Thread: NYC Taxi Driver Dodges $28,000 In Tolls By Tailgating

NYC Taxi Driver Dodges $28,000 In Tolls By Tailgating

We've all been there: stuck in line, waiting to fork over a toll or parking fee, thinking to ourselves, "Couldn't I zip out of here, while the crossing arm is closing behind the person ahead of me? Couldn't I skip paying, just this once?"

It wouldn't work all the time, of course. If there's a human to be paid, he or she would plainly see our tailgating trick and report us before we were out of sight. But as one New York City taxi driver discovered, there are other opportunities to scam the system,*thanks to auto-pay tolls.

The driver in question is Rodolfo Sanchez of Long Island City, Queens. When crossing the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge that connects Queens to the Bronx and Manhattan, Sanchez regularly tailgated the vehicle ahead of him in the E-Z Pass lane, racing through before the barrier came down.

To avoid suspicion, Sanchez had an E-Z Pass device in his own cab, but it had expired in 2011.*Records from the defunct device show that between August 4, 2012 and March 28, 2014, Sanchez sneaked across the RFK some 3,017 times, dodging*$28,242.50 in tolls.*

Sanchez might've gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's eagle-eyed*Joseph Gugliero. Last week,*Gugliero*discovered Sanchez's E-Z Pass, which was reported lost years ago.

Sanchez says that he found the device in a cab he drove in 2010. Although he knew there were no funds in the associated E-Z Pass account, he says that he began using it to zip through E-Z Pass lanes because he needed money for his family.

On Thursday, Sanchez was charged with*third-degree grand larceny, theft of services, and criminal possession of stolen property. If convicted, he faces up to seven years in prison.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/nyc-tax...152422743.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    well with the irs and foreign aid and all....let the man go!

Poor guy.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Trying to make up for the million it costed for a medallion.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump