception remains that Iowa establishes who is credible, as the first "for real" contest. A quick win for Rand there, like Ron before him, would shake off any "he can't win" drumbeat designed to marginalize him. NH is another target for the early win, but if it doesn't happen there either, the freight train to crown the establishment guy is going to reach full steam, especially with the frontloading of the primaries back in effect.

It was a profound lack of foresight on the part of the Iowa liberty faction not to hold on to their positions going into the crucial 2015-2016 cycle. Now the hacks are back in position to rig a victory for Huck and company, and hope for an honest caucus vote count is probably gone. What's the point of taking over the GOP, if you give the power right back before you can accomplish something with it?
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    The perception remains that Iowa establishes who is credible, as the first "for real" contest. A quick win for Rand there, like Ron before him, would shake off any "he can't win" drumbeat designed to marginalize him. NH is another target for the early win, but if it doesn't happen there either, the freight train to crown the establishment guy is going to reach full steam, especially with the frontloading of the primaries back in effect.

It was a profound lack of foresight on the part of the Iowa liberty faction not to hold on to their positions going into the crucial 2015-2016 cycle. Now the hacks are back in position to rig a victory for Huck and company, and hope for an honest caucus vote count is probably gone. What's the point of taking over the GOP, if you give the power right back before you can accomplish something with it?
    The count is legitimate. In both 2008 and 2012 I watched the votes being tallied in my precinct. At least one liberty person was watching the count in each precinct in my county. We ran our own tabulation and it matched what the county chair reported and called into the state party. Supporters of other candidates watched the count as well as they have a stake in it being reported correctly too. Paul had a precinct leader in every or nearly every precinct that watched the vote. We called in our numbers and they matched what the state party reported. There were some minor mishaps but no foul play. However, the numbers reported by the media were off by 4 votes for my county in 2012.

As to what you call a lack of foresight, there was no changing the level of involvement and enthusiasm of Paul supporters. We simply did not have the numbers. Too many people only care once every 4 years. The establishment has been planning their return to power for the past two years. They created divisions by drumming up reason upon reason to ouster us and then turned out in force. Their candidates for State Central Committee were endorsed by Steve King & Terry Branstad. They've been working on this and all we had to do was turn our people out but liberty folks are fickle when it comes to politics. Funny huh?

The state party stood on principle for two years and was vocal on our issues. We called out incumbent Republicans including the governor. The establishment whined about it all the time but many grassroots activists praised us. We stood on principle and didn't back down. Was it worth it? I think yes. While the state party is out of our control there are many liberty folks active in county parties throughout the state that are building their resume inside Iowa and the GOP. We aren't gone.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damn you establishment corn-monkeys!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

These new people are all as much for liberty as the rest of us. I can assure you. And probably more so than Mitch McConnell, John McCain, and Lindsey Graham for sure. Especially with how much progress we have been making.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    The count is legitimate. In both 2008 and 2012 I watched the votes being tallied in my precinct. At least one liberty person was watching the count in each precinct in my county. We ran our own tabulation and it matched what the county chair reported and called into the state party. Supporters of other candidates watched the count as well as they have a stake in it being reported correctly too. Paul had a precinct leader in every or nearly every precinct that watched the vote. We called in our numbers and they matched what the state party reported. There were some minor mishaps but no foul play. However, the numbers reported by the media were off by 4 votes for my county in 2012.

As to what you call a lack of foresight, there was no changing the level of involvement and enthusiasm of Paul supporters. We simply did not have the numbers. Too many people only care once every 4 years. The establishment has been planning their return to power for the past two years. They created divisions by drumming up reason upon reason to ouster us and then turned out in force. Their candidates for State Central Committee were endorsed by Steve King & Terry Branstad. They've been working on this and all we had to do was turn our people out but liberty folks are fickle when it comes to politics. Funny huh?

The state party stood on principle for two years and was vocal on our issues. We called out incumbent Republicans including the governor. The establishment whined about it all the time but many grassroots activists praised us. We stood on principle and didn't back down. Was it worth it? I think yes. While the state party is out of our control there are many liberty folks active in county parties throughout the state that are building their resume inside Iowa and the GOP. We aren't gone.
    Thanks for the report, but especially for all your efforts!! I have noticed the same trends.... Waves come and go, but the folks who understand the need for continued involvement are increasing. All who stick with it have my sincere appreciation.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    isn't the old guard a term for people like Robert Taft and Goldwater?
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    isn't the old guard a term for people like Robert Taft and Goldwater?
    The old guard is Bush and his retreads from the Nixon admin.