Thread: Dialect Quiz

Dialect Quiz

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

It asks you 25 questions, and pairs you up with three cities that you speak most similar too, along with three least similar cities. I got Louisville, Lexington, and Springfield, Missouri as most similar (I am from Louisville). My least similar cities were in New England. Other areas in red (which means more similar) were areas in which my relatives live. This is a very accurate quiz from my experience.
    Stop believing stupid things

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It nailed me. I got Atlanta, Augusta & Columbus (all in GA). I'm from Atlanta.

It nailed me too...I got New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport. I've lived all of my life just about 3-5 miles west of NOLA.

My least similar: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Spokane, Salt Lake City.
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 04-19-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    It nailed me too...I got New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport. I've lived all of my life just about 3-5 miles west of NOLA.

My least similar: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Spokane, Salt Lake City.
    They do not speak English in the Land of Lakes . Must be Canadian or something

Nailed it for me. I got NYC Metro

http://nyti.ms/1hXuRHF

Least similar was Jackson Miss, Lexington Kentucky and Louisville Kentucky.

Buffalo, Rochester, Aurora--yeah, the quiz nailed it.

Nailed it for me too. I got Philly, Newark and Yonkers.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Richmond, Chattanooga, Tallahassee. I've lived in each of these states so I'm sure that shows.

Though they didn't give my choice on this question:

How do you pronounce the first syllable of lawyer?
    Should be: rhymes with liar.

Most similar cities: Louisville KY / Lexington KY / and Springfield MO
    Least similar cities: Minneapolis/St. Paul MN / New Orleans LA / Springfield MA
    Actual locations: Las Vegas NV until I was seven, and then south, southeast & central Missouri

And the darkest red patches on the map I ended up with are even closer than the cities are. So: very accurate results.

And the map shown off to the side after you answer each question is interesting, too.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

My most similar are Tacoma, Spokane, and Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

Least are Jackson, New Orleans, and Philadelphia.

Albuquerque? That's "kinda" near San Diego.

Some of the questions did not load the first time. Second go around: Louisville, Lexington, Montgomery.

Live in Nashville. Very twangy, too.

Least similar, Madison, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne.
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-20-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

not really close on mine. but kinda i suppose. im from extreme north ga, fannin county. Birmingham was the closest.

Interesting.

I live in Indiana, but the quiz listed me as "highly likely" to be from California. Fresno, in particular!

I'm guessing that's due to a couple of reasons. First, I've spent the last fifteen years driving a truck all over the U.S. so there's a good chance I have unconsciously added words to my vocabulary that aren't from my "native" area.

Also, there are words and phrases spoken in my region that I don't use myself because I think they sound... weird. For instance, nobody I know in Indiana pronounces the word "aunt" as "AH-nt." Everyone pronounces it "ant" just like the insect. Of course, when I say "AH-nt" everyone suspects I'm "puttin' on airs and actin' high-falutin'" as we Hoosiers say!

Denver, Amarillo, and Jacksonville. I've never been to these places, the first two are within a few states of my hometown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It misplaced me lol

http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I got yonkers, jersey city and newark. Growing up in NJ will do that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I got yonkers, jersey city and newark. Growing up in NJ will do that to you.
    Wat? Youse from Joisey?

Somewhat close. All in the Midwest.

Toledo wasn't too far off.

The other two were near KC. I've never been to Missouri but I give them points for it. It's understandable how they might think that.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Interesting.

Santa Rosa, CA
    San Jose, CA
    Reno, NV

I've lived in California, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Kansas. I lived in Bakersfield and Laguna Niguel for approximately ten years when I was young, so I suppose the test was pretty accurate.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

I got Newark/Paterson, NJ - Baltimore, MD - Winston-Salem NC.

I've been to Newark and Paterson, NJ as well as Baltimore many times. Couldn't stand them.

Winston-Salem, I've passed through many times on trips back home to Tennessee.

A lot of my normal terminology and pronunciation wasn't actually on the given lists though.