Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIT... Anyone a graduate or know someone that attended MIT?

MIT... Anyone a graduate or know someone that attended MIT?

Would you recommend that school? Would you go there if you had the opportunity?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The thing with MIT is that they tend to run a flunkout program for American students and then the foreign students end up benefitting. I'm of the opinion that it's by design. But if you can hang in there and overcome that model then I'd say that it's a great place.

I do think that MIT is greatly over rated but it's a great place regardless.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Thomas Massie?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Thomas Massie?
    Huge supporter of the H1-B? Is it any coincidence?

Why'd you have to go there eduardo? Gosh. I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Huge supporter of the H1-B? Is it any coincidence?

Why'd you have to go there eduardo? Gosh. I wasn't.
    I have no idea what Massie's stance on the H1-B visa program is.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I have no idea what Massie's stance on the H1-B visa program is.
    Well. More relevant would be his position on preparing American students to compete in the 21st century and ensuring that they have the fundamental support and tools to acheive and overcome the obstacles left for them by the previous, less technologically literate, generation. The same generation that continues to block their path to success because of this fundamental hurdle. It's a social hurdle more than anything. It's not so much his position on the H1-B in itself that plucks me. That whole aspect of it avoids the more relevant disservice to American youth that is happening which is ignored further when the political vampires flip it into an immigration debate just for political maneuvering sake. This is the hurry up and get elected meme that destroys any and all forward motion in actually trying to change the course of history and maybe getting our kids off of the bottom of every list or graph that measures academic competency accross the globe. We've become content to educate our youth how to become useful consumers. Not competitive producers. And this is a product of the previous/current generation. Apollo through Reagan era.

But anyhow. I'm not going to argue about it. I have my own opinion on it and will leave it at that. There's not a whole lot that I disagree with the guy on but the areas that I do disagree with him are huge.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well. More relevant would be his position on preparing American students to compete in the 21st century and that they have the fundamental support and tools to acheive and overcome the obstacles left for them by the previous generation. The same generation that continues to block their path to success. Not so much his position on the H1-B in itself. That avoids the more relevant disservice to American youth and then it's ignored when we bring up the H1-B and the political vampires flip it into an immigration debate just for political maneuvering sake.

But anyhow. I'm not going to argue about it. I have my own opinion on it and will leave it at that. There's not a whole lot that I disagree with the guy on but the areas that I do disagree with him are huge.
    I wasn't aware it was Congress' job to prepare students to compete in the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I wasn't aware it was Congress' job to prepare students to compete in the 21st century.
    I didn't say that it was. But it's certainly not Congress' job to prepare the foreign counterparts of our youth to compete in the 21st century either.

I added to that before you posted, btw.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My uncle went to MIT around the same time Massie did.

Depends on what you want out of it. It's a prestigious school, so it has that going for it. If you can afford it and want to put an MIT degree on your resume/wall/whatever, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

My Son is #1 at his HS. I think he could get accepted at any college. Math & Science is a breeze for him and is in his nature. What school would you consider?

My Son is #1 at his HS. I think he could get accepted at any college. Math & Science is a breeze for him and is in his nature. What school would you consider?
    Depends on what he wants to do. And even then he may decide he wants to do something else half way through. I learned a long time ago that it can't be what we, as parents, want. It stings to have to accept that too. It has to be about what they want. And I'm not saying that's what you're doing. I'm sure that you know that. Obviously we want to help guide them in making the right decisions though. Where do you live? Does he want to go away? Stay home? What does he like to do. Does he actually want to go to college? College isn't necessarily for everyone.

Top spot is darn good though. I'm sure that you're very proud.

My son had opportunities to go to a good list of Division I schools but chose to stay home and attend a Division II school. And it's actually a better school. Just depends upon what your son wants to take away from college. What he wants to do with it. Which one works best with what he wants to do.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 09:40 PM.

MIT, Cal Tech (I knew a couple of grads), Princeton...it really does depend on the type of science he's going for. Statistics? Physics?

Will he get a full ride somewhere? If so, remember that grad school matters more than undergrad if he plans on going beyond a bachelor degree. A friend of mine got accepted to Harvard with a partial scholarship, but chose another school because her parents would have had to sell their house to afford the rest of the tuition. She has no debt.

I'd consider a lot of schools, too many variables to give a solid opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    MIT, Cal Tech (I knew a couple of grads), Princeton...it really does depend on the type of science he's going for. Statistics? Physics?

Will he get a full ride somewhere? If so, remember that grad school matters more than undergrad if he plans on going beyond a bachelor degree. A friend of mine got accepted to Harvard with a partial scholarship, but chose another school because her parents would have had to sell their house to afford the rest of the tuition. She has no debt.

I'd consider a lot of schools, too many variables to give a solid opinion.
    Indeed.

The school that scholarships and hard work can afford him.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I think he can go for very little if any out of pocket cash to any Ivy League or MIT. We live in CT. He is a junior and he has time on this decision. Bottom line is I or we don't have money for his education. Guaranteed he can go for free to UCONN. We visited MIT today. He doubled up Geometry and Algebra ll as a Freshman. Got 106 in Pre Cal as a Sophomore and is taking 5 AP classes as a Junior getting all A's and is participating in Varsity sports year round. I am not trying to dictate what he does. I am simply trying to furnish him with information so he can make an informed decision.

That kid is going to be in demand some place, for sure. That's awsome. Heck, MIT is worth a shot. Full rides are rare though. You'll have a little bit of responsibility but there are always private scholorships to fill that void too. Apply for everything you find. What sports does he play? I'm just curious because we're big on baseball around here.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Cross country, Wrestling, Outdoor track.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he can go for very little if any out of pocket cash to any Ivy League or MIT. We live in CT. He is a junior and he has time on this decision. Bottom line is I or we don't have money for his education. Guaranteed he can go for free to UCONN. We visited MIT today. He doubled up Geometry and Algebra ll as a Freshman. Got 106 in Pre Cal as a Sophomore and is taking 5 AP classes as a Junior getting all A's and is participating in Varsity sports year round. I am not trying to dictate what he does. I am simply trying to furnish him with information so he can make an informed decision.
    So depending on how many AP exams he passes (I assume he is taking them) he will have a great head start on his bachelors.

To give a further explanation, my uncle went to grad school at MIT. Amy's right, if he wants to go beyond a bachelor's degree, where he goes to grad school is of greater importance. My uncle went to Cal State Fullerton for his undergrad degree, for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    So depending on how many AP exams he passes (I assume he is taking them) he will have a great head start on his bachelors.
    No Worries he will pass any and all exams. He will take 4 AP classes next year also. I have not yet mentioned my Freshman daughter that tests off the charts and gets principle commendation. Seriously need advice on son's college. He gets solicited by colleges across the country. Obviously the Ivy Leagues don't need to solicit but I am confident he could get accepted. I forgot to mention he has outstanding charisma and a wonderful personality.

I'd recommend eating rice and fish heads and making a tech startup. It's a lot easier when you're young, and legitimizes as person in any meritocracy.

In my opinion, theres way too many bad ideas and distractions in universities. You won't learn nearly as much as a tech entrepreneur.

Sometimes you have to accept that the next war will not be won with the tactics that won the last.

Well, MIT is a damn good computer university.... I do know that Harvard is one of the "wink wink universities" if you want to go into high level politics.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

No Worries he will pass any and all exams. He will take 4 AP classes next year also. I have not yet mentioned my Freshman daughter that tests off the charts and gets principle commendation. Seriously need advice on son's college. He gets solicited by colleges across the country. Obviously the Ivy Leagues don't need to solicit but I am confident he could get accepted. I forgot to mention he has outstanding charisma and a wonderful personality.
    What's his SAT/ACT score?

You said you were an atheist so I don't think you will be bothered by the secularism of the top schools.

Go for MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, Berkeley and John Hopkins IMO

MIT is top at what it does, obviously.

It also put its curriculum online for free with Open Courseware, so if you want to know more about it and if it's right for your son, why not start there? He can try out a class or two for free and see what he thinks.

Better to narrow it down to the department if you can; some schools are better in some departments than others, although I would think he could get a good education there, certainly.

For example, my degree is in naval architecture & marine engineering. I applied to Webb Institute and the University of Michigan. I was accepted to only the latter. Webb Institute, at a ranking of #1, is very small and is tuition-free, thanks to an endowment, and is difficult to get into My rejection letter said that my math scores looked good but my English scores were too weak. U of Mich ranks #5 while MIT does not offer quite that undergraduate degree; only related degrees.

http://www.collegerag.net/top-10-nav...time-industry/
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    What's his SAT/ACT score?

You said you were an atheist so I don't think you will be bothered by the secularism of the top schools.

Go for MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, Berkeley and John Hopkins IMO
    I took graduate courses at Johns Hopkins, great school--but I wouldn't recommend it to any parent due to the crime in Baltimore. Heard too many stories about murdered students.

I took graduate courses at Johns Hopkins, great school--but I wouldn't recommend it to any parent due to the crime in Baltimore. Heard too many stories about murdered students.
    Good school , but you are right , cannot recommend that area to anyone.I was at the Aberdeen Proving Ground for a few months , stayed in a hotel on the highway ,went to a bar in Baltimore every evening after eating dinner at The Dew Drop Inn or the diner. At that time , I would have to say I would have rated the violent crime right up there with Chicago or Lawton , OK.

I really , probably could not recommend any school I ever attended . If I could go to a school I wanted , I might check out Atlantic University.

Princeton or Stanford.

Stanford is in the heart of the bay area so you will be able to network with all the big companies and startups alike, and land a killer job coming out of school.

Princeton has very impressive faculty. Their CS program is led by people that will be recorded in history books for hundreds of years.

Really any of the big name schools would be fine I just know the most about these. CMU, MIT, Cornell, Berkely, etc..

That's unfortunately an issue with a lot of the top colleges these days: U Penn in West Philly, Notre Dame in north South Bend, USC in South LA, Duke in Durham, U of Chicago in South Side Chi, Yale in New Haven, Columbia's next to Harlem, Berkeley's next to Oakland, etc. If you stay on campus you should be good at any of these, but I guess it's not as fun.

The north exit to the John Hopkins Homewood campus is very safe, and the area around there is great by Baltimore standards. I'm guessing you were at the East Baltimore campus, which is mostly for grad students.

You can take MIT classes free online.

If you decide to graduate from MIT, then you pay the fee- much quicker and cheaper than actual attendance..
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast