Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OSAS (Once saved always saved; eternal security)

Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    Exactly what is happening . . .

Faith is a gift from God that God does not take away. Faith is an unconditional gift of His grace, and therefore, it is His promise to keep His children in the faith He has given them. What kind of God would give sinners faith to believe, and then take it away from them? That is too monstrous to contemplate.

Either faith is a human choice, subject to change and/or loss . . . or faith is gifted and guaranteed by God unto everlasting life.

There is no middle grounds for salvation. Either salvation is worked by the mutable will of the creature, or it is worked by the immutable will of the Creator.
    imagine Nang what a miserable life it must be not to fully trust in Jesus' finished work "oops did I just sin? Will God forgive me? Will I lose my salvation"?

wow..........
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the bottom line is people who do not believe in OSAS have a lack of faith in Jesus It is not about us, but Him.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for this post. I've never seen the claim that a number of passages of the Christian bible apply to non-believers and not Christians until I joined RPFs. This is a MAJOR stumbling block for me as far as accepting this concept. I'd like to see how you rationalize this. I may ask questions, but you have my word that my sarcasm will be gone in this case. I'm genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post
    ALL of those verses are not speaking about a believer losing their salvation. THe context of all of them is unbelievers, sanctification, etc...I don't have time now. I'll go over each verse one at a time.
    This is why I can't believe OSAS and Perseverance of the Saints. For me to believe it, I would have to believe that most of the bible was written for non-Christians to stay non-Christians. Many passages warn not to go back to prior sins. (Not rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious) Do you believe that these verses were written to tell non-Christians how to work their way to inherit the Kingdom with out our Lord's Grace?

So, the entire chapter is about unbelievers, not backsliding Christians.
    I have yet to see a passage where either Jesus or an Epistle writer says, "If you believe in "Faith Alone," you may ignore these instructions." Where does it say this?

I think the bottom line is people who do not believe in OSAS have a lack of faith in Jesus It is not about us, but Him.
    Anyone who does not have faith in God to keep them unto everlasting life, denies His Person, His purpose, His grace, and His gospel message.

Yep. It is all about Him. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I lean towards thinking that Baptism isn't required for salvation, but how do you interpret Acts 2:38?

Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
    (John 5:24, John 11:25-26, John 14:6, Romans 4:5, Romans 10:9-13, Eph. 2:8-9, etc.), and the few places that do mention water baptism do not include it as part of one's salvation. Water baptism follows salvation as one of the first steps of obedience for the new believer.

TC-
    Every person in Acts 2 is a Mosaic law observing Old Testament Jew.

It's the opposite. The bible gives us (Christians) directions. Those who have faith, hope and love in God do their best to follow His directions.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Bump for this post. I've never seen the claim that a number of passages of the Christian bible apply to non-believers and not Christians until I joined RPFs. This is a MAJOR stumbling block for me as far as accepting this concept. I'd like to see how you rationalize this. I may ask questions, but you have my word that my sarcasm will be gone in this case. I'm genuinely curious.

This is why I can't believe OSAS and Perseverance of the Saints. For me to believe it, I would have to believe that most of the bible was written for non-Christians to stay non-Christians. Many passages warn not to go back to prior sins. (Not rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious) Do you believe that these verses were written to tell non-Christians how to work their way to inherit the Kingdom with out our Lord's Grace?

I have yet to see a passage where either Jesus or an Epistle writer says, "If you believe in "Faith Alone," you may ignore these instructions." Where does it say this?
    The reason these warnings are in Scripture, is because the visible earthly churches are filled with counterfeit believers; tares planted by the devil, who temporally co-exist amongst the wheat.

God is not mocked, but He is fair. He warns hypocrites who love to practice unbiblical religion, that they will not endure in their fakery.

?????

TC- [/FONT][/FONT]Every person in Acts 2 is a Mosaic law observing Old Testament Jew.
    This happened after Christ's death and resurrection, and it was something Peter said.

The reason these warnings are in Scripture, is because the visible earthly churches are filled with counterfeit believers; tares planted by the devil, co-exist amongst the wheat.

God is not mocked, but He is fair. He warns hypocrites who love to practice unbiblical religion, that they will not endure in their fakery.
    SAID BETTER THAN ME

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    imagine Nang what a miserable life it must be not to fully trust in Jesus' finished work "oops did I just sin? Will God forgive me? Will I lose my salvation"?

wow..........
    Do you think you would still be saved and make it to heaven if you lost your faith and became an unbeliever? Can someone make it to heaven even if they're not a believer at the end of their lives?

It's the opposite. The bible gives us (Christians) directions. Those who have faith, hope and love in God do their best to follow His directions.
    OF course they do. OSAS Believer's follow the Lord too; but we do not believe that anything other than what Jesus did for us saves us.

Do you think you would still be saved and make it to heaven if you lost your faith and became an unbeliever? Can someone make it to heaven even if they're not a believer at the end of their lives?
    where can you honestly see a Believer becoming a non-Believer? In my 41 years I have never met one.

but we do not believe that anything other than what Jesus did for us saves us.
    How Catholic of you.

The reason these warnings are in Scripture, is because the visible earthly churches are filled with counterfeit believers; tares planted by the devil, co-exist amongst the wheat.

People aren't half saved and half unsaved. People are either saved or they aren't saved. All of these verses that have been referenced are referring to believers. You can't depart from the faith if you never had faith to begin with.

1 Timothy 4:1

But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

btw losing your faith is a misnomer. Losing faith does not equate to losing your salvation, which is permanent. Jesus finished that. Losing your faith- for a moment, a day or for a decade does not cause you to lose your eternal status as a child of God. Christians lose faith all the time. THESE THINGS are temporal, not eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    How Catholic of you.
    what are you talking about?

where can you honestly see a Believer becoming a non-Believer? In my 41 years I have never met one.
    I've known a lot and have read countless stories of people who have lost their faith and become an unbeliever. I think you've said that you believe in the concept of free will before, and as someone who believes in the concept of free will, I don't understand how you can say that people can't choose to turn away from God.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what are you talking about?
    You believe that nothing we can do can ever merit our salvation, and it is only through Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross that salvation is possible for us. Exactly what the Church has always taught Glad to see you're orthodox in at least that teaching.

People aren't half saved and half unsaved. People are either saved or they aren't saved. All of these verses that have been referenced are referring to believers. You can't depart from the faith if you never had faith to begin with.

But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
    The fact that some people fall away from the faith does not mean that they were ever saved, but that they had professed to be Christians at some point in time. They knew about the Lord Jesus Christ and professed for a time to follow Him, but then they apostatized from the faith.

btw losing your faith is a misnomer. Losing faith does not equate to losing your salvation, which is permanent. Jesus finished that. Losing your faith- for a moment, a day or for a decade does not cause you to lose your eternal status as a child of God. Christians lose faith all the time. THESE THINGS are temporal, not eternal.
    Ok, so what you're saying is that someone can lose their faith and die an unbeliever and still make it to heaven. That seems like a really liberal view to me. I just don't think it has any basis in the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    You believe that nothing we can do can ever merit our salvation, and it is only through Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross that salvation is possible for us. Exactly what the Church has always taught Glad to see you're orthodox in at least that teaching.
    so why do you add your sacraments, church membership, indulgences, etc etc?

Ok, so what you're saying is that someone can lose their faith and die an unbeliever and still make it to heaven. That seems like a really liberal view to me. I just don't think it has any basis in the Bible.
    I never said that- YOU are equating losing faith with losing salvation- not the same; you can lose the faith, but not the salvation.

These fall away from their deceitful and hypocritical profession of faith, but they prove to never have been anointed with the Holy Spirit and brought into union with Jesus Christ. I John 4:19-19-20

The fact that some people fall away from the faith does not mean that they were ever saved, but that they had professed to be Christians at some point in time. They knew about the Lord Jesus Christ and professed for a time to follow Him, but then they apostatized from the faith.
    Yeah, that just seems like parsing words to me. I don't think that it's possible to fall away from the faith if you weren't part of the faith to begin with. There's no such thing has half saved, half unsaved.

I've known a lot and have read countless stories of people who have lost their faith and become an unbeliever. I think you've said that you believe in the concept of free will before, and as someone who believes in the concept of free will, I don't understand how you can say that people can't choose to turn away from God.
    they can turn away from God but the HS still lives inside that Believer, he is still His sheep; He will not lose one.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, that just seems like parsing words to me. I don't think that it's possible to fall away from the faith if you weren't part of the faith to begin with. There's no such thing has half saved, half unsaved.
    well, that is what I see from those that believe they can lose their salvation; saved, then unsaved.

I never said that- YOU are equating losing faith with losing salvation- not the same; you can lose the faith, but not the salvation.
    No, I think you did say that. If someone loses their faith and dies while they've lost the faith they once had, will that person go to heaven or not?

No, I think you did say that. If someone loses their faith and dies while they've lost the faith they once had, will that person go to heaven or not?
    If that person believed in Jesus as Savior, of course. Losing your faith is not the same as losing your salvation; you did not earn your salvation, Jesus did.

The reason these warnings are in Scripture, is because the visible earthly churches are filled with counterfeit believers; tares planted by the devil, who temporally co-exist amongst the wheat.

Thanks. That makes a little more sense to me, but...
    Then why not say "Have Faith Alone," VS giving us directions on how to act in our lives.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast