Thread: Bloomberg Forms New Gun-Grabbing Umbrella Group -- Everytown for Gun Safety

Bloomberg Forms New Gun-Grabbing Umbrella Group -- Everytown for Gun Safety

He also thinks his "liberal" policies will get him into heaven. Heh.

Michael Bloomberg has no doubts about where he's headed when he shuffles off this mortal coil - straight to heaven, according to the former mayor.

In a interview, published on Tuesday in the New York Times, Bloomberg quipped that his liberal philanthropy - including his latest plan to drop $50million battling the NRA on gun control - should guarantee him a seat in the afterlife.

Bloomberg said: 'I am telling you if there is a God, when I get to heaven I’m not stopping to be interviewed. I am heading straight in. I have earned my place in heaven. It’s not even close.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...not-close.html

Bloomberg announced this week that he plans to spend $50 million of his estimated $31billion fortune to build a grass-roots network to challenge the National Rifle Association and seek stricter gun control laws.

The billionaire plans to strike fear into the powerful NRA and persuade politicians who kowtowed to gun lobbies around election time that the anti-gun lobby was equally powerful.

The current groups he funds - Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America - will now be encompassed under an umbrella group called Everytown for Gun Safety.

The strategy will focus on expanding the background check system for gun buyers at the state and national levels.

Bloomberg told Today on Wednesday that he is not targeting Americans who want to hunt or protect themselves. Instead, he is advocating for a series of checks so that criminals, minors and the mentally ill do not gain access to firearms.

The group will focus on 15 states, including pro-gun territories like Texas and where gun control initiatives have advanced.

It has set a goal of signing up one million new supporters this year.

When asked by Today presenter Savannah Guthrie whether his goal was simply to outspend the NRA, Bloomberg said that it was 'not a battle of dollars' but for the hearts and minds of Americans, to protect our children.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he is unclear on the concept of "grass-roots".
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Do it for the children.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

I think he's also unclear on the concepts of freedom, liberty and the Second Amendment.

And common sense. That too.

And brains.

And integrity.

Hmm.

I'll think of a lot more in just a minute.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

"IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

I'm sure he's expecting his kids and his grandchildren will always be among the exalted, protected class who live in gated communities and are always protected by armed guards.

I think he is unclear on the concept of "salvation" as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Facebook Pulls "Everytown for Gun Safety" Page after Pro-Gunners Grabbed It before Bloomberg
    http://www.activistpost.com/2014/04/...un-safety.html

Well, before Bloomberg and his new club could nab the official Facebook page thus named, a pro-gun group grabbed it first:
    [...]
    That’s right. Facebook pulled the page right quick, as The Truth About Guns reported:
    Well that didn’t take long. Facebook has pulled the plug on the page Everytown for Gun Safety. You may recall that pro-gun forces assumed control of the page last week, after Mayor Bloomberg launched his Everytown for Gun Safety anti-NRA lobby group. The Mayor’s majordomo laughed off the missing link, challenging the page’s [temporary] owners to a duel. While we expected the billionaire anti-ballistics bully boys to prevail, what with trademark lawyers parachuting in to rectify the oversight, we didn’t expect the Everytown page to last long. It didn’t. However . . . there are now dozens of local Everytown for Gun Safety pages run by gun rights advocates. All of which are still on-line. For now.
    Bloomberg’s pals did actually challenge the pro-gunners, which they called “cybersquatters” to a duel:
    “Maybe they’d like to duel for it,” said Mark Glaze, the executive director of Everytown for Gun Safety. “I hear every person on our staff of 85 is a better shot than Wayne LaPierre. Or maybe a bidding war!”

[…]

On a serious note, Glaze said they are in the process of acquiring trademark protection.

“Once that happens, we expect Facebook to shoo these cybersquattters politely off this name/page,” he said.
    [...]
    Nope, no announcement has been made on exactly what rule the group broke by putting up the page (unless “pissing off the establishment and its agenda” is an official FB no-no)…but if Facebook is anything like our public schools in this country, displaying pictures of guns and American flags are a surefire way to get instantly censored.

Yep, it is as if those in power everywhere want to take away not only our 2nd Amendment, but apparently our 1st Amendment if we choose to use it to even discuss our 2nd Amendment.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

What? You mean $50 million of a not-so-secret billionaire's money isn't grass-rooty enough for ya?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·