Thread: 43-year-old retired NYC cop murders wife in front of kids

43-year-old retired NYC cop murders wife in front of kids

A former cop was charged with murder on Sunday after he allegedly shot his wife 10 times in front of their two young children as they watched in horror, prosecutors said.

Kevin Canty, 43, shot his wife, Jessica, 40, once in the stomach, twice in her right arm, three times in her chest and four times in her right armpit at their 104th Street home in Ozone Park, Queens, according to prosecutors.

The maniacal former cop confessed to police and said he was distraught because his wife was cheating on him.

“I’m sorry,” Canty said according to court documents. “I love my wife but she was cheating on me and she’s a whore.”

After the fatal shooting, a neighbor saw the couple’s terrified children, a 4-year-old girl and an 8-year-old boy, run from the house toward a nearby deli screaming, “Daddy shot Mommy!”

Neighbors also said they could hear the woman shouting before she was shot, “No! No! No!”

After she fell, Canty stood over her and kept firing, a law-enforcement source said.

Jessica died in the ambulance as medics were taking her to Jamaica Hospital.

Canty was nabbed by police after he tried to steal someone’s car on Pitkin Avenue near 97th Street and had a long drawn-out argument with the victim over whose car it was, according to police sources.

“No, it isn’t. It’s my car,” Canty said repeatedly, according to sources.

When the victim of the attempted carjacking finally called police, cops realized she’d been talking to Canty.

Police rushed to the scene, tackled him, and found the 9mm Smith & Wesson in his waistband, officials said.

There were six bullets left in the weapon.

“He’s clearly not in his right mind,” a police source said. “He’s a bit deranged.”

Canty was then hauled to the 102nd Precinct where he confessed to shooting his wife but repeatedly said “She’s not dead. She’s not dead,” sources said.

The former officer joined the NYPD in 1994, and retired on disability last May, sources said.

He was receiving two-thirds of his salary in his pension. It was not disclosed what type of disability he had.
    cont.
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/20/former-...hed-officials/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope there's some sane family to take the poor kids in...

That is very sad. May he get what's coming to him. I don't like to generalize as much as the next person, but his mentality is not uncommon in the ranks of police.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

*SIGH* So he was so concerned that his wife was cheating on him and he shot her right in front of their children, that he obviously wasn't even thinking about. Such a selfish act. What a shame for the children.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Kevin Canty, 43, shot his wife, Jessica, 40, once in the stomach, twice in her right arm, three times in her chest and four times in her right armpit at their 104th Street home in Ozone Park, Queens, according to prosecutors
    Why we need to limit mags to 7 bullets.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

After the fatal shooting, a neighbor saw the couple’s terrified children, a 4-year-old girl and an 8-year-old boy, run from the house toward a nearby deli screaming, “Daddy shot Mommy!”
    That should be alleged daddy. I hope the pig finds out that the children were never his to begin with.

He was receiving two-thirds of his salary in his pension. It was not disclosed what type of disability he had.
    Happy ending for tax payers?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Case closed
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Case closed
    What if people kill people and mental health care is incompetent? What does this position do then?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Brown View Post
    What if people kill people and mental health care is incompetent? What does this position do then?
    We need to limit Psych Wards to 7 clinicians.

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    We need to limit Psych Wards to 7 clinicians.
    And no automatic prescription. But wtf is with aGameOfThrones and Pericles? Why can't they answer for their position?

And what is with the ambiguity of Origanalist? Mental?
    Last edited by Christopher A. Brown; 04-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Happy ending for tax payers?
    ...What makes you think he's not going to continue to draw that salary now?

I'd bet the farm that the taxpayers are also going to be footing the bill for a grade-A defense lawyer for this guy now, too. Plus all the bureaucrat drones who need to fill out retroactive paperwork showing he was retired on a mental disability, so as to get him off the hook.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

And no automatic prescription. But wtf is with aGameOfThrones and Pericles? Why can't they answer for their position?

You are probably misunderstanding their positions, and asking them to answer for positions they do not recognize, and then with the lot of us winking and nodding at the misunderstanding like an inside joke, it probably looked even more confusing.

He fired 10 rounds, which means that if he obeyed the NY SAFE Act, he would have had to reload, and his wife could have escaped because she would have only been shot 7 times. Oh wait, that law does not apply to the police, because they are the only ones who are trained in the proper use of firearms. All those laws really helped that victim - NOT.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    He fired 10 rounds, which means that if he obeyed the NY SAFE Act, he would have had to reload, and his wife could have escaped because she would have only been shot 7 times. Oh wait, that law does not apply to the police, because they are the only ones who are trained in the proper use of firearms. All those laws really helped that victim - NOT.
    You are evading the mental health issue.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mental health care is incompetent, and people do kill people. All the more reason to have no fewer than thirty rounds at all times.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Mental health care is incompetent, and people do kill people. All the more reason to have no fewer than thirty rounds at all times.
    Indeed, if the population evades the mental health care issue, it is a VERY dangerous world and perhaps your measures are not enough.

Consider gangs and home invasion fueled by drug addiction, something curable if survival instincts exist in drug addicts. In the case of incompetent mental health care enforced by the evasive public, perhaps homeowners or lessees should be allowed fully automatic weapons with maximum magazine capacity.

Indeed, if the population evades the mental health care issue, it is a VERY dangerous world and perhaps your measures are not enough.

Consider gangs and home invasion fueled by drug addiction, something curable if survival instincts exist in drug addicts. In the case of incompetent mental health care enforced by the evasive public, perhaps homeowners or lessees should be allowed fully automatic weapons with maximum magazine capacity.
    If we accept the necessity of regulating firearm ownership for mental illness, who gets to say whom is a danger to themselves and others? Is that not exactly how the Soviet Union crushed dissent, by diagnosing it as lunacy and institutionalizing open dissenters behind closed doors.

So is it a list of diseases, or a list of names? Who gets to decide whose name goes on the gunless list?

Anyone else wondering how a 43 year old is able to retire on 2/3rds salary?

LibForestPaul

23 start service. 20 yrs. Median pay $80k, retirement pension $40k, on taxpayer dime. Till the day he dies. With medical.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post

If we accept the necessity of regulating firearm ownership for mental illness, who gets to say whom is a danger to themselves and others? Is that not exactly how the Soviet Union crushed dissent, by diagnosing it as lunacy and institutionalizing open dissenters behind closed doors.

So is it a list of diseases, or a list of names? Who gets to decide whose name goes on the gunless list?
    So, what if we see a correlation between PTSD and SSRI and say, "anyone who has ever received an SSRI for PTSD can no longer own a gun?" You have now effectively disarmed half of your combat veterans, and most likely the exact half that would have resisted naked tyranny. That's what the NRA endorsed that made me burn my lifetime membership card. We called it "The Veterans Disarmament Act."