Thread: The United States of SWAT?

Exclamation The United States of SWAT?

When you lose the National Review "law and order" crowd, you've, well, lost.

Maybe we can turn this around.

The United States of SWAT?

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...swat-john-fund

Regardless of how people feel about Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy’s standoff with the federal Bureau of Land Management over his cattle’s grazing rights, a lot of Americans were surprised to see TV images of an armed-to-the-teeth paramilitary wing of the BLM deployed around Bundy’s ranch.

They shouldn’t have been. Dozens of federal agencies now have Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams to further an expanding definition of their missions. It’s not controversial that the Secret Service and the Bureau of Prisons have them. But what about the Department of Agriculture, the Railroad Retirement Board, the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Office of Personnel Management, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service? All of these have their own SWAT units and are part of a worrying trend towards the militarization of federal agencies — not to mention local police forces.

“Law-enforcement agencies across the U.S., at every level of government, have been blurring the line between police officer and soldier,” journalist Radley Balko writes in his 2013 book Rise of the Warrior Cop. “The war on drugs and, more recently, post-9/11 antiterrorism efforts have created a new figure on the U.S. scene: the warrior cop — armed to the teeth, ready to deal harshly with targeted wrongdoers, and a growing threat to familiar American liberties.”

The proliferation of paramilitary federal SWAT teams inevitably brings abuses that have nothing to do with either drugs or terrorism. Many of the raids they conduct are against harmless, often innocent, Americans who typically are accused of non-violent civil or administrative violations.

Take the case of Kenneth Wright of Stockton, Calif., who was “visited” by a SWAT team from the U.S. Department of Education in June 2011. Agents battered down the door of his home at 6 a.m., dragged him outside in his boxer shorts, and handcuffed him as they put his three children (ages 3, 7, and 11) in a police car for two hours while they searched his home. The raid was allegedly intended to uncover information on Wright’s estranged wife, Michelle, who hadn’t been living with him and was suspected of college financial-aid fraud.

The year before the raid on Wright, a SWAT team from the Food and Drug Administration raided the farm of Dan Allgyer of Lancaster, Pa. His crime was shipping unpasteurized milk across state lines to a cooperative of young women with children in Washington, D.C., called Grass Fed on the Hill. Raw milk can be sold in Pennsylvania, but it is illegal to transport it across state lines. The raid forced Allgyer to close down his business.

Brian Walsh, a senior legal analyst with the Heritage Foundation, says it is inexplicable why so many federal agencies need to be battle-ready: “If these agencies occasionally have a legitimate need for force to execute a warrant, they should be required to call a real law-enforcement agency, one that has a better sense of perspective. The FBI, for example, can draw upon its vast experience to determine whether there is an actual need for a dozen SWAT agents.”

Since 9/11, the feds have issued a plethora of homeland-security grants that encourage local police departments to buy surplus military hardware and form their own SWAT units. By 2005, at least 80 percent of towns with a population between 25,000 and 50,000 people had their own SWAT team. The number of raids conducted by local police SWAT teams has gone from 3,000 a year in the 1980s to over 50,000 a year today.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-20-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think that history moves on its own accord, but it is also influenced by people. I think the wheel is turning in the inevitable force of history. Things reach a pinnacle and then move in the other direction. The US, for example, was moving up until 1960, and now it's moving down. Asia is now rising.

All of the was bound to turn the other way. People however, will influence the speed and how happens. Bundy could be a casualty or he could reign victorious. A militia man might take a bullet, or he might live to remember how he delivered one. Some government agents will continue to go home safely, but it's just a matter of time before the first one suffers the consequence of treating a human being or dog as a character in a video game.

The Interior Department currently plans to implement its solar energy zones on a wide scale. It might be described as a way to be less dependent on foreign resources; however, it can't, in any way, return us to the glory days that some envision. No amount of militarization of three letter agencies will achieve that. Not by a long shot.

I really see this energy effort as a last gasp effort that is doomed to fail on balance. That is not to say that solar energy is misguided; however, if people think they'll maintain the same lifestyle they had with fossil energy, then they're in for a rude awakening. You simply can't take concrete and urbanize every square mile without some consequence. The fallout of dependence created by such urbanization will dwarf the current dependence on foreign sources of energy.

I don't mean to get off track because I think there is definitely serious conflict ahead. This is where people come in to influence history. The militarization of order enforcement (law enforcement became obsolete long ago) will be the solution for those who want to maintain the past, especially that of foreign interference. Another faction that envisions alternative energy will promote a slightly different order by attempting to corral people into smaller areas. The solar energy initiative does this very thing on a large scale, while the so-called smart meter is an example on a micro scale.

There are other factions too, but that is a discussion for a different thread. Pretty hard to say how it all ends. Interesting times we live in, for sure.

Brian Walsh, a senior legal analyst with the Heritage Foundation, says it is inexplicable why so many federal agencies need to be battle-ready: “If these agencies occasionally have a legitimate need for force to execute a warrant, they should be required to call a real law-enforcement agency, one that has a better sense of perspective. The FBI, for example, can draw upon its vast experience to determine whether there is an actual need for a dozen SWAT agents.”
    Da fuq is this guy yapping about? The FBI has a "better sense of perspective" ... ?
    And "vast experience" in determining "whether there is an actual need for" brute-squad stormtroopers ... ?

I rebut thusly: Waco.

'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-20-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

...SWAT...
    Can we go back to calling them "death squads?"

Long ago Daryl Gates re-branded them "Swat teams" for the domestic market to further humiliate us.

If they had not changed the name to "swat" teams, then it probably would never have occurred to them to start calling what's left of us "bug-splat" like they do nowadays. As human rights lawyer Jennifer Robinson explains:

As I landed at Heathrow, thousands of miles away from the dirt road where Tariq and Waheed now lay dead, a CIA operative in northern Virginia will have reported "bugsplat". Bugsplat is the official term used by US authorities when humans are killed by drone missiles. The existence of children's computer games of the same name may lead one to think that the PlayStation analogy with drone warfare is taken too far. But it is deliberately employed as a psychological tactic to dehumanise targets so operatives overcome their inhibition to kill; and so the public remains apathetic and unmoved to act. Indeed, the phrase has far more sinister origins and historical use: In dehumanising their Pakistani targets, the US resorts to Nazi semantics. Their targets are not just computer game-like targets, but pesky or harmful bugs that must be killed.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...839153400.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bohringer View Post
    Why yes, yes we can.

Considering that foreign policy related fears are being used to erect a massive police state around average mundane joes and it may sound like an unfair question but can above question be framed in another way as a root cause relationship phenomenon:

The United States of Karma?

These are police news related thread titles posted on just the first page of this forum right now, courtesy of other forum members:

Who Will Protect You from the Police? The Rise of Government-Sanctioned Home Invasions

Family Says Moore Police Beat Father To Death
    Police Kill Man in Drug Raid [video]
    MT-SWAT grenades home, make no arrests and badly burn 12 year old girl in the process.
    Father Of 8 Dies Of Heart Attack After NYPD Break Into The Wrong House
    Invasion of the Body Searchers: The Loss of Bodily Integrity in an Emerging Police State
    NC Family Calls Police For Help w/ Schizophrenic Son; They Shoot and Kill HimCop Who Raped Woman Calls His Prison Sentence 'An Injustice'

This is a sampling of recent events funded by American tax payers:

Afghanistan Controversy: Karzai Warns US over Night Raids ...
    Dec 5, 2011 - Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai wants the US to cease carrying out night raids in his country. And he is willing to risk damaging relations ...

Obama Rejects Karzai Demands to Curb Home Raids
    online.wsj.com/.../SB1000142405274870444430...‎The Wall Street Journal
    Nov 22, 2010 -... Obama Rejects Push From Karzai to Reduce Raids in Afghan..

SWC Drone King's Victims Diaries I
    SWC Drone King's Victims Diaries II

To measure karma unfairness meter, what percentage of the people being police-stated/groped/swated supported neither SWC Bush nor SWC drobebag's policies?

It seems like Balko's efforts in exposing this abuse is paying off.

Since 9/11, the feds have issued a plethora of homeland-security grants that encourage local police departments to buy surplus military hardware and form their own SWAT units. By 2005, at least 80 percent of towns with a population between 25,000 and 50,000 people had their own SWAT team. The number of raids conducted by local police SWAT teams has gone from 3,000 a year in the 1980s to over 50,000 a year today.
    Far too many.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Not that I'm a sensationalist, but doesn't, "The United SWATS of America" sound more appropriate? I mean it's for America's brainwashed and ignorance, so they can still chant, "USA, USA, USA" ...under surveillance, enslavement, and gunpoint.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 04-20-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bohringer View Post

Snip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why yes, yes we can.
    I laughed out loud...

but after some thought, I think it might just bolster that sort of thing.

I think we all know their are a lot of good men and women in our police forces all over the country. They need our support to prevail with their level-headedness in their departments. We don't need to help push people into acting in hot-bloodedness.

It seems there is enough drive to that coming from the corruption of the counterfeit I suspect.

AF, great find, and thanks for posting! I used to read National Review every once in a while, but haven't touched it for years now. Too hard on my digestion.

That being said.... WOW! If a neocon bastion such as National Review actually publishes an article stating concern about the militarization of America, then maybe - just maybe - the problem is approaching a point where it's simply too big or anyone, anywhere to ignore.

I feel a wee, tiny little spark of hope.

it's quite a bit intimidating isn't it? When an officer doesn't knock on your door and tries to serve a warrant, rather a SWAT team just breaks your door down, kills one of your family members, and gives you nightmares for the rest of your life.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I hope you're right...

I, however, don't share your optimism...

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    AF, great find, and thanks for posting! I used to read National Review every once in a while, but haven't touched it for years now. Too hard on my digestion.

That being said.... WOW! If a neocon bastion such as National Review actually publishes an article stating concern about the militarization of America, then maybe - just maybe - the problem is approaching a point where it's simply too big or anyone, anywhere to ignore.

I did too, but I passed gas and it was gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

As "conservative" MSM becomes more skeptical of law enforcement, the so called "liberals" who traditionally were suspicious of police, love raids nowadays. They lovin' them some BLM...