Thread: Ebola spreads from jungle to urban centers

Ebola spreads from jungle to urban centers

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...-africa-n80351

More than 100 people have died from the latest Ebola outbreak in West Africa. With no cure or vaccine, it is one of the most deadly of viruses, killing between 60 to 90 percent of those infected. Heath officials in Conakry, the capital of Guinea, have set up isolation centers and are screening at the airport.

Passengers with flu like symptoms -- fever, diarrhea, or joint pain -- aren’t allowed to fly.

“It's probably one of the more complicated outbreaks because it is occurring in a very densely-populated urban area, unlike previous outbreaks,” he said by phone from Conkary, which has a population of 2 million.

Dr. Jagatic described it as the biggest known Ebola outbreak an urban area.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not good. Zombie apocalypse time.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...areas-23320074

Death Toll in Ebola Outbreak Rises to 121

DAKAR, Senegal —
    Apr 14, 2014, 9:32 AM

An outbreak of Ebola in West Africa has been linked to the deaths of more than 120 people, according to the latest World Health Organization count.

There is no vaccine and no cure for the deadly virus, and its appearance in West Africa, far from its usual sites in Central and East Africa, has caused some panic.
    As of Monday, the U.N. health agency said it had recorded a total of 200 suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola, the majority of which are in Guinea. That figure includes some of the Mali cases that the government now says are negative. The organization said the deaths of 121 people in Guinea and Liberia have been linked to the disease.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Someone needs to send them hemp oil and organic food ASAP.

I want to know why this is happening--is it Ebola or the Marburg virus? Is it weaponized? Was it caused by bats? Was it caused by Monkeys? Was it spread due to hospitals not sterilizing their equipment?

1976-

The first known Ebola virus outbreaks occurred in villages in former Zaire and Sudan (Zaire and Sudan ebolavirus). 318 people were infected and 280 died. The reuse of needles in hospitals contributed to the spread of the disease.
    https://www.fas.org/programs/bio/factsheets/ebola.html

History of Ebola

There are four types of Ebola: Ebola-Sudan, Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Reston, and Ebola-Cote-d'Ivoire. A 30%-45% difference in nucleotides has been established between these strains.

The Ebola virus was first identified in a western equatorial province of Sudan. The outbreak began in the Nzara Cotton Manufacturing Factory and spread to the Nzara and Maridi areas of Sudan. Between June and November 1976 the Ebola virus infected 284 people in Sudan, with 53% mortality (117 deaths). That same year, an accident in a laboratory in England resulted in 1 non-fatal case of Ebola-Sudan. In 1979, another outbreak occurred in Nzara of Ebola-Sudan, and 65% of the 34 cases resulting in fatalities. Ebola-Sudan was again found in 2000-2001 in the Gulu, Masindi, and Mbarara districts of Uganda. Fatalities reached 53% of the 425 cases.

Closely following the outbreak in Sudan, Ebola surfaced in a nearby region of Zaire in 1976 after significant epidemics in Yambuku, northern Zaire, and Nzara, southern Sudan. This strain, known as Ebola-Zaire, is the most deadly of the four strains. The Yambuku case in 1976 proved deadly to 88% of the 318 cases (280 people). It began on September 1st with a 44-year-old male Mission school teacher who sought treatment for what he thought was a case of malaria at the Yambuku Mission Hospital. He received an injection of malaria medication, and the Ebola virus spread through medical equipment that was no sterilized. The hospital shut down on September 30th, and on October 18th, a World Health Organization Commission was formed. The last case died on November 5th. One case was discovered in Tandala, Zaire, in 1977. The next major outbreak of Ebola-Zaire was in Gabon in 1994 in the Mekouka and other gold-mining camps in the deep rain forests. The fatality rate was 59% (29 out of the 49 infected).

In 1995, a severe outbreak of Ebola-Zaire began in Kikwit, Zaire, beginning with a charcoal worker on January 6th. The disease spread by person-to-person contact and through ritual cleansings of the victims' bodies before burial. Of the 315 cases, there was a 77% case-fatality rate (244 dead). The outbreak officially ended on August 24th. In 1996, an outbreak in the Mayibout area of Gabon occurred following the ingestion of a dead chimpanzee found in the forest. The fatality rate was 68% of the 31 victims. A similar outbreak occurred in 1996 in the Booue area of Gabon that spread from a hunter who lived in a forest camp. 75% of the 60 cases resulted in fatalities. The virus was transported from Gabon to Johannesburg, South Africa, via a medical professional who had treated Ebola patients. While he recovered, a nurse who treated him died from the Ebola virus. In 2001-2002, an outbreak of the Ebola-Zaire strain occurred on the border area between Gabon and the Republic of the Congo. Of the 122 cases, there was a 79% fatality rate.

In 1989 and 1990, a filovirus, named Ebola-Reston, was isolated in monkeys being held in quarantine in a laboratory in Reston (Virginia), Alice (Texas) and Pennsylvania. Four humans developed antibodies without showing symptoms. In the Philippines, Ebola-Reston infections occurred in the quarantine area for monkeys intended for exportation, near Manila. A similar outbreak occurred in monkeys in 1996 in Texas and the Philippines. In 1992, Ebola-Reston virus was introduced into quarantine facilities in Sienna by monkeys imported from the same export facility in the Philippines that was involved in the episodes in the United States.

One human case of Ebola hemorrhagic fever and several cases in chimpanzees were confirmed in Côte d'Ivoire in 1994-95. A Swiss scientist became ill after conducting an autopsy on a wild chimpanzee in the Tai Forest, but the case did not result in a fatality.

Ebola as a Biological Weapons Agent

As a biological weapons agent, the Ebola virus is feared for its high case-fatality rate. Because of its rarity, the disease may not be diagnosed corrected at the onset of an outbreak. Reports suggested that the Ebola virus was researched and weaponized by the former Soviet Union's biological weapons program Biopreparat. Dr. Ken Alibek, former the First Deputy Director of Biopreparat, speculated that the Russians had aerosolized the Ebola virus for dissemination as a biological weapon. The Japanese terrorist group Aum Shinrikyo reportedly sent members to Zaire during an outbreak to harvest the virus.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/intro/bio_ebola.htm
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I want to know why this is happening--is it Ebola or the Marburg virus? ... Was it caused by bats? Was it caused by Monkeys? Was it spread due to hospitals not sterilizing their equipment?
    As for the origins of the disease, that has always been my personal hypothesis. The virus needs a "bridge" to cross over the species boundary. Dirty needles, especially those used on both animals and humans, could have provided that bridge (either by accident or by ignorance or incompetence). The virus can then mutate in the new species. I believe this is also the origin of HIV.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I want to know why this is happening--is it Ebola or the Marburg virus? Is it weaponized? Was it caused by bats? Was it caused by Monkeys? Was it spread due to hospitals not sterilizing their equipment?
    Ebola, Zaire strain
    No
    Bats are the suspected reservoir, but at this point it is too early to tell
    Not likely
    Most victims have been traced to a single funeral in Guinea, where local customs call for close contact with the dead, including the handling of the deceased's bowels (where Ebola is found in the stool)
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    close contact with the dead, including the handling of the deceased's bowels
    NICE, What could go wrong with that?

There's only ONE solution when dealing with an infectious Zombie outbreak:
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 04-20-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Oh, also wash those hands before eating or infecting yourself.... (after handling raw eggs, intestines, etc.).

I've been following the news out of Guinea for a while now. Ebola is serious stuff. And with air travel, a person exposed to the virus could be halfway around the world before showing any symptoms at all.

Has anyone read The Hot Zone by Richard Preston? The book was written twenty years ago, but it is still scary as hell:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Zone-T.../dp/0385479565

Great book. I read The Hot Zone when I was eight. Been fascinated with infectious diseases ever since, lol.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

I hope the TSA changes their gloves frequently since they are used for probing and handling human "intestines" - (lower colon, rectum, vagina and mouth sweep etc.). Those gloves are not just for the TSA's protection! PLEASE CHANGE THEM OFTEN! At least between flights!!!

In fact, it's better not to fly at all. Remember, the infection could still be spread at the bus/train/subway or roadside safety/papers-in-order check!

Best to just hide under your bed like I do each night...

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    Great book. I read The Hot Zone when I was eight. Been fascinated with infectious diseases ever since, lol.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Zone-T.../dp/0385479565
    "The Hot Zone" is an excellent book. My Sister a Veterinarian, lent the book to me back in the mid Nineties. I read another book about ebola after that, I think it was called "Ebola".

Marburg virus is probably an Ebola strain as they are all filoviruses. Marburg had its origins in Africa even though it surfaced in Germany. Ebola Reston is unique as it was airborne and only infected monkeys. It also had the highest death rate of all filoviruses, that being to the monkeys as it was not virulent to humans. IIRC, 100% death rate. It was the only ebola outbreak in the U.S. It is true that Ebola Zaire was the deadliest to humans. A gruesome disease, ebola causes a hemorrhagic fever, IIRC, ebola liquifies cells, people sweat blood, even cry blood. It is easy to see how a bloodborne disease could spread so easily when blood is seeping out of every pore.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Zzzz. This thing burns itself out too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Zzzz. This thing burns itself out too fast.
    so much for that claim huh?

Last edited by presence; 10-20-2014 at 02:13 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    so much for that claim huh?

Especially if it is weaponized.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I've been following the news out of Guinea for a while now. Ebola is serious stuff. And with air travel, a person exposed to the virus could be halfway around the world before showing any symptoms at all.
    That's just irresponsible crazy talk!