Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KY bill allowing Rand Paul to run for Senate and President dies in session

Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    If Rand wins the nomination he is going to be on Ky's ballot as the republican presidential candidate and someone else will be running for senate.

Any other dealings would be seen as/attacked for being the guy who won't break up with his current girlfriend till he has another lined up.
    It'll make him look cheesy, like he doesn't expect to win, insincere, etc in the minds of too many voters.

Not the way it should be, but the way it is. Just sayin.

"Rand Paul for president? Nah, that guys running for Senator, isn't he?" Late night jokers will have a hay day.
    I tend to agree with this. Unless perhaps Rand can present himself as an underdog fighting for The People who simply must continue to be a force in the federal government, one way or another. In other words, that his dual candidacy is for The People, not for himself. That might be a hard sell in a low-information and spiteful society that absorbs the main stream media talking points for its own world view.
    Last edited by anaconda; 04-20-2014 at 06:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm almost starting to think that Rand would be better off waiting until 2020. Keep his Senate seat (which won't be an issue in 2020) and let the voters experience four more years of buyers remorse. It also might be quite a wake up call if Rand essentially said, in a speech regarding his 2016 candidacy, that not enough Americans appear to be ready to take on the establishment and fight for liberty. But that he can help wage the fight by continuing on in the Senate. He might have to start telling the truth to Americans about how the world really works. And make the establishment really OWN whatever transpires from 2017 through January 2021.
    Last edited by anaconda; 04-20-2014 at 06:20 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I'm almost starting to think that Rand would be better off waiting until 2020. Keep his Senate seat (which won't be an issue in 2020) and let the voters experience four more years of buyers remorse. It also might be quite a wake up call if Rand essentially said, in a speech regarding his 2016 candidacy, that not enough Americans appear to be ready to take on the establishment and fight for liberty. But that he can help wage the fight by continuing on in the Senate. He might have to start telling the truth to Americans about how the world really works. And make the establishment really OWN whatever transpires from 2017 through January 2021.
    He should run for president in 2020, for his second term.
    In the long run the GOP will inevitably become more libertarian anyway, but the way I see it, the stars are aligning perfectly for 2016.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I thought so too. I don't think he will win in 2016. But it will be really bad if another member of the GOP, other than Cruz, somehow manages to beat Hilary. At the same time it gives him more recognition and he can at least see how he can improve. Mitt ran in 08 and it helped him for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    In the long run the GOP will inevitably become more libertarian
    Which means that all of the power and money will oppose it since it would undermine their power and their money. While it may become "more libertarian," it may also shrink into oblivion and electoral irrelevance. High school civics books will talk about the years when there were actually two separate major political parties in the U.S. The American People have demonstrated a profound willingness to be programmed by media talking points and inferences. A decentralized government subjected to the constitutional rule of law will be opposed with astonishing inexorability.
    Last edited by anaconda; 04-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.

I think they should concentrate on electing a Republican governor. otherwise, the bill could pass, Rand elected to both, and it costs the Republicans the senate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12