Thread: Infants 'unable to use toy building blocks' due to iPad addiction

Infants 'unable to use toy building blocks' due to iPad addiction

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...addiction.html

Rising numbers of infants lack the motor skills needed to play with building blocks because of an “addiction” to tablet computers and smartphones, according to teachers.

Many children aged just three or four can “swipe a screen” but have little or no dexterity in their fingers after spending hours glued to iPads, it was claimed.

Members of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers also warned how some older children were unable to complete traditional pen and paper exams because their memory had been eroded by overexposure to screen-based technology.

They called on parents to crackdown on tablet computer use and even turn off wi-fi at night to address the problem.

The comments were made after Ofcom figures showed the proportion of households with tablet computers more than doubled from 20 to 51 per cent last year.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I let my oldest play a game on the iPad one time... After 5 minutes, I told him that was enough... This was followed by one of the worst temper tantrums he had ever had... Needless to say, neither of my boys are now allowed on the iPad... They'll learn that soon enough and it's not needed.

I've seen numerous people put an iPad or smartphone in their kids hands at church to keep them quiet... What happened to books or coloring?

Hell, as an adult, I'm borderline addicted to the things, I assume most people are... How do you expect a child to handle that?

Remember what it was like when HD-TV first came out? People would stare at them in Best Buy? I can imagine that effect is even more powerful on a developing mind interacting with that kind of vibrant crisp imagery.

there go those assembly workers, who will make my taco now?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

some older children were unable to complete traditional pen and paper exams because their memory had been eroded by overexposure to screen-based technology.
    Then why are they using them in schools?

The iPad Goes to School
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...tional-tablets

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    School's crank out obedient tax slaves that are just smart enough to take orders, but are not smart enough to question them.

Why you ask? Because it's always been that way! (according to the latest updated rotten-Core Valuze history books)...

I'm not anti-tablet at all. They are awesome technology than can be very useful. But to me it seems like this is a case of parents not spending enough time with their young children. It is easier to just let them mess around on an iPad than actually sit down on their level and play with them.
    "There never was a good war or a bad peace." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I am not in favor of electronic toys in general for very young children. There are stages of development that require that a child hold toys and manipulate the toys according to his own imagination. I would not give a child an electronic toy unless he is reading with proficiency at or above grade level, and has large and small motor mastery at or above age level. Kids need to respond to verbal instructions with understanding. They need interpersonal relationships. Eye contact. Touch. Expensive electronics will not replace any of that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Then why are they using them in schools?
    Well, heck. That's simple. Industrial Age logic is obsolete in the Information Age. Technology in the modern classroom conforms to the reality that today's youth, who are the first generation in the history of man to live their entire lives surrounded by technology, are able to self teach before they ever walk through the doors of any school. Sure, we can reference them as toys but, in reality, that's really all the adults use them for anyhow. Right? But they aren't toys. They are the tools that will help them compete in the 21st century. It's the previous generation who are still stuck on tinker toys that are the biggest roadblock to their success. I'm probably in the minority in my view but it's the truth. Might sting a bit but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well, heck. That's simple. Industrial Age logic is obsolete in the Information Age. Technology in the modern classroom conforms to the reality that today's youth, who are the first generation in the history of man to live their entire lives surrounded by technology, are able to self teach before they ever walk through the doors of any school. Sure, we can reference them as toys but, in reality, that's really all the adults use them for anyhow. Right? But they aren't toys. They are the tools that will help them compete in the 21st century. It's the previous generation who are still stuck on tinker toys that are the biggest roadblock to their success. I'm probably in the minority in my view but it's the truth. Might sting a bit but it is what it is.
    Tinker toys aren't obsolete, but I certainly don't think that touch-screen computers are necessarily harmful either. I use my laptop, Scrabble tiles, magnetic letters/numbers, etc. to teach my daughter reading and math. There's more than one way to learn, and she'll be able to choose which ways work best for her. They're different skill sets too--she draws with pens, pencils, crayons and she has a drawing program on her Leapfrog tablet--she likes all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Tinker toys aren't obsolete, but I certainly don't think that touch-screen computers are necessarily harmful either. I use my laptop, Scrabble tiles, magnetic letters/numbers, etc. to teach my daughter reading and math. There's more than one way to learn, and she'll be able to choose which ways work best for her. They're different skill sets too--she draws with pens, pencils, crayons and she has a drawing program on her Leapfrog tablet--she likes all of them.
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say. You said it much better than I did though. I know that tinker toys themselves aren't obsolete. Just that the logic behind the introduction to them isn't as practical as it was in previous generations whereas the digital/hardware technologies introduced to youth today actually are more practical in the information age in which these youth will have to compete. I'm trying to watch my trap lately because even when I read my own posts I see that I tend to come off like a jerk or insulting. I don't mean to do that and I'm being sincere most of the time.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-16-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Unreal. How sad is that?

I guess everyone's got their vice. My kids play angry birds, but no more than 30 minutes - now and then. We try to keep things in moderation... Oh, and they love building-blocks. In fact, my 5 year old builds lego cars and star wars stuff, just using the hieroglyphic instructions they include. Our 2 year old kept putting the small legos in his mouth so we grounded him from small legos for a year.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

"O wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
    That has such people in't."

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Be a guide to your kids and you won't have many serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say. You said it much better than I did though. I know that tinker toys themselves aren't obsolete. Just that the logic behind the introduction to them isn't as practical as it was in previous generations whereas the digital/hardware technologies introduced to youth today actually are more practical in the information age in which these youth will have to compete. I'm trying to watch my trap lately because even when I read my own posts I see that I tend to come off like a jerk or insulting. I don't mean to do that and I'm being sincere most of the time.
    I didn't think you were being a jerk, I just figured you didn't have any kids and didn't know. What I'm mainly concerned with is teaching my kid how to teach herself using multiple sources and methods--and to question things, even me....which she's already pretty good at.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    ...don't think that touch-screen computers are necessarily harmful either.
    OK, it sounds like you are there, using and stopping the device properly.

IMO, there's a risk in viewing/enjoying any passive entertainment at too young of an age - that tends to develop a passive, lite-thinking, entertainment-craving brain/personality within the very young child. That process (in the extreme) even makes too many educational video's potentially harmful in the long run. Kid knows a lot but never learns to think, critically or otherwise.

Early introduction of electronic toys bypasses a lot of brain and fine motor development that needs to happen in the early years. Kids can catch up on technology very quickly. Not so much on the other. In my opinion, kids need to be reading before age 6. They need fine motor, hand-eye, left-to-right progression, and language skills sooner than they are being taught already. That's why we graduate functional illiterates.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I let my oldest play a game on the iPad one time... After 5 minutes, I told him that was enough... This was followed by one of the worst temper tantrums he had ever had...
    Five minutes to play a game is a bit stingy.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

"What hath God wrought!"

Indeed Samuel...indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    "O wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
    That has such people in't."