Thread: Rand Paul op-ed in National Review responds to foreign policy critics

Rand Paul op-ed in National Review responds to foreign policy critics

Buckley’s Realist Foreign Policy
    Is there no room for his views in today’s conservative camp?

By Sen. Rand Paul
    APRIL 22, 2014 1:00 PM

The knives are out for conservatives who dare question unlimited involvement in foreign wars.

Foreign policy, the interventionist critics claim, has no place for nuance or realism. You are either for us or against us. No middle ground is acceptable. The Wilsonian ideologues must have democracy worldwide now and damn all obstacles to that utopia. I say sharpen your knives, because the battle once begun will not end easily.

Conservatives who want to read libertarian conservatives out of the movement should re-read some old copies of National Review first.

From Frank Meyer to William F. Buckley Jr. to George Will — indeed to Ronald Reagan — there is a strain of libertarianism endemic to conservatism.

Meyer, in fact, averred that conservatism needed a dose of libertarianism. He argued that traditional conservatism actually comes out a bit stale without a twist of freedom. Virtue needs a dash of liberty to refresh and excite the populace.

On foreign policy, even National Review’s founder William F. Buckley Jr. occasionally expressed views today’s NRO writers might find heretical.

read more:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-sen-rand-paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand is talking about Rich Lowry here, who took over for Buckley as the editor of National Review.

So as today’s young aspiring Buckleyites sharpen their knives to carve up conservatives who propose a more realist and nuanced approach to foreign policy, they should realize they’re also pointing daggers at some of their own.
    He wrote a scathing column about Rand last week.

Oooh that's a good op ed. Love the part about the neocons saying the government can't run Amtrak but it can run the middle east lol

Good article.

Love it!

I hate to jump the gun here, but I think Rand Paul just destroyed the neocons in a guest post at National Review. He took their Wilsonian noses and rubbed them up against quotes from their own hero, William F. Buckley, founder of National Review...

http://iroots.org/2014/04/22/did-ran...y-the-neocons/
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

Kudos for NR for printing it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Kudos for NR for printing it.

this
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, and there is a poll for support for rand.
    be sure to visit the page.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Goddam, that is a strong op-ed.

Seems they have added the requirement that you provide an email to vote.

Make sure to verify your emails guys.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-22-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Hrm, I got a message that my vote would not be counted until I verified the email.
    Yes, I just changed my post. Darn you and your fast fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Make sure to verify your emails guys.

thanks for the heads up.

awesome
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

bump.

Great article. Comments are leaning Rand... Here's what I posted:

As an Iraq War Veteran, I have supported Ron Paul and WILL support Rand Paul. Our fight is here at home. Our foriegn interventionism is the REAL isolationism. Meddling in the internal affairs of nations, supporting (and in many cases instigating) military coups, assassinations, drone killings, billions in foreign aid to brutal dictators around the world, Operation Ajax.... These things are what isolates and distances us from the rest of the world. We have a massive ever-exapnding government, soaring entitlement costs, and a never-ending national debt. Let's take care of our own problems before we claim the moral authority to be the world police.

The Neocons are the isolationists, not the other way around.

A conservative foreign policy would in no way be isolationist. We would engage nations with talk and trade, diplomatically and legally... using military force as a last resort and only if constitutionally authorized.

Why is this such a hard concept?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Voted and verified e-mail.

Current tally:

Do you support Rand Paul?

Yes 67.01% (132 votes)

No 24.87% (49 votes)

Don't know enough yet 8% (16 votes)

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    PEOPLE!!! There is a poll!!!!

http://www.donotlink.com/www.nationa...-sen-rand-paul

Seems they have added the requirement that you provide an email to vote.
    bump for link

e-mail verification of vote is simple and makes it harder for RP haters to claim poll manipulation

So please spread the word and get all the Liberty people you know to vote!

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Rand is talking about Rich Lowry here, who took over for Buckley as the editor of National Review.

He wrote a scathing column about Rand last week.
    Rand certainly hit a walk off homer with this little op-ed.

I particularly love that he
    a.) selected the National Review as publisher

b.) used the public statements of the magazine's founder, William F. Buckley, to highlight just how unconservative the neocon/hawk view of foreign policy is and

c.) made it crystal clear to the neocon Establishment that if they continue their transparently false and demagogic attacks against Rand, that he will not hesitate for a single second to engage them full-on (which both sides know means a loss in 2016 and quite possibly, the end of the GOP as a national party).

And he did all of that without sounding angry, mad or bothered by any of the recent attacks they've been hurling against him.

#PureUnadulteratedBOSS

At the time of my vote:

Yes 69.74% (189 votes)

No 22.88% (62 votes)

Don't know enough yet 7.38% (20 votes)

Total Votes: 271

I added this just to piss off the neocons:

It's been posted already, but it bears repeating. Ron Paul received more campaign contributions from retired and active service members than all GOP candidates and Obama combined. When Rand runs... I would bet my trigger finger he gets the same military and veteran support.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

- Diogenes of Sinope