Thread: Rand Declines To Publicly Explain Reasons for McConnell Endorsement

Rand Declines To Publicly Explain Reasons for McConnell Endorsement

Curious indeed...

h xxp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/17/rand-paul-mitch-mcconnell_n_5167399.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is it with huffington post that every time I click on one of their links the browser freezes, stuff starts playing, can't scroll, can't switch tabs and all kinds of other stuff. Cripes. No wonder the U.S. has the slowest Internet speeds on the planet. This kind of crap loading and doing whatever it wants. This is the kind of "innovation" that actually cripples infrastructure.

I gave up on it, anaconda. It's just not that important to me to let that site run amok.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Speaking of laggy websites...has anyone else been having trouble with zerohedge lately?

It's always been a bit slow, but now it's absurd.

It's taking me ~10-15 minutes to post a brief comment....the thing freezes up after every other word I type.

...and I know it's not my computer, I don't have this problem anywhere else.

Who else is forced to publicly explain endorsements? Anyone? McFly? Oh yeah, just the Pauls...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

you really gotta feel for rand.. he's under attack from so many sides it's like he has to hold on whatever raft there is, whoever is willing to work with him however temporarily. unless you're suggesting he should seek of the help of our 3 resident trolls

Isn't Rand supporting all incumbent GOP senators? Just say that, because its important that the republicans regain the majority in the Senate and when incumbents get primaried it is usually higher risk for the new candidate. Most people should accept that as the reason, no need to try and justify it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    What is it with huffington post that every time I click on one of their links the browser freezes, stuff starts playing, can't scroll, can't switch tabs and all kinds of other stuff. Cripes. No wonder the U.S. has the slowest Internet speeds on the planet. This kind of crap loading and doing whatever it wants. This is the kind of "innovation" that actually cripples infrastructure.

I gave up on it, anaconda. It's just not that important to me to let that site run amok.
    Here's a similar version:

h ttp://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/04/rand-paul-mcconnell-endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Who else is forced to publicly explain endorsements? Anyone? McFly? Oh yeah, just the Pauls...
    Since the endorsement Rand has always deferred to a rather short and succinct line or two of explanation. But declining to do so publicly now, seems to represent a change of some sort. Politics can be very nuanced. And at other times things can be interpreted to deeply.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At this point, I don't know what kind of answer he could give that will not set off some media outlet, rather than play to his favor.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    At this point, I don't know what kind of answer he could give that will not set off some media outlet, rather than play to his favor.
    Great point. Yet, he managed to set them off anyway. Maybe he figures that it will result in an overall positive. If I were Mitch, however, I would not be too thrilled with this.

Republicans: You can't vote for him! He's not really a Republican!

Democrats: Ignore him! He's not a Democrat!!

Us: And If you can find someone in Washington who makes half as much sense and has half as principled a voting record, vote for them too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Rand Paul lives in Mother Jones and the Huffington Posts' little heads. I can't imagine anything less of a story in American politics, than a Junior Senator endorsing the Senior Senator and Senate Party Leader from his own state for reelection.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Isn't Rand supporting all incumbent GOP senators? Just say that, because its important that the republicans regain the majority in the Senate and when incumbents get primaried it is usually higher risk for the new candidate. Most people should accept that as the reason, no need to try and justify it further.
    This is what I thought. It makes sense because he still needs unity in order to get the nomination. Even without his endorsement, Paul supporters can still support these candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    He's either supporting them or impartial. Rand is not going to endorse Lindsey Graham, but he isn't going to endorse one of his challengers either. This is good politics. An incumbent Senator should almost never endorse a senate primary challenger and an incumbent representative should almost never endorse a house primary challenger.

Anyone know of an instance where any senator/rep. endorsed the opponent of an incumbent in his own state? Supporting the incumbent seems to be essentially "required" across the board.

Michael Reagan understood it this way (from 3/17/14):
    At CPAC Sen. Paul had a personal victory, but he also did the right thing for the GOP. He went out of his way to give his full support to fellow Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, who’s up for reelection.

It wasn’t because Sen. Paul is moving to the McConnell center of the GOP, it was because he wants his party to win the U.S. Senate in the fall.

A Republican Senate is Prize Number One. Making friends and cementing cracks in the party is what’s most important right now and Sen. Paul understands that side of the equation.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/couri...599fac94c.html
    Also, as I posted in another thread, when Rand Leaves to become president , McConnell can return the favor by supporting Matt Bevin to replace him. Maybe that's part of the package?

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Also, as I posted in another thread, when Rand Leaves to become president , McConnell can return the favor by supporting Matt Bevin to replace him. Maybe that's part of the package?
    We need to elect Bevin this year, and then hope Rand's influence can get someone like Massie appointed senator when he becomes president. Rand as president, Bevin + Massie as senators, and down the road we can replace our US Reps with liberty candidates. I don't really think Bevin will have support from the Rand forces if he loses, and almost assuredly not the McC machine.

