Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experts: Civilians not ready for EMP-caused blackout

Experts: Civilians not ready for EMP-caused blackout

http://watchdog.org/138940/solar-flare-emp/

The catastrophic effects of an electromagnetic pulse-caused blackout could be preventable, but experts warn the civilian world is still not ready.

Peter Vincent Pry, executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security and director of the U.S. Nuclear Strategy Forum, both congressional advisory boards, said the technology to avoid disaster from electromagnetic pulses exists, and upgrading the nation’s electrical grid is financially viable.

“The problem is not the technology,” Pry said. “We know how to protect against it. It’s not the money, it doesn’t cost that much. The problem is the politics. It always seems to be the politics that gets in the way.”

He said the more officials plan, the lower the estimated cost gets.

“If you do a smart plan — the Congressional EMP Commission estimated that you could protect the whole country for about $2 billion,” Pry told Watchdog.org. “That’s what we give away in foreign aid to Pakistan every year.”

In the first few minutes of an EMP, nearly half a million people would die. That’s the worst-case scenario that author William R. Forstchen estimated in 2011 would be the result of an EMP on the electric grid — whether by an act of God, or a nuclear missile detonating in Earth’s upper atmosphere.

An electromagnetic pulse is a burst of electromagnetic energy strong enough to disable, and even destroy, nearby electronic devices.

The scenario sounds like something in a Hollywood film, but the U.S. military has been preparing its electronic systems for such an event since the Cold War. The protective measures taken to harden facilities against a nuclear attack also help in some cases to protect against EMPs.

The civilian world is another story.

States have been working to fill in the legislative and regulatory gap left by Congress, as previously reported by Watchdog.org, and private companies have been developing technologies that would protect against EMPs.

In 2011, state utilities commissioners recognized the need to invest in equipment that could help protect the power grid, but experts continue to warn that time to do so is running out.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's true. About 2 years ago, some doofus at a plant accidentally caused a 2-day shut-down of the grid in San Diego county, and elsewhere, I believe. Two different neighbors came over asking for things, food, water, gas for their car, etc. We gave it to them since we're preppers and have ample stock. Both neighbors knew us and could hear our generator. We later went to Walmart to get more batteries and stock up on more wicks and oil, and they were completely out of everything to do with the shut-down.

It was a learning experience. It made us realize how invaluable security, and protecting our resources will be.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

In the first few minutes of an EMP, nearly half a million people would die. That’s the worst-case scenario that author William R. Forstchen estimated in 2011 would be the result of an EMP on the electric grid — whether by an act of God, or a nuclear missile detonating in Earth’s upper atmosphere.
    Half a million people in the first few minutes. WOW! I had no idea we had that many people on iron lungs in this country...

Well that completely discredits this scare piece.

The problem is EMP fries electronics, like cash registers and gas pumps.

This isn't some kind of invisible death ray (unless you happen to be an integrated circuit)

-t

I'm resorting to cannibalism immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Half a million people in the first few minutes. WOW! I had no idea we had that many people on iron lungs in this country...

Well that completely discredits this scare piece.

The problem is EMP fries electronics, like cash registers and gas pumps.

This isn't some kind of invisible death ray (unless you happen to be an integrated circuit)

-t
    pacemakers dude

and I wouldn't want to be in a plane, on a train, or in any other modern-day electronic vehicle either

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    pacemakers dude
    are pretty resistant.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA022886

Accession Number : ADA022886

Title : The Biological Significance of Radio-Frequency Radiation Emission on Cardiac Pacemaker Performance

Descriptive Note : Interim rept. Jan-Aug 1975

Corporate Author : SCHOOL OF AEROSPACE MEDICINE BROOKS AFB TX

Personal Author(s) : Mitchell, John C. ; Hurt, William D.

PDF Url : ADA022886

Report Date : JAN 1976

Pagination or Media Count : 23

Abstract : The effect of radiofrequency (RF) radiation emission on cardiac pacemaker function is a unique bioeffects phenomenon. Dependent of the pacemaker type and design, and on the frequency, peak E-field intensity, pulse width, and effective pulse repetition rate of the incident RF signal, the pacemaker may cut off completely, revert to a fixed interference-rejection mode of operation, experience intermittent disruption, or be totally unaffected. Experimental evidence is presented for a wide variety of tests conducted under controlled laboratory conditions and in the vicinity of numerous types of RF emitters prevalent in U.S. population centers. These test results are discussed in terms of their clinical significance, technical feasibility of designing pacemakers to avoid electromagnetic interference, and appropriate design goals to achieve overall RF environmental compatibility.

Descriptors : *PACEMAKERS, *RADIOFREQUENCY INTERFERENCE, POLARIZATION, LABORATORY TESTS, PERFORMANCE(ENGINEERING), FIELD TESTS, PUBLIC HEALTH, RADIATION EFFECTS, RADIATION HAZARDS, RADIOFREQUENCY PULSES, ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS, SIMULATION, ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

Subject Categories : Radiobiology
    Biomedical Instrumentation and Bioengineering

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

-t

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    and I wouldn't want to be in a plane, on a train, or in any other modern-day electronic vehicle either
    A plane would be a problem.

-t

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    ...we're preppers....
    Reported....

Also, Jeeps are the most practical vehicles to convert to EMP proof transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Reported....
    Yeah, prepper is just a fancy word for hoarder.
    The government doesn't want people to hoard food and fuel. They would rather we be vulnerable should there be a shortage of those items.

Reported....

Also, Jeeps are the most practical vehicles to convert to EMP proof transportation.
    We have a Suzuki Samurai . A 1990 something F450 diesel. And a 1984 ( I think) Volkswagen Jetta among our oldies but goodies. All running. My understanding is that older vehicles won't be affected by an EMP.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, prepper is just a fancy word for hoarder.
    The government doesn't want people to hoard food and fuel. They would rather we be vulnerable should there be a shortage of those items.
    For us it's more than just stockpiling food, supplies, and weapons.

[...] Pry said. “[...] It’s not the money, it doesn’t cost that much. [...]"

He said the more officials plan, the lower the estimated cost gets.

“If you do a smart plan — the Congressional EMP Commission estimated that you could protect the whole country for about $2 billion,” Pry told Watchdog.org.
    If you believe a single word of this, I have some prime ocean-front property in Wyoming you might be interested in.

Real cheap - only $2 billion, as it happens ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

We have a Suzuki Samurai . A 1990 something F450 diesel. And a 1984 ( I think) Volkswagen Jetta among our oldies but goodies. All running. My understanding is that older vehicles won't be affected by an EMP.
    I think that the wiring and electronics in most cars are protected against electromagnetic interference these days anyhow. It doesn't mean that I'm right, it's just what I think. I only mentioned the jeep because of it's mobility and the fact that they're durable.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-21-2014 at 02:18 PM.

I think that the wiring and electronics in most cars are protected electromagnetic interference these days anyhow. It doesn't mean that I'm right, it's just what I think..
    Most new cars have computers in them now. Computers won't make it with an EMP.

I only mentioned the jeep because of it's mobility and the fact that they're durable.
    Yeah that, and they're good for escaping from the bad guys in rough terrain.

"Older" means breaker point ignition or mechanically injected diesel...

To the best of my knowledge the vehicles you list are NOT EMP proof....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Bummer.

Yeah that, and they're good for escaping from the bad guys in rough terrain.
    Would be nice to have an old box truck. That would work. Maybe a 24 footer. You could stay on the road that way. Beep beep mutha $#@!aaaaa....

Would be nice to have an old box truck. That would work. Maybe a 24 footer. You could stay on the road that way. Beep beep mutha $#@!aaaaa....
    Yeah baby!!!

Bummer.
    Good news though!

