Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    I use to buy a bunch of the non descript ones, - apmex brand, sunshine mint, buffalo/indian head ones -- but started buying the silver american eagles. They have a higher premium - about $1.50 -2.00 more per ounce, but they seem to be what everyone can identify silver as. ala - greater ability to sell. Your thoughts?
    I don't see having trouble to sell those off brands because of people not knowing they're silver as an issue. Anybody who deals in precious metals knows they're silver. And you can always calculate the density.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really wish the Libertarian movement would embrace gold and forget silver. While silver is better than paper it is no better than copper or palladium or platinum. Buy gold, its what nations and more importantly banks see as money and they are the only ones that matter.
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Silver: $19.28
    Gold: $1,288.20

When do you think Gold would be a good buy? Sub 1200?

Yeah , if I had none , I would buy a little @ $1200.

And in small increments.For me , there is nothing I would need that would cost an ounce of gold .

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    I really wish the Libertarian movement would embrace gold and forget silver. While silver is better than paper it is no better than copper or palladium or platinum. Buy gold, its what nations and more importantly banks see as money and they are the only ones that matter.

If you're not too fond of platinum, I'll take all you care to give me.

Personally, I think silver's a great buy right now. I was getting ready to buy some more....

...... right before my water heater failed.....

.........................and flooded my basement.

That seems like a strange criterion. There's good sense in investing in any commodities. And Silver, and Platinum, just as much as Gold, have the added advantage over many other commodities that you can easily possess them physically.

I've heard;

Gold is for kings, silver is for gentlemen, copper is for the poor and paper money is for slaves.

It worries me that government are more likely to steal gold.

Silver has a speculative property that can fluctuate prices possibly to an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That seems like a strange criterion. There's good sense in investing in any commodities. And Silver, and Platinum, just as much as Gold, have the added advantage over many other commodities that you can easily possess them physically.
    I don't view gold a commodity. I don't think you will ever see silver or palladium as a line item on a central bank's balance sheet, because they are commodities.

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I've heard;

Gold is for kings, silver is for gentlemen, copper is for the poor and paper money is for slaves.

It worries me that government are more likely to steal gold.

Silver has a speculative property that can fluctuate prices possibly to an advantage.
    Nah, they wouldn't confiscate it. The gold must flow!

http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2012/01/gold-must-flow.html

Think about what makes good cheap or expensive? Its not like a stock that has P/E multiples or anything. And it's not like silver where industry takes the silver processes it and produces goods for sale X amount of dollars.

Gold can be $100 or it can be $50,000 without being cheap or expensive. It is just a rock who's best function is to store value. Silver is probably closest to gold, but industry is still buying it to "flip it" by a large margin. It has a "flip" value bidding it up, where as gold just has value.

I don't view gold a commodity. I don't think you will ever see silver or palladium as a line item on a central bank's balance sheet, because they are commodities.
    Practically speaking, what difference does that make?

Think about what makes good cheap or expensive? Its not like a stock that has P/E multiples or anything. And it's not like silver where industry takes the silver processes it and produces goods for sale X amount of dollars.

Gold can be $100 or it can be $50,000 without being cheap or expensive. It is just a rock who's best function is to store value. Silver is probably closest to gold, but industry is still buying it to "flip it" by a large margin. It has a "flip" value bidding it up, where as gold just has value.
    What percentage of gold is used for industrial purposes and what percentage of silver?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Practically speaking, what difference does that make?
    They are the ones who control what you use to buy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    What percentage of gold is used for industrial purposes and what percentage of silver?
    You will find varying numbers, but from Wikipedia gold is used in industry at a 10% clip and from the Silver Institute silver is at 53%(Industry fabrication and photography).

They are the ones who control what you use to buy things.
    That doesn't answer the question.

whats the question then?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    whats the question then?
    Practically speaking, what difference do the things you mentioned distinguishing Gold from other metals make?

Practically speaking, what difference do the things you mentioned distinguishing Gold from other metals make?
    It is on central bank balance sheets. They establish what is money, not "the people".

Well , I am doing my part , this week picked up some California gold , an 1849 , 1852 and 1857. Probably though , will go look at some Walking Liberty Halves tomorrow.....

Nah, they wouldn't confiscate it. The gold must flow!

http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2012/01/gold-must-flow.html

I dunno.... FDR did a pretty good job of confiscating it back in 1933.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    He is not getting squat from me . I will not even spend a dime with him on it , I throw them in a jar and take them back to the bank once a yr

It is on central bank balance sheets. They establish what is money, not "the people".

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    kinda, but it was completely different back then regardless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12