Thread: Russian Central Bank spikes interest rates

Russian Central Bank spikes interest rates

How long until we see the rate hikes here at home?

Food inflation is soaring... how long can the Fed keep a lid on raising rates?

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...rates/8141113/

Russia's central bank on Friday raised its benchmark interest rate half a percentage point to 7.5% to cope with rising inflation in another sign of widening economic fallout from the Ukraine crisis.

The increase follows a March 3 hike from 5.5% to 7% that bank had described as temporary.

The Bank of Russia's latest move came hours after Standard & Poor's cut Russia's credit rating to one notch above junk levels, citing the political tensions over Ukraine and the flight of investor capital.

"In our view, the tense geopolitical situation between Russia and Ukraine could see additional significant outflows of both foreign and domestic capital from the Russian economy and hence further undermine already weakening growth prospects," S&P said.

CRISIS BUILDS: U.S. allies threaten new sanctions

The Bank of Russia said that raising its key rate would slow inflation to no more than 6% by the end of the year. Consumer prices were up 7.2% in April from a year ago, the bank said, and it projected inflation would remain at that level until mid-year.

For comparison,annual inflation in the U.S. and in the 18 nations that use the euro is running well below 2%.

"The probability of inflation exceeding the 5.0% target at the end of 2014 has increased substantially," the Bank of Russia said.

The actions by S&P and the Bank of Russia follow a slowing of economic growth in Russia to 0.8% in the first quarter and capital flight of $70 billion by anxious investors. Russian officials have said more capital was taken out of the country in the first quarter of the year than in all of 2013.

Russia was facing deepening economic woes even before its actions in Ukraine. Its economy grew 1.3% in 2013, the lowest rate since 1999, excluding 2009 when the economy contracted amid the global financial crisis. S&P said its base forecast was for average annual growth of 2.3% a year in 2014 through 2017, but indicated that could prove too optimistic.

"In our view, if geopolitical tensions do not subside in 2014, there is significant downside risk that growth will fall well below 1%," S&P said.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Russia doesn't have a military empire and free $#@! army to finance.

They can afford to hike rates. The Fed cannot do that without systemic and social overhaul.

Food inflation? The Fed will simply say; "Let them eat cake".
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Strengthening the ruble in preparation for further assaults on the US dollar's reserve currency status.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Russia doesn't have a military empire and free $#@! army to finance.

They can afford to hike rates. The Fed cannot do that without systemic and social overhaul.

Food inflation? The Fed will simply say; "Let them eat cake".
    No they will just change how they measure CPI to offset any noted rise in inflation. lol
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Hmmm, 7.5%? I'm only getting 0.7% on my 18 month IRA...can I move my IRA to Russia?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin