Thread: Raimondo: The Establishment’s War on Rand Paul

Raimondo: The Establishment’s War on Rand Paul

The Establishment’s War on Rand Paul
    They’re out to get him

by Justin Raimondo
    April 18, 2014

The war is on – no, not that war, this war: I’m talking about the GOP establishment’s war on Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, whose presidential campaign has taken wing and soared. And it isn’t just the Karl Roves and Peter Kings of this world who are up in arms over the prospect of an anti-interventionist libertarian in the White House: they’re getting plenty of tactical support from "liberals" like David Corn.

Why do they hate him?

The Rovians hate him because he challenges the whole Fox News-neocon right-wing paradigm that has kept the GOP a dwindling minority party ever since the Bush era ended with a whimper. The progressives hate him because he is the most likely candidate – at the moment – to be facing Hillary Clinton in 2016, and they know they’ll have a hard time selling a candidate who still refuses to second guess her 2003 vote for the Iraq war. So the two groups have a common enemy – which, in politics, is enough to cement a working alliance between two supposedly antithetical forces.

Of course they aren’t really antithetical: while Establishment Republicans and Establishment Democrats duke it out every election, it’s not an ideological fight so much as a battle for the spoils. And when it comes to foreign policy, "politics stops at the water’s edge," as that old reprobate Arthur Vandenberg used to say: left and right are united for the Empire.

more:
    http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...-on-rand-paul/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One nice thing about this piece is it quotes from Rand from the time he was working on his father's campaign, and explained in RON Paul terms the problem with the Iraq war and similar interventions. It does sound clear Rand at heart is in his father's camp on foreign policy issues, despite the careful parsing he is doing for his own campaign. See also the transcripts from his filibuster last year, his remarks were much more openly or radically critical of intervention, militarism and their consequences than his current "official" speeches and interviews suggest.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 04-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

The Establishment’s War on Rand Paul - Justin Raimondo

The war is on – no, not that war, this war: I’m talking about the GOP establishment’s war on Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, whose presidential campaign has taken wing and soared. And it isn’t just the Karl Roves and Peter Kings of this world who are up in arms over the prospect of an anti-interventionist libertarian in the White House: they’re getting plenty of tactical support from "liberals" like David Corn.

Why do they hate him?

The Rovians hate him because he challenges the whole Fox News-neocon right-wing paradigm that has kept the GOP a dwindling minority party ever since the Bush era ended with a whimper. The progressives hate him because he is the most likely candidate – at the moment – to be facing Hillary Clinton in 2016, and they know they’ll have a hard time selling a candidate who still refuses to second guess her 2003 vote for the Iraq war. So the two groups have a common enemy – which, in politics, is enough to cement a working alliance between two supposedly antithetical forces.

Of course they aren’t really antithetical: while Establishment Republicans and Establishment Democrats duke it out every election, it’s not an ideological fight so much as a battle for the spoils. And when it comes to foreign policy, "politics stops at the water’s edge," as that old reprobate Arthur Vandenberg used to say: left and right are united for the Empire.

Full story: h ttp://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/04/17/the-establishments-war-on-rand-paul/
    Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Nice that Justin is on Rand's side today, but I am sure that he'll flip/flop again in a few days or weeks against Rand. Justin is completely inconsistent and thus not worth paying attention.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Nice that Justin is on Rand's side today, but I am sure that he'll flip/flop again in a few days or weeks against Rand. Justin is completely inconsistent and thus not worth paying attention.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I love Justin Rainmondo. He isn't popular with the Republicans because he doesn't hold any (that I can see) allegiances to any particular personality.

He's actually been very supportive of Rand after the filibuster. A complete 180

Wrong. Justin has always been on Rand's side, but (not unlike me) he's totally consistent in his political opinions, and calls Rand out when he deviates from that. I don't see the problem.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Wrong. Justin has always been on Rand's side, but (not unlike me) he's totally consistent in his political opinions, and calls Rand out when he deviates from that. I don't see the problem.
    The "problem" is Matt Collins doesn't like it when someone says mean things about his boss.

Well Justin does it too.

Quote Originally Posted by DP714 View Post
    A complete 180
    And therein lies the problem. But I would say that the problem is he is so fickle that it is impossible to take him seriously.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    The "problem" is Matt Collins doesn't like it when someone says mean things about his boss.
    LULz, Rand is NOT my boss.

I remember him writing a piece after the filibuster saying that it changed his opinion about Rand. If not a Rand detractor before, he was certainly a big Rand skeptic prior. He sees now that Rand is the only person with a platform that can reach the non political speaking for our side of issues of war and peace.

People definitely conflate criticizing something Rand does with disliking Rand or even disowning him. You are right to point out the very distinct difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I second that:

Well done Justin

Justin is completely inconsistent
    As is Rand.

And therein lies the problem. But I would say that the problem is he is so fickle that it is impossible to take him seriously.
    Justin Raimondo is one of the least fickle people writing on the Internetz. There's a difference between being "fickle" and making a pragmatic decision, while reserving the right to criticize when necessary.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    As is Rand.
    No, Rand has been pretty much consistent on most everything that matters.

Since the filibuster he's been defending Rand against the other hipster libertarians. You haven't noticed that?

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Since the filibuster he's been defending Rand against the other hipster libertarians. You haven't noticed that?
    No, I quit reading him years ago when I realized how fickle and inconsistent he was.

No, I quit reading him years ago when I realized how fickle and inconsistent he was.
    For anyone who doesn't know, Raimondo was working with Murray Rothbard as part of the Radical Caucus of the Libertarian Party in the 1970s. He's literally been writing and advocating for a free society for longer than Collins has been alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

As I told you before, he's not fickle at all. You (and some others) want a cult of personality, where everyone blindly follows and accepts a certain candidate no matter what. Those of us who are consistent in our political opinions will never give you that.

id still say raimondo is miles ahead of the resident trolls here.. he apologized to rand well over a year ago. this also says he has a rather agile mind to see things before it is all spelled out for him. quite frankly anybody who can't read between the lines shouldn't be in politics in the first place
    Last edited by jtstellar; 04-20-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Politically I think he is inconsistent. On the actual issues he isn't.