Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul slams Cliven Bundy's racist rant

Rand Paul slams Cliven Bundy's racist rant

Republican Sens. Rand Paul and Dean Heller on Thursday both denounced as “offensive” and “racist” Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy’s recent comments about African-Americans.
    “His remarks on race are offensive and I wholeheartedly disagree with him,” Paul said in a statement, according to Business Insider.

“Senator Heller completely disagrees with Mr. Bundy’s appalling and racist statements, and condemns them in the most strenuous way,” Heller spokeswoman Chandler Smith said in a statement.
    Both Paul and Heller have previously defended Bundy, the Nevada rancher who is in a standoff against the federal government. Heller has referred to his supporters as “patriots.”
    But on Thursday, The New York Times reported Bundy using the word “Negro” and wondering if blacks were better off as slaves.
    “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton,” Bundy said over the weekend, according to the Times. “And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”
    Appearing on “CBS This Morning” on Thursday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said he hadn’t seen Bundy’s comments. The Republican called Bundy a “side story” in the greater issue of how the federal government deals with public and private land.
    Fox News host Greta Van Susteren on Thursday released a statement on her official blog: “Let me make this plain: I condemn what Cliven Bundy said about African Americans.” Van Susteren has devoted significant time on her program to the Bundy issue, interviewing both Paul and Carol Bundy, Cliven’s wife.

“Morning Joe” co-host and former GOP Rep. Joe Scarborough on his program Thursday morning slammed Bundy and Republicans who have embraced him. He said that Bundy is demanding “a right that no other rancher in America has.”
    The host appeared to be equally upset with conservatives that have championed Bundy over the course of the past few weeks. “There’s nothing conservative about this man,” Scarborough said. “This is where nihilism about the federal government gets you in trouble every time.”
    Comparing Bundy to George Zimmerman, Scarborough continued: “They basically pick their friends based on who their ‘enemies’ are. In this case, a lot of people in conservative media have raced to this guy’s defense. They must be feeling very exposed this morning.”
    Mo Elleithee, communications director for the Democratic National Committee, took to Twitter to criticize Paul for what he thought was a slow response. “So @SenRandPaul took 12 hours to condemn Bundy’s racist rant. 12 hours. I dunno about him, but my outrage was pretty instant,” Elleithee wrote.
    Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), chair of the DNC, also condemned Bundy’s comments on Twitter, writing: “Cliven Bundy’s comments are abhorrent and should be condemned immediately by all sides.”

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus denounced the remarks, saying in a statement: “Bundy’s comments are completely beyond the pale. Both highly offensive and 100 percent wrong on race.”
    The chairman also said in separate comments that he doesn’t anticipate that the statements by the Nevada rancher will have any impact on Las Vegas’s chance to host the 2016 Republican National Convention.
    “The convention decisions are made in pretty much a vacuum,” he said on the “Coffee and Markets” podcast. “No matter where you fall on this issue, with regard to this land out in Nevada, I don’t think it has anything to do with whether Las Vegas is a worthy place for a convention.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...#ixzz2zoYOPvvB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The media would LOVE to tie Rand Paul to anything remotely having the word race in it. If they could, they would call him a racist for attending an Indy or NASCAR event because it has to do with "races."

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    The media would LOVE to tie Rand Paul to anything remotely having the word race in it. If they could, they would call him a racist for attending an Indy or NASCAR event because it has to do with "races."
    And that's why we shouldn't worry so much about the media. (I know, I know....gotta get elected). But when we worry what the media will say, instead of standing for what's right (in spite of what Bundy has said....remember, his words are NOT the issue here) we give them the power to assure that we will never succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    And that's why we shouldn't worry so much about the media. (I know, I know....gotta get elected). But when we worry what the media will say, instead of standing for what's right (in spite of what Bundy has said....remember, his words are NOT the issue here) we give them the power to assure that we will never succeed.
    Exactly WE shouldn't but Rand Paul should tread lightly on this subject. It's okay to disagree with what he said but still agree that the government is over reaching yet again. Hopefully he can do this without throwing meat to the dogs.

Have they released any audio recordings on these statements? Bundy said he was slandered by the NYT reporter.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Have they released any audio recordings on these statements? Bundy said he was slandered by the NYT reporter.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5504166
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

That, pretty much. Though, brief aside, I did like the title of a Washington Post article that read "Rand Paul and other Republican leaders distance themselves from Bundy" or something to that effect.

Come on Rand! Did you actually listen to them?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hold on one cotton pickin' minute (read that in old man voice)... I haven't had a chance to keep up with this story, but one thing I read earlier made it sound like this NYT reporter who heard the comment almost immediately called Rand Paul's office for a statement on Bundy's statement? There is no doubt they are using this to smear the Tea Party and associated politicians.

Knowing that their strategy is to smear Rand, he really doesn't have much of a choice but to react strongly to these types of contrived "outrages". Cultural Marxism, distraction and dirty politics are afoot.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hold on one cotton pickin' minute (read that in old man voice)... I haven't had a chance to keep up with this story, but one thing I read earlier made it sound like this NYT reporter who heard the comment almost immediately called Rand Paul's office for a statement on Bundy's statement?
    Where'd you read that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Where'd you read that?
    Wish I had a link. I was in a rush, and was scanning several news articles. Couldn't even tell you which website it was.

I'll try a Google search...