Once Bevin wins the primary and Rand is able to go all out for him, I think it will smooth a lot of feelings over. And Bevin, for his part, is one of Rand's donors and supporters, and I think he will be a great ally and not harbor any ill feelings. The Kentucky tea partiers on the other hand, will remember the endorsement if Bevin should lose... and the establishment, media and Cruz supporters all have motivation to play up it up to divide Rand's support. So it's just better in every way that Bevin wins now. And it is my belief that that is not subject to some insurmountable forces with which we cannot contend - any more than Rand's race was - but entirely in our hands.

If we wanted to increase our numbers in the senate as badly as we wanted to elect Ron and Rand, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we would win this race. The question is: how badly do we want it?
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Endorsements to the elected officials mean nothing...

Here is Ron Paul talking about this in his own words:

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by TheTyke View Post
    We need to elect Bevin this year, and then hope Rand's influence can get someone like Massie appointed senator when he becomes president. Rand as president, Bevin + Massie as senators, and down the road we can replace our US Reps with liberty candidates. I don't really think Bevin will have support from the Rand forces if he loses, and almost assuredly not the McC machine.

Once Bevin wins the primary and Rand is able to go all out for him, I think it will smooth a lot of feelings over. And Bevin, for his part, is one of Rand's donors and supporters, and I think he will be a great ally and not harbor any ill feelings. The Kentucky tea partiers on the other hand, will remember the endorsement if Bevin should lose... and the establishment, media and Cruz supporters all have motivation to play up it up to divide Rand's support. So it's just better in every way that Bevin wins now. And it is my belief that that is not subject to some insurmountable forces with which we cannot contend - any more than Rand's race was - but entirely in our hands...
    Hope you're right! After reading your answer, I remembered that Trey Grayson is moving back to Kentucky. I suppose McConnell still prefers him. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t=Trey+Grayson

I know people here think his endorsement of McConnell is a good/smart political move to play within the "game" of Washington but it's really really hurting him with republican/conservative/tea party voters.

As TheTyke said, I think all (or most) will be forgiven if Bevin wins but I'm definitely worried about some major backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Anyone know of an instance where any senator/rep. endorsed the opponent of an incumbent in his own state? Supporting the incumbent seems to be essentially "required" across the board.

Michael Reagan understood it this way (from 3/17/14):

I do not see McConnell ever supporting Bevin. Massie is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by serenityrick View Post
    I know people here think his endorsement of McConnell is a good/smart political move to play within the "game" of Washington but it's really really hurting him with republican/conservative/tea party voters.

As TheTyke said, I think all (or most) will be forgiven if Bevin wins but I'm definitely worried about some major backfire.
    This is 100% true and reflects extremely poorly on republican/conservative/tea party voters. These are the people holding "Keep Govt Out of My Medicare" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDavis View Post
    He's either supporting them or impartial. Rand is not going to endorse Lindsey Graham, but he isn't going to endorse one of his challengers either. This is good politics. An incumbent Senator should almost never endorse a senate primary challenger and an incumbent representative should almost never endorse a house primary challenger.
    It is good politics with respect to McConnell because McConnell is Minority Leader and if Paul crosses him he is put in an impossible situation in terms of his own agenda in the Senate. Making an open enemy of McConnell would have been stupid as he'd be forced to push his agenda from the Senate Doghouse and at every turn McConnell would be conspiring with Reid to use procedural tricks to shut Rand down and stymie his goals. On the other hand, if McConnell thinks Rand will back him in re-election, Rand gets treated like a King to ensure that he will ultimately come through (which is exactly what happened).

Lindsey is another story. Rand should stay out of the conflict for now, but once the run off is set I wouldn't mind Rand jumping in if polls suggest the race is going to be close. A Rand endorsement in a close run off race would ensure that Lindsey goes down to defeat and that would be great for Rand because it would demonstrate to the rest of the Senate and to the country that he is the most powerful Republican in the country and a man to be feared. But for that to happen either Mace or Bright need to do their part too and get within striking distance. It is kind of like the Revolutionary War where America wasn't able to win open backing of France until they proved themselves in the Battle of Saratoga.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    It is good politics with respect to McConnell because McConnell is Minority Leader and if Paul crosses him he is put in an impossible situation in terms of his own agenda in the Senate. Making an open enemy of McConnell would have been stupid as he'd be forced to push his agenda from the Senate Doghouse and at every turn McConnell would be conspiring with Reid to use procedural tricks to shut Rand down and stymie his goals. On the other hand, if McConnell thinks Rand will back him in re-election, Rand gets treated like a King to ensure that he will ultimately come through (which is exactly what happened).

Lindsey is another story. Rand should stay out of the conflict for now, but once the run off is set I wouldn't mind Rand jumping in if polls suggest the race is going to be close. A Rand endorsement in a close run off race would ensure that Lindsey goes down to defeat and that would be great for Rand because it would demonstrate to the rest of the Senate and to the country that he is the most powerful Republican in the country and a man to be feared. But for that to happen either Mace or Bright need to do their part too and get within striking distance. It is kind of like the Revolutionary War where America wasn't able to win open backing of France until they proved themselves in the Battle of Saratoga.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RonPaulMall again.