Thread: Michigan Affirmative Action Case

Michigan Affirmative Action Case

Rand needs to come out and disagree with a portion of this ruling. It outlaws affirmation action usage for private schools.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I could be wrong but I took the decision to mean that SCOTUS ruled that Michigan could have a state law that outlaws affirmative action for private schools which, constitutionally speaking, would seem to be the right decision...even if you don't agree with a state outlawing a private institution's use of affirmative action. Just basically means the federal govt won't intercede.

U of M isn't really private, is it?

I thought the law dealt with private schools as well but that's not the case. Ironically, I don't think private colleges are allowed to have affirmative action with this ruling and how federal law is set. I think Cato Institute discussed this over a decade ago. Talk about a double edged sword.

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...rmative-action

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Burke View Post
    I thought the law dealt with private schools as well but that's not the case. Ironically, I don't think private colleges are allowed to have affirmative action with this ruling and how federal law is set. I think Cato Institute discussed this over a decade ago. Talk about a double edged sword.

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...rmative-action
    If they do not accept federal money they are not required to adhere to the law.

The problem with Rand taking a stance on this issue is that it brings into the forefront his heretical comments on the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Furthermore, because the law in question only bans affirmative action in public universities, to be consistent Rand would need to be in FAVOR of the ruling, since he has previously stated that he supports those portions of the CRA that ban discrimination in government hiring.

The only thing the ruling said is that the states have the right to ban affirmative action if they want to. It's sad that that's even controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    The only thing the ruling said is that the states have the right to ban affirmative action if they want to. It's sad that that's even controversial.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Michigan passed an amendment saying it is unlawful to discriminate based on race in state hiring or admissions. AA supporters sued under the bizarre argument that this law violated the equal protection clause because it singled them out and denied them the right to lobby the legislature for special favors based on their race.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Michigan passed an amendment saying it is unlawful to discriminate based on race in state hiring or admissions. AA supporters sued under the bizarre argument that this law violated the equal protection clause because it singled them out and denied them the right to lobby the legislature for special favors based on their race.

I think affirmative action should be opposed at all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I think affirmative action should be opposed at all levels.

From Drudge;

Here's a race baiting experts opinion;

Sharpton on SCOTUS Upholding Affirmative Action Ban: 'We Must Mobilize Immediately'

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/shar...ze-immediately

A 6-2 vote on Tuesday in the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Michigan's ban on using affirmative action for university admissions and Al Sharpton is none too happy, calling it a "devastating blow to the civil rights community" and sending out the battle cry to "mobilize immediately."

Here is Sharpton's released statement via his National Action Network:

The Supreme Court decision upholding the state of Michigan’s ban of using race as a factor in affirmative action is a devastating blow to the civil rights community. The ramifications of this will be far reaching and could tie us up in endless battles. We must mobilize immediately for state referendums to counter this decision to protect the ongoing battle to redress the historic needed repairs to racial discrimination.

The ruling simply upheld the passing of the 2006 ballot initiative of adding an amendment to the Michigan constitution that bans the practice. At that time, Sharpton voiced his opinions loudly, shouting at a rally:

If you do not keep affirmative action in place, you will not have a job at all.

Along with Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who read the minority opinion at the Supreme Court ruling, Sharpton defends affirmative action programs on the grounds of fixing racial discrimination. To that same crowd at the 2006 rally, Sharpton proclaimed:

They had laws specifically against us, which is why they have laws for us to repair the damage they did to us.