Update:
    If you read the original article, the first thing the original article says after the Bundy quote is a quote from a Rand spokesman. Contacting Rand's office and connecting him to this was obviously top priority for them.

A spokesman for Mr. Paul, informed of Mr. Bundy’s remarks, said the senator was not available for immediate comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/us...west.html?_r=0
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-24-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And the very next article from the same NYT "reporter" referenced Rand. This is the source of the whole story, and it is clear that a primary agenda here was to connect this to Rand.

Second headline:
    After Supporting Rancher, Paul Denounces Him
    Rand Paul Condemns Cliven Bundy’s Remarks on Blacks

hxxp://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/us/politics/after-supporting-rancher-paul-condemns-his-remarks-on-blacks.html
    This is pretty much like a reporter asking someone "do you still beat your wife", and when the answer is "no", the next headline is "After wife beating question asked, Joe denies beating his wife" or "Joe stopped beating his wife."

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Exactly WE shouldn't but Rand Paul should tread lightly on this subject. It's okay to disagree with what he said but still agree that the government is over reaching yet again. Hopefully he can do this without throwing meat to the dogs.
    Rick Perry seems to have a handle on it:
    The Republican called Bundy a “side story” in the greater issue of how the federal government deals with public and private land.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Rick Perry seems to have a handle on it:
    Maybe Perry can invite Bundy out hunting at "Niggerhead".

Yep. This is all about discrediting the Tea Party - and Rand with it. I understand what Bundy was getting at, but damn people... We have to understand the world we are living in. Words will be used by these people.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yep. This is all about discrediting the Tea Party - and Rand with it. I understand what Bundy was getting at, but damn people... We have to understand the world we are living in. Words will be used by these people.
    It is probably just me but I think it is social suicide to assert that black people were better off as slaves. I don't think anybody actually believes that, do they?

Oh well. We knew they were coming after Bundy, and that they would probably win. But I sure did not see the racism card being trump, that's for sure.
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is probably just me but I think it is social suicide to assert that black people were better off as slaves. I don't think anybody actually believes that, do they?
    I personally think I disagree, I think I would rather be on welfare in the ghetto than living on a slave plantation but if you look merely at the incarceration rate of black males as well as the extreme cyclical poverty a good debate could be had.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It depends on what you are talking about when you say "better off".
    The assumption that spending more of the taxpayers’ money will make things better has survived all kinds of evidence that it has made things worse. The black family—which survived slavery, discrimination, poverty, wars and depressions—began to come apart as the federal government moved in with its well-financed programs to “help.” - Thomas Sowell
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Guess it's different when it's him saying this.

Usually, when Sowell and others are talking about blacks being better off under slavery than under welfare, they're talking about the stability of the family. Nobody in their right mind would honestly say that slavery, which is the equivalent to being jailed for no just cause at all, is better than welfarism.

There is a massive gulf between the two ideas, and they need to stop being conflated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Usually, when Sowell and others are talking about blacks being better off under slavery than under welfare, they're talking about the stability of the family. Nobody in their right mind would honestly say that slavery, which is the equivalent to being jailed for no just cause at all, is better than welfarism.
    Good thing that never happens...

This wouldn't have happened if he'd been more offensive, politically I mean.

If Rand had started landing haymakers into Reid's smug cheeks from the get go, no holds barred—what with all the ethically-defunct insider deals and BLM cover-ups (talk about a wasted opportunity)—and keeping Reid and the statist media occupied with trying to build a defense around father and son Reid, then there'd be no time to keep levying attacks on Bundy.

Once again, constitutionalists delayed. Spent too much time trying to fend off attacks instead of pinning the left in a corner for just once in a $#@!ing lifetime. They built fixed fortifications on a political 'Maginot line' and the left just laughed and went around through Belgium, and now they're rolling tanks through Paris and trying to force Rand to surrender.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-24-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Comparing welfare to slavery is NOT the same. A person still has the freedom to get off the government slave tit a slave never had the opportunity. Using this argument kills us.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    The Tea Party is plenty good at discrediting itself, but I agree this will be used to demonize Second Amendment supporters and advocates of States Rights.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And the very next article from the same NYT "reporter" referenced Rand. This is the source of the whole story, and it is clear that a primary agenda here was to connect this to Rand.

Second headline:

This is pretty much like a reporter asking someone "do you still beat your wife", and when the answer is "no", the next headline is "After wife beating question asked, Joe denies beating his wife" or "Joe stopped beating his wife."

I think we need to seriously consider going after reporters with agendas, using their comments sections, and emailing/twittering them directly. They should be exposed.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

"But on Thursday, The New York Times reported Bundy using the word “Negro”

how desperate is that? when did the word black, in Spanish become racist?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Hard to keep up with the times. When I was young I was taught the term Negro was good and acceptable. Then came the term Black. I think nowadays it is African American. IDK. I had some friends that were very dark skinned when I was in nursing school. They were from Haiti. I wonder how they or a Jamaican or any dark skinned person that is not from Africa would like to be called African.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Great point. I hope Rand didn't jump the gun on this.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Comparing welfare to slavery is NOT the same. A person still has the freedom to get off the government slave tit a slave never had the opportunity. Using this argument kills us.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Why are we still allowing the media to set the agenda? Bundy's words are not the reason that the man is in the news. The abuse of the BLM is why he is in the news, and that's all we should be willing to discuss where Bundy is concerned. His opinions about other issues are his business.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast