Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul slams Cliven Bundy's racist rant

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Well, since I'm black, I think I see a difference in Thomas Sowell saying there is a correlation between black families dividing and more government intervention versus a white person calling blacks negros and saying we were better off as slaves...
    All I see is a diversionary tactic.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, since I'm black, I think I see a difference in Thomas Sowell saying there is a correlation between black families dividing and more government intervention versus a white person calling blacks negros and saying we were better off as slaves...
    He never said that, please watch what he said in it's entirety. If anything, he is inarticulate, and old dude using old terminology and old analogies:

I agree with Brian's assessment here as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Agree. The irony here is that if you listen to Bundy's entire monologue, the actual intent was exactly the opposite of what the media is saying. He was talking about freedom, and that he doesn't want the situation for black (or any) people to go backwards to the Watts riot era, he wants to move forward. He wants people to have jobs and families, and he wants to provide more freedom by removing overbearing bureaucracy. He wants to help everyone, calling them all his brothers. He basically called for immigration Amnesty. He was sounding like Jeb Bush, who the media loves.

He was trying his hardest to please the politically correct left while also expressing his values (about freedom). The problem was that he sounded like an old, white Mormon from the Great Depression when he did it.

Lesson learned: don't let the left drive the conversation. Don't try to please them, especially in areas that are famously "gotchas" and red herrings. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of establishment media.

The full video:

http://bambuser.com/v/4549915?v=m
    Edit: I didn't post the tube. Posted now.
    Last edited by Deborah K; 04-24-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Agree. The irony here is that if you listen to Bundy's entire monologue, the actual intent was exactly the opposite of what the media is saying. He was talking about freedom, and that he doesn't want the situation for black (or any) people to go backwards to the Watts riot era, he wants to move forward. He wants people to have jobs and families, and he wants to provide more freedom by removing overbearing bureaucracy. He wants to help everyone, calling them all his brothers. He basically called for immigration Amnesty. He was sounding like Jeb Bush, who the media loves.

He was trying his hardest to please the politically correct left while also expressing his values (about freedom). The problem was that he sounded like an old, white Mormon from the Great Depression when he did it.

Lesson learned: don't let the left drive the conversation. Don't try to please them, especially in areas that are famously "gotchas" and red herrings. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of establishment media.
    He was in control of the federal lands debate and was stirring more debate on it than I have heard in decades. The media was for the most part talking about his issues and federal overreach was losing. Now every damned media story is about comparing negro welfare to slavery. Like you said. Hopefully lesson learned.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Another black perspective on the cause of torn black families:

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and another black man's perspective:

http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/black-lea...ks-not-racist/

So let's say he wasn't slandered, which i'm going to bet he was, the fact is what he said was true.

Black people used to be slaves - this is a fact - the point he was making is they are still slaves now because of what the government has done to them. Clearly that's all he was trying to say... I did not get the impression he was being racist.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    So let's say he wasn't slandered, which i'm going to bet he was, the fact is what he said was true.

Black people used to be slaves - this is a fact - the point he was making is they are still slaves now because of what the government has done to them. Clearly that's all he was trying to say... I did not get the impression he was being racist.
    It wasn't racist; it was definitely not PC, but it wasn't racist, either.

Comparing physical bondage to welfarism, however, is ridiculous. It's the difference between a water pistol and a Desert Eagle.

If you escape from one, you get a nice house in the suburbs. If you escape from the other, you're kidnapped and return to your master.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Put the shovel down and stop digging. Trying to justify these comments is a lose-lose situation. The issue that put Bundy in the news had nothing to do with slavery or race.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    It wasn't racist; it was definitely not PC, but it wasn't racist, either.

Comparing physical bondage to welfarism, however, is ridiculous. It's the difference between a water pistol and a Desert Eagle.

If you escape from one, you get a nice house in the suburbs. If you escape from the other, you're kidnapped and return to your master.
    That's where I disagree. It all leads to the same place ultimately. Sure, slavery is more brutal and grueling, but the generational poverty perpetrated by the welfare state often leads to life shortening factors like incarceration, family negligence and other grave social ills. The welfare mentality is far more subtle but it's still destroying generations of African Americans.
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-24-2014 at 09:25 PM.

BTW, I couldn't care less about him using the word 'negro'.

Been part of my vocabulary ever since!
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Usually, when Sowell and others are talking about blacks being better off under slavery than under welfare, they're talking about the stability of the family. Nobody in their right mind would honestly say that slavery, which is the equivalent to being jailed for no just cause at all, is better than welfarism.

There is a massive gulf between the two ideas, and they need to stop being conflated.
    Perhaps it is a matter of perspective, but I tend to subscribe to an idea that, to borrow an old quote:

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    If indeed we were witnessing public auctions of human life, the physical whips that break a man's body, and the chains that physically bind him, then it would be far too easy to label what we continue to see in society as 'slavery.' But the slavery of the 21st century is far more subtle and therefore all the more sinister.

In the antebellum period, in southern states, it was as punishable a crime to teach a slave to read than it was to arm that slave with a firearm. You might say, 'well, what is the harm in learning to read? Why is the sentence for giving a slave a firearm as strict as teaching a slave to read? Could they not do more harm with firearms?'

The answer: Knowledge sets a man free. Mental slavery is the key to maintaining control.

Give a man a firearm and without the knowledge that he is enslaved, and he might as well be armed with mittens, for he will do nothing to free himself from a state of obliviousness. But at that very moment a man is capable of recognizing he is enslaved, all he then needs are the tools to free himself. From the moment of his mind's awakening, he is a true threat to power.

What pisses me off the most is that only blacks are capable of making this argument in front of blacks. ANY time it comes from a white man, such as Bundy, it becomes an issue of race rather than intellectual debate.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-24-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    That's where I disagree. It all leads to the same place ultimately. Sure, slavery is more brutal and grueling, but the generational poverty perpetrated by the welfare state often leads to life shortening factors like incarceration, family negligence and other grave social ills. The welfare mentality is far more subtle but it's still destroying generations of African Americans.
    But they still have their own free will. That is freaking huge.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Alex Jones stated that in the 1930s the resident black populations had a LOWER CRIME RATE (before the CRA I might add) than their white counterparts. Fast forward to 2014 and their crime statistics are nothing less than an epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Alex Jones stated that in the 1930s the resident black populations had a LOWER CRIME RATE (before the CRA I might add) than their white counterparts. Fast forward to 2014 and their crime statistics are nothing less than an epidemic.
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here that believes the 'Great Society' has been anything other than a disaster, but give me 2014 over the 19th Century. I can make my own path.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Put the shovel down and stop digging. Trying to justify these comments is a lose-lose situation. The issue that put Bundy in the news had nothing to do with slavery or race.
    True, it's lose-lose, but not because the comments were undefendable. Bundy erred (as he is rancher, not a media-saavy politician or pundit) by parking the conversation back in race-land. Regardless of the merits, the cultural left and MSM control the framework on such issues like they're the crown jewels. The "whites who insensitively touch on race/welfare = backward racists and rubes" meme is the chief club they use to control the perceived mainstream, or to marginalize/blackout discussion of anything else.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here that believes the 'Great Society' has been anything other than a disaster, but give me 2014 over the 19th Century. I can make my own path.
    I think there are pros and cons to both eras. What I was trying to state is that something transformative happened along the way. The cultural fabric that defined African Americans was altered in some way from 1930s and on. We're talking about a stark difference in behavior in a very short amount of time. At one time, blacks on average were less belligerent and more law abiding than Whites!!
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    True, it's lose-lose, but not because the comments were undefendable. Bundy erred (as he is rancher, not a media-saavy politician or pundit) by parking the conversation back in race-land. Regardless of the merits, the cultural left and MSM control the framework on such issues like they're the crown jewels. The "whites who insensitively touch on race/welfare = backward racists and rubes" meme is the chief club they use to control the perceived mainstream, or to marginalize/blackout discussion of anything else.
    All true, but if we fail to continue to support this man (especially now) we are sending the message that it's fine (and approved by us) to grab the land and/or harass, by media and Federal government agencies, anyone for Liberal-sanctioned thought-crimes and words. That's a really bad message to send. We cannot back down.

Remember, they think all of us are just as bad, or worse. Harry Reid recently called us "domestic terrorists".

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Well maybe I am wrong, but I thought that slaves were often sold away from their families. So to me, the discussion (as absolutely absurd as it is) is as far as families go, the welfare state breaks them up just like slavery did.
    You are correct, that did happen. Sowell and others who have made that argument state (and seem to have evidence to prove this assertion) that the black family has been divided even more effectively under the welfare state than it was under slavery.

My point, which probably wasn't made well, was that there is a massive gulf between saying the unity of the black family has been assaulted to a greater degree under welfarism than slavery and saying that blacks were better off under slavery; people who bring this issue up tend to drift from the former idea and jump right into the latter. It's entirely wrong, and is a dumb thing to say.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 04-25-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

*“So @SenRandPaul took 12 hours to condemn Bundy’s racist rant. 12 hours. I dunno about him, but my outrage was pretty instant,” Elleithee wrote.

How much meth does this guy put in his breakfast cereal bowl to able to respond to every newspaper article in the country with his third party opinion within 12 hours?

Weigel and his Journo-list friends have already declared war on Rand. They are TRYING to wrangle him into racial topics!!!! It's all they have to smear him!

RAND, FOR THE LOVE OF THE CREATOR PLEASE STOP FALLING FOR IT!! A bunch of Israel-firsters in 'DC journalism' have made it clear they will do everything they can to bring you down. There was a post on RPF earlier about Rand's office being the first called by the NYT after they edited the video, seeking comment. STOP BEING REACTIONARY! YOU WILL BE ABOVE IT BY WAITING FOR THE WHOLE PICTURE TO COME OUT AND YOUR OFFICE STAFF BETTER THINK THE SAME!
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The comment above mine on facebook saying 'although Bundy's comments were racist,his property rights still need to be protected' got 259 thumbs up.Mine saying that Bundy was making an anti-government point and that it's a shame supposedly intelligent people can't stand up to this race baiting catch-all crap,got none.Anyone who hears his comments or reads the transcript can see what he is saying INCLUDING Rand Paul.If your leaders don't stand up to this most often used statist tool,who the feck will?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    He never said that, please watch what he said in it's entirety. If anything, he is inarticulate, and old dude using old terminology and old analogies:

I agree with Brian's assessment here as well:

Edit: I didn't post the tube. Posted now.
    Smh. "The nigga" "They abort their children" He asked were they better off. Are you really defending this person? Whatevs

The 'They' are the government.Can't you understand English?

Smh. "The nigga" "They abort their children" He asked were they better off. Are you really defending this person? Whatevs
    Not for the words he said, no. For his right to say them? Yes (First Amendment). Against the abuses of government, yes....definitely.
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 04-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Not for the words he said, no. For his right to say them? Yes (First Amendment). Against the abuses of government, yes....definitely.
    + rep

What did he actually say that was racist?

Quote Originally Posted by S.Shorland View Post
    What did he actually say that was racist?
    The perception is that he inferred black people might be better off picking cotton and he called them negroes. All people heard was negro and cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    You are correct, that did happen. Sowell and others who have made that argument state (and seem to have evidence to prove this assertion) that the black family has been divided even more effectively under the welfare state than it was under slavery.

My point, which probably wasn't made well, was that there is a massive gulf between saying the unity of the black family has been assaulted to a greater degree under welfarism than slavery and saying that blacks were better off under slavery; people who bring this issue up tend to drift from the former idea and jump right into the latter. It's entirely wrong, and is a dumb thing to say.

I agree. But we spent enough time dealing with Ron's newsletters that we should already know how this is going to go. The left isn't looking to be ideologically consistent and therefore they don't care what Harry Reid said. They aren't looking to build strong families, so they don't care if underlying statistics support even a fraction of the point Bundy was trying to make.

They know only that he just handed them a bludgeon, and they will absolutely use it to beat him to death with it.

But there is a ray of hope in this, and that is seeing neocons like Pat Dollard who were happy to throw Ron under the bus now supporting Bundy for worse.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I think we need to seriously consider going after reporters with agendas, using their comments sections, and emailing/twittering them directly. They should be exposed.
    Good idea

Lets start writing strongly worded letters and end this travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Maybe Perry can invite Bundy out hunting at "Niggerhead".
    Birds of a feather lynch together.*

*this was an attempt at humor and I am not saying the Perry and Bundy are racist, but they might be pretty racist.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast