Thread: Independent review of homicides involving cops.

Independent review of homicides involving cops.

Wisconsin becomes first state in nation to require independent review of police caused homicide.

Gov. Walker signs bill setting up independent review of officer-involved deaths

MADISON (WKOW) -- Wisconsin made history Wednesday, becoming the first state in the nation to require an independent review of all police officer-involved deaths.*

Governor Walker signed legislation that requires every officer-involved death in the state to be investigated by members of an outside law enforcement agency.*

Several high-profile incidents sparked an outcry from the families of loved ones who died at the hands of police.

In Madison, there were three such incidents over the course of 11 months during 2012-13.

The most controversial came on November 9th, 2012, when Madison Police Officer Stephen Heimsness shot and killed 30 year-old Paul Heenan on the city's east side.*

Heenan drunkenly tried to enter the home of a neighbor and Officer Heimsness responded to the report of a burglar.*

In the misunderstanding that ensued, Heimsness shot and killed the unarmed Heenan, saying Heenan had tried to reach for his service weapon.*

Madison Police and the Dane County District Attorney ruled the shooting was justified.*

"The police are allowed to do this and previously they weren't even questioned, we couldn't even question them, because they would investigate themselves and that was wrong," said John Heenan, Paul Heenan's father.

Heenan's parents joined family members of other victims at the Capitol to celebrate the bill's signing. **

The law makes a key change to the way such officer-involved deaths are investigated.

"That the lead investigator be from outside the department, with a secondary investigator from outside the department," said Rep. Chris Taylor (D-Madison), who co-authored the legislation along with Rep. Garey Bies (R-Sister Bay).

"When my son was killed, we didn't have the luxury of what this bill affords right now," said Michael Bell, whose son of the same name died in 2004, after a Kenosha police officer shot him in the head after a traffic stop.

Bell has devoted much of the past decade to establishing an unbiased review of such incidents.

"We feel that this is something that our forefathers would have prescribed, because it provided checks and balances and provides a little bit of oversight," said Bell.

Rep. Taylor says the law contains other important provisions.

"The bill also makes sure that the families get information, about what their options are," said Rep. Taylor.* "It makes sure that any report that is done, if there's no charges brought, gets released to the public."

Paul Heenan's mother says she hopes the law ensures that others won't have to endure what she has over the past 18 months.

"Are we separate from the police?* They made us feel that way," said Dorie Heenan.* "A bill like this can maybe bring us back together."
    Continued at site link. Video at link.
    http://www.wkow.com/story/25320333/2...nvolved-deaths
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Not intentionally malevolent."- fraternal benevolent police brotherhood of safety first and something something
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

I don't expect this to change anything, but I thought it worth noting.

--------------------------------

Related thread.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...to-wrong-house
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

Want to know how effective this law will be? Not very, it seems.

MADISON (WKOW)-- Local law enforcement officers praised new legislation requiring independent reviews of officer-involved deaths.

In Dane County, many law enforcement agencies already use outside resources for officer-involved shootings but they often rely on the Sheriff’s Department for those investigations. Now, county departments plan to share the responsibility.

“We decided in Dane County what we would do is take investigators from all different departments in the county and bring them together to make an investigative cadre and that way no department is over taxed since we're all going to do this with and for each other,” said Sue Riseling, the UW-Madison Police Chief.

That county group will handle officer involved shootings, deaths in the jail and officer involved vehicular deaths.
    Story continued at link. Video at link.
    http://www.wkow.com/story/25325648/2...lved-death-law

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Want to know how effective this law will be? Not very, it seems.

Story continued at link. Video at link.
    http://www.wkow.com/story/25325648/2...lved-death-law
    I'm sure the honorable people in these departments won't let any abuse slip by them.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm sure the honorable people in these departments won't let any abuse slip by them.
    They can all get together and trade PBA cards.

Peace.

Good idea in theory, however it seems to have been designed to serve as a placater in regards to just-us abuses.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Expecting the police to police the police..........What could go wrong?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Expecting the police to police the police..........What could go wrong?
    Just another layer of justification. Useless review board is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Just another layer of justification. Useless review board is useless.
    I'm sure it will sound good in the courts. "This officer execution, er.. shooting was reviewed and found to be justified and according to protocol your honor".
    "The Patriarch"

"Are we separate from the police?* They made us feel that way," said Dorie Heenan.* "A bill like this can maybe bring us back together."

Sounds like they're in the bargaining stage.
    It's actually quite heartening to know that they're halfway to accepting the true nature of their relationship.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Sounds like they're in the bargaining stage.
    It's actually quite heartening to know that they're halfway to accepting the true nature of their relationship.[/COLOR]
    It took the execution of their loved ones, to get them to that point. I'm not hopeful.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Governor Walker signed legislation that requires every officer-involved death in the state to be investigated by members of an outside law enforcement agency.*
    Translation: the fix is in with some nice window dressing.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Peace.