Breaker point vehicles are cool and built like tanks!

are pretty resistant.
    -t
    https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...13_Article.jsp

Devices with risk

Anti-theft systems (also called electronic article surveillance or EAS): Interactions with EAS systems are unlikely to cause clinically significant symptoms in most patients. However, the American Heart Association recommends that you:

Be aware that EAS systems may be hidden or camouflaged in entrances and exits in many businesses.
    Don't stay near the EAS system longer than is necessary.
    Don't lean against the system.

Metal detectors for security: Interactions with metal detectors are unlikely to cause clinically significant symptoms in most patients. However, the American Heart Association recommends that you:

Don't stay near the metal detector longer than is necessary.
    Don't lean against the system.
    If scanning with a hand-held metal detector is necessary, tell the security personnel that you have a pacemaker. Ask them not to hold the metal detector near the device any longer than is absolutely necessary. Or ask for an alternative form of personal search.

Cell phones: Currently, phones available in the United States (less than 3 watts) don't appear to damage pulse generators or affect how the pacemaker works.

Technology is rapidly changing as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) makes new frequencies available.
    Newer cellphones using these new frequencies might make pacemakers less reliable.
    A group of cellphone companies is studying that possibility.
    Bluetooth® headsets do not appear to interfere with pacemakers.

MP3 player headphones: Most contain a magnetic substance and research has documented that placing the headphones too close to the pacemaker caused interference.

Keep your headphones at least 1.2 inches (3 cm) away from your pacemaker.
    Never rest your head on the chest of a person with pacemaker while you're wearing headphones.
    Both the earbud and clip-on types of headphones can cause interference.
    Do not place headphones in a breast pocket or drape them over your chest.

Extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy (ESWL): a noninvasive treatment that uses hydraulic shocks to dissolve kidney stones.

This procedure may be done safely in most pacemaker patients, with some reprogramming of the pacing.
    You'll need careful follow-up after the procedure and for several months to be sure your pacemaker is working properly.
    ESWL should be avoided in patients with certain kinds of pacemakers implanted in the abdomen.
    Discuss your specific case with your doctor before and after the treatment.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): a noninvasive diagnostic tool that uses a powerful magnet to produce images of internal organs and functions.

Metal objects are attracted to the magnet and are normally not allowed near MRI machines.
    The magnet can interrupt the pacing and inhibit the output of pacemakers.
    If MRI must be done, the pacemaker output in some models can be reprogrammed.
    Discuss with your doctor the possible risks and benefits before you undergo MRI scanning.

Power-generating equipment, arc welding equipment and powerful magnets: Such as found in some medical devices, heavy equipment or motors can inhibit pulse generators.

If you work closely with or near such equipment, be aware of the risk that your pacemakers may not work properly in those conditions.
    Follow your healthcare provider's instructions about being around such equipment.

Radiofrequency ablation (RFA): A medical procedure that uses radio waves to manage a wide variety of arrhythmias.

RFA is usually performed before the pacemaker is implanted.
    Studies have shown that most permanent pacemakers aren't adversely affected by radio frequencies during catheter ablation.
    However, if RFA is performed with a pacemaker, a variety of changes in your pacemaker are possible during and after the treatment.
    Your doctor should carefully evaluate your pacing system after the procedure.

Short-wave or microwave diathermy: A medical procedure that uses high-frequency, high-intensity signals for physical therapy. These may bypass your pacemaker's noise protection and interfere with or permanently damage the pulse generator.

Therapeutic radiation (such as for cancer treatment): May damage the pacemaker's circuits.

The degree of damage is unpredictable and may vary with different systems.
    The risk is significant and builds up as the radiation dose increases.
    The American Heart Association recommends that the pacemaker be shielded as much as possible and moved if it lies directly in the radiation field.
    If you depend on your pacemaker for normal heart pacing, your electrocardiogram (ECG) should be monitored during the treatment, and your pulse generator should be tested often after and between radiation sessions.

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): A medical device used to relieve acute or chronic pain with electrodes placed on the skin and connected to a pulse generator.

Most studies have shown that TENS rarely inhibits bipolar pacing.
    It may sometimes briefly inhibit unipolar pacing. This can be treated by reprogramming the pulse generator
    so headphones bad... EMP no problem?

These are all natural Faraday cages. Many aircraft utilize static wicks to dissipate electricity from lighting strikes and static build up.
    Correction, Those with metal skins are natural Faraday Cages, composite and fiberglass not so much.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_discharger
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 04-21-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

One question I got is will EMP screw up electronic fuel injection? Because that appeared in cars long before the wave of computerization.

One question I got is will EMP screw up electronic fuel injection? Because that appeared in cars long before the wave of computerization.
    http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html
    This article explains alot about EMPs and tells you what electronics are and are not susceptible. Plus how to protect against an EMP.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aircraft as a Faraday Cage and Static Wicks.
    http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae568.cfm

Peace.

EMP / RFI are not the same thing by orders of magnitude.

Pacemaker wires might melt with an EMP (or at least blow the electronic circuit they are attached to).

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post

so headphones bad... EMP no problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    EMP / RFI are not the same thing by orders of magnitude.

Pacemaker wires might melt with an EMP (or at least blow the electronic circuit they are attached to).
    Agree that a emp might fry a chip, but these are shielded against this. Ditto, could melt a wire. But EMP's are fast.

Wires are also called something else: "antennas". A magnet driving a random EM signal could, over time, en-train the pacemaker signal and drive the heart into v-fib.

at least in theory. I'm no expert here.

It's also my understanding that most pacemakers monitor and shock as needed, while the minority deliver a continual pulse. ie: it's probably going to be off when a emp hit, but you might loose the built in defib monitor and shock capability. in both the abstract/paper I found and the medical device interaction thing you found, the results were usually the device is not effected or you skip a beat or two. it fries seems to be the exception to the rule.

-t

It's true. About 2 years ago, some doofus at a plant accidentally caused a 2-day shut-down of the grid in San Diego county, and elsewhere, I believe. Two different neighbors came over asking for things, food, water, gas for their car, etc. We gave it to them since we're preppers and have ample stock. Both neighbors knew us and could hear our generator. We later went to Walmart to get more batteries and stock up on more wicks and oil, and they were completely out of everything to do with the shut-down.

It was a learning experience. It made us realize how invaluable security, and protecting our resources will be.

After Hurricane Ike some areas in Houston were without power for weeks and most areas for days. The lines at the FEMA trucks were ridiculous...of course that was after it took them several days to set get completely set up to give out water and MREs. A LOT of people in large urban areas are totally unprepared. We went to Sam's the day before it hit and stocked up on everything including bags and bags of ice. We filled up both cars but because I work for the company that manages our apartments I was unable to leave town and my husband works for a hospital and is on the emergency response team for disasters so he couldnt leave either. As it turned out we were without power for 5 days but we did okay, besides sweltering in the heat, because we had other supplies as well. I would not want to be here if all those people were unable to get assistance. (Thank goodness for the Red Cross and churches because you really do not want to depend on FEMA). One of the grocery stores in our neighborhood set up a big bbq pit in the parking lot and grilled up all their meat and poultry perishables and fed anyone who wanted it until they ran out and some places that had minimal power served free coffee since there was no way to pay for anything unless you had cash. There were stories like that all over town. My son didn't get gas and had to wait in a line of about 50 cars to get a 2 gallon container of gas.

I would think that figure is transportation mishaps, planes fall out of the sky, buses cars trucks and trains all crash. I believe it.

I have a Samurai too. Great little truck.

The jetta is mechanical injection and would run. Might not shut off, the shutoff solenoid might get fried. Worst case, you would have to open the hood to shut it off by hand.

The Samurai might run. The ignition module might survive might not. The primitive ECU they have would fry but the carb can run without it. You can get a points distributor for Samurais from an old Suzuki SJ410 that is a bolt in. I have been meaning to get one as a spare just in case for my Samurai.

I don't know much about the Ford.

Yes anything from mid 80's up that is electronically fuel injected will not run after a direct hit from an EMP. There will always be exceptions, some might be in a place that is well shielded and still run.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Great show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast