Thread: US orange production hit by disease, juice prices soar

US orange production hit by disease, juice prices soar

http://news.yahoo.com/us-orange-prod...041824793.html

A citrus disease spread by a tiny insect has devastated Florida's orange crop, which is expected to be the worst in nearly 30 years, and sent juice prices soaring on New York markets.

The culprit? The gnat-sized Asian citrus psyllid, which is infecting citrus trees across the Sunshine State with huanglongbing, or citrus greening disease, which causes fruit to taste bitter and fall from trees too soon.

"It feels we are losing the fight," said Ellis Hunt, the head of a family-run citrus farm spread over about 5,000 acres (2,000 hectares) in the central Florida town of Lake Wales.

The deadly bacteria has slashed his annual production over the past few years from one million boxes of fruit to 750,000.

Citrus greening disease has become such a problem this year that the US government has lowered its forecast for the upcoming harvest four times.

The latest figures, published earlier this month by the US Department of Agriculture, predict production of 110 million boxes of fruit, or roughly 4.95 million tons.

That is 18 percent less than last year, and the lowest since 1985, when citrus groves were hit by a deep freeze. It is also far from the record 244 million boxes collected in 1998.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Juice, fruits and vegetables, meats, gas, taxes, insurance, etc.

There once was a time when everything was cheap,
    But now prices nearly puts a man to sleep.
    When we pay our grocery bill,
    We just feel like making our will --
    I remember when dry goods were cheap as dirt,
    We could take two bits and buy a dandy shirt.
    Now we pay three bucks or more,
    Maybe get a shirt that another man wore --
    Tell me how can a poor man stand such times and live?

Well, I used to trade with a man by the name of Gray,
    Flour was fifty cents for a twenty-four pound bag.
    Now it's a dollar and a half beside,
    Just like a-skinning off a flea for the hide --

Oh, the schools we have today ain't worth a cent,
    But they see to it that every child is sent.
    If we don't send everyday,
    We have a heavy fine to pay --

Prohibition's good if 'tis conducted right,
    There's no sense in shooting a man 'til he shows flight.
    Officers kill without a cause,
    They complain about funny laws --

Most all preachers preach for gold and not for souls,
    That's what keeps a poor man always in a hole.
    We can hardly get our breath,
    Taxed and schooled and preached to death --

Oh, it's time for every man to be awake,
    We pay fifty cents a pound when we ask for steak.
    When we get our package home,
    A little wad of paper with gristle and a bone --

Well, the doctor comes around with a face all bright,
    And he says in a little while you'll be all right.
    All he gives is a humbug pill,
    A dose of dope and a great big bill --

This has been going on for some time and they are losing the battle. I drink mostly grapefruit ,grape ,apple , cranberry.I like orange juice , it gives me heartburn .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This has been going on for some time and they are losing the battle. I drink mostly grapefruit ,grape ,apple , cranberry.I like orange juice , it gives me heartburn .
    Prefer ice cold tomato with black pepper to all the above. Ran out but just got some compost for the garden and will double the tomato yield this year.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Prefer ice cold tomato with black pepper to all the above. Ran out but just got some compost for the garden and will double the tomato yield this year.
    I like that too.I tilled my tomato and green bean patch today.Probably do some planting there in three weeks or so.

The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Last time I went down to Mexico, they had a huge orange industry.
    From what I understand, the U.S. citrus industry is protected and thus we won't see any of the Mexican oranges or juice.

I like that too.I tilled my tomato and green bean patch today.Probably do some planting there in three weeks or so.
    Tilling the yard and amending the soil with 10 scoops of compost, 1800 sq ft, for....grass. I can't eat that but the woman wants it. So she shall get it. I will get a bowl of wonderful onion soup and a roast beef sandwich as soon as I shower. Good trade. Garden starts next week.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    All that over a lousy dollar bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Last time I went down to Mexico, they had a huge orange industry.
    From what I understand, the U.S. citrus industry is protected and thus we won't see any of the Mexican oranges or juice.
    Got to keep those prices up, so the consumer can pay more.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    All that over a lousy dollar bet.

Oranges will practically be extinct in Florida in a few years , I imagine . I rarely buy any , but when I do , they are imports.

One thing I loved about Germany was the fresh squeezed Cherry juice you could get with expresso and breakfast at the only fancy hotel in town. Couple of things I loved about Spain were the olives and oranges .My heartburn thing with orange juice did not start until I was old

One thing I loved about Germany was the fresh squeezed Cherry juice you could get with expresso and breakfast at the only fancy hotel in town. Couple of things I loved about Spain were the olives and oranges .My heartburn thing with orange juice did not start until I was old
    I don't know whats in pepcid ac, but it works wonders for me.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Tilling the yard and amending the soil with 10 scoops of compost, 1800 sq ft, for....grass. I can't eat that but the woman wants it. So she shall get it. I will get a bowl of wonderful onion soup and a roast beef sandwich as soon as I shower. Good trade. Garden starts next week.
    You are living pretty good ! I worked through lunch , threw some center cut , bone in pork chops on the grill for dinner.