Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to silver?

What happened to silver?

It's down to $19.50oz

What caused this and how far can we expect silver to bounce back?
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's my lucky number.

Bitcoin happened to silver!
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I don't see anything remarkable about that price.
    http://www.kitco.com/charts/techcharts_silver.html

It ain't going to zero, like some other things will.

What happened to silver?
    The Lone Ranger had him stuffed and mounted?

I just keep collecting it. This week , I picked up an ounce , two 1908 D halves , a 1944 S half and .7 grams of 24KT gold.

Bubble still deflating?

(Using Erowe1's link)
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I just keep collecting it. This week , I picked up an ounce , two 1908 D halves , a 1944 S half and .7 grams of 24KT gold.
    My kid just got a "swimming" silver round and is getting an easter bunny silver round this weekend.

I'm happy with this price, although I wish it was a little lower, its killing my DCA.

On sale!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I just hope it stays down until I have some cash to buy some!!!
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    It's down to $19.50oz

What caused this and how far can we expect silver to bounce back?
    Naked shorts keeping the COMEX price down?

Coin dealers sell out of silver eagles as quick as they get them, and they have a high premium right now.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    I just hope it stays down until I have some cash to buy some!!!
    I am in the exact same position. Hopefully it's this low in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Coin dealers sell out of silver eagles as quick as they get them, and they have a high premium right now.
    So manipulation and high demand. One out of two ain't too shabby.

So how would a newbie looking to get started with the goal of making FRN profit (or a better alternative?) get into silver?

JFK, I wouldn't recommend silver for profit. It's a store of wealth. It is possible to do so, but there are just too many variables.

Better to always have some on hand, and get it when it's cheap.

I always hope I never have to sell any and can give it all to my kids. If it ever gets to the point where I have to sell silver, I can guarantee you the price will be high.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Basically you wouldn't be able to rely on making a profit from it because you don't know when it will go up or down or how long it will stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

My local guy sells them out as soon as they come in, he is open three days per week and they will be gone the second day.Any gold coins smaller than $20, sell same day they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Basically you wouldn't be able to rely on making a profit from it because you don't know when it will go up or down or how long it will stay there?
    Pretty much . However we may arrive at a different spot . The more worthless an FRN becomes , the value of the silver will likely inflate with it .

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    My kid just got a "swimming" silver round and is getting an easter bunny silver round this weekend.

I'm happy with this price, although I wish it was a little lower, its killing my DCA.
    He is a lucky boy .

Silver rounds aren't worth much on their own, but if you can follow specsaregood's lead and get one that can swim, some people will pay a pretty penny for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Bubble still deflating?

(Using Erowe1's link)
    Looks like the swings have been getting smaller and smaller. The trend is obviously down since 2011, but the ups and downs have been getting less intense each time they happen. Here is a chart showing it starting at the middle of the bubble.

Last edited by 2young2vote; 04-18-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Silver rounds aren't worth much on their own, but if you can follow specsaregood's lead and get one that can swim, some people will pay a pretty penny for those.
    swimming silver round???? whats this?

Arklatex

I could see one buying here and selling at 25 or 30 when the post office needs bailing out or student debt bubble bursts

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I could see one buying here and selling at 25 or 30 when the post office needs bailing out or student debt bubble bursts
    Or the next financial crisis , stock market correction etc.

Didn't you get the memo, Silver never was in a bubble.

I'm seeing it running at;

1 oz Silver American Eagle
    2014 | 0.999 | $23.03

Where I can buy it.

Seems under valued at that price.

I sort of figure;

If at one time a silver dollar was considered a dollar, and;

"The Morgan, Peace and Liberty Seated dollars back to 1840 contain .77344 troy ounce (ASW) actual silver weight of pure silver."

And I'm figuring that inflation has devalued what a dollar was by about;

16,408 divided by 500 equals 32.816;

then 32.816 times .77344 would give an exchange rate of $25.38.

So I'm thinking we are still good to buy at these prices.

I use to buy a bunch of the non descript ones, - apmex brand, sunshine mint, buffalo/indian head ones -- but started buying the silver american eagles. They have a higher premium - about $1.50 -2.00 more per ounce, but they seem to be what everyone can identify silver as. ala - greater ability to sell. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    I use to buy a bunch of the non descript ones, - apmex brand, sunshine mint, buffalo/indian head ones -- but started buying the silver american eagles. They have a higher premium - about $1.50 -2.00 more per ounce, but they seem to be what everyone can identify silver as. ala - greater ability to sell. Your thoughts?
    Sounds reasonable. I buy Barber & mercury dimes , Liberty Standing quarters ,Barber and Walking Liberty halves , Morgan & Peace dollars too for about the same reason . Easily identifiable , more than spot value etc
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-18-2014 at 11:17 PM.

I think the rounds are a great way to introduce kids to real money though .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast